Old Navymisleading promotions, bait and switch tactics

J

Back in May of this year, I went to a store in Fort Worth, TX and was told by the cashier that my order of less than $20 would be half off if I signed up for an Old Navy visa card. I thought that sounded like a good deal so I said go ahead. Hadn't heard or thought about it since. Fast-forward to tonight, I get a call from a collection agency telling me I owe over $110 as a result of this card. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the half of my order that was being "saved" on the purchase, around $9, was put on the card and had been accruing interest ever since, to the tune of over $110. I had never actually seen any bills or past due notifications because I was never aware anything was on there. Concerned about the repercussions on my credit rating, I had little choice but to pay $80 in order to put my account back in "good standing." So an innocent trip to Old Navy for some sunglasses turns into me wasting an hour of my time and having to fork over $80 to a collection agency and I don't even know if that's the end of it. Do I have any recourse? Is Old Navy willing to recognize that these practices may not be the most upfront and honest? I seriously had no idea that any charges were being put on the card and never actually laid hands on the physical card nor was I aware any such charge even existed.

Old Navy and all its partner stores will be losing business as a result of these types of bait-and-switch tactics, I'm sure.

maggie713 Jul 17, 2014

Seriously, who opens a credit card to save $11? Did you think that $9 charge was going to disappear? In what world does someone open a credit card and forget about it? Didn't it occur to you that you'd have a bill? Or how about the fact that you haven't received the card. Yes, please blame Old Navy for your lack of common sense and financial responsibility.