Purina company logo
Purina
reviews & complaints
Purina
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

57 complaints
17 resolved 40 unresolved

This account has been claimed by Purina customer service / representatives through our verification process.

Purina reviews & complaints

Purina complaints 57

Purina - Fancy Feast

What is going on with Fancy Feast cat food? My two ragdolls - just over a year old - have always loved the grilled seafood. I buy the 24 can package for them. I have recently had problems finding it at Publix but found it on Chewy and ordered it with auto ship. However they now won't eat it. I have thrown away full bowls of cat food. I have another unopened case I am afraid to feed them.

I started searching online and found a lot of people complaining that their cats will no longer eat their favorite FF. I also found some boards where people are complaining that their cats are getting diarrhea and are getting very very sick from the Fancy Feast. Most of those cats get better when they stop eating the Fancy Feast - proving it's the Ff - but some are still severely ill.

What have you done? Have you changed the recipe? Are you substituting quality ingredients for other lesser ingredients due to supply change shortages? Is there something wrong with your production process as there was a few years ago?

We love our pets and this is a very serious problem. I am no longer feeding them your products. You may fool us humans but you can't fool our cats - they know foul when they smell it.

Desired outcome: Fix this problem NOW. Or just stop selling this damaging dangerous food to pet owners.

My cats use to love Fancy Feast. I recently bought 11 (24) count boxes to stock up because of the shortages. I use the auto ship on Chewy. They like the Grilled Seafood. With this last shipment they will not ever go near the Salmon Feast in Gravy. The reaction is the same from both cats. They still like the Seafood Feast and the Tuna Feast. The food is not cheap especially for senior citizen on a fixed income. I simply can't afford to throw away 1/3 of every 24 can box I buy.

I will be switching to another brand that might be more expensive but at least I won't have to keep dumping in out and wasting it.

Dave in Groveland Florida.

M
Nov 18, 2021

Purina - Purina ProClub points denied

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 12:51 PMTo: [protected]@Purina.com Subject: Points not entered against my account [protected]

I entered 5 receipts a day in Oct 2021 as follows:
Oct 3== 5 receipts entered with a total of 6 bags 35 lbs, point total 2940. Only 1 bag has been credited to my account. 2016
Oct 4== 5 receipts entered with a total of 5 bags 35 lbs, point total 2450. None have been credited to my account. [protected]
Oct 7==5 receipts entered, 5 bags of 35 lbs, one bag of 50 lb, and one bag 33 lbs. Total points 3640. Only the points for the 33 lbs bag have been added to my account. 2015 2018 will not deduct pts
Oct 8==5 receipts entered, 4 bags of 18 lbs, one bag 30 lb, one bag 11 lb neuro care, and one bag 34 lb puppy formula. None have been credited to my account. 2018 2019
Oct 14 == 5 receipts, 4 are 35 lbs bags, 1 is a 34 lbs bag, point totals 2436. None have been credited to my account. 2019 early 2020
Oct 15== 5 receipts entered, 5 for 35 lb bags, points total 2450. None have been credited to my account. 1 for 4/20 6/20
Oct 16==5 receipts entered, 5 for 35 lb bags, points total 2450. Only 2 of these 5 bags have been credited to my account.
Oct 17== 5 receipts entered, 5 for 35 lb bags, points total 2450. All of these have been added to my points total.
Oct 18== 2 receipts entered, one for a 30 lbs bag, one for a 6 lb bag. Only the 6 lb bag points have been credited to my account.

My balance is 8, 961.
It should be 27, 822 with carry over of prior points in Feb 2021.
What do I need to do to get these receipts above processed and points added to my account?

The response I got:

Please note beginning October 15, 2019 you will need to submit your receipts within 1 year of the date of your purchase. For example, if you make a purchase on 8/1/19, you will have until 8/1/2020 to submit the receipt for Pro Club Points. Receipts that are more than one year old will no longer be accepted for points after October 15, 2019 and we cannot make exceptions. Several of the out dated receipts were credited in error. We will not deduct the points for this error. If you have further questions or concerns, please reply or contact Member Services at 1-877-PRO-CLUB.

My reaction:
I'm the president of a large national rescue. We place 300 or more dogs a year and have 300 volunteers. I have always been an advocate for Purina Proplan with both our volunteers and our adopters who now number in the thousands, but I'm not feeling brand loyal now.

The points plan has been a huge nuisance starting with point circles no longer being the basis for submitting proof of purchase. Now I see that your goal was to disenfranchise people by being able to prove the food was bought a year or more ago and then not giving credit for that. On top of that, scanning those receipts and saving them and submitting them was a huge PIA by comparison to sending in the physical point circles. I used to work in IT and it was tedious even for me. I can well imagine that is past the technical capabilities of many buyers, so that eliminates another whole group from participating.

Congratulations-- you started an incentive program to reward buyers of your products and now you've just succeeded in alienating them. NO program would be better than this nonsense.

Pam Caldwell
[protected]@hotmail.com
President New Spirit 4 Aussie Rescue

Desired outcome: I would ALL the points to which I am entitles credited to my account regardless of purchase date.

M
Nov 01, 2021

Purina - Purina one plus large breed dry dog food

Have fed my dogs purina one for along time. with the most recent purchased bag all 3 of my dogs have been throwing up shortly after ingesting. Today at my sisters who feeds her dog the same purina one plus her dog threw up and apparently has been the past week after ingesting. My dogs are my everything and it scares me seeing 1 sick let alone all three. I will be discarding the rest of this bag and will have to buy another. $50 down the drain but anything for the well-being of my babies. This isnt a coincidence and I feel there is something wrong with the food and needs to be addressed before more harm is spread.

Purina is having serious problems. Same problem with Fancy Feast for cats. Either cats are no longer willing to eat it - even their forever favorites - like mine, or those that do are getting sick. They changed their recipe or are using bad ingredients due to the supply chain shortage or they have a production problem. FDA issued a warning about them in 2015 about production problems - water not sufficiently heated, etc. I would stay away from Purina right now. Try to find made in USA pet food - maybe less apt to be suffering from supply chain shortages if made domestically. We all need to file an FDA complaint.

Purina - Fancy feast

We feed our cats fancy feast wet food and meow mix dry food. The other day I opened a can if fancy feast and there was mouse excrement pellets and what appeared to be little pieces of aluminum foil in and on the food. I am pretty upset about this. The aluminum foil especially seeing as though it could have led to internal bleeding in our beloved pet... Not cool.

The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

Purina - The product is filled with moths and moth eggs which is disgusting

Every time I buy your product(surfin turf dry cat food), the box is contaminated with moths, worms and their eggs and my cat is falling sick because of your food. This is beyond disgusting. We bought it from different stores and noticed every single one of them were contaminated with them. Never buying purina products and ruining my pet's health anymore!

Disgusting. No more Purina for my cats.

Purina - Purina proplan for sensitive skin and stomach

Bought a 44# bag of Purina proplan salmon for Sensitive skin and stomach for my beagles thought I try it out since
my youngest beagle has skin allergy problems even though it is $$$ if it helps worth it . No real change for her but about halfway thru the bag started seeing small brown worms not too long after that the were around the area ! Decided to put the rest in plastic containers and clean up the worm and spray the area with bug spray .still finding them in the food tossed it out before more problems arise. Wish I knew before it had this problem. Disgusted 😢$$$$

L

Purina - Felix cat food

You are refusing to accept responsibility for tens of thousands of very sick cats directly linked to eating Felix cat food.

It has become foul smelling and either makes the cats sick or they refuse to eat it.

You are talking down to customers that have been loyal to you for years and as a result, their beloved cats are dying, on drips, starving themselves, vomiting with diarrhoea.

You should really stop denying that this is an issue. Over 12, 000 pet owners with the same complaint is no longer a coincidence.

Desired outcome: Recall your food immediately

Purina - Purina Impact all stages 12% textured horse feed

As a horse trainer I recommend Purina products to all my customers. I use the above product myself. I was feeding this morning and noticed a clump of moldy feed. I removed it and thought it must have gotten wet in the bag, as I had just opened it. The next scoop contained a freeze dried mouse. Obviously had been there since packaging. Surly you have measures in place to inspect the product prior to packaging?

Desired outcome: Address your quality and reimbursement for damaged product

Purina - Felix as good as it looks

I have had 5 cats extremely unwell since the change of ingredients.
Uncontrollable diarrhea, horrendous wind, sickness, showing of 3rd eyelid lethargy.
It affected my youngest and oldest the most (obviously the most vulnerable)
The oldest has had antibiotics and steroids, since stopping your food they all recovered within 10 days, the oldest is still unwell but 90% better, the vet said it may take longer as he obviously is more susceptible to the poisen you've given him.
There is a group with over 12000 members complaint and a petition signed by 5000 yet you are doing nothing. Its a disgrace!

Desired outcome: Recall felix as good as it looks

T

Purina - Fancy Feast

I have 3 elderly cats that have been eating fancy feast for years. Within the last 36 months when I buy this cat food my cat s will no longer eat it.. What have you done to the food? It costs more money now and the cats won't eat it. The food definitely is not the same. You have changed the recipes and made it more expensive and less appealing to the cats.

Purina - Purina 1 dog food

When we opened this 44 lb bag of dog food it was full of worms/bugs. This is pretty disgusting.. We have two other bags that we have not opened yet.. You need to fix this problem.
Advise us on what to do with the unopened bags.

There isn't a whole more to say… the food is infested with worms/bugs…
Eva temple a very dissatisfied customer!

Desired outcome: Replace my bag of dog food

Purina - Cant get cat food

My cat loves your fancy feast and now i'm reading all the negative information about your product? I'm sorry to say because in no way do I expect to be cheap feeding my cat, however I read it's fairly cheap almost $!.00 each can is not cheap (eating 90 cans a month)! Yet on top of that it is full of filler? But my immediate problem is why aren't the stores in maine fully stocked with your product? My cat loves it even though I read the reviews that's what he wants! Went to three stores yesterday in waterville, maine and no chicken florentine anywhere for at least one week! Tell that to my cat! In closing if fancy feast sells well in maine could you please stock us mainers better. Thanks for your time, gail chaisson [protected] at gmc. [protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: stocked appropriately in Maine

Purina - Felix mixed selection in jelly

I have been a customer of Felix Purina for over 6 years and always been happy. My cat has all Felix biscuits and all Felix cat food. Recent purchases from the last 4 to 6 months have made my cat Ill. I have opened the cat food and it is like slimy jelly and no meat. My mother who buys 6 or 7 boxes a week throws half of them away too. I started to buy tuna Felix singularly as then I knew it wouldn't be horrible. So today I tried to buy a box and the sachets are terrible. No meat and slimy. My cat had a bad stomach straight away. The ones that make her bad have a white box on the back with the lot number on whereas the others don't. I have shown you the ones that have the box and ones that don't.

Desired outcome: A full investigation and compensation for both myself ahf my 84 year old mother

Update by NickyL
Jul 10, 2021

Felix has gone so bad. I have always thought how good the cat food was till the last few months. It's like slimy jelly and makes my cat very ill

Purina - Probiotic Dry Food

My old dog has been through trial and error the last three years. When we finally found this probiotic pro plan dry food to eat while having her raw feeding, we found a miracle. Of course all good things must come to an end. Purina has changed their formula and new look of the bag and now my dog can no longer eat it. She throws it up and it makes her very sick with yellow diarrhea. Most pet foods and medicines are severe with her, and her diarrhea does not just go away, it lasts for days, sometimes gone onto a little over a week and gets very weak from it. I like to have some dry to substitute her raw, it looks like I cannot longer do it. It is a shame.

Desired outcome: Go back to the original live probiotics

C

Purina - Totally incompetent customer service

I placed an order for dog food on May 25. I received a response stating my order had been received. Since then there has not been one notice that this order has been prepared for shipment, or shipped. I have left voice messages as well as written requests for information. The promised 24-48 hour turnaround was not met on the requests fir information. The four individuals I did speak to could offer no assistance, one promised to call right back, one told me no one was available over Memorial Day weekend, one hung up on me, and the last one just basically said she can't help. I am extremely frustrated at this point. The ‘care' expressed for dogs is not believable. What can be done to resolve this situation, I believe that there should be financial consideration given as well. Almost three weeks later and not only can I not have the food but no one can even answer where it is or when it will be here. Need some real help here…:

Desired outcome: Provide dog food ASAP and do not charge me for this

Purina - Beyond chicken & sweet potato recipe

I have been purchasing Beyond dog food for years and Buddy loves it. If I am going mto pay $1.99 + tax a can I want a full can and not all gravy. I have not opened the other cans so I do not know if they are the same. The contents contained more than half liquid and I am very disappointed. the number is [protected] 1110by 60259. I have pictures if you need them. Thank you for your time Mary Anderson

Desired outcome: Coupons for this product

The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

Purina - Purina Beyond Grain Free, Natural, Adult Wet Cat Food Pate Duck & Sweet Potato

We have been ordering 12 can shipments of this flavor through Amazon for almost a year, however we think the last two shipments were CONTAMINATED causing vomiting and lethargy in our cat! I remembered the pate looked odd so I opened several more cans and found the pate was grey/black with a dark gravy at the bottom! As you know, the pate is usually brown with a light golden broth or gravy on the bottom of the can. I contacted Amazon & was refunded one case but it was too late to get a refund for the two previous orders. I have submitted a review warning other Amazon customers DO NOT BUY Purina Beyond Grain Free, Natural DUCK & SWEET POTATO. It should be recalled!

Desired outcome: Recall this flavor and refund us money for the last 24 cans I can't feed our cat

Purina - Water content

I am shocked by how much water there is in your product. This is my third time contacting your company. If you emptied a can of food in a colander it would not be surprising how much water there is to the meat product. You should be ashamed. In your message you say that enjoy cats well thats hard to believe. I am going to use another company for my cat. She is my best friend. Go and check your manufacturing and see what you are selling to the public. Its horrible and very sad. Hard to believe you advertise that you have a great product when its more water than food.

Kathy Forget

Desired outcome: I would like to hear from you company about changes to your product

Purina - Purina pro plan sport dog food

I have been purchasing this food for duck retrievers, since 2002. We have been a loyal Purim's family for several generations. Recently, I have noticed the bags no longer have the taped opening. The last few bags have been a nightmare to open, even with knife or scissors. Bags seem to rip and dumping the bag trying to fill the food caddies. Not trying to be a complainer, but you should research easier opening bag. I'm having trouble wanting to continue purchasing and using, due to product getting dumped everywhere.. just a suggestion..

Purina - Fancy Feast gourmet cat food

Did you fire you quality assurance department? I've gotten several cases of various variety canned food and in each case several canned were badly dented and some already popped open. So far I had to throw out at least 10 cans. This was not done in shipping as the dented cans were in the middle of the case. I have been using your product for at least 20 years and have not had a problem with it. I purchased these cases from Walmart, Target and Chewy so this is not an isolated incident. It made me angry because this time I lost 10 cans of various food. I'm sure that this complaint will go to some dead ears.

1 2 3