Pro Oil Changerip off

R Review updated:

Sent my wife to get routine oil change on her vehicle. She returned home approx 20 minutes later and was getting ready to take my vehicle for same. I mentioned that service was quick and asked about the cost. She replied $178.00

I asked to see the bill and realized that she had agreed to an Engine Flush ($32), replacement air filter ($34) and cabin air filter ($50) - all unnecessary in my opinion. Upon further inspection of the bill, I noted that they had identified the SUV with the wrong model and installed the wrong air filter (unable to close the filter housing because it didn't fit properly)

I returned to the business and requested an explanation and to see the replaced parts where I was told by the Manager that they were in the garbage and I would have to dig thru and find it myself if I wanted to see it.

After listening to the manager try to defend the excess charges by telling me that my wife had agreed, he finally acknowledged that the air filter was the wrong one, and that the engine flush and cabin air filter were not necessary.

A partial refund was issued for the overcharges after enduring his rude and obnoxious behaviour for the better part of one hour.

Beware - after speaking to others with similar experiences at this establishment, it appears to me that this business routinely attempts to perform unnecessary services and takes advantage of unwary consumers.

RESOLVED

• Do
    Don Mills Jan 10, 2010

please let us know which location/area this store is so we don't go there.

I have had similar experience with Active Green and Ross at Donmills/Steeles area in Torono

• Ro
    robray May 01, 2010

next time, tell your wife not to authorize any additional services. The whole headache could have been avoided. w

• Dd
    DDIGGER Dec 05, 2010

I had a great experince in strathroy they reset my check engin light for free and the top ups were free no nickl and dime like Jeffy Lube it may be a little mors expencive but the service speaks for it's self

jackb0074 Jan 13, 2011

I had the same problem at the milton store. Would advise anybody thinking of having there oil change done at any pro oil change to think again. Biggest rip off ever

matt123456 Feb 12, 2011

Greatest service ever! i went in for oil change left with a oil change took 12 minutes in the Burlington location, the boys know how to do it there, fast and friendly,

Feb 7 -11

gained a repeat customer, thanks again guys

• De
    dennis1982 Aug 24, 2011

you dont seam to be to smart its not hard look in your owners book for your car it tells you how often to change the filters. if they are are due change them if not dont. how hard is that and if you dont want to get some thing say no wow thats hard i go to mr lube all the time same thing they tell you what you need and you tell them if you want it or not

• Ty
    Tyler123456 Oct 06, 2011

All i have to say is your name is "Rick." I could not think of a dumber name if i tried. I have been taking my cars to Pro Oil Change for 9 years now. No complaints. If they recommend a service they are more then willing to open my owners manual for me and show me they are not lying. These guys didnt spend millions of dollars building the cars and quite frankly neither did you. You are angry with them because Toyota says you need to change your filters and you are too dumb to figure that out yourself? Hope you find a better shop then "Rick."

• To
    torkerob Apr 25, 2012

I notice they do not advertize the cost of the service which makes me suspicious

• Th
    thumperkevyn Nov 16, 2012

These stores perform fluid changes and certain services that are manufacturer recommended...As others have stated, open your owners manual, get one or two things done at a time and if you find the service satisfactory, go back the next time and develop a relationship with the shop. For anyone complaining about the prices...go get the supplies yourself and good luck in your driveway...

macarthur Aug 19, 2013

For the first time, I went to Pro Oil Change for a standard lube, oil, filter and general check. The oil change was performed so quickly that the old oil was not drained properly. Fortunately, I was watching and confronted the person doing the oil change, and had him undo the plug so the dirty oil could be drained. A fair amount of oil was subsequently drained. The door hinges could not be lubricated because they had no lubricant. I asked that the outer tie rod end be lubricated (one side was replaced and is not an enclosed unit.) It turns out they don't have the appropriate part to lubricate either the outer tie rod end or the lower ball joints. Despite not doing the lubrication, it was marked off as completed on my invoice. It turns out the computer automatically marks as completed even when the work isn't done. I met with management about these irregularities, but wasn't satisfied that my experience was an isolated incident. It appears that Pro Oil Change prides itself on doing a fast oil change at the expense of doing a quality job.

• Mi
    Mishka44 Sep 06, 2013

My boyfriend took his car to the Milton location - 3 weeks later there was 0.5L of oil and the engine was dead. It is going to cost 7.5K to replace engine ... I would NEVER go back here. Now just trying to at least receive a discount for the oil change ... or lack there of

StephenJoseph Sep 09, 2013

I've been to the St.Catherine's and Grimsby location numerous times, excellent service, the guys there are very thorough. and am always in and out, I recommend all my friends and family to any of these locations.

• Pa
    Paula Mclaren Apr 26, 2018

@StephenJoseph the Grimsby Pro Oil is not a good place, twice I have had issues with the ability to do anything prfessional...stay away...

• Vi
    vivman Feb 04, 2014

Had a problem with pro oil change at Bradford, Ont. Took advantage of a coupon for rust proofing. What did they do spray the underside with re cycled oil. No ports drilled or rust proof injected. What a rip off. Never going back.

• Sh
    ShawnJones07 Feb 11, 2014

I've been going to Pro Oil Change in Grimsby ever since I moved here last July. The guys there are very well trained and have excellent service. It's their job to "upsell" Just like all quick lubes but the guys they got working there pull out my owners manual every time and just let me know its due for this service.

• Al
    alexi tan Feb 13, 2014

Got a Coupon from LivingSocial for a oil change at Pro Oil In Coquitlam BC, Canada. Service seems ok at the moment. The mechanic told me and shown me that my car need a differential oil change which was $68 +tax extra (seem legit). Drove back home and after a couple days popped up the hood and found out my power steering wheel fluid and cooland were at minimal, so I phone them and talked to a rep. He offer to bring it back so It will be taking care but I live in Vancouver so didn't bother for a refill that is gonna cost me more than buy it myself and do it.

Imagine if you don't know about this and you run your car for a few month like this or until your next visit.

NO RECOMMEND THIS MECHANIC

Strykerrr Apr 05, 2014

Just left pro oil change. They tried to tell me my oil was dirty for a new car, , , no joke, it just drive 6000 kms I'm not stupid!!! That's the whole point of the oil change. Then trying to get me to replace cabin and air filter, , it's a brand new car!!! Service fast but I felt like I was being molested. Very creepy experience. Will not go back!!

Saint John, NB

• Pi
    Pissed off customer1979 Apr 28, 2014

I took my car into the Ajax location on Saturday and by Monday my car said it needs an oil change. I had no coolant no windshield whiper fluid. So I went to my mechanic who said I have no leaks nothing. I also have no engine oil but I was charged almost $90. To top it off my brand new tire valve was broken off which caused me to go and get a new cable done so now I have paid $150 for no service at all. I come back in which it's Monday the manager told me there is a Camara and they will show it to me. Which never happened. Mean less to say my engine dip stick is broken off in the slot. Yet I get regular oil changes and only your staff touches my car.

• Po
    polazza Jun 20, 2014

When they saw that I was little overdue for oil change they told me that they drained only ONE LITRE of oil from my engine!
    I immediately reacted calling them scammers. Told them to just pack it up and finish. They still charged me for full service.
    Told them I will get CBC Marketplace to investigate and I will!
    This place is in Georgetown, Ontario, 341 Guelph Street.
    AVOID!

• Da
    Dave W Bush Jul 01, 2014

I have been going to Pro Oil Change in Ajax from the time it opened, and I don't understand what the hell all you negative people are talking about. Everything they recommend is in your owners manual, they don't make it up. You are those people that I see on the side of the road broken down blocking traffic, because your too cheep to pay for services. Nothing is free, if you get your air filter installed by someone it will cost you, unless u do it yourself . "Rick" why would you send your wife anyways? I don't see you complaining about the gas price its almost $1.45L but if u go to the Middle East its ONLY $0.05L. That means when you buy something from somewhere, you pay the price, unless you dig your own well and make your own gas.
    Everything they recommend is necessary stuff that needs to be done for the vehicle to be running in perfect condition. Every time I go to Pro oil Change I spend money. Yes they are expensive but I'm not getting my hands dirty, just like you don't want to either, so I am paying the price. So stop complaining like 2 year old's. Pro oil Change in Ajax is a great place, professional, friendly, HONEST, and quick. I will always go there, I have found my place. For all you people that don't agree, buy a donkey car, you won't need a cabin air filter, air filter, ENGINE FLUSH, or your tire valve won't be broken as a donkey car doesn't need air in their tires. That would be ideal transportation for cheap people. The one thing you will need is grass, from your backyard to feed to the donkey, which you can produce yourself and not complain about prices. Be happy and live long.

• De
    DestinyH Aug 07, 2014

I'm just writing to let you know how disappointed I am in the service that I received from pro oil change in London Ontario on Ernest Ave today. I went in for an oil change. I asked for the basic package. The whole time I was waiting for my car to be finished they were trying to upsell me. First, they tried to tell me that I needed a new air filter (impossible, bc the one in it was BRAND new... I just put it in the day before) then they tried to say my battery was bad... Also IMPOSSIBLE. It was just tested. Then she said I should get an engine flush because the fluid looked sludgy...

After everything was said and done, it cost me 60.00 for a BASIC oil change and after I left I had to reset my own oil reset button and it said on the paper that they topped up my windshield washer fluid and the warning light came on in my car that said low washer fluid. I popped the hood and looked and it was almost completely empty. Will NEVER go back

• Mi
    Mike . Scott Aug 08, 2014

Pro Oil Change should not be working on cars, they should be changing oil on lawn mowers. The "technician" knew nothing about cars! He should have been working at McDonalds instead. The tech gave me horrible customer service at the Ajax location and Will never return to an other pro oil change ever again. Servicing a customers needs and car is what a quick lube is for, not to try and upsell upsell upsell on every single thing.

• La
    lady kell Aug 20, 2014

just went to pro oil change barrie while there there was 2 other ladies waiting they tried to sell both ladies air filters and air cabin filters for fairly new cars. not necessary. they charged me 82 dollars for an oil change that i got at my dealership last time for 44 dollars. they advertise on there sign outside 35dollars for an oil change, but in fine print from 35 dollars. when they told me 82 dollars i was furious they tried to tell me i also needed an engine flush the vechile i drive is a 2013. they also told me they put in 6 liters of oil and charged me for that and i told them my car only takes 5 liters of oil. this place is a big scamm and rip off they try to get your money any way they can. i asked them to prove they put in 6 liters of oil and they couldnt i am going to report them to the consumers advocate. DONT GO HERE BIG SCAMM!!!

• Bu
    bugs bunny 23 Sep 19, 2014

I don't' understand why are so many cheap people in this thread, please educate yourself in automotive service before call anyone a scammers or ripoffs. Would you work for free on your jobs?? OF COURSE NOT !!! Service cost parts and labour not just how much you think it should be (free).! Just add a little oil and gas car will run forever??? Stupid cheap ### people dont be mad at people who try to give you most of your Car. Simple no thanks will work, wait untill car brakes down and pay your mechanic $3000 worth of repairs or buy a new car and start overl again, hope this will help some of you sleep at night

• Re
    Relyt Ttocs Nov 03, 2014

You can tell on here which reviews on here are written by Pro Oil Change Employes/Management/Owners.

• Au
    auto vigulante el barto Nov 27, 2014

Went for an oil change in Fergus Never Again my dealer charges $59.95 for synthetic oil change with free top ups and coffee and quality parts. Here $85 + 7 premium filter??? Never charged that anywhere else well over $100 dollars maybe my time is expensive ok service was quick but not worth 40 bucks told I needed the usual air, cabin filters trans flush even though my manual says 120 km for transmission service i'm at 60 km if they go by the manual then that's a lie very creepy experience felt a lot of pressure with other customers looking on maybe they should ask you in a private area the other two customers were told they need the same thing as me I think it's just a sales pitch and a scam won't go back will drive 20 minutes with appointment!!!

• Nb
    nbboy_2002 Dec 20, 2014

My husband went to the Saint John Pro Oil Change and the only thing that didn't need changing is the steering wheel. Went in for an oil change and ended up with a new filter and they wanted to flush the transmission. I guess Canadian Tire isn't the only offender that tries to scam people.

• Ic
    IceTee Dec 27, 2014

I went to the location in Burlington Ontario for an oil change. I even told them to use Synthetic ($135.00 for my F150)without them having to try upselling me and they still tried to screw me over. After the guy came and said I needed a new Air Filter, which i had just changed 4000 km ago! Then he brought me a sample of some fluid that I may have been slightly dirty motor oil because it was brownish yellow with some metal shavings in it and said my transfer case fluid needs to be changed every 40000 km. It would be another $135.00. I didn't believe the fluid was transfer case fluid which is red or that it needed to be changed already as i knew the transmission fluid didn't need to be done until 240, 000 km. It has to be done at the same time 240000 km I have 105, 000 km on my truck! Just to be sure I checked the fluid today and it is red and has no metal in it. As well I checked the transfer case oil would be $14 at the dealer to buy. I wonder if they even used Synthetic oil. Places like this give Mechanics the bad name they have. I think I will do the fluid changes myself from now on.

• Fu
    funca85 Feb 13, 2015

to the guy who had 178.00 bill after sending his wife while he sat at home. perhaps your wife was trying to teach you a lesson. hahaha. my wife would have ran up the bill too if I was that lazy not to take the vehicles for their oil changes. I love going ... free morning coffee and a paper ... no kids yelling!... think about it man. I bet you haven't let your wife go back again!? am I right?.. she won!

• Su
    Suz Faz Sm Feb 15, 2015

Ajax Location, Changed our oil last week and our heat in the van has been going in and out and was doing this just before we took it in. A mechanic friend told us to check the coolant level, well to our surprise it was almost empty. (not even 6 days after our oil change) We also checked the windshield washer fluid almost a whole can went in there to! When called first question I asked "do you change top up the fluids" REPLY FROM Ajax location"yes everything accept the brake fluid" SOOOO I said really well just for your information ours was not touched at all! HE hummed and haaaed and said well I don't know.. Then said well maybe cause of the cold weather the levels went down. 6 days I DON'T THINK SO, IT's a leisure van (give me a break! ) I responded by saying well you lost our business and I will be sure to report you!! He said well that is your Choice!!! Great customer service NOT!!!

• Ka
    katwu Apr 14, 2015

I think it depends on which location u go to, as every place is privately owned. I had just started to go to the dob mills and Steeles one..and so far most of the time it has been good. There was one time they asked me to do all these things for safety reason, I never did it because didn't have the money, I should look into another shop'so opinion though. Last time they gave me poor quality wipers that didn't even last a month...If the owner wasn't my friend'so brother, I probably wouldn't have gone there because I had a really bad experience at the bridgeland location. They didn't take out my old filter for my brand new car I just bought within three months, and my engine heated up and gas leaking - brand new car!!! Anyway, I find that different workers offer different things and has different attitudes, but does not necessarily represent the shop as a whole.it is disappointing to hear other people had bad experience there though (Don mills and steels), so I Def am going to be very careful.

• Ej
    e j Jones May 22, 2015

Purchased a Groupon coupon for a reduced cost for an oil change. When completed they charged me an additional fee. I thought the Groupon certificate was the full cost or I wouldn't have purchased.

• Me
    medioza Dec 03, 2017

@e j Jones Watch the fine print. Coupons don't include taxes, anywhere, also there is a disposal fee. All oil change shops include up to 5 liters of oil with their published prices, if your car took more it would be an additional cost. My car takes 4.7 liters of oil, so the Groupons for the local shop here result in an added charge of $3.58 It's not a rip off you just have to work on your reading comprehension skills when buying a coupon. The fine print is the same for ALL of Groupon's oil change coupons. Most oil change shops lose money with Groupons as Groupons keeps 40% too. When you pay $26.99 for a coupon, the shop gets less than $15. Get over yourself, you weren't ripped off, you just didn't read the offer.

• Pe
    Peggy Newton Nov 13, 2015

A similar experience today at the Moncton, NB location. My 16 year old daughter was charged $145 for a simple oil change. The manager said he watched the security video & confirmed to me that she said yes to extras & that she had said the car had about 8 different oils in it plus that she had run it dry therefore the oil additive and flush were necessary. She said neither, simply asked for an oil change as she just recently purchased the car and it needed it, plus the new air filter. The price she was quoted was $3.99 for the flush and $10 for the additive. After calling the manager to state that I had asked my daughter again what was said, he then said that he had 2 guys that could confirm the conversation and once asked said that it was probably on the security video. This is after he took all afternoon to review it?? At the end of this conversation the manager said to come look at the footage and upon my arrival about 15 minutes later, I was refused. After a heated conversation I was basically told to go pound sand and that I would never get the money back.

• Da
    David Zimmerman (MatrixDweller) Feb 11, 2016

All of these places (ie: Pro Oil, Jiffy Lube, Midas, Meinike, and even dealerships) try to up-sell you on stuff. That's how they make money off a cheap oil change. Of course they will offer to change anything that looks like it needs changing, like light bulbs, air filters, wipers, pcv valves.

What is shady is when they recommend things like battery replacement, transmission fluid changes or partial changes, coolant flushes, etc. People need to be aware of the service schedule in their car's manual and stick to that. Batteries last anywhere from 4-6 years depending on the type and usage. Coolant doesn't need to be flushed unless it's crappy stuff. All new cars are filled with long life stuff (150, 000 km+). Transmission fluid is the same. Check it at 75K and replace at 150K.

Bottom line. Know what you need and stick to it. If you don't know anything about cars and they recommend something, then say you'll think about it and consult someone who does.

• Ky
    Kyle Goodwin Mar 29, 2016

I've gotten all of my fluids done here for both of my cars. Pro Oil, always SHOWS me when things need to be changed. Everything they say is in your manual. Today I got all of my fluids changed because I just bought a used car, they replaced my transmission, coolant, oil, and all the air filters, plus an undercoat for 500$. That includes the flush of all those systems. I don't know about you but these guys seem pretty good to me. They never had to upsell me because I asked for this all.

• Kr
    Krista Cyr May 11, 2016

I know an employee who worked for this company, needless to say he is no longer there. They take advantage of anyone who doesn't know any better about mechanics and sell them things they don't need. They claim they have PROFESSIONAL TECHS, they are just basic ppl, some of which dont even have a high school diploma, they are all just trying to make a living off the job, they are paid minimum wage plus a small bonus, they have 2-3 ppl working upstairs and only 1 guy downstairs. They dont provide any employee booklets or regulation policies upon hiring, they just invent them as they go, and if you try to take action towards them well you can be sure your out the door. The employees dont have the luxury of breaks and lunch times, they are all forced to work steady no matter what the amount of hours, the shift can sometimes be 12 hrs. All of them are forced to eat on the run, drink when its possible and use the washroom when you have the chance.
    They push all the employees to up sell. At the location he was employed at they sell high end oil changes and fill your car with regular oil. So they are ripping ppl off all the time, but they are making money and thats what they want. They take advantage of anyone who doesn't know any better about mechanics and sell them things they don't need. I believe that sometimes your car does need some TLC, but I have seen them do this with a car that was NEW.
    I guess the point im trying to get across is that they don't treat employees very well and they also screw people all the time.
    Thanks for letting me put my injput

stafka May 11, 2016

Excluding tax
    re May 2 Strathroy Ontario full service synthetic oil change

A full service oil change cost about 45$ plus tax, disposal etc if one gets regular oil. The oil is 'free'. (Or rather is bundled into the 45$ cost .)
    It is reasonable to conclude that the full service price includes perhaps 12$ for labour and perhaps 33$ for the oil and disposal and profit.
    However if a customer requests full service with synthetic oil the price is about 95$. When broken down on the bill the synthetic oil cost is about 38$. So now the labour cost must be 57$.
    Why ? The task is the same from a labour point of view.
    This is obviously some creative pricing and since more vehicles than ever use synthetic oil it would be a very profitable process.
    The Strathroy location did a good job and tried unsuccessfully to defend the almost 100$ pricing . They were courteous .
    The prices of course are set centrally not locally..
    It is reasonable to expect, that for a 95$ charge, fewer people will use the company for a full service oil change

• Mp
    MPR28 May 24, 2016

I agree with the complaint, was in the Charlottetown location and was told my transmission fluid was so low they couldn't get a sample on the dipstick (which is under the car and you need to remove a bolt to check it) said it was metal on metal and I needed a $130.00 service! I told them to leave it as it is and I would have it taken care of. I had my mechanic who does all of my repairs check it SURPRISE it was full of fluid has no issues and needs no service.

This place is a rip off and has no integrity!

joetheschmo Jul 29, 2016

i will say a few words seeing as i have worked for them in the past and all of the suspisions for the locations on the east coast are true... i have seen with my own eyes people paying for a full synthetic oil change and the general manager of the 3 locations himself say that they need to save money and put in the cheapest stuff they have i have seen him take a service that has been sold and make it look like it is being done for the camera but in reality it hasnt even been touched and now the person has been charged $60 for this service the owner of the 3 locations is one of the best people to work with he is very knowledgeable and prides himself in making sure all his work is done and done very well... but the kid who he has overseeing his 3 stores is a chilkd who thinks he is the next high and mighty god doesnt know how to treat customers or staff with any kind of respect at all unless you just bend over and do whatever he wants you to do with no complaints... and to be in the shop late at night with his friends working on his own vehicle would be fine if he didnt have his freinds all around and drinking and smoking drugs inside the business!!!

• In
    intowin Nov 12, 2018

Bought the groupon and tried to use it at the georgetown store and was told that they would not except it.

Said I needed to be a new customer. After explaining that the car was a new car and it was not on file they still refused to take the groupon.

Never going back again, plus they lost three more cars that belong to the family.