PetSmartdog injures at grooming salon

F

I took my dog to be groomed at the Petsmart in Sterling, Virginia the next day I realized his nails were bleeding and he could not walk, I bandaged it and decided that I should go back to my old groomer. A few weeks later I saw scabs and flakes on my dog and as the condition got worse and his ear got affected, I decided to take him to their animal hospital next door. I knew the only reason those people are there were to add high bills and they usually would scroll down and add bills. Well the vet there told me our dog has a Fungus infection and that only comes from other dogs. He gave me a $350.00 Bill I knew the grooming salon had done this by not cleaning the tools right.

I went to talk to the manager, I told him about the incident asked to see who the technician was, he started yelling at me and told me in the rudest tone that I cannot prove anything, he asked if my dog has contacts with other dogs?? I said no. He said you should be more social and started making fun of me, the situation got worse; he did not care about my dog's injuries and my bill. I told him I will contact the better business bureau he said HAHA go ahead you cannot prove it. My two children were terrified and were looking at the scenario from a distance. I reminded him the vet had told me we are all in danger of getting the fungus from dog. He said his establishment was clean, I asked if any ONE had ever filed a complaint, he said NO and no Matter what Petsmart will not go out of Business! I said well I have talked to some of the groomers and they have told me these incidents happen often and I will call the Health Dept. and I have talked to my lawyer. He got Livid to a point that I genuinely got scared and started shaking with
my dog in my arms, he said the only reason I am doing this is to get money out of him. I asked him several times to check the computer and see who was the groomer and he did not pay any attention. I will never go back to that Establishment and I will make sure EVERY one knows everything in that store is a gimmick and their Managers are the Rudest and smart mouths with no Customer Service, the cashier and a groomer who were witnessing this both came to me in fear and apologized, one other quietly told my daughter who was watching that she is sorry and this happens often.

Please someone do something...

• Ce
    Ced37Pitt Apr 05, 2011

Last time I took my lhasa to petsmart in Cranberry township PA, his hair was done by an intern. Usually the manager does his hair, the manager does a wonderful job, but the intern was sloppy. I was told that I could still get a puppy cut over the phone, but when I went they said he is too old, but they would alow it. bath hair nails teeth, $65. Normally $40. I paid a lot of money for a crappy cut.

Also I noticed that they are horrible with time. I bring my dog in a half hour before my apointment. so lets say the appointment is at 11, I bring him in at 10:30. I don't get him back till 4! Why?, because they putz around take long lunch breaks and work on other dogs that showed up after me! I don't have all day to wait for my dog! I can understand 2 hours, but to wait lets say 5 hours for a hair cut is rediculous. He is a small fluffy dog, but they only trip his privates, belly, face, and feet, oh and ears too. Last time they forgot to pull out his ear hair! I don't always have a lot of money to spend for hair and whatnot, so I take time to get his hair done bc I have school and bills to pay for. He gets mats, I will be taking him again to petsmart since they are carful not to hurt him, but if he doesn't look 100% I am complaining. This time I am getting his entire body trimmed bc I am tired of the mats, plus he is starting to pant from being overheated =(. I just hope this won't cost me my entire pay! Oh and the vet, they yell at me bc of his mats. I brush him all the time, he just roughplays and mats up, and bites me when I try to brush them out! They are also a joke! I love the pay plan and what it covers, but I swair they add stupid crap that he doesn't need and IDK what its for! Although anything else the vet there isn't horrible!

• Sh
    shannir3 May 22, 2010

I take my dog to the petsmart in reston and sterling. we love these petsmarts and have never had an issue. they treat my dog as if he were part of their family, and their dog. The mangers know us by name and great my dog every time we come in. my dog has never gotten sick or been hurt by other dogs or the grooming process. i would recommend going to these petsmarts to anyone and i would never take my dog anywhere i even thought he would get hurt or sick. when something is wrong, they take my dog right away at the vet or even the groomers. i dont believe the supervisors would treat a customer the way you have decribed, because i know them from coming into the store almost everyday, and have never seen them speak this way to a customer. and yes i bring my dog to reston's doggie day camp every day. they are wonderful! your dog will be the happiest in the world when u pick him/her up :)

• To
    totusvenustas Feb 05, 2010

what a lot of people don't realize is that breeds such as poodles, bichons, yorkies papillions, etc have hair growing in their ear canals. it needs to be pulled out or it can grow into their sinuses and cause serious breathing problems and even death. if the groomers were pulling your bichon-poo's ear hair out it's because it's necessary. It seems cruel but it's really for the pet and the pet parents' benefit.

• K1
    K1089 Dec 22, 2009

I disagree with Mache's sweeping judgment of all salons in large companies. I groom dogs not for the money (because if I did I'd be in serious trouble as it does not pay well) but because I love working with animals. Just like each privately owned shop is different, so is each Petco or Petsmart salon. My priority is the health and safety of the dog or cat. If I quick a nail I always tell the owner. Don't kid yourself, your dog will get quicked or knicked in your private salon because groomers are human and occasionally make mistakes. Also the more difficult your dog is the more likely these accidents will occur.

• Li
    lilrose Dec 14, 2009

Petmart in Elk Grove, cut my maltepoo's ears, they are so unprofessional and their attitude sucks. Never again.

• Me
    meme May 15, 2009

When I took my dog Bailey a Bichon poo to Petsmart I told them not to cut her nails since we just got them cut at the vet. They were at perfect length with just a little white tip showing, then they cut them shorter to make it look like they did a good gromming job. Another thing is when I was waiting for them to finish (watching them groom) I saw them ripping and tearing at my dogs fur she was yelping and giving me the sad help me look. I not only saw them doing this to my dog but all the dogs. Too bad my parents couldn't get an appointment anywhere else cause were going there tomorrow . . . .
    I would recomend Bark and Fitz, only a little more money then Petsmart and so much nicer. If my computer worked you should see a picture of my puppy in leaves :)

• Do
    doris Patterson Nov 14, 2008

It really saddens me that people take their pets to these big corporate stores. Dont people know corporate means high volume out put? It means they have to do things fast to get the buck. Its a nice added bonus to go shopping for pet products and have your pet groomed at the same time but, , , ,

Their grooming is very high as I have checked into it for my dogs and my cat which are different breds. They were like 20 over my regular groomer. Alot of these groomers leave small shops I was told as they cant make it in a small shop. Not grant you cause of the pay but because they arent that good at grooming. I have found small private owned shops to be more considerate and better groomers. They take the time to do the animal good and they get to kow your animal.

I used petsmart one time. My shih tzu hair cut cost me 45 dollars. Nicks and cuts, bad haircut and my dog was there for 6 hours. My private owned shop the price is 30 and I have my dog back in less than 2 hours.

Ive heard people say they think its grat cause petsmart and petco have the vets right there if anything happens. Well a good groomer wont let things happen and they dont need a vet immediately on call.

When you get your hair cut do you have a doctor on call in the same office. Would make ya think wouldnt it?! Hopefully it would.

These stores look good on the outside for grooming but they are not.

People seem to drawn to all the glamor of these stores. No one stops to think of the education and schooling and personalities and pricing that goes into being a dog groomer.

Try the small little private owned grooming shop in your area. Support them and not the big commercial companies that really dont give a darn people!!

Its not true in this area ya get what you pay for! It is true that if you have a good groomer that works in her own place of business will give you more for the buck and treat your animal better.

• Co
    Corrin Oct 06, 2008

I took my 4 month old Maltipoo puppy to PetSmart to be groomed for the 1st time and they completely butchered her haircut, she had lines and chunks missing everywhere. I swore I would never take her back.

I ended up waiting too long to make an appointment with a reputable company so decided to take her to a different PetSmart location with different groomers. She is now 5 months old and I picked her up last Sunday, got her home and noticed her left eye was red and her eyelids were swollen! I immediately flushed her eye out with water and continued to watch her through the night. The next day her eye was so swollen she could barley see and it was itching so bad she had cut her bottom eyelid and was bleeding. I had to rush her to the vet who stated PetSmart got something in her eye which caused an infection. So now after paying $58.00 for a 5 pound dogs haircut I had to pay $67.00 for antibiotics and a vet bill. She had to wear a cone for a week and her eye still looks swollen!
    I will NEVER spend another dollar there!

• Ju
    justice4sadie Sep 29, 2008

i took my norfolk terrier mix to have her nails trimmed and after the 1st cut and sadie yelping - i grabbed her back and have filed a complaint with BBB & the main 800 for petsmart. they cut her back claw so short it bled for 2 days. she had to be on an antibiotic & pain meds for 3 days and my vet said it was the worst nail cut they had seen. i am spreading the word to never take an animal to the petsmart groomers. they obviously have no idea what they are doing.