Menu

reviews & complaints

Petfinder Complaints Summary

1 Resolved
33 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Petfinder with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Petfinder has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Petfinder. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Petfinder complaints 34

Sort by:

Newest Petfinder reviews & complaints

D
5:25 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Petfinder The light is on but nobody is home?

I have been very disappointed with the customer service. I have sent hundreds of emails with unread no responses. And from my experiences, they don't check out the people who are registering to have accounts. Because someone contacted me through them that had a fake name. When I asked for I d it did not match the name on the account. Would I recommend this company definitely not. Are there better companies out there definitely yes. I use adopt a pet now they are a lot better than this company is. They have customer service that actually responds to your questions and complaints..

Desired outcome: I've had such a terrible experience dealing with these people. There is nothing they can do. To change my mind I would never go back and use them. They have really loved a bad taste in my mouth.

Oct 20, 2023 11:13 am EDT

We're terribly sorry to learn of your experience with Petfinder. Please know that each shelter and rescue handle their own adoption procedures - although we do believe that they are doing what they believe is best for their adoptable pets. We'll be happy to pass your feedback along.

S
1:27 pm EDT

Petfinder Pet Adoption

After filling out the applications, submitted so many inquiries on pets and sent so many emails, I still receive no response. I have found matches on the website, send inquiries to try to adopt the dog(s) and never hear back from ANYONE! Petfinder is nothing but Scam. It's just a waste of time thinking anyone will reply to your inquiries. It is extremely frustrating. It's probably best to just go to a local shelter.

Pitty Mom
Jul 17, 2023 10:23 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am also frustrated about not hearing back about inquiries. But please understand, it is NOT Petfinder who should reply. Petfinder is not a shelter. It is the responsibility of the shelter that houses the animal to reply to inquiries. I am searching for a dog. After not hearing back on inquiries I made on Petfinder, I went straight to the shelters. Very few of them answer the phone. I've left messages at several shelters and not one has called back. I have emailed shelters directly and not received an answer. Petfinder's only responsibility is to post the info they receive from the shelter and forward inquiries. Please don't blame them.

12:58 pm EDT

Petfinder buy a chihuahua

all I can say is I'm so glad the deal feel through, I was trying to buy a chihuahua and made plans to meet the woman at my home, 1 hour before we were to meet the woman wanted to change time and date for Sunday when i said Sunday was not a good time for me she became rude, and started to make comments about me, saying I'm rude for not taking her deal and time. what a bad and frustrating experience this was. I'm just glad I did not give her money. I just had my feelings hurt but that's better than losing money! so unprofessional and I will never use this site again keeps your dogs and bad dealers.

PLEASE BEWARE OF PETFINDER!

Desired outcome: i WOULD LIKE AN APOLOGY

Read full review of Petfinder and 2 comments
2 comments
Pitty Mom
Jul 17, 2023 10:25 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

How is this Petfinder's fault?

Barbara Helton
Manassas, US
Oct 18, 2023 8:52 am EDT
Replying to comment of Pitty Mom

This doesn't make any sense. You appear to be talking about a breeder, not Petfinder.

Is Petfinder legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Petfinder as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 2% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Petfinder stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Petfinder should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Petfinder earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Petfinder achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

Petfinder.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Petfinder website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Petfinder.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Petfinder.com you are considering visiting, which is associated with Petfinder, is very old. Longevity often suggests that a website has consistently provided valuable content, products, or services over the years and has maintained a stable user base and a sustained online presence. This could be an indication of a very positive reputation.

Petfinder as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

Petfinder website is deemed to be popular and indicating that it receives a high volume of traffic. It is important to be cautious when using a highly trafficked website, as it may be a target for cybercriminals looking to exploit vulnerabilities or steal personal information.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Petfinder has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 2% of 34 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • Petfinder protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Petfinder. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
E
10:52 pm EDT

Petfinder Adopting

My fiance and I have owned pets our whole life and have a lot of love to give however, after all the inquiries we made, we still don't have any movement the last few months from Pet Finder. Shame on them!

Why should it take months to do this. We both have stable jobs, with great salaries and we don't know why it's difficult.

Tom.

4130 Huckleberry drive

Center valley PA 18034

[protected]@GMAIL.COM

Desired outcome: A pet to take home!

May 23, 2023 4:36 pm EDT

We're so sorry to learn you're having trouble bringing home a pet. Please know that each shelter and rescue that uses Petfinder has their own adoption procedures. We’re certain they do want to find the best possible homes for their pets.

We hope this negative experience will not affect your decision to adopt a pet in need. We urge you to continue your search for other pets who match your criteria. Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for thinking adoption first.

O
9:04 pm EDT

Petfinder Canine crew rescue

I adopted a puppy from canine crew rescue. The puppy was sick when we got him home and we later found out that several of the other puppies from the litter were sick with the same symptoms. After 4 trips to urgent care visits and we thought he was finally getting better. After he finished the last round of antibiotics he went down hill overnight. We ended up having to put the puppy down as he was in distress and suffering. When reaching out to Canine crew rescue to let them know we had to put him down, they told us they had done a swab on the puppies and got a diagnosis that they failed to share with us. If they had told us the puppy may still be with us. They said they would help with the vet bills since the puppy left them sick. We never received anything. Also after researching them more they have no 501c or license posted on any of their content/websites etc. the puppy also came from Texas and should have had all the travel/vet paperwork and he came with none of that. This “rescue” should be looked into and removed from petfinder.com

Desired outcome: Refund of adoption fee and vet bills. Canine crew rescue removed from pet finder.com.

Oct 05, 2022 10:38 am EDT

We’re so sorry to learn of the loss of your rescue puppy. We do have requirements in order for shelter and rescue group members to post their pets on our site and we do our best to ensure that our members continue to meet these requirements. We do take concerns regarding our members seriously and do look into each concern that we receive. So that we can look into this further, please email our Petfinder team directly at pets@petfinder.com. If possible, please include any receipts or documentation.

L
8:24 pm EDT

Petfinder Rescue

I applied for an Alaskan Malamute named Ren. Submitted to Lovable Mutts, also known as PDR, Pregnant Dog Rescue in Newfoundland PA.

Via email i was told he was mine and i could come up on Saturday for him. I was so elated and happy because i lost my boy on 04/11. Several emails back forth making arrangments. I even prepped here at home. I washed my boys bed! I was excited and shared his photo with family and friends. A few hours later, i got an email simply saying sorry, we emailed you by mistake, there is another app before you and they will be taking him. I was physically sick. Devastated does not measure. I puked. These two rescues (if one in same) do not have a facebook page. Apart from the cruelty of what they did to me, i now suspect if they are even real. And just post dogs to get peoples personal information. She even berated me via email. I have kept them all for record. You should investigate this and remove them from your site.

Laurie Dudash

Desired outcome: I want them removed. They should not be permitted to post or adopt. I wish id seen the complaint board before submitting to this place. 25 complaints!! One even said this crazy Cindy called their employer!!

D
1:46 pm EDT

Petfinder I am finding it impossible to adopt a kitten

I grew up in a house where we only adopted or rescued our animals. We ove them like they are our children.

I am an animal advocate and have worked with the ASPCA when I lived in N.J. which have the BEST animal rights.

I now live in S.C. that has NO animal rights.

I have contacted several Shelters on here and have never heard back.

Changingtomorrowanimalrescue has many kittens available, but their application is ridiculous. I spoke to the ASPCA which tld me to report them.

I found 2 kittens here in S.C., they were both spayed, they are indoor kitties, and they love me as much as I love them. I am home full time, and everyone would tell you how much I love animals. I just lost my Bella from old age and Callie who was her best friend is missing her soo much as I am. I have been spending extra attention with Callie because I know she feels the lost of Bella as I do. I am looking to adopt a kitten and giving it a forever home. WHY IS IT SOO HARD TO AOPT. I understand some people just should not have animals but someone like me suffers for their actions.

Desired outcome: I want to adopt a female kitten.

8:18 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Petfinder Unethical and Unprofessional.

This is an unethical company that acts as a vendor for animal shelters to play games with people and create obstacles for animals to be adopted. One shelter says they pray for someone to adopt a specific dog then they refuse to respond to inquiries about the dog. Petfinder is complicit in this because they should require responses in a certain time frame if you want to use their service.

This is an issue that needs some legislation so I am going to start petitioning my local government officials to start pushing through laws to take away any non profit status or tax advantages from shelters that refuse to respond to people or create absurd unnecessary obstacles for adoption. They are essentially hoarders that feel nobody is good enough to adopt their dogs or cats.

Again, Petfinder is complicit in allowing this to occur in the first place and certainly in allowing it to continue.

Desired outcome: Petfinder needs to create requirements in order to put dogs on their site for adoption including that they will follow up with all inquiries in an appropriate time frame.

M
12:26 pm EDT

Petfinder waiting for response.

when interested in a pet , me it’s a dog. it can be a real challenge to have anyone giving you answer or replying to email, text or calling.

Desired outcome: answer the people that are interested in a pet within 24 hours at least.

6:52 pm EST

Petfinder Adoption

I am 66 yrs old, I have no debt, own my own house with four acres and am assuredly more solvent than you. I have always adopted rescue dogs, have a stellar reference from my vet of 25 years. However because I have an underground fence, I live in an isolated rural area off a dirt road…that is one reason I can't adopt even though a shelter dog is put down every eleven seconds and you are not helping that. I also find it intrusive and rude that someone has to come and inspect my house. I have a B.A. degree but am not computer literate and wanted to actually speak to someone about adopting…NOT!
All the dogs in the shelter up here are pit bulls, which and I don't want, and there are no smaller dogs.
SO…thanks to you I ended up buying three fully paid for purebred dogs.: a $2, 500.00 Papillon, a $3, 000.00
Mini Golden Doodle, and a well loved but nutty rat terrier as well.
Thanks to you I will always buy purebreds again. In the past, many years ago, I adopted older dogs because I knew they were difficult to place. You really are too stringent with your rules and many dogs will needlessly die.

Desired outcome: Needed changes to be made for adoptions

Read full review of Petfinder and 2 comments
2 comments
Wickee
Asheville, US
Apr 28, 2022 8:08 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

agreed. petfinder is in the business of making money not rehoming animals.

C
C
Camisabean
Tuckerton, US
Mar 14, 2022 10:02 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Absolutely terrible! I have been trying to adopt a kitten for over 2 months now. Once you choose on on line, you wait to be contacted to do an application. Most times they answer back after the ridiculously long application that the pet was already adopted. I found one about 80 miles from me, filled out an application and was told they didnt have anyone to travel to my home to check me out. With social media especially FB, you can show your whole life as to where you live and what kind of people you are. This is why so many animals are left on this site for a long time. So Very Very sad. Totally irresponsible and cruel. I had to put down my cat of 12 years. I took him to our vet for a teeth cleaning which cost $1200...then they did a biopsy and found agressive mouth cancer . They said most times if ends up being fatal. We went along with the surgery anyway which came to $2000. Two weeks after he got worse and we had to endure the heartache of losing our baby. Thats the kind of people we are. I find it insulting to just tell someone no because you cant find someone to come to your home. That a heartless website

5:56 pm EDT

Petfinder login

I have had this account for years at our Humane Society. Now with the same password it is refusing to let me on. It does not send me a new password and I have many animals to update. NO ONE has contacted me back. Just another problem with petfinder. The response is crickets. Adopt a pet is so much more organized. I cant even get on the site and have been the administrator for 20 years. No reply no help

6:00 pm EDT

Petfinder [protected]@jasonteacupmaltipooshome.com

This is fake. He keeps asking for personal information without giving me any details that I am asking for. It is a SCAM. Beware.

Desired outcome: Should be taken off PetFinder

10:02 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Petfinder I will never deal with them

After being told I was ‘perfect' for Roxy, I waited patiently for a response. I filled out a 13 page application! I had my previous pets records sent to [protected]@outlook.com AND Petfinder.com. I sent invoices showing pet care of my previous pets. So, every 5-6 days, I texted them? Anything? ‘Sorry, very busy', she said three times! She went from warm to cold! Then came the horrible Texas winter storm. ‘We're busy because of the storm', she says. Finally, after waiting weeks to find out when I can go meet her and pick her up I go to my emails and find the link where they accepted my application for her and hit it and lo and behold. They gave my promised Roxy to someone else saying I didn't prove I had given my previous baby Heartguard. I sent invoices showing I purchased it, pictures of the boxes I still have of my previous baby's Heartguard. She refused to even answer me, and finally sent a short, terse note saying it wasn't enough info! She went from ‘you're great and Perfect for Roxy' to utter silence and giving her to someone else. I was treated horribly! Not only that now these people have enough info on me for a top security clearance. They have way too much of my information and they are not trustworthy. Do yourself a favor... Save yourself a broken heart and knives in your back and heart and deal with ethical people who return your calls, keep their promises and don't lie and steal massive amounts of your personal information. Especially [protected]@outlook.com at +[protected].

Brew2219
Sep 08, 2022 1:32 pm EDT

This organization is nothing but an arrogant, self-serving bunch of [censored]s that have no interest in helping pets or the people looking for one. One of the questions was “are you aware this breed is susceptible to back problems and are you capable of paying the $10,000 to $15,000 cost of back surgery and are you willing to pay it”? Of course we answered no and shortly thereafter we were rejected. This place is a scam!

3:44 pm EST

Petfinder Rescue services

June 10, 2020

I have been going back and forth with [protected]@petfinder.com. I have asked for management or corporate to give me a call and discuss an issue we have currently been made aware of. We received an email from Quality stating that we could not charge an application fee from your site per Code of Conduct. So, we changed our application within your site and our Petfinder Pro account. Our business website remains with an application fee of $20. We charge this fee because we were getting inundated with FREE adoption applications (100's) that were frivolous and a waste of our volunteer resources time. We feel within our organization, that the $20 fee reduces the overload to serious inquiries only. Once we receive and application, the applicant is sent an email requesting the needed information and items to complete the application process. When they are not charged a fee, the apps just sit waiting on their needed documents. Once they sit for 2 weeks with no response we have to move them to inactive. We have never had an issue with any other organization because we charge this fee to deter frivolous apps. We also put the $20 app fee towards their adoption fee if they are approved. I am not understanding why if she changed our app for your site, why we would be removed from PetFinder. Thus, the reason I am wanting to discuss with management or a higher up. We have used your service since inception of SRGDRR which has been 8 years and because we are the largest Great Dane Rescue and Rehab in the United States with a huge volume we needed to find a better balance on the amount of apps we were receiving in whole. Again, we have no problem allowing the adoption apps from Petfinder being no charge. We just need to keep it on our business website. Please advise and do not send me back to Quality as they are refusing to discuss or even assist in escalating to management. Thank you and look forward to hearing back from someone. I was told there is no phone number to contact but mine is [protected] if someone can get use a phone and quit hiding behind a keyboard.

Desired outcome: Account restored

Feb 22, 2021 10:12 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

You people act like responding to people wanting to adopt is a pain in your neck! All I got was “I work, too!” “I’m so busy.” Petfinder.com took 13 pages of info from me, invoices proving I bought my previous dog (Laney, who we rescued and had until she was 15 years old and deceased from old age IN SPITE of having Cushion’s Disease!) and a nine year old rescue cat and the fact that I ran my OWN RESCUE with my OWN $$ and saved snd homes over 50 cats and 10 dogs! We were perfect for this dog and mini-mutts&outlook.com even SAID SO. Then ... nothing. I texted, I called... finally looked at old email sent when I first placed my ‘application’ for the link... and GUESS WHAT? She gave Roxy to someone ELSE WEEKS ago! So, to anyone and everyone reading this?! Go to the kind, go to a pet store, go ANYWHERE but Petfinder.com. They’ll take your $20 and enough info to give you a top security clearance and then ...we’ll... NOTHING! Horrible, terrible people!

3:28 pm EST

Petfinder Site

I just want to see chihuahuas. I'm looking for mine. I see more other bigger breeds. I get that no matter where I'm searching.. it doesn't seem to work for me no matter the devices I've killed looking for my chi.. when I click on the breed CHIHUAHUA is says NO SUCH BREED (aahhh) Pepper is almost 16yr old if still alive. I believe these system flaws are preventing me from finding her. if the site worked correctly for me maybe possibly I might have found her.. my heart hurts so bad. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. PLEASE HELP

4:45 pm EDT

Petfinder Animal adoption site sucks

No one at this site has any interest in finding homes for these animals. I question even if there are any animals. All they want you to do is give all your info on an application, and they refuse to give any info about the animals.
Put pictures of young animals that are not young any longer or they don't even exist. Claims that animals have been adopted but are still on there site.
Something is obviously wrong here. When you know you are interested in an animal, when you get the info that you need to make that decision that is when you visit the animal and if you click, then you fill out an application.
Not beore. This site and everyone involved in it, needs to go.

Read full review of Petfinder and 4 comments
4 comments
Autumnblaze
Apr 17, 2022 8:25 am EDT

I agree! It's heartbreaking! There has to be real animals in need of homes out there, but instead this place it reif with con artists that break your heart over and over!

I list my best friend after a beautiful 15 years. I don't know where I'll find another.

Feb 22, 2021 11:08 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Terrible, unethical people! I agree. They broke my heart and stabbed me in the back. I grieve for the animals that end up with these unethical people. They charge exorbitant prices, take $ for app fee, tell you you’re ‘perfect’ and then BOOM! You’re dropped like a hot potato. Awful!

Feb 22, 2021 10:16 pm EST

Fedup2021
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US
Feb 16, 2021 11:02 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I agree. This was my experience also. Specifically an individual named joakim hjornhede with email pjhjornhede@yahoo.com. He has claimed to put beagles for adoption, takes your info on application, then uses your personal info for his own use (selling it to 3rd parties or hacking) without ever intending to have you actually adopt the dog. Stay away from this individual and his listings. Petfinder needs to adjust their experience to keep those awful people in check when this is truly a site based on good intentions to help animals.

S
10:53 am EDT

Petfinder The rescuers

First, finding one on petfinder is a letdown for many people. We get our hearts set on one. There is a long waiting process. The rescuers crucify you. One said she can come to house to tell me where to put the litterbox. Seriously? I raised 4 children with animals. I think I know where to put it.
It's the same story all the time. "we know are cats best"! No transition for this one. That one kneads and hurts! It just doesn't seem like they want to give up these cats or dogs. They make it so difficult people are going to pet stores. They want adoptions, but it is hell with these people! I saw a great article written by a rescuer who looked at two sides of the fence. She went to a seminar and the speaker talked about questions on the applications making it difficult for people to adopt. The animals are not free! Adopting is $124 -$225 here in ct. If we have to pay that kind of money for a tabby I would think we will take care of it. Please I know they are cat lovers, but they are being ridiculous. Some are shacked up together and no individual attention or may never have one on one affection or attention! Many die in these shelter because they were never given a home! Please reach out to these people and let them know what we go through. I am 62 and am having this kind of difficulty? Ridiculous!

T
6:03 pm EDT

Petfinder fraud!

My husband and I interested in adopt dog, Pixie. I got email from adoption manager, said she's available. So I applied for adoption.
Pixie's foster mom, Ericka, texted me next day. We texted. She said she been busy with family etc and she was gonna text me with time, and place after last weekend. But I never heard from her so I texted her last Tuesday and told her I'm looking to adopt Pixie. I asked her if we can set up a time and place to see her please? But I never heard from her.. so I emailed to adoption manager. She never replied. Ericka texted me right away and said she felt she is not fit in my family. What she talk about? We never meet and she didn't come by my place to check out. I forwarded her link that whippets is ok with apartment as long as we take her to dog park for exercise daily. She blocked me! Ericka is scammer!

Feb 22, 2021 10:55 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They’re in it for the money. For every app they charge $20 plus $100.000’s in fees if you do get to adopt. They’ll just dump you, block you, ignore you. Horrible, terrible people. They whine ‘I’m so busy!’ I bet I heard that 10 times. No, the deal is they’ll post a pet, take as many $20 apps as they can, they’re all super and spice, then BOOM! You’re dumped! I texted, called finally BEGGED TO KNOW something, ANYTHING! I finally found out they had given the dog they promised me to someone else by going to the website!

M
10:23 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Petfinder I can’t find your phone number to call you about an animal

Hi my Name is Mayureee Neale my daughter wants a kitten/cat so badly but I can't find your phone number to contact you...! It only shows your email and you NEVER answer it :(
The cat we were looking at is Sebastian and he is a Birman cat.
Please just send us your phone number I've been look long at like 20 websites just for your phone number!
My email is [protected]@gmail.com.
Let me know ASAP

8:34 am EDT

Petfinder petfinder website

Petfinder website recently started not allowing rescues in Texas to use their site to adopt dogs out of state, specifically in the Pacific Northwest. An area that we have all adopted over 3000 dogs in the last 2 years. 3000 dogs that would have been euthanized for no reason except lack of space in the shelters.
Now our hands are being tied by petfinder and adoptions have come to a halt. 288 dogs were euthanized yesterday at ONE shelter. 288 dogs that rescue could not help because we have no way to adopt the dogs.
Petfinder is to blame for this and there will likely be 200 more dog this weekend.
This is unacceptable and petfinder needs to stop this immature cruel practice and let the rescues adopt out the dogs. Let us save lives.

Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Petfinder

Expand Collapse all
Is Petfinder a legitimate platform for finding pets to adopt?

Petfinder is a legitimate online platform that connects potential adopters with rescue organizations and shelters, facilitating pet adoption.

How does Petfinder work?

Petfinder allows users to search for pets available for adoption from shelters and rescue organizations across the United States, Canada, and Mexico by entering their location and desired pet criteria.

Are the pets listed on Petfinder from reputable sources?

Petfinder lists pets from shelters and rescue organizations, which are generally reputable sources for pet adoption. However, it's important to research the specific organization before adopting a pet.

What types of animals can be found on Petfinder?

Petfinder lists a variety of animals, including dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, and other small animals, as well as some farm animals and reptiles.

Is there a fee for using Petfinder?

Petfinder is free to use for potential adopters searching for pets, but individual shelters and rescue organizations may charge adoption fees.

How can I trust the information about the pets listed on Petfinder?

While Petfinder requires shelters and rescue organizations to provide accurate information, it's essential to contact the organization directly and ask any questions about the pet's history, health, and behavior.

What is Petfinder's role in the adoption process?

Petfinder serves as a platform to connect potential adopters with available pets, but the adoption process is managed directly by the shelters and rescue organizations.

Does Petfinder screen the shelters and rescue organizations listed on their platform?

Petfinder has certain requirements for shelters and rescue organizations to join their platform, but it's still important to research the specific organization before adopting a pet.

Can I adopt a pet directly through Petfinder?

Petfinder is not directly involved in the adoption process. Instead, users must contact the shelter or rescue organization to initiate the adoption.

How can I find reviews about a specific shelter or rescue organization on Petfinder?

Petfinder does not host reviews, but users can search for reviews on other platforms like Google or social media pages to learn more about a shelter or rescue organization.

Is it safe to adopt a pet through a shelter or rescue organization found on Petfinder?

Adopting a pet from a shelter or rescue organization found on Petfinder is generally safe, but it's important to research the organization, ask questions, and visit the pet in person before committing to adoption.

How does Petfinder ensure the welfare of the animals listed on their platform?

While Petfinder does not directly monitor the welfare of animals listed on their platform, they do require that participating shelters and rescue organizations follow certain guidelines to ensure the well-being of the animals.

Are there adoption fees for pets listed on Petfinder?

Adoption fees vary depending on the shelter or rescue organization and may cover costs such as vaccinations, spaying or neutering, and microchipping.

What information is provided about the pets listed on Petfinder?

Petfinder listings typically include information such as the pet's age, size, breed, gender, health status, and temperament, as well as any known behavioral or medical issues.

Can I search for pets with specific needs or requirements on Petfinder?

Yes, Petfinder allows users to filter their search by criteria such as breed, age, size, and special needs to find a pet that matches their preferences and lifestyle.

How do I contact a shelter or rescue organization through Petfinder?

Petfinder listings include contact information for the shelter or rescue organization, allowing users to reach out directly via phone or email.

How can I report a problem or concern about a shelter or rescue organization on Petfinder?

Users can report concerns about a shelter or rescue organization directly to Petfinder through their website's contact form.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Petfinder contacts