Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Building, Construction M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes poor and dangerous craftsmanship performed in kitchen

M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes  -  poor and dangerous craftsmanship performed in kitchen

K
Author of the complaint
10:31 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband and I bought our Richmond home in 2013, in the Banning Lewis Ranch community, in Colorado Springs, CO. To say that there were issues with the house is an understatement, but I wont digress. Some of those issues were fixed within the "warranty window, " after painstakingly reducing myself to beg the reps to do what was promised. The current issue however, is beyond the warranty window, but wouldn't have been discovered unless doing a current remodel like we are now.

We decided to reface/redo our kitchen to make it more user friendly for my medical ailments. Upon removing the existing cabinet doors in the kitchen, we discovered that the craftsmanship was performed substandard at best, then cleverly (and dangerously) covered up with "patch work." As you can see in the pictures, the inside cabinetry is undersized or cut too short, and pulling away from the framework and the wall. Also, the cabinets that are situated above the fridge were cut too short (lengthwise), and only attached with two screws. Then, where the cabinet meets the wall, the workers placed a scrap piece of wood, to fill the gap where the cabinets were cut too short. Not only is this cosmetically displeasing, but it was only a matter of time before the cabinets pulled completely away from the wall. In the corner, the back part of the cabinet is not even attached to the framework anymore. This not only compromises the integrity of the cabinet itself, but the shelves that hold the personal effects, are pulling away as well.

Not only is this level of work unacceptable, but deficiencies like this are not evident to unsuspecting homeowners who trust that the work performed by Richmond employees, is worth their hard-earned money spent. My husband is active duty Army, and I am a disabled veteran, who bought this house using a VA loan. We thoughtfully considered the location of the house, to be centered around the medical team that I will depend on the rest of my life. How disappointed I am in the work performed, and the shameless attempts to cover up the mishaps.

The contractor who is performing our work will not (and should not) assume the responsibility of previously and poorly performed work. We now have incurred additional costs, to "right the wrongs" and bring the cabinets to a safe working order. If we do not pay the extra money to properly measure and secure the cabinetry, our efforts are futile, and expended money will be wasted. The cabinets in question are unstable and can be moved and manipulated with one finger. I can only presume, that not even you (reader), would spend a significant amount of money to reface and redo your kitchen, if it could fall off the wall at any moment.

We chose Richmond American as our builder, based on the belief that they were the elite builder, and craftsmanship and customer service was of the upmost importance to them. Based on my discovery today, I no longer believe that craftsmanship is a priority. I suppose your response will enlighten me as to whether customer service is of any importance to you at all. We certainly don't expect Richmond to pay for the changes that we chose to make to our kitchen. However, the additional costs that are incurred due to the lack of craftsmanship, the lack of attention to detail, and the lack of quality, would be an acceptable resolution.

Taken from your website in the "about us" section

About us
"The Richmond American Homes companies have homebuilding operations in ten states with a solid reputation for quality and attention to detail. Personalization is what sets the company apart—no cookie-cutter homes here!"

I attempted to add 6 photos for you to view, but the website says that the photos are too large. I have provided my email below. If you email me, I can send you the videos and photos that I took.

I appreciate your time and consideration while reading this email, and look forward to your response. I do not wish to provide my address on this forum, but will be happy to provide any other necessary information that you may need.

Krisell J. Creager-Lumpkins

Update by K Clump
Jul 02, 2018 5:55 pm

I forgot to add my email

[email protected]

Krisell J. Creager-Lumpkins

More M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes complaints & reviews

M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes - No refund of deposit!
M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes - Rip off!
M.D.C. Holdings / Richmond American Homes - They are the worst