Complaints & Reviews

richmond american homes

Our home sits on a spring that your company, Richmond America built in 2003 in Sterling Hills located at...

poor and dangerous craftsmanship performed in kitchen

My husband and I bought our Richmond home in 2013, in the Banning Lewis Ranch community, in Colorado Spring...

false promises

Richmond American promised to build a home for us in 6 months after they received our deposit. They are still...

windows disconnected from frame and leaking, multiple faulty plugs, bad inside framing

Our home was built as a ready to move in home. We purchased the home in 2014. The home is so cheaply built...

new home

First off the sales guy acted like a used car salesman for about 75% of the time we interacted with him...

zoned air conditioning failure

We purchased our house in 2014, and I had to call Richmond out a dozen times to look at our AC unit. They...

Faulty Window

Our double paned window has condensation in it. When I called the company they said it was out of warranty and they wouldn't stand behind it. Even so, the rep stated, it was man made and they don't warranty man made items. She said they couldn't guarantee that our house would be waterproof. I was astounded! I asked her if she was saying that they wouldn't guarantee our house to be waterproof, because I thought I'd heard wrong. She said it was man made and they wouldn't, and couldn't, guarantee man made items. I was shocked! I asked her did she not expect me to live in the house and that the windows, etc. should last and she said it wasn't their problem. We were free to contact the sub contractor but they wouldn't help us. What a way to run a company. She wouldn't even consider checking into it. I suspect they just say no to everything and hope home owners will go away. Will I ever buy another American Richmond home? Never! And I suggest that no one else does either. Unless they want a man made disaster that the company won't stand behind. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the house not being covered because it's "man made"! Completely nuts!!! BTW, if it isn't man made how do you get a house? Grow one?!!

Lied To me

Bought my first new home in Loretto Bay, Bella Lago, Henderson, Nevada. I have occupied my home for 3 1/2 months & the problems continue. Nightmare!!

found out after buying my new home that, all my neighbors had landscaping included with the purchase. Now I find out, that on the new street under construction this is also included. I will be fined monthly for not doing mine! I'm a cancer pt & I am upside down in medical bills & was astonished that my home is 1 of 4 Not offered this. Then I find out that the neighborhood, which is new, will not be finished due to "low sales!" I only bought here because I assumed my son would have some neighbors with kids to play with. Now, my neighborhood is half desert & I'm paying HOA fees to keep up the grounds that dont exist

There are approximately 24 homes in the community built by Richmond American & approximately 140 dirt lots. If I would have known there was a possibility of them not completing the neighborhood, I never would have purchased this house.

I have had so many builder & "design center" issues that I have missed multiple days of work waiting for the(8-12 & 12-5) workers to come see, estimate & replace items, that I could have made a mortgage payment.

I'm so unhappy & upset that I struggled through my illness to be able to purchase this home for my son & myself, only to find that I was cheated out of my yard, out of neighbors & out of a community.

Don't buy

We have a Richmond American Home built from November 2006. It is 3yr 3mo old and Richmond American (RAH) couldn't care less about customer service. We have a tall kitchen cabinet that holds our oven and microwave that is pulling away from the wall. Because the cabinet is pulling away from the wall it's also pulling our granite countertops with it.

A representative from RAH came today to look at the cabinets and said "oh, it's a manufacturer defect - you'll have to contact Aristokraft to fix that". I just called Aristokraft and the lady in customer service told me I had to go through the authorized dealer to submit a claim. Am I stupid or what - isn't RAH the authorized dealer? I swear - I will never by another home from them. Once you sign the title - you never see them again!

Do Not Build with them

We regret building with RAH. This company supplies each house with the CHEAPEST of everything. The garage doors, all fixtures, electrical sockets are RARE, personal requests to change something because you realize how crappy their stuff is creates a HUGE problem. Everything is a NO!...then they try to sweet talk you to accept it and be happy. Everything that comes STANDARD is SO CHEAP. We cant even find the crap they supplied anywhere...its SO cheap. We have a huge garage with only 1 electrical outlet. They left the wires to the garage doors hanging out. Its just frustrating to see that RAH does not want to be known for quality as a standard!
We bought for the floor plan but now have TONS of work to do to make our house feel like it has some quality.

Leaky ceiling and poorly installed front door

We had the problem with the upstairs hall bathroom that leaked into the dinning room.

We contacted Richmond American Homes, they sent out a representative and he informed me that the overflow drain was turned the wrong way. They repaired the ceiling. However as time went on it continued to leak into the dinning room. We had the ceiling removed in that section and a plummer informed us that the drain pipe was improperly installed.

The front door also leaked into the foyer and eventually the door fell apart. Richmond did not make the repairs.

They are the worst

The WORST home I had ever had built. We had problems with plumbing, wiring, landscaping, flooring, etc. We have lived in this new house for three months...and still continue to have problems...yet Richmond does not care...once they close on your house and get their money...they could care a less about what happens. Don't get me started on their customer service either...oh and their mortgage company tries to swindle you into using their services by threatening to stop building your home...don’t fall for it...better yet don't buy Richmond...You just might end up regretting it like I do.

• Jc
    JCLM Jun 28, 2010

I totally agree with you. This Builder has shown us repeatedly that they have no ethics and conscience about taking advantage of the home buyer. My brother' s home is not yet 4 years old. It was over 4500 sq ft with a hefty price tag but no matter how much you paid for your home, this builder continues to rob you. From the sub-prime building materials they use, we had the sump dump croak out after the two year warranty mark and the AC unit with missing components working overload and breaking down after 3 years, to the unskilled laborers they hire to put up flawed drywalls and a leaking roof, to the outrageous price tags for options/upgrades you almost are forced to buy because their standard materials are soo poor. Unfortunately, we bought at the wrong time, in 2005, at the height of the housing bubble and we are now just regretting our choice of buying from RA. Please before you invest in a home that will take half your life paying off, make sure they are not liars, cheaters, and robbers like these guys. We will let everyone we know, what scammers they are and will never buy another RA home again.

Rip off!

I just want to forewarn any contractors considering working for Richmond American Homes. They play games with...

No refund of deposit!

Letter to Attorney General:

As a consumer from your state, I felt it was my responsibility to bring to your attention the following incident.

15 days ago we put $4000 down on a deposit for a home to built.

due to circumstances my husband lost his job, therefore we did not qualify for a RHM loan, The permit has only just been requested, and they have not even broke ground.In the contract it states that if you get loan denial within 30 days, you will receive a refund. Well they are not giving us back our money, no-one will return our calls, we are at a total dead end, i have become ill because of this, i also have 2 small children, we really need the money refunded to us, there quick to take your deposit but never to give it us back..can someone help us..please, all we want is our money back!

As a resolution, I would like the following:

We want a full refund, we gave them everything they need including letter of denial, even Richmond Home Mortgage told us they will refund our money. All we are getting is a [email protected]

Please contact me if you need more details regarding this incident.

• Di
    Diann Lloyd May 13, 2008

I would like more information anyone who has on richmond, I am buying a speck home and not very happy the way things are going with them.it has been a very unpleasent expierence for From arizona your input would be a great help to me.

• Dl
    DL Jul 09, 2008

We gave a $500 deposit to Richmond American Homes to start the qualification process on a Spec home they were trying to sale. We really wanted the home, but after having 3 different mortgage brokers through Richmond American try to qualify us we proved to be unqualified. I received a certified letter from them telling me that I didn't follow the purchase contract and therefore wouldn't get my $500 back (even though the contract states I will if I didn't qualify). Both the Sales rep and the Sales Manager of the Utah office have yet to return my call in response to this nasty deed.

• Vo
    VoxUnite Feb 11, 2009

I also did not qualify with their lender and canceled the contract 2 weeks ago, now they tell me it takes up to 4 weeks to get the money back, and that is with some charges, even then is not a full refund

WHAT TO DO

you can file a COMPLAINT with:

* The better business bureau, BBB
    * federal trade commission
    * your state board of consumer affairs

I will complain!!!

• St
    Steve Moore John Carter Oct 17, 2009

Beware of RAH. They not only treat the buyers unfair but the contractors and employees as well. Divisional Presidents will knowingly cover up or hide shotty, poor, or even defective workmanship and problems.Too get action call the Denver corporate office. The head guys are David Mandrich and Larry Miezel. Their first initial with the last name @MDCholdings.com. call and bug them dirrectly and your calls will magically be returned. The higher you go the faster you will be responded to and persistance does pay off

• Rr
    RRivetto Sep 06, 2011

My husband and I had a similar experience. We wrote out a contract the end of May 2011 and gave a $2, 000 deposit. A day later we found out that my husband's salary was possibly going to be cut and so we cancelled the next day. The realtor we dealt with promised my husband multiple times that the worst case scenario is that we would lose $250. That was over 2 months ago. Every time we contact the realtor he tells us that his supervisor needs to sign off on the cancellation. He tells us to just keep checking in on the status. The realtor I dealt with was manipulative and is a liar. We have yet to get this matter resolved.

• Un
    UNHAPPY HOUSE BUYER May 11, 2012

I was recently in the market to purchase a new home and contacted Richmond American Homes and spoke to elizabeth in sales. I gave her the details of what I was looking to purchase, i.e. price range, square feet, immediate time frame, etc. and she promised me numerous times that there was a home that would work for me and that she would email me pictures of the houses available and have the manager of the sub-division send me a packet with all of the information I needed in addition to having the manager call me. Nothing ever happened as she just kept making empty promises and I never received any information. Meanwhile, I decided to purchase a house from another builder and as such sent an email to tonia at Richmond American Homes stating that I chose another builder due to the none responsive behavior of elizabeth. tonia then replied with a curt lame excuse email which I found both rude and unprofessional. Can you imagine if they treated me this way before the sale how I would be treated after they had my money? BUYERS BEWARE OF RICHMOND AMERICAN HOMES.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices