Provident Funding Associates Logo

Provident Funding Associates

Having problems with Provident Funding Associates?

1888 547 4050 (New Loan Center)
1800 696 8199 (Loan Servicing Center)
+1 650 652 1300 (Head Office)
851 Traeger Ave., Ste 100
San Bruno, California
United States - 94066-3091
Loan Servicing Center & Customer Service Postal Address
P.O. Box 5914, Santa Rosa, CA 95402-5914

Monthly Mortgage Payment
P.O. Box 513738, Los Angeles, CA 90051-3738
(Please be sure to include your payment coupon with the payment)

Complaints & Reviews

Lousy customer service

Provident Funding is one of the worst mortgage companies. First, they have a bunch of monkeys working there...

Loan Funding Denial

We entered into a Sales Contract for a hangar home in a gated community in Texas. All indications from Provident were that the loan would be easy as we had a previous relationship with Provident Funding. We had a 45 day escrow. Provident advised us on day 44 that they would not be able to fund the property due to its unusual nature. Had they given us some advance warning that the type of property may be an issue for them, we could have made other loan arrangements and extended our contract. Due to their failure to communicate with us, we lost a home buyer's credit and our earnest money deposit. We had sold our home and made trucking arrangements for a 1700 mile move. Subsequently, we are homeless with our belonging stored in moving vans, scrambling to salvage the purchase through other lenders, while also looking for a place to live. We would definitely not use Provident Funding for any future real estate purchase.

• I entered into a refinance of my 264000 mortgage August 3, 2011. My credit score averaged about 800, debt to income ratio for the mortgage would be about 18%, my total debt to income ratio is about 22%. I have bank assets close to $300000 & have been with my same employer almost 14 years. I told the provident agent the house was worth between $350, 000 & $400, 000. The provident person said I would need an appraisal of $330, 000. I was told that $500 was needed for an appraisal deposit and if every thing looked good one would be ordered. I received a call to set an appointment for an appraisal, it was done and came back at $365, 000. This should be an easy loan to close. Provident sent the loan into appraisal review and said the appraisal is not good enough because they don't have comparable sales that are acceptable. This was their appraiser, if their appraiser is not competent enough for them why did they send him to my house.
    When I was informed of this I told them if they don't like the appraisal from their appraiser that was fine just refund my money for acting in bad faith. I was told this is not how this works and I can keep the appraisal but the money was not to be refunded. They told me i could use the appraisal, they won't use with another lender. At this time I am just starting my process of trying to get a refund.

Reconveyance deed

The people at Provident Funding do not know what they are doing! My mother paid off her loan in July 2009. A reconveyance letter was supposed to be sent to the SLC County Recorder's Office to have them update their information showing that the loan has been paid in full, there are no liens on the house, and she holds the title free and clear. Needless to say, the County Recorder's Office never received any documents from Provident Funding. We have been trying to get Provident Funding to do the necessary paperwork, so the reconveyance letter will be sent to the County Recorder's Office. They seem to think that it is not necessary to send any documents to the Title Company who is the Trustee. Well no wonder nothing got done. Provident Funding finally said that they could not do anything further unless we get a "Preliminary Title" report from the County Recorder's Office stating that the reconveyance letter was not received and has not been recorded...for some reason they could not call themselves. When I spoke to the County Recorder's Office, they said they don't fill out any reports like Provident Funding was requesting and that Provident Funding should involve the Title Company. Well, I was not getting anywhere, so I finally got the title company's information from the County Recorder's Office and gave them a call. Funny, that Provident Funding said they didn't have the title company's number when I asked them. Anyway, a person at the title company said that Provident Funding should have contacted them and they will get necessary information from Provident Funding. Now this person at the title company seems like he knows what he is doing, not like the incompetent people at Provident Funding. I feel that I will finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope that this will get resolved soon! It has been 9 months since this whole process began.

On another note…when I wanted to complain to a manager, Provident Funding would not let me speak to one. They said their managers don't speak to customers, even if it is a complaint. It's funny that the managers don't want to know of any problems within their company. I worked for a bigger company than Provident Funding. And the managers spoke to customers, if there were unresolved problems that lasted for months.

Reconveyance deed

The people at Provident Funding do not know what they are doing! My mother paid off her loan in July 2009. A reconveyance letter was supposed to be sent to the SLC County Recorder's Office to have them update their information showing that the loan has been paid in full, their are no liens on the house and she holds the title free and clear. Needless to say, the County Recorder's Office never received any documents from Provident Funding. We have been trying to get Provident Funding to do the necessary paperwork, so the reconveyance letter will be sent to the County Recorder's Office. They seem to think that it is not necessary to send any documents to the Title Company who is the Trustee. Well no wonder nothing got done. Provident Funding finally said that they could not do anything further unless we get a "Preliminary Title" report from the County Recorder's Office stating that the reconveyance letter was not received and has not been recorded...for some reason they could not call themselves. When I spoke to the County Recorder's Office, they said they don't fill out any reports like Provident Funding was requesting and that Provident Funding should involve the Title Company. Well, I was not getting anywhere, so I finally got the title company's information from the County Recorder's Office and gave them a call. Funny, that Provident Funding said they didn't have the title company's number when I asked them. Anyway, a person at the title company said that Provident Funding should have contacted them and they will get necessary information from Provident Funding. Now this person at the title company seems like he knows what he is doing, not like the incompetent people at Provident Funding. I feel I finally will see the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope that this will get resolved soon! It has been 9 months since this whole process began.

When I wanted to complain to a manager, they would not let me speak to one. They said their managers don't speak to customers, even if it is a complaint. It's funny that the managers don't want to know of any problems within their company. I worked for a bigger company than Provident Funding. And the managers spoke to customers, if there were unresolved problems.

Bad service

Provident Funding sucks! I have been with them for four years. I had trouble with my bill pay and that made my payment late and they would not waive the fee. Any other company would do that as a one time courtesy especially since I have never been late. I hate this company so much. I have dealt with Wells Fargo and Bank of America and they treat their customers so much better with respect! Please do not go to Provident Funding even if it is your last choose!

• Nu
    nunyabiznesss May 31, 2014

They are the worst they are not only vindictive towards customers but also the brokers who try to sell their loans.
    They blackball brokers for months at a time at a whim. THE WORST ... PROVIDENT FUNDING IS POWER HUNGRY

Poor Quality

Provident Funding did the appraisal for my property. The information they stated in their appraisal report...

insurance fraud

We refinanced our home loan from provident in 2003.Things seemed fine until last March 2009 when they sent us a letter saying that we had let our flood insurance lapse for three months in 2006 three years earlier.I informed them that I felt they were mistaken and i asked them why it took three years to contact us?they refused to answer and demanded that we pay them 300 dollars, I refused to pay it .I heard nothing from them for seven months.Then they sent me a letter saying they were opening an impound account for insurance and taxes and were going to charge us an extra 350 dollars a month.when I called them they were rude and informed me that they didn't care if I had always paid the property taxes and insurance since I refused to pay the 300 dollars that they could do what they wanted regardless of the contract we had signed.when I called and told them I was refinancing and told them why they rudely hung up on me.Anyone who has a home loan with them should go elsewhere before they try to rip you off too.

• Mo
    Monumentally Upset Aug 25, 2010

Provident is in the process of ripping me off for flood insurance as well. They forced me into purchasing flood insurance when I don't need it and then charged me a $350 premium after I found a policy with an independent agent. They stated the $350 was for a two month period in which my home wasn't covered. Let's examine this, there was no coverage, there was no flood, there was no claim made against any policy and I owe them $350! Hey Provident, go pound sand!!!

Escrow

I have been dealing with Provident for 6 months and it hasn't been pretty. I have recently gotten a letter informing me they were going to raise escrow $300 a month, the result of (yet another) whopping clerical error on their part. Fix it? Good luck with that one--you might as well spit into the ocean--it's the Comcast Syndrome!!! I am seriously thinking about pulling my finances together and paying off the mortgage rather than keep dealing with them. Mortgage companies didn't use to make these stupid, constant mistakes--I rue the day they bought my loan!

unwillingness to work with you

Let me tell you a liitle story about how great they are. Their so great at helping you out, that i decided to let my house go. Every year around August we start to fall behind. Usually only a month. Last year in February we filled out their loan modification packet and sent it in.All we wanted to do was change our due date and see about lowering our monthly payment. They of course said NO to both requests. At the same time we used part of our income tax return to catch up. We received a letter from them 2 months later saying we did not qualify because we caught up. This year it happened again. We fell behind 2 months. We sent them a payment in November for September. I waited 2 weeks and the check was still not cashed. My husband called them and aked why. They said they wanted the full amount (sept, oct, and nov) plus late fees. That they would not cash any checks at all. If we had 3 months of payments we wouldn't be behind. Last year they cashed the checks if they were late 2 months. They then proceeded to tell my husband that our home was now in foreclosure. After only 2 months because november wasn't considered late yet. in novmber we started receiving notices that our house would be up for auction in March. Boy they work fast. I just recently called them to see if we could catch up using our tax return they said we would now have to pay legal fees on top of late fees and the loan amount. Needless to say we let the house go. Thank you Provident for working with us.

• 2k
    2knights Feb 11, 2010

agree 200%, they dont care about the people they "deal" with (screw) they dont want to try and help in any way shape or form, oh we'll send the packet, told this by two people a month ago still nothing, you miss a payment 1 day later you get something in the mail saying you owe an ungodly penalty. STAY AWAY from this "reputable company"

• St
    Stevenskc Feb 12, 2010

I hate this company as much as you. They tried the same thing with me, but I'm fighting back!
    I will be that Trojan Horse that topples this company, the little man will win this time, thanks to the power of the Internet. see www.providentfunding.info

• St
    Stevenskc Feb 20, 2010

My name is Steven K Craig and I am a published author. While finishing up my latest novel, I’m beginning the next. This next book entitled “Mortgage Lenders-Destroying America” is an expose’ on Provident Funding with my personal dealings with them in order to save my home. I’ve read story after story from other homeowners who have been treated so wrongly by this company. I’m seeking these other homeowners who have had their lives destroyed by Provident Funding and their unethical policies. Also looking for anyone else with a story concerning Provident, (i.e. Brokers, ex employees, etc.) Do you want your story told? Seeking some sort of justice? Now’s your chance to be heard! Send me your story for possible inclusion in the book. Please have documents to back up any claims against Provident Funding Associates. Keeping quiet is what will allow these companies to continue “Destroying America”, speak up and be part of the revolution. Freedom Of Speech, Freedom Of Press! Most forums will not allow me to include a link to the anti-Provident website so search ProvidentFunding (dot) info. www.providentfunding.info

Delay processing of payments

I have had 2 mortgages with Provident Funding over the past 10 years. I have never been late. In fact I have never been late on ANY payment of any kind in my life! I mailed my 1/2010 mortgage payment on 1/7/2010. On the evening of 1/20/2010 I got a call from Provident Funding indicating that they had not received my payment. They tried to convince me to make a telephone payment right the and there. I told them I didn't feel confortable until I verified with my bank that the check had not cleared. I went to my bank the next morning and the check had not cleared. I put a stop payment on the check ($33.00 fee) and immediatly called Provident to update them. I told them I would issue a check or would make a phone payment. I also asked that they waive the late fee given the circumstances and assumed that they would waive the late fee given my history. OMG they acted like it was the most insane request they ever heard! I have never been treated with such rudeness and disrespect in my life. Well guess what? When I got home from work that day I had an e-mail indicating that they received my payment that day! I don't know why a bothered but I called them the next morning thinking that it would make a difference. Not! You know with so many folks struggleing with mortgage payments you would think that the folks that are lucky enough to to remain current would be treated better than that. My plan is to file a complaint with as many agencies as posssibe and to refinace elsewhere. Until then all of may payments will be sent by certifiend mail. I hope they end up with their ENTIRE portfolio consisting of defaulted loans! BTW I truly feel sorry for the folks that are behind because if they treat me like that I just can't imagine what it would be like to deal with them under those circumstances.

• Rb
    rbunn05 Jan 27, 2010

Sounds familiar. I mailed my payment on October 10 and it wasn't received and processed until Oct 21, so I was hit with a late fee. I called, as I've never made a late payment. To avoid this in the future, I processed my payments electronically through my bank. On Dec 15th, my bank notified Provident the funds were available, yet they didn't pick it up until the 19th, assessing me a late fee. I disputed this with my bank and the answer came back, well since you paid after the 1st, the due date, they wouldn't pay my late fee. So, this month I moved my payment date up to 1/15, giving them 2 days to process payment. Well, I created another payment for my late fee, also for 1/15. Guess what? My late payment was processed as scheduled, yet, my mortgage payment, paid the same day to and from the same account wasn't processed and I was assessed another late fee. I wonder why my late fee payment, which they can't assess me another late fee on a late fee, they process that one, but not my main payment. They're horrible. I'm going to contact my bank again, write the BBB and the President of the company about this. If they're doing this to the few that are here, how many others are being ripped off. I bet there could easily be a class action suit against them for ripping people off, when they can show bank records to indicate payment was made. That would be like mailing payment, they receive it on the 16th and not process it until later. I never had that when I mailed my payment. I'd believe the electronic process would be a much smoother process; nothing to open or log in.

• Fr
    Frankenstein1234 Nov 30, 2010

Wow! We just had the SAME thing happen. I mailed the check on 11/2 and on the 17th got a call saying it hadn't been received. That evening they processed the payment and wouldn't refund the late fee when we called them out. I feel like this is a scam. On top of it all - we've been clients with them since 2003 and never missed or been late once. Nice customer service. I swear, I own my own company and let people out of late fees all the time because I want to retain their business. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury with Provident Funding. One other thing - we didn't get one of our bills one month so I had to call to find out what their address was to remit payment to. It took me 45 minutes to get the information. I'm thinking, what kind of ridiculous company makes it HARD to give them money? I asked that of the customer service rep when he had to go digging for the address (it's not listed on your previous stub either, dumb heads that they are at PF) and he laughed saying, "oh, you have no idea how hard we make it." Nice.

• Ea
    eafelthaus Jun 29, 2011

WOW!! All I can say is "Thank you, Lord" because our loan refinance was denied because we have a manufactured house. The company we delt with in NJ knew this from the beginning of the process, but they choose not to tell Provident until the last minute, thats when they denied the loan. After reading all of these complaints, it is a blessing in disguise for us! The company I delt with in NJ were also a bunch of shucker & jivers too! All they told us was lies. Everyone who put in a complaint were right...they should be put out of business and run out of town. They treat seniors like they are stupid too. Do they not know that when you get olderrrr...you get wiserrrrr! We are hardly stupid and know they are telling us lies. Most of us have bought and sold houses before and know when the documents don't add up that heres a problem...

Rude, and helpless

Our business has decreased by 80% and our income as well. We contacted Provident because we knew we were...

RUDE RUDE RUDE

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD CONTACT WITH A MORE RUDE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAN THOSE THAT WORK AT PROVIDENT FUNDING IN RICHMOND. IT'S ALL MEN AND THEY MUST HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST WOMEN. THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO MANNERS TOWARDS BROKERS. I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ALL BRANCHES OF PROVIDENT, AND I'M SURE CORPORATE WILL TAKE NOTICE OF THIS BEFORE LONG. IF YOU CAN, AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS. HISTORY CLEARLY SHOWS THAT THIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE BY A COMPANY WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD THE THEIR DEMISE.

• Mr
    mranderson Mar 25, 2010

It's not the entire office that is rude, it's one person in particular - the branch manager. He obviously hates his life and his job and takes it out on anyone he speaks to. The rest of the support staff are actually quite helpful and pleasant to work with.

Lost Insurance Claim Check - Given wrong information

They have the worst Customer Service Rep I have ever dealt with in almost 20 years. I'm actually...

Late Fees and Loan Mod

I actually called Provident to let them know that I was going to be about 1 week late in paying my mortgage and ask them to waive my late fee (my first late payment with them and I have a great credit score.) They flatly declined, said there was no supervisor I could speak with and refused to give me any type of alternative. This is the first time I ever had this type of response and couldn't believe it.

I have since asked for a loan mod package and it's been 2 weeks with no sign of the documents. Guess what, they aren't available online and they won't email me anything. So I've asked for the package again. It's a shame that companies get away with this type of service. I guess it's on to the BBB and more postings!

• Dl
    dlhsr Nov 29, 2009

Go to this Web site from Freddie Mac and you can download and print the Doc's youself. The are required to accept this paper work if you loan is owned by Freddie Mac.https://www.hmpadmin.com/portal/docs/hamp_servicer/sd0907.pdf

mancho Mar 20, 2012

I completely agree, Have the same issue with first payment. Never got the invoice and suddenly I received a called threatening me with late payment fees and reporting to credit agencies. Customer service people are trained to be nasty, mean, unfriendly and everything opposed to what a real good customer service is supposed to be. Unfortunately by the time you have to deal with this people you don't have a choice. Eventually the word has to get out so nobody will have to suffer the way their actual customers do.

Scam Artists

I have a vacation home in Belmar NJ I went through a Broker that sent the loan to Provident funding. The day before my closing they said I had to send in more conditions after I was sent proof from my broker that it was clear to close. I finally had my purchase 4 days late !!! I then had more problems with them not paying my property taxes on time. There customer service does not exist. I ended up going back thru the same broker 10 months later and got a loan with Wells Fargo- much happier now. I suggest every one should do the same, horrible customer service, bad closing practices and horrible demands all from provident Funding Group or Provident Associates. They also have 10 different names they use so beware or this company. If you can't go by one name something has to be wrong !!!

Unprofessional Misleading

I have credit scores above 76o, high balances in my bank accounts, and more than enough income to qualify for...

Rejection of file

I submitted a fully executed loan package for review and was told the clients will have to sign an entire new package because the husband has bad handwriting and the way he writes 2009, looks like 2000! I have never encountered something like this. The other reason for rejection was that the wife dated both date slots on two forms (Provident wants each borrower to date their own date slot). I could see if she did it on all forms, but our Settlement Attorney made her stop when he noticed she was doing it (only two forms, come on!). I just find it unreasonable to ask clients to re-execute an entire closing package and go through a new rescission period for something so small!

Mahmanzar Borhanmanesh Nov 09, 2009

I have had a mortgage loan with Provident Funding for almost 7 years.

I tried to refinance through my mortgage broker. They requested my equity line of credit to be closed which I paid and closed. I sent them the letter from the bank and a copy of the deed that was stamped, paid, dated and signed by the bank.

They requested a court filed copy. which the court did not file until a few days later. I have a small pension
    that the 1099 doc was given to them but the social security area was covered by my CPA. They wanted a new 1099 for the year 2008.

I called my bank and they said it will take up to 10 businessdays- I sent the 1099 for the year 2006 which showed my SSC and the October 2009 pay stub which showed year-to-date pay amount ( payment is the same every year). Today, November 9, 2009, I received a letter that my loan was not approved due to excessive obligation in relation to income.
    If that were the case (which is not correct, since the mortgage company has already received the approval of the income from Provident), why did they then send an appraiser to my house, charging me $455.00 USD. My application was denied two weeks later, which makes no sense.

I have excellent credit, and have never been late in any payment, and the house according to their appraisal had equity much more than the amount of the loan. Yet when I called and spoke to one of the managers based in California, (whose first name was Chris), he informed me that they had received the application from the mortgage company on October 19, 2009, which is not correct. I received the disclosure statement from them on October 9, 2009 (which negates their claim of having received my application on October 19). Then they told me that they do not wish to do business with my mortgage company, but they are willing to go ahead with my loan (which is no help since I have already applied with another bank and it has already been approved as well). Now I have to pay another appraisal fee.

What does not make sense is that they want to go ahead with my loan without my mortgage company, when I had already rejected their offer, and then they send me a letter on November 3, that they have denied my loan. But they had declined the loan a long time before, through my mortgage company.

I just want to say that this is a terrible way to treat and faithful customer, and the Richmond, VA. manager had a very condescending attitude towards me.

All I want to say that the Manager of Richmond Virginia is a very unprofessional and accused me of harrasing when I requested my apraisal fee to be refunded.
    I have called other authorities in provident and they all transfer me to the same Richmond Manager.

Loan Modification

Has anybody had any success with Provident Funding Assc in regards to loan modification. I'm about to hire a lawyer to handle my modification. Like to get any help or hear your success stories.

• Pl
    Plainmad Sep 05, 2009

I have been reading modification complaints on several companies and its the same every where. I think this is a goverment rip off, the just want to get rich, this copanies are doing this because they are getting money from the goverment the more they rip us off the more money they get from the goverment.
    Mortgage companies apparently are not help any one out.

• In
    inna77 Oct 03, 2009

I'm about to do it. Have you done anything?

• Mi
    mikeinfolsom Jan 06, 2010

I submitted paperwork 3 months ago. It took 2 months to get a really generic form letter telling me that my request had been denied. Guess I'll try again?

• Pa
    Pam I. Feb 12, 2010

Any response from Provident on your second submission?

• Db
    dbq,ia Feb 23, 2010

I agre e with all the comments. We have tried with assist from a company that specializes in loan modification and they have said they have never dealt with a company of this caliber. They request information and when received they say they had requested something different and we have any the requests that would make them liars. Then when we faxed the information to person handling the case we were informed that he was no longer handling this case and after the run around was referred to another person. It has been one problem to thte next and all they were talking about was foreclosure. They tried to day they were going to foreclose on a certain date and we had papers from the courts saying we had 6 months to modifiy and they keep dragging their feet. Very unprofessional! Dubuque Iowa.

• Ca
    cali_guy Sep 15, 2010

I tried modification with Provident funding because I cannot refinance my home as it is underwater and I just recently mo job as well. Both times I filed modification with them, I got the same generic response : denied because not in imminent danger of default.
    Should I stop payment and let them know that I am at default before they even start to look at my files seriously?
    I have never heard a success story of modification with Provident funding. Reading all the complaints, it seems like they do not care if you are at default. they will not help you and will try and collect as much money as possible from you as possible from late fees, deliquent fees, etc without help. They do not care if you go to foreclosure or short sale. I have heard which maybe rumors that they are backed up by an insurance in case of default or forecluosure, so the customers going the foreclosure withh not be helped as they are going to get their money no matter what.
    My parent company is freedie mac which was helped by tax payer's money and now the taxpayers are just shovelled off to a ditch, just left to rot.
    I am beginning to feel that corporate america is one big scam and Uncle Sam either closes their eyes on them or is with them. Why else would they not help out the commom american in any ways? But go and spend trillions of our money to bail out their lame [censor] company?
    I paid 2500 to a mortage company to buy a modification package, and they took my money and just ran off and are now out of business. This is what I am talking about corporate america when they are on the sly and are just for your money.
    It seems like " I paid a thief to catch a thief' ---> merchant of venice by Shakespeare. and there is no relief in sight.

Uncle Sam (Obama) has a new refinance help for us that they outlined, but it seems like most of these modification companies, most notably, Provident Funding do not participate in any one of Uncle Sam's Plans. So, where do we stand ? Who do we turn for help? Are we left to rot in times of troubles? When we are doing good, uncle sam squeezes every cent from us in the name of tax, but when we are in trouble, Uncle Sam seems to turn its back at us and blow a big ugly fart!!

sasiegirl Aug 01, 2011

We have applied twice for a loan modification from provident. Both were denied. At that time we were not behind on payments. We decided to stop paying thinking that they would be more open to working with us. WRONG.. After missing two payments we attempted to start paying them again, they denied us and sent back our payment.. This left us with no choice. We chose to file bankruptcy. Agian thinking that they would be more inclined to help. Still Nothing. As a whole this company is a joke. We have sent in again our third set of modifcation papers, but we are not keeping our hopes up. So far from our experience Provident is the worst company to have a loan with. Before our difficulties we made every payment on time and were never late. I wish I could contact the owner of the company and let him have it!

Terrible company

Provident Funding sucks! I have been with them for two years. I had trouble with my bill pay and that made my...

SCAM

DEAR SIR. I HAVE AN EXISTING MORTAGE WITH PROVIDENT FUNDING IN BURLINGAME CA FIVE MONTHS AGO WE HAD RE FIANCE...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices