NetZero company logo
reviews & complaints
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

34 complaints
15 resolved 19 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

NetZero reviews & complaints 41 - 34

NetZero complaints 34

NetZero - Unauthroized Charges

I had canceled my netzero account over a month ago because I couldn't get my laptop to work with their service. The woman I spoke to kept trying to sell me stuff. I continued to say "No" and got very frustrated with her persistence. I was still saying "No" when the conversation was over and the account was finally canceled. I found a charge recently on my bank statement for $4.95 to UOL*NETZERO. I called them up and found that they had charged me for using Norton Internet Security after a 30 day trial. I never used their Norton software since it already came with my laptop a few years ago. I was able to get them to cancel the Norton charges and refund the $4.95 payment. They were able to confirm that I had not used there version of Norton.

I too am being charged over $11.00 each month on my credit card dispite the fact that I have called 3 times and ask to cancel. I would advise everybody to not get NETZERO ! Their service is so slow you can't use it and then they will not cancel. It is a rip-off !

B

NetZero - Fraud against customers

I just signed up for their service yesterday. I phoned them with a question about my $14. 95 per month service. The man, who was from India added a bunch of services on my account without my...

NetZero - Unauthorized charges

As of dec. 16, i have 2 unauthorized debit card preauthorizations for $1. 00 each for uol*netzero suddenly show up in my checking account. I called the number and was asked if i had an account with...

T
Nov 25, 2008

NetZero - Fraud

I keep getting these annoying letters in the mail about "my" net zero account being past due for $18.84. I have never nor will i ever have a netzero account. When I try calling it says to write and...

C

NetZero - unauthorized charge to credit card

I was checking my balance on my credit card and noticed that there was a charge to UOL *Netzero for $1.oo that I did not authorize or know anything about.

Oct 20, 2008

NetZero - fraud/stealing

they are attempting to take money out of my account and i have nothing to do with them. i have no idea how they got my name, acct. number or email address. this is frightening

Oct 19, 2008

NetZero - Fraudulent Charges

A charge has been made on my debit card for UOL*NETZERO. I have never used their services. Why and how can they gain access to my account? I want them to cease and desist with this action. Maureen Seiden

Apr 14, 2009

Thanks for the answer, PJ. That is exactly what happened with me. Glad I found your answer here, because I was able to go to the Classmates website and turn OFF the automatic renewal option before it was time for renewal. You saved me at least $20-30!

P
Nov 18, 2008

I had the same thing happen. After some investigation I found out that the pre-auth charge was for Classmates.com. Apparently when you sign up for their service you are enrolled for automatic yearly renewal. I called them & cancelled the service before my current subscription expired. They tell me the pre-auth will fall off my account. If you do not catch it early enough you will have a very hard time recovering the funds. It's all in the small print when you agree to classmates.com terms & conditions! Hope this helps!

A
Jun 19, 2008

NetZero - Netzero a company of swindlers

Swindlers and thieves try to find new ways ripping off customers and here is what Netzero has designed which also many other DSL ISPs have employed. During subscription process they don’t mention certain fees, particular $150 cancellation fee. They mention it several days later after subscription is complete and a customer received DSL modem. To avoid responsibility they establish 30 day money back guarantee during which you can cancel subscription, which they put in front in their advertising. In other words a customer is notified about $150 cancellation fee after he has started using the service. Now if you disagree with cancellation fee you can cancel the service getting your money back, but you’d have to send equipment back to them for your own account and look for another DSL ISP therefore very few people really do it. The problem is that connection speed which cost money drops down below dial up right after that money back period is over so it does not make sense to use it. However if you want to cancel the service which you cannot use anymore you would have to pay $150 cancellation fee.

How many thousand people have been already ripped off and how many billions of $$ was stolen from us, who knows? And what this dysfunctional government does about it? NOTHING!

B

I also canceled my netzero and was told they was sending me norton... I told her No I do not want it do not send it ...well got it today what can I do as I do not want to be billed for it.

J
Aug 15, 2008

I cancelled my Netzero Platinum service of $9.95 as of March 2008 and switched to AT&T DSL that same month. After speaking with a male service rep, I cancelled everything and they told me I wouldn't be billed anymore. A month later, I'm billed for $4.95 for the account I cancelled under a different plan and I call again to cancel. The female service rep. then tells me that I will not be billed again and now, August 2008, I am billed for $8.85 for the same account with a 'now' added Norton service which I never agreed to. I distinctly told her that I wanted my account cancelled again! I want to know where they're getting this information to keep billing me despite the fact I've cancelled over 2 times! I have enoguh to pay for with phone and college tuition, I don't need their services which I've cancelled and they still keep billing my credit! I've filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Comsission online and I suggest you all do it as well so they'll stop this.

F
Jun 07, 2008

NetZero - Impossible to cancel

I canceled netzero within a week and was still charged and did not get a refund.I called three times to cancel and they still charged my card for months.I changed card # and they charged the new #. I changed numbers again. A year later they are trying to charge me again.

Please email me at [email protected] I have a collection service with the experience, knowledge and time to get you justice. Please email me for more details. Thanks

D
Mar 20, 2008

NetZero - Scam charges!

I have had netzero for a few months and have had problems with the service. I called to cancel my service because I was tired of complaining. The young man on the phone said how sorry he was and offered me two free months service. He said they had been doing some work on the service and he really didn't want to lose me as a customer. Like an idiot I agreed. He said I would have another mail with the service too which I told him I didn't need. It ended up not being 2 free months but 24.99 extra for a megamail box that I didn't order or want and am still being billed 14.99 for the high speed dial up (what a joke). When I found out about the billing I was very angry and called them. they changed the 14.99 to 18.89 and didn't take the 24.99 off the bill like they said they would. I am livid! I have contacted a CLASS ACTION ATTORNEY to see if there is anything that can be done to end this wide spread abuse of the American public. If you are interested in this please e-mail me at: [protected]@aol.com Hopefully we can stop them. Don't think that just because it is a small about it doesn't matter, it does! From another site I found that Unitedonline who owns netzero has 366 employees and grossed $167, 520, 000 last year. I'm tired of having my pocket picked, how about you?

May 12, 2008

I had been used broadband for many years. Last month, I received my phone bill with extra $37 from netzero. I called them and they claimed I had ordered the dial-up service two months ago. Since I had never order or needed the dial-up service, I asked them if they can tell me who and how a person open a account without my knowledge. They cannot tell me anything on this matter. Anyone who know your name, address and home phone number can open a account on behave of you, then use the service and charge to your phone bill. After two hours on the phone with them, they finally agree this is a fraudulent account and cancel the account. From all these reading, I will double check my phone bill to make sure they had stop billing me. We also call the phone company(at&t) to reprot the abuse. It turned out at&t provide a service that would blocked any thrid party to charge to phone billed directly. We signup immediately. With 3 sons go thru school years, I am sure my name, address and home phone is not a secret.

H
Mar 16, 2008

NetZero - Net Zero's &free& trial isn't free!

Signed with Net Zero for a one-month allegedly free trial. Credit card charged immediately. Within days, it was clear the service was poor (slow access when I was able to access their servers at all; very slow downloads). I called to cancel the account. (You MUST call.) Their rep tried to retain me as a customer by offering me several more months of allegedly free service! I declined. He eventually gave up trying to sell me more service and said he'd cancel my account. I told him my credit card had ALREADY been charged for that allegedly free month, and he said it would receive a credit on the next statement. No credit was ever received, despite my sending letters for several months notifying NetZero that it had charged me for a FREE month.

BEWARE NetZero's offer of a free month's service.

A
Oct 27, 2008

I'll do you one better...I've never in my life called Netzero...I've never had there services either..but I just went to look at my bank account and I just saw a charge for $14.95 on my account? I called them and they passed me through 6 people before finally cancelling the fraudulent account! I called my bank and canceled my debit card that it was charged on...I have no clue how the hell they got the number or my name...I'm calling my attorney in the morning.

L
Aug 26, 2008

I just discovered that the same thing has happened to me! I will contact my credit card company and refuse to pay the bill. I pasted the Netzero add on the internet so that I have proof that they offer the free trial period to back up my claim that it was supposed to be free. After all, the credit card company is MY agent, not Netzero's.

Feb 24, 2008

NetZero - Unauthorized Charges, Horrible Customer Service

My husband and I live in Japan (military). I needed service for 2 weeks (home for the holidays) and spoke to NetZero reps. I was told it would be no problem . I signed up for a free service but was instructed to give my credit card info. I used this service exactly 3 hours in 1 day and it was horrible. I called to cancel and was told no charges wiould be made to my credit card. Well in January I was charged $9.95-after speaking to several rude people and being placed on hold forever (I was back in Japan and the time difference kills us) I hung up...but a few days later my card was refunded. But then in February to my suprise I was charge $25.00 for a cancellation fee ...for a free service? After talking to 4 people and 45 minutes later I finally spoke with a floor manager who again told me I used this account for 3 hours and I said it sucked...but he did say give him 48 hours and my credit card would not be charged again. I told Mark if it was I would get a lawyer and find more people who have hade the same/similar problems and do a class action suite. We will see if I get charged next month-until then...

We cancelled our Netzero about a year ago becuase it sucked and everytime we'd call for customer service, we got someone who barely spoke English and we couldn't understand them at all - they would try to get us to agree to some additional service and not address the purpose of our call at all. After several months, I realized that we were still being charged $4.95 per month! I called and again got someone I couldn't understand etc... It was so frustrating. He agreed to refund $9.90. I said "No, I want a full refund of all the months you have been charging me $4.95 with no authorization." Another representative called me back on a Sunday and offered me a reimbursement of half of the charges, stating that I agreed to continue Norton Anti-Virus charges. Again, I said "No, I didn't agree to anything but only asked for a full cancellation of thier services" and told them I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau. I did exactly that. I made my complaint and the BBB contacted Netzero for a response. The response was that they "didn't have my account information in their system and that I needed to submit my credit card number." I couldn't believe it - my rebuttal was not nice, and I refused to give the credit card number - they should have my "closed account" information by my phone number. My last response from them, was for a "full refund", but they claimed that I agreed to a "back-up service" and the only reason they were agreeing to fully refund me, was becuase this "back up service" had never been used by me. They claimed they were refunding me out of courtesy! Since I received a full refund, I cannot send another rebuttal, but boy am I furious! Does Netzero think we are all idiots? If Netzero is doing this to you, please contact the BBB - you can find the BBB on line and complete your complaint. Really, the BBB needs to know what's going on. ~Kari in South Dakota

D
Feb 02, 2008

NetZero - Increasing electronic transfer for payment of account!

Received notification that NetZero is going to further penalize those of us who pay their monthly charge by automatic electronic transfer from bank accounts, by increasing fee's, for an already...

V
Sep 14, 2007

NetZero - Belled after cancellation

www.netzero.net

I cancelled my account with NetZero about two months ago, or so I thought. I was looking at my account today and noticed that they had billed me again. After a long process of trying to get through to them via telephone, I cancelled again. They said that they cannot return the money they took from me even though they could see that I haven't used their service. To make a long story short, I would not recommend NetZero to anybody. In fact, I would strongly urge people not to use them at all. I liken them to a parasite, and feel that the US Attorney should investigate them for fraud and theft.

Jun 03, 2016

Q
Sep 08, 2015

They do this all the time-they biilled my card twice after I cancelled and had a receipt of such-i had to cancel the card.

Nov 14, 2008

I am doing my college assignment on Outlook, but netzero keeps taking me off line and it takes time to get back on- line and I loose valueable time. Why does netzero keep taking me off line?

J
Jul 06, 2008

Netzero kept billing me after I cancelled my account for some security service that I never asked for.. I had same thing happen with some guy with broken english telling me it wwas free. I flatly refused that offer and said I want nothing but to" cancel" everything with "NETZERO" ..They charged my CC for 3 months before I found out... I will see if they are going to do the right thing. Best thing to do is not use Netzero at all. Go with a local service

T
May 17, 2008

I am going through the call and cancel thing now.
I called them in January '08 and what they didn't tell me, was that after giving me the whole sales pitch of you will get two months free just for being with them, and they would cancel my account, I get billed for the high speed accelerator that I deleted off of my system two months later.

They didn't tell me that they would start billing me again, usually when you call to cancel, that means CANCEL! Not start it up again, and be billed for the high speed separately.

So I call them again, and they give me the sales pitch again, and I could barely understand the guy speaking his version of English, and I ask him, can't you just cancel the service permantly, cause I don't want it anymore, and I deleted everything off my PC, cause I don't want the two free months?
He told me flat out no.

He said that I have to call two months later again, and tell them I no longer want the service, or they will bill me for the high speed, again.

So this is how they get to start billing you again.

Now I've called to cancel, and have to call two months later to cancel, again, and this better be the last time.

NetZero is the perfect name for these guys, try to cancel them, and you'll get ZERO.

1 2