Petfinder.comcashier check scam

L

I recently placed an ad on petfinder.com. I was immediately contacted by email in regards to someone adopting my pets. I noticed right away that a couple of the emails entailed the same format, just different names and shipping addresses. This person corresponded with me every day but never answered any of my questions as far as where the pets were going, why they wanted them, no personal info whatsoever. This person also went as far as to send me a $2,000 cashier's check from a credit union in Texas. Kinda funny since the shipping address on the UPS label came from an address in Pennsylvania. I called information with the name and address on the shipping label, no record of this person at that address or the surrounding area. I also called UPS and found out that whoever sent the money left absolutely NO information whatsoever. This is by far the worst scam I have seen. I am ripping up the check and reporting this to petfinder at once.

• Mo
    Monica D. Jul 18, 2008

PetFinder.com is a HOAX! They should be held accountable for what happens on their website. I too was sent a check for a large amount. The envelope was from TX, but the check came from a Biotech company in Washington DC. I have reported this as mail and internet fraud to the FBI and have notified PETA of PetFinder's actions and lack thereof. I also plan to contact my local radio and television stations to let as many people know as possible that is fraud can not, and will not, be tolerated.
    In these current economic times, how many people are like myself- losing homes and jobs and unable to care for their pets and just want to find them a good home? It is not about the money- it is about the well being of the animals. I am just trying to help a friend in need find a good home for her 2 cats and this is what I get? These sick people need to be held responsible! Please help me in my fight by sending any comments, suggestions, or similar stories to my email address. I know I am not alone in my anger and outrage that in this country the animals are the ones we seem to hold in the least regard.
    Thank you.