Complaints & Reviews

Sunset Ranches scam

this company advertises in the Pennysaver, City Paper, and online websites. For a number of years, they have offered cheap deals on 20 acre "ranches" in El Paso, Texas. The realty is that the land is "scrubland". Brandi Grissom, reporter for El Paso Times wrote an expose story about the Texas Attorney General, a Judge, et. al failed efforts to stop the land deal scams because a man commited suicide, people have lost their life savings, and the landscape in Sierra Blanca and Van Horn is dotted with old trailers, half buillt shacks, etc. from those who were ceated into this scam. When consumers default on the monthly payments, Sunset Ranches forecloses and takes back the properties. I canceled my contract with them within the seven day period after sigg the contract. This because of finding online that it was a scam. They simply sent me a package with a land plat saying I was owner of 60 acres for 40 acres price. (I fell for that!) It is sadi that what they are doing is barely "legal", but legal none the less. This makes no sense if they misrepresent what their "product" is. Hudspeth County or the State of Texas should assume a more aggressive effort to stop this scam. They get to send tax bills to thousand of duped consumers.
HELP THERE SHOULD BE SOME JUSTICE...

• Ar
    Armando Mar 30, 2009

What kind of goonball wrote such comments about Sunset Ranches? Sunset Ranches are honest people and over 2, 000 of the 20 acre parcels have been sold and I can't find too many people that are unhappy with their parcels except the disgruntled person who wrote the negative feedback. I bought 2 20 acre parcels nearly 4 years ago. 325 of my friends bought them as well. So who do you believe (The goonball or me?) If they were a scam, then the Texas Attorney General would have closed them down and the owners would have been arrested. The parcels have gone up in value from $8, 995 to about $16, 000 sine I purchased mine about 4 years ago and they continue to go up in value. They are nice because they are grandfathered under the original zoning laws which means that you can build structure without having to worry about city codes. There is water about 400ft. down and you can drill a well and make your own man-made lake as many have done. I visited there and found that many people have already built their own houses there and are living off solar energy and backup generators. It is quiet and peaceful living there and my prediction is that eventually development will begin there as El Paso is crowded and the next most logical place for expansion in the area is where the parcels of SUnset Ranches are located. Don't believe that pot head who wrote the negative article!

Stephanie Mar 30, 2009

I've been dealing with Sunset Ranches for about six years, and have been very pleased with their service. They do not hide information, to my knowledge. They have been very truthful with all of my questions - I verified information, and looked deeper at questionable aspects.

I am purchasing 20 acres for $8, 900. I researched the company and did not find any customer complaints. I also researched Hudspeth County, and its surrounding areas. I was not surprised to find the land is not exactly "prime." Why else would it be $8, 900? The truth is, it is 20 acres - prime or not. I have not seen my land, but I am not so naive as to expect a lavish, rich piece of property - I do know what to expect.

Complaining that the company forecloses on property not paid is not a legitimate reason to call the land deals a scam. I have often gone nearly four months without making a payment, and am informed each time the exact date and time foreclosure will take place as well as the minimum amount of money needed to be removed from foreclosure status. Sunset Ranches provides plenty of warning. There are also few fees associated with default. In fact, Sunset Ranches has one of the more lenient types of bill arrangements I've seen in a long time. They also offer a plan to help those customers unable to avoid foreclosure so the customer does not lose everything.

I was foreclosed on once - my mistake - not Sunset Ranches. My land was immediately transferred to another. When I was able to pay the past due amount, I was placed on a waiting list and when another property became available, I was provided the new land package. I was actually pleasantly surprised with my new plot. It is now about 30 miles closer to El Paso which to me was a plus.

When I do have a chance to visit Texas and see my land, I expect to find rough, mountainous and/or desert land, in a very rural area. This is what I bought, and I was fully aware of it. Is it worth the $8, 900? Its 20 acres! I am fairly certain, that at some point in my life, I will see a benefit of purchasing a plot of land for such a low price.

ScottyMax May 19, 2009

I am surprised that the county allows legal 20 acre parcel sizes in the middle of a wasteland. Here in California land like that could not be divided into anything smaller than 640 acres. I guess if you need to fulfill your need of becoming a texas cowboy through an overpriced prepackaged set up then what the hell. Land is only worth what people will pay for it. When a company has to spend huge marketing dollars for a SMALL properties solicited to several small investors, I can assure you that your not getting them deal of the century. You have to ask yourself, what does the property contribute, can you lease the ground, is the any development potential this century for the property, can it be planted to any crops, is any natural resources available, can you find water? If you can't answer any of these questions then the properties real worth is nothing, zip, zadda, zero. The only way the property has any value is your ability to convince someother poor sap that it has value. And since your marketing budget isn't nearly the size of the developers chances are that is going to be extremely difficult.

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@ScottyMax 640 acres. I beg to differ. You see I live in California. I come from a large family all of whom have purchased raw land in Kern County from half an acre to 2 1/2 acre lots. We were one of the first ones to buy in this area when the ranchers here began to subdivide their lands. It was barren scrub land just like Sunset Ranches, now it is a highly populated oasis. The payment plan was no credit needed 1000.00 down and 100.00 a month. Now this was in the 60's and 70's when that plan bought you a very small lot. It looked good back then because there wasn't anybody around then. But it's looking pretty crowded these days which is why I am so happy about the 20 acres at Sunset Ranches. I've lived in California my whole life and I have never heard of this 640 acre thing you are talking about.not many people I know could afford to buy 640 acres but here we all are landowners in California anyway.

CharlesATX Jul 08, 2019

@ScottyMax Im an owner of several of these plots, and I beg to disagree with your statement "the only way the property has any value is your ability to convice some poor sap that it has value". I've been to see my lots, I looked on google maps to approximate the general area (who wouldnt? its the internet guys) and when I went out to see it it was even more beautiful than I had imagined.

Personally, I love the desert. I bought in this area because it was cheap (I live in the Austin are) and pristine and deserted. If you're looking for strip malls and bars and a taco bell, look elsewhere. Otherwise the value can be plainly seen upon visiting: solitude and a vast expanse of nowhere.

Of Sunset Ranches, I would have to say good things. They are always helpful (if not terribly polite over the phone) and so far have been as good as their word. I have nearly defaulted once but they were very plain spoken about what was going to happen. They gave me time to get back on track with payments. Its not a "miss one payment and forfeit your entire investment" sort of deal. The land is scrub. It is remote. there is nothing there but a few other landowners and the desolate beauty of the desert. Water can be found and a well dug. I dont think that mineral rights come with the property but Im not sure on that score.

When I say cheap, remember that I could have a postage stamp 1/8 ac lot with a house overlooking my neighbors kitchen, for a cool $500k here in Austin. Or I could spend a fraction of that for more space than I will ever find a use for and some solitude. Its not for everyone, but its definitely for me.

• Ji
    jiminj Jul 08, 2009

I am surprised that someone could accuse Sunset Ranches of running a scam. 20 acres is 20 acres my friend, and in the words of Mark Twain (or any of the other personalities to whom this has been attributed), "Buy land, they ain't making it anymore!" If you bought the land thinking you were going to get a 20 acre tropical resort for $8900, then you are truly the epitome of naivety. $8900 for 20 acres works out to $445 an acre. A steal. And at that price, of course it's not going to be prime real estate, but the point is to buy it as an investment, or to build your dream home if you don't mind well water and solar/wind power. El Paso is expanding... There's no denying that fact, and the logical place for the expansion to head is to the east. I'm holding on to my 20 acres and if I don't see the benefits from it in my lifetime (it's paid off, so I don't even worry about it), maybe my kids will be able to benefit from it. At the very least, I get the bragging rights to tell people that "Yes, I own 20 acres in Texas", and I'm happy with that.

CowboyJim Sep 16, 2009

Is it all about sunset ranchs or the people the hire to do their work.Usually is the dead beat, people who drag the roads with old chain link fence and are getting paid to "grade our roads"Yes i am a old cowboy who is broke and lives out here in the ranch area.I have watched a certain short, fat, blonde guy screw over sunset ranchs by hiring poor unsuspecting people to do his work and then he doesnt pay them.
    This then leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth about sunset ranchs-its not the owner s creating this bad enviroment its the dozerman person -the man that puts you in his white truck and drives you around and shows you the desert land that is for sale-shoot this guy would lie to his mama to sell you that property and get his commission check from sunset of florida .He does it every day, day in day out just for the buck.
    So may be you should blame him instead .sunset just buys sections up, pays him to install roads and signs and to help sell this dead land to people from the cities who only have so much money in their pockets.Its then they find out the cannot survive in the desert with out spending money they dont have.The cycle then repeats.
    Most the land in that area sells for about 75.00 to 100.00 per acre and there is tons of it.Go to the local court house and tell them you want to buy some of their back tax property.They will be happy to sell it to you the same way they sell it to anyone.Well i have wasted enough of all our time here.Happy sailing.
    James
    ps ;
    i own mine free and clear too and there is good snake hunting everyday.

Robert Vernon May 28, 2018

@CowboyJim I am a newbie to this area and bought 100 acres. contact me at [email protected] and set up a meet in July 2018

Danno29 Oct 11, 2009

We purchased a 20 acre track about 6 years ago. I have never seen it except on Google Earth, and one day I will most likely sell it. It is a well known fact that Hudspeth county Texas is a waste land for dumping toxic waste and everything in between. Just do a search on Google and type in Hudspeth County Texas. You will see that a bunch of waste from NYC arrives there by train, and lots of other stuff. They are dredging the Hudson River in NY right now. They are digging up PCB's that have been dumped there by General Electric. Guess where the PCB's are going to end up? Probably somewhere close to our land. It is on it's way to Western Texas. Exactly where remains a mistery, but I sure can take a good guess. Anyway, maybe someday a good rich company will want to buy our land so that they can dump there toxic waste on it and polute the ground water even more. Maybe someone will jump out there and stop all the toxic dumping. Your guess is as good as mine.
    Danno

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@Danno29 Did you know that every community or city in America that has a sewage treatment plant is a dumping ground for sewage. Just say'n :)

Danno29 Oct 11, 2009

Click this link or copy and paste into your browser. You will be amazed...

Danno

• Mo
    Mo Deemi Dec 08, 2009

Does the foreclosure process affect your credit, I heard owner financing does not report to the credit bureaus?

desertdog Dec 12, 2009

I bought 20 acres for 7500.00 and now they are selling for 16000.00. I don't know why anyone would label it as "wasteland", it's typical Southwestern brush country. I think it's pretty. There's no 'scam' involved..you look at the properties, and if you want to buy, you buy...Wheres the scam???

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@desertdog Amen to that !!

• Do
    DocTao Jan 04, 2010

Danno,

Uh when was the last time you did research on the Sludge dump in Sierra
    Blanca, Tx. If I recollect the Sludge dump was closed for operation in 2003.
    Basically we can hold the past Presidential Administration, prior Governor's
    of the Great State of Texas for selling the environmental "Soul" of Texas to
    the highest bidder. Sierra Blanca's residents stood standfast and got the
    State legislature to halt the transportation and the "processing" of the
    Sewage Sludge from NY. This area had been tapped for possible approval
    for a Permanent Nuclear Waste Facility.Both high level and low level waste
    was to be shipped, trucked or trained to the southwest part of Texas. Again
    the stalwart few who gave a serious damn about our Ecological future said
    no Nuke garbage in our Backyard. It never happened as of yet. Now I am
    a property owner with Sunset Ranches and have yet to have any problem
    with the way they do business. Yes people, it is High Desert Land. What does
    that mean? Landscapes can go to being similar to the surface of the Moon, to
    scrub land known commonly as " arroyo" . It is not your Verdant Green
    Paradise, but beauty is often in the eye of the beholder. Yes, amenities are few
    but for the select few who are and need be resourceful it can be Paradise Found.
    It can and will be a test for the uninitiated, but the Night time skies can be
    awesomely inspiring, and the Milky Way can become like and old friend.
    Desert land is not for everyone. Not something to be entered into lightly.
    If you survive on challenge, and the will to make things happen, you might
    find the Desert to be calling out your name. Okay, you might get some
    sweltering days during the Summer, but on the average the Temps are in
    the Upper Eighties with next to no humidity. Comfortable sleeping weather
    at nightime the Mid- Sixties to Mid-Seventies. You get a little wind and a
    sandstorm every now and then isn't unusual. As far as I'm concerned it's
    new way of Life.

• Sp
    Space Citizens Jan 18, 2020

@DocTao I can't imagine how any of the whiners here could ever survive any hardship. I've been there done my research and water is at 400', septic systems must meet state health codes. Power is available on some of the properties but who needs it when you the sun and wind. I'm moving back there soon and I am looking forward to the challenge. Our ancestors didn't have cars and electric when they settled in the panhandle of Texas and Oklahoma. Some of the ranches have been handed down for generations. So if you can't see the value of peace and quiet or open clear skies to see the stars or Starlink at night put your pacifier back in your mouth and shut *#+"* up. One more tidbit for you. If Amazon President & CEO Jeff Bezos can buy it for Blue Origin or Richard Branson of Virgin Galactic I guess it has no value. Space industry here we come.

• Se
    seilock Jan 12, 2010

I have a question for every owner of Sunset Ranch. How are you so sure if your lot you bought haven't been sold before? Most lots in texas has been reported on USATODAY that it has been sold more than once. Have anyone made a contact with the county to see if their lot, because all lands have parcel numbers to identify with county and tax, that they are actually the owner or just some goonball paying off a large company until they call bankruptcy and can't be sued?? Do any of you even have a parcel or just going off of what you want to believe? If you haven't seen your land, make note and do go see it. Because owning land for years and not seeing it, well, you might as well buy a car and let someone hold it for you while you make the payments for the next six years.

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@seilock My friend is already living there and she is extremely happy with it. I'll be joining her in a few weeks. As well as another friend who has indeed visited her land repeatedly calling it her "little piece of heaven". So what people think of the place just depends on the people. Period!!

Johndoe1963 Mar 14, 2018

@Debby King Debby, Did you move there? I am in San Antonio and thinking of buying a few lots there to hunt, shoot and camp.
    Daniel

Robert Vernon May 28, 2018

@Debby King I would like to make contact with you as I am a newbie and will arrive this July 2018 for my walkthrough and confirm boundary markers and begin to build my homestead. Please contact me at [email protected]
    and chat.Thanks Dr. Robert Vernon

• Wi
    William Ables Sep 09, 2019

@Robert Vernon I am about to purchase 120 acres and wanted to check on the water. I am planning on digging a well and was wondering if you have checked on this. I understand the water to be around 400 feet. Is that correct or should I expect to go deeper?

ScJax2019 Dec 28, 2019

@William Ables William, most registered high volume water wells in the Sierra Blanca area are 650 to 1200 foot and are about, on average, $30 to $40 a foot not counting pump and tank. Texas doesn't keep records on low volume water wells or seasonal water wells, so it is anyone's guess what you are looking at.

• Su
    Sunshine713 Jul 14, 2020

@Robert Vernon Hello, I know someone who owns 60 acres and wants to sell it. Any one interested?

• Ju
    Junkeon Feb 18, 2010

I'm a person who's, at most, happiest with something that I call my own. I've seen my big beautiful piece of God's gift to man and, as you can read, am very content with my perfectly priced piece of desert land. I can see all these discouraging comments come from people who may just want to scare off people from buying or keep their land so that, maybe, they and their friends can go and buy it up to profit from the little guy and basicaly suck our bloods out. Oh well. Some may just be looking for a clue and too scared to go find out for themselves. That's too bad. Mark my word, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and, this is a beauty, to me. Those of you that don't apreciate what is there, you should pull that long rigid cane out and go take a long look at this place. If the view and the breeze don't take your breath away then, this isn't for you. Accept it and move on.

• Be
    Ben Browning Feb 24, 2010

I purchased a 20 acre tract from Sunset Ranhes back in 2000, and I checked with local authorities, city hall, and the BBB, in which they ARE a member. They are fine!!! I rode around and looked at properties with a longhaired cowboy, too bad I don't remember his name. But he was HONEST!!! He did NOT try to sell me a promise of an oilfield, or a gold mine. He told me the shortcomings. The roads are unpaved, and when it rains, and yes, it RAINS, people get stuck!!! The closer your property is to a mountain, the soggier your property will be, due to mountain water runoff. I paid on the land for a year, then defaulted and lost the land, because I had to buy developed property in FL and could not afford 2 properties at the time, and then I fell in love with and married someone who had medical issues and was unable to live under the circumstances in which this land provived!!! What I saw was exactly what I got. I do NOT think Sunset Ranches is a scam!!!

• Ha
    Harold Hawley Apr 18, 2010

If you do your homework it's all laid out for you. I grew up in the forth largest city in the United States, have lived in Austin and on Galveston Bay.
    I love the desert, the peace and quiet, and the possibility to build the type of green structure I want to live in.
    The land is not advertised as lush, heavily vegetated, trees, lake front or anything else except for what it is.
    The guy from California is right about the land, but he's wrong about California not selling this type of land except in 640 acres parcels.
    On a page like this you can type anything you like. The only problem is with the indignant postures spouting misinformation, it's just a dissapointment to me.
    In every state there are agencies designed to protect the public from all kinds of scams, and Texas is one of the best.
    If You are going to spend Your money on anything, it's up to You to do Your due diligence.
    This property is if you'll pardon the expression "dirt cheap", and during the time I have been looking it's gone up from $50.00 and acre to $200.00. I'm coming all the way out there next week to make a purchase, and by the way, you won't get mineral rights either.
    You get what you pay for and Texas desert land is not Beverly Hills, but it's peace and quiet, clean air, with lots of wide open spaces. If you have to have your shopping malls and subdivisions stay where you are. That'll leave a bit more space and less noise for the rest of us who appreciate the opportunities that this situation provides.
    If you are undecided, stay at home and figure it out. That will give me more time to find the best property for me.

• Bo
    BobHicks Apr 19, 2010

Land is land. Those of us that are property owners out here and Live out here Love It. Im very happy with my land at sunset ranches.

landguy74 Apr 21, 2010

According to Sunset Ranch's ad in Forbes Magazine April 2010 Edition, this land is located near the proposed "Travel/Space Center". So someone is lying or exagerrating the facts--who could it be? This company, with an excellent track record for selling properties at low cost so that EVERYONE profits or will profit? Or goonballs who are not seeing an immediate profit because they thought it was a get-rich-quick opportunity via real estate? Hmmmmm...I beg to differ. Regardless if this land is being tapped to be a major refuse or sewage waste disposal site, the buyers are investing in this land in an as-is risk type of relationship with the seller and chances are, like every commenter stated on this website, a major corporation will want to purchase this land for their operations to continue processing dumping or a risky developer will come in and decide to develop this land, which is located 50 minutes from El Paso which is growing abundantly by the month!!

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@landguy74 My 20 acres is exactly 23 miles from the actual launch pad. How much closer would I need to be before it's ok with you if they advertise as being close to it ?

Steve R. W. Apr 28, 2010

Hello to all,
    Well I have discovered an ad by sunset ranches and have begun the process of searching out information on the company, on the land, on the sludge and so on.

We unlike many are interested in the type of land that is being offered. Build green, supply our own energy and so on. With that said we know this is desert land, not a paradise. I do wonder about well water, I have been told to reach water you need to dril 400 feet, I was also told 1200 hundred feet by a sunset agent.

My concer about well water -- Is it safe? On this land? I have read articles about the sludge and so on.

What I am thinking of doing is simply flying in and speaking to the local residents. Hear what they have to say, that or randomly contacting a local business and speaking to whomever answers the phone.

The wife and I would like to bring our horses to this land, have a septic installed, bring our 40 trailer to the land. There are so many questions before this can be done. Hell, will our trailer be washed away! during a storm! Does flash flooding occur on this property?

Anyone with honest answers please feel free to contact me (813) 699-2657 my email address is [email protected]

I will say this I am not dilusional, I realize this is not prime land but exactly the oposite, it is however what we are looking for, no neighbors 20 feet away, rough, rustic, but peacful at the sametime.

ANY HONEST INFO WOULD BE APPRICIATED! hELL IF THE LAND ISN'T CONTAMINATED AND WE WON'T BE WASHED OUT WE ARE HALF WAY THERE.

elopez14 May 14, 2010

Well I just finished going to the land plots and in my personal opinion they are land that if you work with it, it will work back with you. I am from El Paso and the drive isnt that bad. To get to a restaurant from fr1111 and 180 is like 5 minutes and then the nearest supermarket from their is exactly 35 minutes to get their which in my opinion is not horrible. I am planning on purchasing a 40 acre lot in these up coming months. Their were people building out their already houses already built(mainly mobile homes) but still they had their septic and what seemed like water containers. I am planning on going fully green from the solar panels and septic system to either drilling a well or having company fill up a tank to keep drinkable water. Scam i wouldnt say it was but its gonna be a very long time before anything develops to that area so dont expect water, electricity, sewage or gas lines. I got to see some horses just running around with a great deal of cows and antelope which is great to see nature at its finest. Overall if you are planning on living off grid and have time to build i say go for it there is dirt road but it seems in certain parts of the roads it gets muddy. We took a nissan versa out while it was dry and had no problems getting around all over the place. Overall its dry like 90% of the time, there is flash flood warnings around that area but next time it seems like it rains i will go out there in my truck and see how it gets. Well if any decid e to buy land around there let me know [email protected] my wife and i will be building our own house out their and would be nice to know a few neighbors. Good luck !

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@elopez14 I have such mixed feelings about septic systems. After doing alot research I wish more people would choose composting toilets and greywater filtration. Seems so much more friendly to the earth znd our water tables. But changing people's mindsets will probably take decades :(

TexasLand May 25, 2010

Time will tell on this venture. I would love to hear from anyone who has land deed in hand and validated the purchase with the County of Hudspeth.
    I just financed 40 Acres through seller but who is to say I will ever see a deed? Like many I am worried "something" will occur beyond my control between now and the next 242 payments that will render my investment null. I rolled the dice; hopefully the company is just and true. I will attempt to determine the validity of this company. Below are my concerns;
    - I make payments with nothing that says I own anything., other than a non-official map and plot info from the company. (i am still waiting on the welcome packet - so we will see)
    - I provide my SSN to a internet site (crazy me), sounds like a 60 minutes special report coming.
    - The company is based in Miami (weird)
    - I sent Hudspeth Co land deeds a letter requesting information on that particular area (waiting on a response)
    - No one I can verify who actually "owns" land in this area - many are paying but where are the "owners"?
    - The land is remote

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

@TexasLand Lots of people with deeds in hand already. The truth is out there

• Bo
    BobHicks May 26, 2010

come out to the ranches I can introduce you to a few people that have a deed in there hands. Depending on which area you bought your property at as there are 4 separate sunset ranches areas. Fabens/fort hancock, Cornudas, Sierra Blanca and from what I have heard there is now one in Pacos area. Some areas have few inhabitants. The ranches around the Fabens areas has around 200 residents. Jack is the developer/owner and they are based out of Miami

• He
    hehehe75 Jun 11, 2010

Looking at the pictures on the internet the pictures appear to be scrub and generally devoid of vegetation in some pictures. I think you need to know how to farm in a desert environment before you sign anything. That was an interesting point that you made about more water runoff in hilly mountainous lots I will take note when purchasing properties. I am on social security and use to having very little, a desert procurers a lot of dreams but I suggest you just be smart about it.

TexasLand Jun 24, 2010

It is not about what kind of "land" it is - I understand it is scrub land. As far as farming goes, I am not trying to farm in Arid Desert land.
    What I am worried about is how this land is being sold. You the buyer get nothing other than a picture and letter saying congratulations and a PO box to send money.
    - The evil thing here is; due to the fact it may take years to find out you has been duped.

It would be MUCH better if the Seller would actually "finance" the land in a traditional manner, which they don't. You, the buyer are left with all the risk, the seller has no risk whatsoever.

You have waived your rights to mineral rights on the property, and the seller states you are allowed to use your land right away. Once again, all risk is yours, building anything on this land is HIGH risk until you have a proper deed.

• Ww
    wweleckwww Oct 07, 2010

Steve

I live out on Sunset ranches near Fabens area my mom bought the property about 12 years ago and has been living out there ever since. I love the place. Me and my girls recently moved in to live with my parents they too love the properly. It is amazing out there. This is not a scam by far.

One of our friends had a well built on his propety and the water is clean and safe to use. He had someone come out and run test on the water to ensure that it was not contaminated. We used water from his well for some time and are alooking at getting a well in our property. We did not use the water for drinking purposes but we used it for any other daily use. We have generators that we use for power and solar panels as well.

We love it. There is many more families that live out here. I am buying another property that is right around the corner from where my mothers land is located by far this had been the best investment that we have done.

Very Satisfied.

ram c Oct 23, 2010

ask 4 a deed in your name with a lean to it that will be the sunset ranches as the lean holder.

• Lloralleaves Feb 02, 2011

I am one of those people who purchased sight unseen in 2003 then got nervous and searched the web for info...then lost it in 2008 when the state of WI sent my homestead credit in my ex husband's name, just as I was trying to avoid foreclosure. Jack called me personally and offered me my lost investment money on another lot. I took it as another smart and peaceful business move, not a scam. I Google Earthed the new plot, but am not sure I did it right. I need to make it a primary residence or pass the lot onto family this year, so I welcome any feedback and help, as I am an SSI recipient and can't wait to leave the WI blizzard outside my window! Please email me if you can guide me through the Google Earth process again or suggest places to stay and purchase supplies when I arrive there! [email protected] Thanks, Llora

• My
    mymeathead2000 Apr 05, 2011

My family just purchased 20 acres in the blue quail ranch. we just made our 2nd payment and plan on moving down there this summer. the problem we have is lack of info and what exactly do we expect to find beside desert. we would love to talk to someone who really lives in the town or on one of the ranches. And the big question we have is there any work and any places to rent while we build our home. So would someone please help you can reach us at "[email protected]" thanks neighbor

• Pa
    Paul Sinclair Sep 25, 2011

I am looking at buying a 20 acre lot in the Blue Quail Ranch off of the Big tank Rd. Any comments on the area would be very helpful. Thank You, Paul Sinclair.

• Po
    potential custome Nov 20, 2011

In researching the properties available, according to the map posted on Sunset Ranches web site the longitude and latitude on their map doesn't match the area according to several other website maps. what's the deal?

• In
    Interested_LAND Dec 07, 2011

We are considering purchasing land in the Cornudas Ranch (off Highway 62 between El Paso and Dell City). My question is why are mineral rights not included in the sale and who has (or keeps) mineral rights.

scooterdelaware Feb 05, 2012

im looking to possibly fly down there this month and physically look at some land there, is there anybody that could give me some good pointers, or people there to talk to? Thank-you!!

• As
    AshleyAlexandria Feb 08, 2012

IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. THEN IT PROBABLY IS. I would NEVER give anyone money for a parcel of land without first going to the exact location and walking on it. Making sure that it really exists. I have driven through this part of TX and to be honest it is not a place that I would live. This part of TX is unsafe. Mexican drug cartels have taken over El Paso to the point that Police officers are scared to go out onto the streets. I live in Austin, and hear some horrifying stories about Drug and Mexican Mafia/Cartels all the time. Always around this part of TX/EL PASO/BORDER. Put the money you would spend on this into a Roth IRA and save your money.

Joseph DuPont Feb 09, 2012

So what about their money back guarantee? Do they honor this? Or is that a scam too. 1500 foot minimum home plus garage.. 180 days to complete???

Concernsperson Feb 20, 2012

Hi, to all those peoples who brought land from sunsetranches. I'm new at this and had been thinking of buying 20 or 40 acres land. I'm from El Paso but, living in New Mexico. I have always wanted to purchase some land and have horses there. I have been reading some of the posted comments about sunsetranches? I'm to wonder about the land they are selling, How realistic are they? are they a scram? I quess we all take a risks but, the only different is that I'm not young but, old in my mid 50's and can't afford to be scramed or taking by them on their misrepresentation? I do tend to believe that they are honest cause, I seen this ad so many times in the papers for years and like someone said, if they won't honest the attorney general of Texas would have put a stop to it!! So, if anyone have any information please let me know. my email is [email protected]

StrongWilder Mar 03, 2012

I am looking to purchase a parcel of 20 acres also from Sunset Ranch, now my question is why can't I have the mineral rights to my own land? So, if I dug down for water and hit oil it belongs to someone else?? That's stupid! I live in Illinois and can't conceive a flash flood in the desert. I want to raise cattle can you fence this land off? I think it would be better to ask Sunset for a deed with a lien (not lean) on it to hold in your hand. If you are planning to buy email mail me please and share info [email protected] I am worried about the Cartel and illegals running across my land.

joetam Mar 10, 2012

im looking to buy land in yexas at sunset ranches and have read all the complaints and reveiws . and it sounds like a great place and i am looking forward to coming for a visit to purchase land thank you all for your positive input on sunset ranches glad to know im in on a good thing thank you all very much and if anyone has any advice on sunset ranches and the land please contact me for am moving there this summer .. being cold in maine lol have a good day all u can write me at [email protected] thanks for any information u all give

Rosss Apr 04, 2012

I just purchased 357 acres at Quail Ranch, and the potential of this land out-weights the negative, but true concerns. The future private space center is a reality, and the enormous potential of this land in the long term, 10-20 years will make some land owners very wealthy. The space center will induced supporting, and new research companies to establish with in the area, housing will be required, business will follow.
    People buy land for many reasons, perhaps the primary reason is to have a piece of land to call your own, and pass it on to your kids later in life, and buying land in this area is not for everyone, but for individuals like myself is the equivalent of buying Google stock when it was 20dls. You are only betting it will go up, but if you do your research you have a better chance to succeed, in my case I'm only following the money, and very wealthy individuals in the technology field have purchased enormous pieces of land in this area with in the last year, I'm sure they did not buy this land to build their homes...Food for thought!

• Tl
    Tlcpets2010 Jul 01, 2012

hi there where looking into buy land. where do we go to find information on water tanks and delivery of water to our land. please help us someone.

JayDBurton Aug 01, 2012

I have looked into the sale of “Sunset Ranches” awhile back; they are certified by the Better Business Bureau and various other groups for being honest and forth right. There is always one or two in every crowd that is displeased with everything! So it does not surprise me that there are a few complaints. Yes, this land is not fully developed yet, and yes there are better areas than others…but it’s up to the buyer to find out all these details. Ten to fifteen years from now the land will be fully developed and a hell of a lot more money! As they are not making any more land in this world. If you want some land around you and not a lot of people, there are some great areas still left…but they are selling fast. I live in an expensive crowded area, and I can’t wait to build my home and buy a horse for my new property when I retire in ten years or less. Don’t listen to the clowns who complain about being hung with a new rope! Sunset Ranches will be fully sold someday soon, and you will wish you had bought some property when the prices were quite reasonable. Congratulations to those who did buy, and I look forward to having you as neighbors.

• Pw
    pweddo Aug 29, 2012

Can anyone who already got a well drilled and sewage hooked up tell me how much I'm lookin at spending

• J. Overstreet Nov 15, 2012

Does anyone have any recent pictures of the area out at Sunset Ranch? I haven't been through that area since I was just a kiddo. I lived in the Mojave Dessert growing up so I figured I would buy some land out there. So I did, 60 acres worth to start. If you have any photos please email them to me if you don mind at [email protected] Thank you.

• Sd
    Sd investor Nov 15, 2012

It is a very good sales pitch! I was suppose to meet with a Sean and his partners for a meeting to start investing or at least learning how to invest with no cost and no running around bringing them leads... And when i arrived ( 2 hour drive later), he wasn't even there. It was a seminar to sell you classes. Been there, done that... These people get you in the door and sell you a product in a deceiving way. They don't tell you anything about their company over the phone not even that this is a seminar and that this meeting you will be attending, 40 other people will be there too. This is a misleading and unethical way of conducting business and i want no part of it and wouldn't suggest it to anyone

• Tj
    TJAYMAN Dec 17, 2012

Im seriously looking to purchase land in the next few months. i was told there is good hunting in the area. i figure if i get some land i can go out for hunting trips with friends... if the property becomes valuable late then great. if not then i would have used it for something. if anyone has any info on the land please e-mail me with any details. especially write me if this is a scam. [email protected]

• Hi
    hill billy Dec 28, 2012

I am buying land out there i think its nice thats why were moveing there soon but were buying 60 acres oh hope to find some one who can put cows on it for me to keep land cleqan and up but we will be liveing there to. are people nice and ect. there nice at sun set ranches every one has there own say about it oh .

• Jb
    jb76475 Jan 14, 2013

I just bought 200 acres. I travel and work thru this area. Lots vary by site; some are flat scrub and some are rocky. I bought more of the higher rocky area. It was green and cows were running loose. (Open Range). water is available by well. Hunting if you fence your property. Read the property covenants. Talk to the land man; and take the offered tour of your site. Septic system is also required if you live on property.

• Je
    Jersey Eddie Jan 24, 2013

The property offered by Sunset Ranches LLC isn't so much a "scam" as it is very expensive when all the operating and carrying costs are figured-in. Perhaps too many would-be investors are blinded by the low payments or the fact that they don't require a down payment, but fail to calculate the cost a drilling a well, installing an approved septic system, installing a usable driveway, and the cost of generating their own electricity. If you do your due diligence, you will discover there IS a convenient requiring property owners to buy a 2, 500 gallon water container, a minimum of 1, 500 square foot house with at least 1 bathroom, which must be completed within 6 months from it's start. Perhaps too many would-be homesteaders imagine living cheap - parking any old trailer, hanging a single PV solar collector off the roof, buying a couple 5-gallon bottles of water and being set, only to find they can't do that. My dad always told me, "...there's no such thing as a free lunch..."

Desert Diplomat Feb 07, 2013

I am buying 40 acres in sunset ranches and I haved lived there for over a year now.People expect more than what they are actually payiing for.The whole truth about sunset ranches is that you cant ask anymore of them.They have been a true blessing to me and my family.The real problem that noone wants to talk about is the town.Sierra Blanca is a bad city .The city or the people that govern it should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing any growth or change.2 convience stores owned by locals who get all the revenue, imagine that.Not a grocery store, carwash, dollar general, thrift store, macdonalds, and a whole lot more of nothing but greedy and selfish locals.Everything is probably controlled by the same group of people who are preventing any change.does anyone know what kind of controll this is called.I wonder why we dont have a walmart?It to must have gotten voted out.Anyway, I wouldnt trade my sunset ranches for anything but i do wish the locals would leave sunset ranches alone and fix whats wrong in their own eye first.Grow up Sierra Blanca.

Rosss Feb 16, 2013

For those people who have never been to Sunset Ranches, A scam is when you pay for something that is not there, Sunset Ranches are there, but if you don't pay your loan, you are going to be foreclosed, that's not a scam, that's real life, the land is raw with mountain views, the main roads to get to Sunset Ranches are in excellent condition, the immediate roads to your future property are just trenches, for you to upgrade when you move in, a few cabins and or small homes are visible with in miles with in the different tracks, some areas are better than others, but the reality is that if you want to get away from cities, this is the place to be, you can bring your mobile home, and you must install your septic tank, you do not need to drill a well, if you can not afford it, you just need to get a water tank and buy water from local mobile suppliers, they will bring it you you, or you can go get it at a lower cost. I purchased over 350 acres a couple years ago and I'm getting closer to moved into the area.
    For those of you who are religious, and would like to move out of the cities, and be away from the coasts at higher elevations, you will have a better chance of survival in a place like this. You will have no problem planting your vegetables, and raising animals. I'm telling you this because is my duty to pass the word. God Bless us all!

raineykhandie57 Mar 05, 2018

@Rosss thank you. maybe we can be neighbors soon. I have been researching this company because this land seem like what I have been looking for. I'll need friends and neighbors. [email protected]

• Lo
    LoneStarLegend Apr 09, 2013

My family and I moved to Sunset Ranches years ago and have been happy ever since. Any of you who think it's a scam are FOOLS. We started out with 40 acres and now we own over 100 and STILL BUYING MORE!!! Our water is clean, just like our air. We DO have game to hunt if you know what you're doing and our livestock has done well. Overall we couldn't be happier. On top of that, when our family fell on hard financial times I went to the owners personally & explained to them we'd be late on our payments and not only did they waive late fees but it also led to them sending me some work!!! What a blessing. Because I live in the area and know these roads like the back of my hand I have been able to barter out some of our monthly payments for Roadside dead animal carcass removal, guiding new property owners to their lots, reading maps & mending fences. So until you have shook hands with the man yourself and looked him in the eye as I have and had him do everything possible to help you out please don't judge the good folks at Sunset Ranches!!!

• Be
    beckybo May 19, 2013

well i to have bought land out there and i do no there is nothing there but a desert lol .but i like a lot of don’t care i want a place to call my own where there is no people and if i have to live in a desert so be it lol. how ever there is something all should no what if someone came out there and open a business that would help the town? Yep you got it build it and they WILL come J just something to think about as more land sells out there every day.

• Pr
    Proud to Own Jun 08, 2013

I just bought 60 acres. I called Hudspeth county appraisal district. I verified that Sunset is the current owner of the unit and of each of the 20 acre parcels that I purchased. I received the coordinates to my property and verified that the land is not part of the sludge land from New York. I also spoke to the lady at the appraisal district and she says they are a good company and that they are an honest company. She also clarified that the land is not on the property with the sludge, which she says the sludge is what is typically used as fertilizer. She said the articles are old and that it was safe to live there. She says she and her family have always lived there and that they are " healthy and still around".

raineykhandie57 Mar 05, 2018

@Proud to Own Thank you for your post. My name is Rainey and I am hoping to find a small piece of earth.

• Su
    Sunshine713 Jul 14, 2020

@raineykhandie57 Did you find what you were looking for? I know someone who wants to sell 60 acres.

RavenSkyy03 Aug 19, 2013

Hi everybody, just like most of the people on this thread. My husband and I are thinking about (will be) purchasing land down at Sunset Ranch soon (like within the next couple of days). I know it will be a slow process and may even take a year or two to officially move down there. We are currently in the process of doing heavy research as far as having a well drilled and a septic tank installed as well as financing a manufactured home to be placed on our 20 acres. We are a African American married couple in our late 20's, with no kids, a pretty quiet pair from Georgia. We are finally ready to step away from the big city rat race. Any advice would be great. We are having a hard time finding the right companies that will service that particular area. Looking to get ball park figures for pricing on satellite services for internet and tv, plumbing and well companies, also asphalt paving companies for a basic driveway, and possible a water supply hauling company for water storage in case drilling a well turns out to be outside of our budget. We look forward to hearing back from you guys. Thanks in advance!!

• Ze
    Zeusib Jan 23, 2018

@RavenSkyy03 So have you moved there yet what is it like ?Getting my paper work today for sunset ranch will let you know which plot Kevin

Scratch Made Cafe Sep 12, 2013

We had purchased 100 acres from Sunset Ranches and paid it off after just a year of making the payments. We was told how there is NOTHING on the land... ie, no utilities. We was told we would have to drill for water or truck it in. Luckily we was NOT lied to. The only problem lies with the ability to keep stuff on the land that you are trying to get done. If you put up some fence posts one week and then go out the next week to check and make sure that everything set up proper, your posts are gone. Everyone here in the Sierra Blanca area knows who takes the stuff you put out there but now catching him is another story. If you want to build on your land, make sure that you can go out to it every day. Other than that problem, we are totally happy with what we got. We have met a lot of new friends and started a restaurant here, where we have felt like we are all family. This is a very tight community and we love it here.

raineykhandie57 Mar 05, 2018

@Scratch Made Cafe oh, did you say food? lolol Great. This place is sounding better and better all the time. Lets be friends once I move out there. My name is Rainey

• Mi
    Mike Berger Nov 11, 2013

People are hilarious. They buy land sight unseen and then complain when the land is barren and has no utilities. Go look the parcels over and THEN make a decision. The properties are typical West Texas ranchland...no more...no less. Any sensible person knows that there are restrictions and laws governing sewage disposal, water availability etc. THE LAND IS DIRT CHEAP FOR A REASON.The properties are fairly priced for what they are. There is no scam, only stupid people blaming others for their lack of homework. I have 20 acres past Cattleman's and have my title. Jeez...

• Mi
    Mike Berger Nov 11, 2013

No scam, just look at the land before you buy and realize that there are expenses involved in getting septic and water etc. to the property. Do your homework. The land is fairly valued for what it is. I have 20 acres past Cattleman's and have my deed. Some people make bad decisions and then blame others either through stupidity or malice.

richard henry jr Jan 26, 2014

Hello, I just got 40 Acrs on the pay as you go plain SO FAR SO GOOD I am now over the net getting info have done in past but want all the up dated stuff I can get. Yes they have been nice to me and helpful and should be getting my signed contract back to me in the next day or so.I plain on buying a very nice close to new as I can rv and may be later a home, as I want to do some travel as I am retired and turning 60 feb 2014. I have read every thing on here and do know what this type of land is like have traveld through this area long be for it was for sale and its very nice land yes its desert but that's what makes it what it is breath takeing views. hat im looking for is any one on here have a RV on land in sunset ranches ? if so my email is [email protected] better yet phone me at 814-387-4837 I would love to ask you some things about RV living there it would help me a lot very much so. I plan on making a trip to see my land in june 2014 cant wait.I am hoping to move down there in dec 2014 well hope to meet some great folks down there know I will

richard henry jr Feb 16, 2014

Hello, my name is Richard Henry i posted on 26th Jan 2014 and made mistake on email and phone number.I bought 40 Acrs on pay as you go every thing has been ok, no problems yet.They have returned all my calls and have been of help every time i called. I have been on the net every day checking all kinds of stuff out about the land and where get things all kinds of info. I WOULD BE GLADE TO SHARE EVERY THING I FOUND OUT just phone me Richard Henry at 814-387-4830 would be best as it would be lots of typing or email me at [email protected] or [email protected] am retired, so have lots time to check stuff out and have done much checking out.Hope to get down there in June 2014 am in unit 421 at blue quail 1 Ranch of 1111out side of Sierra Blanca hope to hear from any one from there or other sunset ranch lots, LATER MY FRIENDS. HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU When i move down there real soon hope by next year.

richard henry jr Mar 23, 2014

HELLO My name is Richard a friend who was going to get some land at sunset ranches sent me this i was in shock. I called my land agen
    t that sold me my land he said not to worry that they dont inforce this i thought then why did they print it i hope i type this address in right if not email me here it is click on it https;//www.sunsetranches.com/home/pdf/sunset%20DECLARATION%20%200f%20%20RESTRICTIVE%20%20C0VENANTS.com

• Nj
    NJ-Atul Apr 05, 2014

This is not a complaint. This is a letter acknowledging and appreciating services rendered by Sunset ranches.
    I bought my Land from the firm and am satisfied with the handling and professional manner in which SR has conducted the business.

lazyl ranch May 06, 2014

My wife and I purchased a 20 acre parcel on Sunset Ranches Blue Quail 2 in October 2013. Found the roads not real good to it and had to travel 3.5 miles to the highway . Also found that we could not tie to the eletric lines passing through its center due to private ownership of said lines. Thus we found a better lot on Blue Quail 3 that is more accesible to RM 1111 and did a land swap 20 acres for 20 acres with no problems whatsoever. We are very pleased with our purchase and our parcell. The moutain veiws are beutiful and we watch antelope on our property regularly. Rich and Jerry both have been very professional and helpful in answering any questions we have had and with resolving any concerns brought to them. But if you are afraid of hard work best you stay away . Homesteading is just that. Obtain bare lan
    d and make a home just as the people who came here in the 1700:s and 1800s did. Hauling water is a must wells are deeper than 400 feet however more like 1000 to 1600 feet.

• Th
    The Cady's May 29, 2014

Hi, My husband, four children, two dogs, and I are thinking of buying land now! We are naturalist, pure nature freaks lol and we Love the peace of nature and living Natural like back in the day... Bare minimum, Solar power, well water... Keep it Free! "Less is definitely More" Yes, we know the fact that this is undeveloped land and there is no crowded stores, malls, etc crowding the area but that is Exactly how life should be! Were destroying Natural beauty for all the housing, malls, stores etc being built. Which is a crying shame in my point of view.
    One of our main concerns is we heard that we HAVE to drill a well and septic system. Does anyone know if this is true? We spoke to Jerry and Jeff and they have answered all of my other questions. When we purchase land we would like to build small type cabins and have lots of animals and grow our own food.We would like to speak with someone who has bought land and is Currently living on the land they purchased.We do not believe in paying so much money for a house when you can pay just two hundred dollars and have twenty acres of land and build your own cabin and have it exactly how you want it. If all this pans out to be true, we are VERY Excited to be purchasing land and moving there right away for this would be a "Dream Come True".
    Sincerley The Cady's

lazyl ranch May 29, 2014

YES YOU MUST PUT IN A SEPTIC SYSTEM THEY RUN AROUND $2700 HERE. As for a well drill at your own risk . Water is very deap and it may or may not be pottable. We have a friend that has a 900 foot well and still has to purchase drinking water . He can wash clothes / bath / laundry and such but cannot drink it. Most do as we do and get water from Hudspeth county it is $ 24.91 a month for 2000 gallons . Addition water is around $ 8.00 per 1000 gallons . Also there is a deposit of Around $ 130.00 to get an account. We haul our own water in a 350 gallon IBC tank and trailer . We ourselves have a 1600 plus square foot cabin we are finishing out . But if hard work and an aversion to defending your family and property is an issue think hard. I say this because law enforcement is 30 or more inutes away and most times cannot get to us because they can not find us ( GPS DOES NOT WORK HERE ). Cell service is spotty and Verizon is best . Border Patrol is lack luster in responding to reports of illegals in the area when we report it . BASICALLY WE ARE OUR OWN LAW AND SECURITY HERE. IF YOU COME AND HELP YOURSELF OTHERS WILL DO THE SAME FOR YOU AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE . The barter system is very much alive and well with thse of us on the ranches. Hope this helps. Resident appointed Ranch Patrol Officer.

lazyl ranch May 29, 2014

YES YOU NEED A SEPTIC . COST IS AROUND $ 2700 BUCKS. As for water do as everyone here does buy it through Hudspeth County Department of Water . Around $ 130 will get your account started and $ 24.91 a month will get you 2000 gallons. Catch here is you haul your own water. Wells here go very deep and are exspensive to drill / also water is likely not to be pottable . We do have illegal aliens cross regularly and Border Patrol and Sherriffs office is slow to respond . Also are 30 or more minutes out and rarely can find those of us who live out here even if you are off of R.M. 1111 itself. GPS does not work past the paved road and best for phone service here is Verizon . Exspect lots of hard work and wind . If you come out bring a truck ( cars are no good here ) / dog / WATER / FOOD / AND A FIREARM. As these things are needed here . We have a variety of venemous snakes some of which have no anti venom. Also panthers / cougars and other large breed cats / havalena / coyotes and a few wolves . Not to mention wild dogs people have dumped . Plenty of Antelope and jack rabbits and doves and quail. ALSO YOU WILL HAVE TO BARBWIRE FENCE YOUR PROPERTY TO KEEP THE FREE RANGE CATTLE FROM DESTOYING YOUR GARDEN AND PROPERTY . BECAUSE THE RANCHER DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR HARD WORK OR PROPERTY . HE WILL DRIVE RIGHT PAST NO TRESSPASSING SIGNS IF NO FENCE OR GATE IS BLOCKING HIM. AND THE POWERS THAT BE AT CORPORATE SAY IT IS OK FOR HIM TO DO IT UNTIL YOU HAVE A FENCE UP. HE LEASES THE GRAZING RIGHTS EVEN WHEN WE ARE PAYING FOR THE LAND . JUST ANOTHER WAY THE RICH ARE GETTING RICHER OFF OF US.

• Aj
    A.J.V. Jul 25, 2014

Hello,

I just purchased 120 acres in the Sierra Mountains at a very good price. Yes it is a risk there is nothing there but pure country and mountain. If that's the scene you like I think this is the place for you. I am only 2 hours away so i will be there to see it for my self and get to talk to the locals. I don't think there is anything wrong with investing in land it only goes up in value with time. Unit 149 tracts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 25 is the area I have purchased. If you know the area some info would be great before driving out three tomorrow. All I know that it is within mountain range in the foot hills with awesome mountain views.

• Jd
    JD TWODOGS Aug 02, 2014

Let us know AJV. From what little I can tell from reading a dozen comments, this is scrub-land and probably should only be bought as an investment and, if one wishes, land to park a SNOWBIRD r.v. or trailer. Seems some say it is or was a toxic waste dump area and another said was going to be used for a Space Center / Launch Area. Either way, sounds like obtaining land there might be very profitable sometime in the future, should the economy hold on. Thanks.

• En
    EnrSae Aug 14, 2014

I was wondering if anyone lives out in the Cornudas area? How's the property? Any luck drilling a well? If so, how much feet before you reached water? I'm really thinking about purchasing some land out there. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

jazziedegem Aug 29, 2014

I have bought 80 acres of land from Sunset Ranch. I plane to buy more from them. This is not a scam whom ever is saying such bull needs to get a life. I very happy with Sunset Ranches.The first 40 acres I bought I was not happy with and was given to option to pick another or get my money back.

Cowboy1951 Sep 06, 2014

I disagree with a lot of the negative comments here. I originally purchased 200 acres. A short time later I purchased another 60 acres and I have just purchased another 40 acres. I have lived on the property for some time now and I really enjoy everything about my ranch. If I could get more land that adjoins mine, I would buy that too. At the time that I started buying my ranch, there was absolutely no misrepresentation at all. Everyone that I have ever dealt with has been very helpful. Please feel free to stop by the 505 Ranch anytime.

• Bm
    bmccants Oct 08, 2014

I am considering Sunset Ranch but my mortgage connection said the purchase agreement is bogus and not at all formatted the way a purchase agreement and truth-in-lending disclosure should be formatted. Also, with previous sludge dumps and possible Cartel issues to the south, is it worth it if you actually want to live on and work the land?

• Ge
    George Szejner Nov 05, 2014

Just purchased a 20 acres tract near Sierra Blanca. Hello to everyone. Do you know if building materials, like wood logs to build a small house, are available in the area and are delivered, say, by Home Depot, to the property?
    Another questions of the many I have are:
    I have a Ford Van 150, not a truck. Is it useful there or has to be a truck?
    Thank you for any reply (570) 276-6063 or [email protected]

Robinadair1951 Nov 29, 2014

We purchased one 20 acre site at Blue Quail 2, then another 20 at Cornudas . Have not been down there yet but are planning to in 2015. The o ne at Cornudas was listed as ready to build, electric available. Closer to El Paso, listed at 50 minutes from Walmart. I'd love to hear from other neighbors who are living at either location to learn what is going on. We have home in Northern PA on 18 acres but would love to relocate down to our Texas land especially for winter. Possibly year round. Looking forward to hearing from ya'll [email protected] All my dealings with Sunset have been positive. We encountered some financial issues due to unemployment of adult sons with families who moved in with us and were dependent upon us for support and Anthony, Jr worked with us and was very patient. He knew we did not want to lose our land but we could not let our sons and their children go with no where to live. Thank God we are past that. I would recommend Sunset Ranches to everyone looking for a warm climate for the winter. I am fairly sure the minerals rights become yours once you have paid off your loan. Happy Trails to everyone.

alex j Harmon Dec 28, 2014

I just purchased site at blue quail ranch 2 and i was just trying to find out more about the area. I have read some of the comments and want to hear someone that live there. You can contact me [email protected]

AlfinasPlace Apr 04, 2015

I just brought 100 acres and people I know in my community also brought lane in Sierra Blanca. I don't understand all the fuss, Land prices are going up everyday, therefore you have a great investment and that by itself should make you happy. Any way I'll be down at the end of the month to see the place, plus my sister lives in El Paso anyway be good to see her.

raineykhandie57 Mar 05, 2018

@AlfinasPlace have you moved there yet. My name is Rainey. I am seriously thinking of buying some land and moving there. lets be friends. [email protected]

• Pu
    pumba86 Jun 02, 2015

I am thinking of purchasing land from Sunset Ranch. Still on the fence about it. I love their prices that they have set. Can anyone with info contact me and let me know how their process went and if it is worth it. Im not looking for a get rich scheme. I just want to own a piece of our beautiful America! Anyone with honest info please contact me at [email protected] thanks!

• Carlton G. Long Jun 02, 2015

The folks at Sunset Ranches are the most honest, hardworking folks you'll ever want to meet. Anyone who claims otherwise is an obvious fraud, especially the original poster. And the "journalist" he quotes from the El Paso Times has been discredited as a modern-day wannabe muckraker time and time again.

• Jh
    Jhoney Yi Jul 11, 2015

My lot was locate about 1 miles at FM 62 & 120 North on Sunset Ranches Gate .
    I do not understand that why this kind scam concerning from lot owners
    If really this land sale was scam, how can sunset ranches owner continuing selling this land with parcel until today?

• Bu
    Buster Puddles Nov 28, 2015

I read the first 2 comments and the first half of the third comment.
    Seemingly, Armando is either a knucklehead, an employee or a very successful drug lord currently building his estate on property purchased from sunset ranches.
    Stephanie sounds to me like she is an employee of sunset ranches when she uses phrases like, "When I do have a chance to visit Texas and see my land, I expect to find rough, mountainous and/or desert land, in a very rural area." Okay, Stephanie. So which is it, "And" or "or"? Is your land on the mountain or on the plain. Very, Very few properties have both and when referring to one of those properties, you would use the word "and" when writing, " ...mountainous and desert land..." She seems to have taken a phrase right out of their advertising.
    As far as Scotty goes, just stay in California. Texas is in no way anything like California and hopefully will never be anything like California.
    My personal experience with Sunset Ranches first was over the phone with a rude guy with a Bostonian accent who seemed bothered by the questions I was asking. Knowing the area having grown up in El Paso, I knew there was a lot of steppe in that area and hard to see the winding dirt road 100 ft ahead of you- in essence, very easy to get lost. He wasn't very helpful when I asked him how I was to find my 20 acre plat and if he or someone from his office could drive me to it. He informed me nobody would be available to help and all of the land out there was clearly marked with road signs and numbered, metal, ranch fence posts. Guess what...there are no signs and absolutely no numbered anything out there.
    To close my comment, I, personally, would love to own land in that area, but when/if I ever do,
    (1) I will have to hire a surveyor to show me exactly where my land is and the extent of it,
    (2) I will have to get used to transporting my water to any dwelling I will have there (the cost of drilling for water is VERY expensive),
    (3)I will have to be prepared to defend my life and property from many illegal alien invaders travelling through these ranchlands and from vandals.

May's Diner down the road is the only food within 30 miles of this area. A trailer converted into a small diner, May's at the time of my visit had a very nice staff of young people and is parked on what appears to be an old rest area off the highway that turns into Montana Ave as you travel towards El Paso. FM1111 is a VERY desolate road. While looking for May's diner, we drove on FM1111 for almost thirty minutes before another vehicle came by. Mobile phone reception is another issue you will have address in that area. driving Eastward from El Paso, once you pass Hueco Tanks on Montana Ave, you are likely to lose the use of your phone... for anything. No GPS, no phone, no internet= no contact with anyone. Not a good predicament if you have any kind of trouble.
    Do your research on the area before you buy. Be bold and call nearby towns to get info on crime, culture, availability of water, maps- anything you can think of that you might need.

AlfinasPlace Dec 16, 2015

I wrote on here back in April 2015, Well been out to see my land in June and I love it in July I was offered another 40 acres adjacent to my original 100 acres so I brought it. I manage to get addresses for all my property. and each of the kids now have an even split of the land. I am still in the process of designing our homes so we can't start building yet. Things are looking great. Mountain or large in back ground you can not ask for anything better. It may not look like much but it's all mines.

• Tl
    TLEM88 Dec 29, 2015

Questions for owners or those who've seen property:
    1. Their website says if you buy and give them 10 days notice, they will take you on a tour? Is this correct because several people have indicated you are on your own?
    2. If I am looking for a place to go camping with my sons & friends a few times a year, would you recommend?
    We live outside Fort Worth and are thinking of driving down Martin Luther King weekend in two weeks to check things out.

TNA11111 Jan 13, 2016

TLEM88 - we have purchased 100 acres in December 2015 and have an appt. Monday, January 18, 2016 @ 9:00 a.m. with our tour guide name Darlene. They gave us her phone number to call and confirm our appt. it was told to us by Annette who called me from their Miami office that once we confirm with our tour guide and we do not cancel prior to 24 hours we will be charge $150.00. We are leaving on Saturday so by Monday morning we shall know if this is legit or not. We have made one payment because we want to make sure that this is legit. My email address is [email protected] if you would like to email me to know the outcome of this trip.

TNA11111 Jan 30, 2016

Okay for everyone that feels this is a scam or whatever you want to call it, my husband and I can actually say "it's not". We spent from Jan. 16 - 19, 2016 there. We had an appt. on January 18, 2016 @ 9:00 a.m. with a lady by the name of Darlene. My husband wanted to get there early and research the property himself just to see when we met our tour guide if we were going to be taken in a different direction. Since we had already had our plats and our GPS Coordinates we arrived in El Paso on Saturday night. We drove back to Sierra Blanca Sunday and started our process of researching. Well to our surprise we didn't quite find our plats we just knew we were in the area very close by. I took pictures of our drive and how our GPS took us to compare for our tour Monday morning. We couldn't wait for Monday to come around just for comparison reasons. Monday morning arrived and we met with Darlene she showed us a map identical to ours the only difference was is that hers had street names on them already. I asked her how do I go about get one like hers and she stated I would have to call the main office to request one and of course they would charge me, I told her it didn't matter because having street names is better on a map than without one. I asked how far was our property from our meeting place which was the Chevron off of 1111 and she stated it was a 30 - 35 minute drive and so off we go. As we were following her she took us the exact same way our GPS took us the only difference is that since we didn't know what street name to turn off of we missed it just by 3 miles or so. Our property is definitely off the grid and we love love love every bit of it. I did mention to her about this website and how some people are stating about this is a scam and she informed she was aware of it and that it was not. She did state of us that you would have to drill for water or have it shipped in the big containers. Depending on where your property lies there is power and some do not have it. I can actually say that we do have internet service where we are at which includes two plateaus which one is roughly about 5500 altitude. Another plus is that you do not have to pull any permits for anything you want to build (woohoo). All neighbors are far away from each other is another plus. We did see antelope and herds of cattle, jack rabbits. There is mule deer from what she stated not much so what is out there they want to populate it if they can. You can hunt on your property also. We are looking at putting one of our campers on this property as we look to build with that being said you must have a portable disposal so that you can dispose of the waste appropriately (dump station).

Rick neely Mar 14, 2016

I bought 20 acres and I love it! I was a chemical weapons specialist for the army ( I tested the ground and it's not contaminated) I have only good to say about my piece of paradise!

Elbert Beam Jul 19, 2017

@Rick neely Thx Rick for that great comment I have thought about buying land also. Now I'm more motivated.

• Mr
    MrHollywod Mar 28, 2016

Wow this is crazy my sis jus purchase a lot and i talk to a guy name matt he sounds fair but ion kno i will jus wait to see if things go right for her

dawidio Mar 31, 2016

I bought 20 acres for 6k cash and have never regretted my decision. Sunset Ranches have been nothing but transparent and honest in the transaction, as well as how much yearly taxes would be. I have not run into any surprises and my land has tripled in value since I got it. It's already broken into sections with street names and I'm waiting for a development to hit so I can sell and/or give it to my son to retire on. I'm 40 years old so I've got plenty of time to wait while only paying around $150 a year for the land - AND I camp on it whenever I want to and enjoy the West Texas night sky. Win all around as far as I'm concerned.

• To
    tongb May 11, 2016

I bought my 20 acres in 2004..I been making my payment of 99 dollars a month since then..I seen my land 3 times. .and the nice soft brown earth is great. .I trust sunset ranches. .and when I finally pay off my land..I expect them to send me a deed that is legal..I am proud to own a piece of Texas. .sunset ranches better not be crooks!

• Ny
    Nylevet Jul 16, 2016

Is the owner the only person that can hunt on the property?

Debby King Mar 24, 2017

Appreciate you being here where everyone has a chance to say what's on their mind and others can tell the truth without being censored. Thanks πŸ‘πŸ»

Elbert Beam Jul 19, 2017

I live in odessa tx and I love it here. I thought about buying the 20 acres just to get a container put on a concrete pad to store my stuff in when I go to the Philippines. I am really curious about the land too. I have read all of the comments. Now I'm thinking about more than ever thx for those that have bought the land and they have good reviews

TNA11111 Dec 10, 2017

Well here we are again taking a trip out to see our 100 acres in 2 weeks and start fencing it off in 9 days. The last time we were out there was January 2016 so we don't know what or if changes have been made to the roads. I will post another update either during our stay there or afterwards. Just state again this is not a "Scam" for the one's who either have heard or read.

Robert Vernon May 28, 2018

@TNA11111 I would like to make contact with you as I am a newbie and will arrive this July 2018 for my walkthrough and confirm boundary markers and begin to build my homestead. Please contact me at [email protected]
    and chat. Thanks Dr. Robert Vernon

texassand May 24, 2019

its not a scam. its dessert. if you don't know what a dessert is, or never have been to one- i could see how you may be ...dissapointed? . its too much to explain, i suggest discovery channel? encyclopedias? or go stay in one a while.
    its a reasonable low price, for desolate area. and certainly not the most desolate out there. they advertise game for hunting. while this is true, desert animals range is massive, so its not like its going to be packed full...i think if you want off grid peace, go for it. but research what a desert is. how to live in one. and the cost of water, and solar if you want that fancy stuff.

ScJax2019 Jul 20, 2019

I have no complaints about my tract of land, but then again I lived in the desert before and knew what I was getting into when I started purchasing the piece of property. Only complaint I have, and it isn't really a great big issue, just an annoyance, is that it is very hard to get an accurate GPS location on your property corners because the numbers on the plat map do not seem to correspond to anything.