Pella Corporation Logo

Pella Corporation

Having problems with Pella Corporation?

+1 855 735 5232 (Customer Service)
+1 866 809 9460 (Storm Door Support)
+1 844 575 7934 (Garage Door Support)
+1 877 473 5527 (Window, Patio Door & Entry Door)
102 Main Street
Sat8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Storm Door

I purchased a new Entry door and Storm door manufactured by Pella. The screen on the storm door does not work properly. I flicked a bee off the screen one morning and the screen ripped. So I ordered and paid for a new screen to be installed in my new storm door ($52.00). After my new screen is replaced in my new door, I contact Pella and ask them to reimburse me for the replacement screen as I have learned that the "original" screen was installed backwards at the factory. Which explains why it went up and own hard and was cockeyed. Pella refused to reimburse me, beause I ripped the screen. I told them I don't believe the screen would have ripped by my flicking a bee off it had it been in stalled correctly. They didn't care! So customer service by pella sucks and apparently they need better quality control at the factory. I do not recomment Pella, they will not stand behind their product.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I've experienced many problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

Bad service

We purchased our home in 1998. It has pella double-pane windows that have the blinds between the panes that had been installed approximately 3 years previously according the prior owner. In 1999 we noticed some dampness and discoloration of the wood frame of the bay window.

Pella send a representative to the house who promptly told me that it was my fault for not cleaning the vents properly and allowing condensation to build up. I have since religiously cleaned the vents and have ultimately removed one of the panes to better monitor the situation (and to prove it could not possibly be condensation).

The frame now has even more discoloration and the window needs major maintenance or replacement. Another call to Pella and they sent a salesman to sell me a new bay window. Are they kidding? Yet another call and they offered to send a technician to give me an estimate - at a cost to me. They did let me know that any work will be a minimum of $450 just for labor.

The warranty is supposed to be 20 years on these windows. Of course, you can't have a warranty repair if you don't acknowledge the problem...

• Pe
    pella is bad Mar 23, 2010

Pella had a defective series of windows that they are fully aware of. You can identify them because of a channel along the window sill in front of the sash. I believe it was the Series II. There have been several lawsuits and all are ended with a Gag order. Get a lawyer as that is the only way to get them to respond and even then it will be difficult. And tell everyone you know that Pella is a low quality and disreputable manufacturer!!! We can impact their business if we tell enough people and it would be just desserts for the way they run their business.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I'm sad to say that I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

Scam

Have over $10.000 in Architech Windows put in and all have what they call window rot I am talking about Pella Windows Have been very upset with this company in resolving any problems including the insallation in cold weather the windows have condisation on them all the time upon reading the problem is with the what they call the clad between the windows company always finds in there favor even though there are numerous complaints about this problem I hope Pella sees this complaint and will stand by there customers I am not giving up on this problem.

ABailey Jun 29, 2010

In my experience, I would NOT recommend Pella. I've had many issues, such as seal failure and cladding problems, with my Pella Architect Series windows and doors installed throughout my home 1995. Please check out this website, detailing the various window and door failures/defects: www.onlinelitigationdiscovery.com Please feel free to share your similar stories on my website. Thank you.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

Sorry. Didn't mean to post that twice. But like I said, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and document your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

Do not buy from them

I purchased Pella windows for my home that I was the General Contractor for. On several of them the aluminum cladding on the outside is coming loose, and on the Pella sliding glass door as well. On the two casement windows in my master bedroom the air leaks right through them. You can feel the cold air hitting you in the face. Last winter I put plasic up in one window and when it was windy out the plastic would bellow out as tight as a balloon. In my front bedroom the 3 windows in there have mold growing along the bottom from the air leakage and condensation buildup. When I called Pella to complain about the casement windows which are still under warranty, the customer service rep. wanted to blame me for the situation. When I asked to speak to a supervisor magically none were available. I would strongly recommend that you never buy a Pella window. They have been an absolute nightmare to own.

• Mi
    milkmama26 Jan 09, 2010

I have the same issue with our Pella windows! Our home was built in 2008 and that first winter I began to notice moisture along ALL of the windows, but especially those in our master bedroom (there are three windows and a door that leads outside from our MB). The builder sent a Pella rep. who told me too much moisture, humidity, yadda, yadda and pretty much told me to crack a window! In the middle of winter, in Iowa with a brand new baby??? I shouldn't have that issue in a brand new house! I have mold growing between the upper and lower parts of the windows in the master bedroom and bathroom, mold growing on the pane itself (where its attached to the plastic, not sure what its called) and mold on the window sill. We've lived in several homes around the U.S., both older and newer, and never have had an issue like this. We're still waiting for it to get resolved. Meanwhile, we breathe and sleep with mold infesting our home because of their faulty windows. What a pain.

• Gl
    glss Feb 25, 2010

We're also disappointed with our Pella windows. They are not even three years old, yet they look much older with all the mold stains. The windows were stained and sealed, yet the mold gets into the wood and leaves black everywhere. Humidity is not an issue in this house, as we have a brand new furnace that controls the humidity to an appropriate level.

I'm disgusted and disappointed in Pella. We have 9 out of 10 windows with mold growth. I can't believe we wasted the money on Pella windows. A company who allows people to live with mold in the air and can't stand behind their product. Shame on them!

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may warn anyone thinking of buying Pella. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

MariaFallow Feb 18, 2013

I noticed mold, lots of it on the window pane at the bottom of several of our pella windows. We purchased over $40K worth of Pella windows and doors in 2008 so they send a service technician who tells me that it is a condensation and humidity issue. We have radiant heat so I know it is not humidity. This is a failure and they are not taking ownership for this. No window should be growing mold after 3 years. I know there is a class action lawsuit but I have soo many windows and would like recommendations on how best to handle this to insure that we are protected from a catastrophic issue.

leakage

One of our Pella windows have been leaking probably from day one. Since the leakage was small, we did not detect until several years later. Once we figure out the problem, we contacted the Pella Window representative.<br /><br />
They sent people to look at the problem window and told us that the window needs to be replaced and we have to pay the installation. The problem is we live on 8th floor and it is going to cost us arm and leg to correct the problem which is a result of defective window and defective installation the first place. We have emailed the manager several times to resolve this issue. We are still waiting for their decision regarding how to resolve the problem. Today it raineded hard and the water poured in through the leakage. It is going to rain all day and I had to take off from work to keep mopping the window to prevent further water damage of our room.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I'm sad to say that I've experienced the same problem with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors (ALSO cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues). These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may EDUCATE consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

• Do
    Dotie Sep 29, 2011

We have just replaced sliding glass windows on our sun porch. These are Pella - plastic composite - look and slide very nicely, but when it rains they leak - there is a gutter with drains, but the water still stays in the gutter. "Expert" came to see them and told us that this is just the way they are made. Sounds crazy to me that water can get inside the house because "this is just the way they are made". Disappointed as they were not cheap, but having difficulty in getting a good reason for this happening.

gsmckee Sep 25, 2012

condensation

I have a octagon shaped window in my bathroom that condensation builds up on the inside when the outside...

Repair

I contacted Pella to replace a patio door glass my daughter had broken while mowing. They charged $50.00 to come out and give us an estimate. It then took 2 weeks for a response... Just to find out they wanted $126 for the glass which is reasonable but they wanted $400 labor to replace a single pane of glass !!! This is highway robbery !!

Do not buy from them

I purchased $35, 000 worth of product from them in 1993. One window failed within the warranty period and the others have been in the process of failing from day one. All of my windows/doors what are exposed to the elements are failing. I have repaired 2 windows that were rotted and now 5 more are letting water in. They are hiding behind their 10-yr warranty but I feel they should stand behind their products especially if it a design flaw which I feel is the case here.AllI have searched the net and have found numerous complaints about their product and service. All I need now is a class action to join or start. DON'T BUY PELLA!!

Multiple mechanical problems

I had a Bed and Breakfast built in [protected] and began operation 1996. I have had nothing but
problems with Pella windows ever since. I paid Pella several times to repair the windows.
The repairmen never had enough spare parts or time even when spending an entire day.
The windows are a hazard. They are underengineered to say the least. The wind will pull
them apart and they would have fallen from the second story except that we attached chains
and keep an eye on them all the time. They are always out of alignment, sagging, binding, dragging and the cranks break off with a minimum of turning pressure. They are built NOT to last. If I could afford it I would replace them all. I would never buy another one.

It takes many days, if not weeks to get repair parts. The last time I called I was told Pella does not
provide service in Taos as they did in the past. Good luck in your area.

poor quality/no customer service

I bought $65K in Pella windows and doors. the Pella service, from delivery to quality of finished product ha...

Do NOT recommend Pella products

You walk into a Pella showroom and their windows/doors look beautiful. We spent over $40, 000.00 in Pella Windows and Doors and can tell you from experience that they are not worth the money. We bought double hung windows/sliding glass doors/french outswing doors and fiberglass doors for a new construction home. First of all, if you have your contractor install their product, immediately they want to blame your installer. DO NOT BUY their Fiberglass doors. They come from the factory in less than satisfactory condition. We had a door replaced 3 times and they all had the same bad paint job (paint flakes). We've had this door for a year now and it has already faded badly. Before we bought the door, they claimed the great thing about this product is that it doesn't fade from the sun! LIE! We ordered a set of windows for our Dining Room and the same exact set of windows for our Living Room that our Contractor was going to install. When the windows arrived, they forgot to mull them together into one big window. Pella ended up having to come to the site to mull them together and install them. Pella can't blame our Contractor because Pella installed these windows and they did a terrible job. We've had leaking and moisture problems and eventually had to hire our own people to correct the problems. BEWARE OF PELLA PRODUCTS...THEY TELL YOU WONDERFUL THINGS IN THE SHOWROOM BUT THEY DO NOT BACK UP THEIR PRODUCT. PELLA QUALITY CONTROL AND THEIR SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES ARE THE WORST. I will never again buy or recommend any of their products.

gsmckee Nov 21, 2009

We also purchased Pella, to the tune of 53 Archict windows in September 2009 . We agree 100%. We recomend that people stay far away from Pella. We wish we could get together personally on line to communicate with others like us. We want to know if anyone else would like to join in a law suit. We can be reaches at [email protected] We live in Iowa.

• Ha
    HandyManDan May 21, 2013

I have about 30 Pella casement windows + French doors - the architect series that were almost new when I purchased my house in 2001. I'm sure they cost a bundle. I have had numerous issue - including the factory applied paint/finish that was inferior. A good number of the windows have needed mechanical repair - and the parts are not cheap. Usually $50+ per window for replacing the cheap nylon sliders, latches, hinges - whatever happens to go - not to mention typically having to take the casement window out and re- glue the corner joints, re align the windows, etc. These windows are at 15 years old now and may be a stretch to get another 10 years out of them. Come on - can we expect at least the hardware to be rated for greater than 20 years. The factory service here is almost non responsive - have to get parts from ebay.

ICE ON THE INTERIOR

PICTURES SPEAK THE TRUTH I ONLY HAVE ONE QUESTION TO A PERSPECTIVE CUSTOMER WHO WANTS THE TRUTH PELLA IS...

Pella

Poor design

In 2004 we moved into our new home built with all Pella slimshade Windows and doors. Within two months, one of the "raise/lower" devices broke. Local Pella dealer came right out and replaced screen with different design. It works great BUT is completely different in appearance that nine other windows in same room. In addition, none of the slimshades will stay up. They slowly fall to about half way with some of the shades facing up and other facing down. Looks kinda crappy too. Now another screen has a broken cord. All this AND... mosture between the panes! My advice... buy Andersen Windows!!!

Moisture and Frost Inside Windows

We bought a 40 year old retirement condo 4 years ago which had original windows with interior storm windows. Since we have electric heat and Connecticut has the highest electric rates in the continental US, we decided to have the wndows replaced with Pella. Their installer insisted that the storms needed to be removed and that we wouldn't need them. Well, we now have moisture on the inside of 3 out of 8 windows. The service tech came this week and told us we needed to remove drapes, install a dehumidifier, etc.

We didn't need to do any of this before, we are $8k poorer, and this morning was wspecially cold and we woke up to frost on the inside of the window closest to our bed!

ABailey Jun 29, 2010

• Da
    david scheck Jan 22, 2013

I've had my pella window for 30 years, with no problems .now all of a sudden i get moisture at the bottom of my windows, can someone tell me how to fix problem-it's not by running a dehumidifier either! help!!!

Bad service

Had whole house installed with Pella Impervia double hung windows. Had serious air leakage throughout all of the house windows. After 3 service calls and no answers, all the Pella service manager could tell me was that in thier gaurentee, they have the right to refund my money and walk away. After 4 months of back and forth, I took that option which left me to shop for windows and go through the whole process of instillation again. For referance, I used Gilkey and they are tenfold better than the Pella impervia windows. Beware as this is a cheap product and they are trying to get into the vinyl replacement market with very inferior product.

Jay T Nov 09, 2008

I too, bought a poor quality product from Pella. A storm door that started rotting out from the inside out. 2 years old, had all the receipts, they sent me a makeshift door worse than the original and charged me $30 freight. The glass was installed wrong and I had to reuse the glass from the existing door. No hardware- I would not recommend this product to anyone! They do not stand behind their product!!

• Ji
    Jimmy2 Jul 03, 2009

I also wasn't informed about the Impervia... What I found out was this... Fiberglass can and will degrade in Ultraviolet. YOU HAVE TO PAINT/MAINTAIN this product. It is not a maintenance free material. Just look at the cheap sprayed on coating. Boats have expensive gel-gloss coatings that STILL allow cracks to form below when exposed to UV. Also, the weak points are at the corners, because fiberglass cannot be welded, it has to be glued and screwed together, which can lead to the above mentioned air/water infiltration. Thirdly, it is hardly a green product, as it's on the top 10 hazardous materials on OSHA's list, and when it gets warm...oh yes, it does tend to smell... In all reality, it still looks like a cheap vinyl window anyway, with the 45 degree corner bevels and the visible tilt mechanisms...yuck. I miss my old wood windows.

gsmckee Sep 26, 2012

Our stroy is simular. As we all know if Pella were providing quality customer service for their shifty product there would be no negative postings on the web. We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!

Windows and inswing double doors

I spent over $100, 000 for Pella Architect windows and doors and they have performed terribly.

The windows leak cold air around the compression jambs where the window sashs meet. This is due to shoddy construction, poor installation of weatherstripping and unbelievable difficult installation guidelines.(which Pella reps cling to as way to CYA their poor quality)

The in-swing double doors are worse! The locking mechanisms doe not hold the doors tight against the weatherstripping when the wind blows. This is due to poor placement of the pin receiver and undersized pins. (Really poor design and construction is the real problem) The result is drafts and on certain wind directions "whistling"!

The real disappointment is the service. Pella has tech reps that come out to fix the problem, go through the motions but in the end are unable to stop the drafts. If you escalate the problem their management follows a company line that blames the GC for bad installation. (My GC reinstalled several windows to Pella spec and they still leak)

I have been trying to get these windows and doors fixed for two years and am just now figuring out what the real deal is. Don't trust your architect because he needs Pella more than he needs you. He will just stall and evade. The GC is the same. He will never see you again but will buy windows from Pella for years. If you have problems with Pella get a lawyer because that is the only way to get these guys to do the right thing for their customers.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

Charged me for one product and charged for another

My Wife and I called this pella sales rep and had him visit our home for direction of ordering the proper...

3 comments Carolina Beach Home & Garden

Poor customer service

Pella of Kansas City failed to provide the correct skylight flashings for my roof windows. After a long delay, they sent additional skylight flashings, and invoiced me for an additional $2625. I complained that the correct skylight flashings should have been in the original order since I discussed the roof type in detail with my Pella sales representative. Ultimately, I agreed to pay an extra $1000 for the skylight flashings in order to prevent futher delays to the project. Once the second set of flashing was received, my roofing contractor informed me that the second set of flashing was also incorrect. I attempted to return the incorrect flashings, but was informed by Pella of Kansas City that they would not take them back.

I contacted Pella Corporate to complain about the franchisee. In their correspondence Pella of Kansas City claimed that they discounted the flashing 100%. This was a blatant lie, and I produced evidence including the invoice for the flashings, to show that indeed they invoiced extra for the incorrect flashing. Pella Corporate decided not to take any actiion on my behalf. I don't know how Pella of Kansas City can feel right about how they resolved this issue, and I'm disappointed that Pella Corporate would tolerate such bad behavior from one of their independently owned franchises. As far as I'm concerned, it reflects poorly on their entire brand.

ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I've experienced many problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims and my concerns have been met with TERRIBLE customer service. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers about this company. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

Pella - watch out

We have a Cole Sewell storm door, owned by Pella. The door is deteriorating from the inside out. They will do...

Lowe's window installation voids warranty

I had Lowe's install Pella windows in my home in Pittsburgh, PA late last year. After their contractor...