Petfinder.com — scams

K

As soon as I placed a classified ad to try to find a home for a dog that was dumped at our farm, I was inundated with the "I'll send you a cashier check, you send me the change" scam" And I'm talking about 20 e-mails a day. If the freecycle sites can keep these idiots from contacting us, why can't petfinder? Lots of our local freecycles are no longer allowing the listing of pets, so that really limits being able to find homes for strays and rescues. This really ticks me off.

• Pu
    Pug_Mom Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I go to login it tells me the password is wrong, they email a link to reset it and that tells me its expired, send another and then I get an email saying its locked!
    How do I get this resolved?
    And now this page says my complaint is too brief and doesn't warrant any attention so it probably won't be resolved - this is ridiculous

• Fu
    fuzzywuzzylol May 25, 2019

Have not received a response from this agency yet, I believe it is a scam to get personal information. There is no way to contact anyone.

• Pl
    P L Hilliard Feb 22, 2021

@fuzzywuzzylol Yes! 13 pages of personal info! Vet records, pictures of previous pets, invoices. Then they drop you. Don’t answer you leave you hanging. Don’t believe the ‘Oh, you’re perfect for this dog’ routine. It’s a scam. A huge giant, heart jerking, leave you hanging knife in the back.

• Ha
    Harpsiccord Aug 09, 2008

I got one inquiry that said nothing about money. It seemed genuine. The res seemed ... wrong. It made me angry because I need to find a home for this rabbit. I have no other place to send him. But what do these people WANT with our pets?

• Ed
    Edna Roberts Aug 06, 2008

I checked out Petfinder.com and the site has a warning right before you move on to create your ad. Anyone who uses a computer and has ever used any classifieds system online should already know about such scams. I have used all the so-called safe classifieds and still get the same emails. Common sense people, its the internet, its vast and anyone with access can email anyone who puts their information out there.

• Te
    tenis Dec 13, 2007

I agree with you 100%. Petfinder has been receiving complaints about this problem for years, but thus far does nothing. Many sites like Freecycle issue strong warnings about Nigerian scams for their advertisers. Petfinder makes the deliberate choice not to act. Shameful.