Mate1.commate1.com online dating fraud

G Review updated:

Mate1.com is the worst kind of fraud. I am a single guy, I own two international businesses and I am a savvy web professionals. I have tried several online dating services and Mate1.com is the most blatant dating fraud I've come across. The MINUTE I registered, I received emails from two attractive young women, stating: "I would like to correspond with you. Please check out my profile and let me know if you are interested." The interesting thing is I hadn't even filled out my profile or added a photo at that time, so they could hardly have been able to say they liked it.

I found this suspicious and did some research online. I discovered scores of detailed complaints and scam alerts. Mate1 apparently hires "online ambassadors" to write to new members, pretending they want to correspond. They entice you to join up and then -- of course -- you never hear from them again. Luckily, I only did the thee-day trial for $1.95 and then canceled after reading so many complaints online. Of course, right after I canceled my membership, I received another email from an attractive woman in Thailand with EXACTLY the same message: "I would like to correspond with you. Please check out my profile and let me know if you are interested."

Do NOT join this service. It is a rip off and a major scam. I hope Mate1 gets investigated by the authorities for fraud. And Fling.com is almost as bad. Many of the profiles on that site are fake.

If you want to try a good online dating service, use Match.com or OkCupid.com. Match is a pay service featuring real profiles; Cupid is free and great fun.

George
Tucson, AZ

• Ra
    Rancher514 Jun 20, 2019

Class action law suit? Anyone interested? Perhaps we can put these [censored]s out of business? How do get it started?

• Sc
    sciborghm Apr 01, 2018

Site appears to be a 100% SCAM, run by garden-variety spammers/online criminals. In addition to all of the details mentioned above about fraudulent means used to attract customers (fake profiles/obviously fake messages, etc), they are also shameless/blatant spammers: within a day of registering a new domain name, they registered an account with the EMail address of the domain's admin contact & started spamming it - falsely claiming that I had signed up for it. So at BEST, they're buying lists of EMail addresses intended for spamming - or at worst, they're harvesting the addresses themselves. Even in the best-case, they're clearly making no attempt whatsoever to validate to validate signup requests/EMail addresses, which was totally inexcusable in 2008 - let alone in 2018.

Oh, and calling them "criminals" is not hypberbole: by failed to obtain explicit consent from an address owner before sending them commercial advertisements to that address, they are violating this country's federal anti-spam laws. In other words: they are committing a crime, which makes them criminals.

maryh1111 Nov 17, 2017

I here to complain that i don't know what is happen to my account since i open it i don't even have a message or flirt

• Ia
    ian mac m Jan 07, 2017

FRAUD, , , , DIRTY LOW LIFGE SCAMMERS CHARGED MY CARD FOR MONTH WHEN I AGGREED 3 DAY TRIAL FRAUD, , , , , SCAMM, , , , , NOW CALLING POLICE, , , !!

Anne Wolt Nov 27, 2016

Yes @Frank, I completely agree with you. No dating site is genuine. I saw many dating websites and mate1.com is one of them. A lots of new dating sites created by people on daily basis. Day before yesterday I came across new website i.e https://sugar.date/ but it doesn't mean that one can start complaining about sites when they are not ready for online dating or surprises.

Comments

jayden Aug 15, 2016

I have been debited for an amount i know nothing about i want it fixed and reimbursed or legal action will be taken.

• Ni
    nij Aug 15, 2016

I don't know how on earth they got my credit card number, but they've been repeatedly billing me on a monthly basis for about $50 each time. I never signed up for any 'service' of theirs and have no idea who these people are. I ended up having to cancel my credit card account and I will be contesting the charges with the credit card company. Unbelievably, this is the second time this sort of thing has happened to me, but with a totally different card/credit card company. I'm not irresponsible with my cards and they've never been physically out of my hands. What the hell?

james moore Aug 15, 2016

My time on this site was supposed to cancel at 11 o'clock 11/30/08. I mistakenly hit the wrong button, and was re-upped for another month, that I do not want. Please cancel that for me.

• Ri
    Richard J Bekier Aug 15, 2016

Mate1 have taken £23 from my account, and I am NOT getting the service! everytime I go to mate1 it's the same old.It wants me to subscribe! Sort it out please.The money was taken out last Monday! I am one of the people who cant afford this and want my money back! or want the service for another month, it's only fair right?.

Comments

• Wi
    willy2813 Aug 15, 2016

Cancellation membership a.s.p; unable to reach them by phone. They have made and unauthorized withdraw from my visa card. Not sure how they got my card number, ill be changing my account with visa. Something needs to be done about this company praying on single people, thats just wrong.

Cancel membership and return the money you withdraw from my visa card or I will take legal action.
    My email [email protected]

• Ra
    randyvanwyck Aug 15, 2016

I wolud like to cancel my subscription and request a refund of 51.15 I only signed up for 1 month but you still keep charging me

Jamesmn Jun 12, 2016

Gentlemen. The secret is to Get a prepaid credit card at the grocer for 25 dollars or whatever. Then fill up the gas tank with 20 bucks, and then with you 5 remaning dollars sign up for the 1.99 for a few days. If they try charge you for additional billing to bad for them. I think there are real profiles on that site but you have to search for them, 99% of the all the chat requests are prob call center workers lol i dunno.

• Th
    thomasjamesjaycoxjr Feb 14, 2016

site is a hit and miss hard to know profiles in the states become out of country first questions should be current address or you will waste your time

Simon Jones Jan 24, 2016

Sorry forgot to mention her name for you to investigate stacey skyes Sidney montana Canada does she exist because I can't get in touch with her by phone and she's asking me to send money to a Malaysian via western union or money gram

Simon Jones Jan 24, 2016

I wish to know if this person exist been chatting for weeks now but can only email her gave me her phone number and says that she can't expect international calls says she a successful business women but she asking for money to via money gram western union in Malaysia please contact me on this number let me if this is genuine please thanks

• Za
    Zara2511 Jul 14, 2015

A female point of view
    It is so fake. Have spoken with a couple of guys now who have had photos but there messages are so similar.
    Think they are all in an office somewhere with some script that they copy and paste.
    What an insult to my intelligence
    Have had 2 marriage proposals after a couple of hours chat !!!
    If a genuine guy does happen to contact me then I would put him off with my scepticism

• Ww
    www.mate1.com/nw/faq Apr 21, 2015

so how are we going to know mate1 site is scam so that u can teach me better site so that i will search from there

• Da
    DanielT43 Feb 11, 2015

I agree with most of the reports. It seems so many of the really attractive "women" are stranded in some African country, Egypt or Nigeria seem to be the most popular. Almost all of them seem to be nurses, Catholic and either are below $25k or above $100k. I wouldn't have thought I could ever be taken but despite my suspicions I did get hooked for a fairly large sum. I was told "she", this time a doctor was stuck in Egypt because "she" couldn't pay a fee for overstaying her visa. Then "she" was stranded in "Amasterdam" because she had too much money and couldn't go through "customs" When I asked for "customs" phoone number she gave me a number in Texas. I thought it strange and called that number, the "customs.". When "customs" answered they were very confused for a moment then fed me a line of BS. Then the "woman" appologized and went through another line of "oh, I'm so sorry, please forgive me" routine. there were so many clues, like "what's your password so I can checked to see if you really cancelled your membership" followed by "why did you change your password". This had? scam written all over it but I fell for it at first. Now, it's "I need money to pay the GVP fee". Another sure sign. Oh well, where's the honesty

• Pe
    penylane Oct 07, 2014

I was charged $49.95 without my knowledge. I am now aware that there is some micro print somewhere that must give an amount that is going to be charged. Very sneaky what they do not sending a receipt and by the time a statement is sent where you can first learn of the charge, to much time has conveniently passed to do anything about. This sight is will steal your money and not think anything of it.

• Pe
    penylane Oct 07, 2014

MATE 1 is a total Fraud and steals your money and the bad thing is they do it in a way so that by the time you get your statement it is to late to do anything about. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD

Sissy dann Sep 15, 2014

My bank account had a deduction of 49.95 I never joined or even heard of this website but I watch my money very carefully I want my account credited the amount they took illegally immediately

• On
    OnlineDatingScam Jul 14, 2014

Mate1 is completely a scam. They advertise as being free for women, and then deny that when you can finally find a phone # to call. When I called, the person I talked with was totally unhelpful & absolutely refused to refund the charge of $39.96 that was made to my credit card without my authorization. They talk about free for women, which my roommate was able to get by signing up with her smart phone. They charged me $1.95 then proceeded to charge me $39.96 without my knowledge. I was told over & over that they clearly indicate what the charge for using the site will be. I compIetely disagree and apparently I am not the only one. I never saw any "real" profiles on this site. Looked like a lot of people looking for hook up, 1 night stands, sex with no strings/no commitment, many scams and so much more. If you are looking to waste money, then this is the place to do so. I might remind them that what goes around comes around. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau.

Marlon Easley Jan 10, 2014

I tried trial offer totally bull crap put two and two together all girls moved to nigeria.Do I look like i fell off a milk truck [censored].I then get billed did not use .I tried numerous times to cancel, We should get together for a class action suit, We are actually funding another country . How freakin american is that .The hell with this site.

• De
    Dear1881 Aug 01, 2013

I was lead by a member on Mate 1 to sign up for this web cam and she told me it was free to join. Can you help me on this. Her name was Jill from Chicago and know her prfile is gone.
    Matt

• Ge
    Geoff Azoulay Jul 24, 2013

A GREAT WAY OF CHECKING IF THESE GIRLS ARE SCAMMING MOST OF THEIR PHOTOS CAN BE PICKED UP FROM GOOGLE. PICTURES.COM, YOU CANT DO IT FROM A MOBILE, BUUR YOU CAN ON A COMPUTER, CLICK ON THE LITTLE CAMERA ON GOOGLE PICTURES AND UPLOAD YOUR PICTURE AND IN THE MAIN YOULL SEE HOW MANY TIMES THAT PICTURE HAS BEEN USED IN A SCAM ... GRET SERVICE

if SHE LOOKS TOO GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR ASKING WHY SHE HAS PICKED YOU, ITS BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO FLEECE YOU, LOOK UP SCAM FROM GHANA ETC

• Ge
    Geoff Azoulay Jul 24, 2013

I have now been on Mate1 for three days and have been contacted by almost 50 women, strangely im 53 and they were nearly exactly 32/33 years old, nurses, and anything that seems to care for children.
    they have nearly all lost their dad, they all tell you there looking for love and honesty,

THERE IS NOTHING HONEST ABOUT ANY OF THEM ... THEY ARE NEARLY ( PROBABLY ALL ) SCAMMERS

THEY WILL WANT TO MARRY YOU TOMORROW AND GET A VISA TO DO IT ... PLEASE SEND 200 DOLLARS OR POUNDS ETC ETC PLAY ALONG BY ALL MEANS BUT DONT SAY YOU HAVENT BEEN WARNED.
    wHY DOESNT THE GOVERNMENT BAN THIS LOT

• To
    tom aigbuza Nov 26, 2012

i cannot view my profile for 1 month i want my accunt crideted and i want my accony or i wii cancelled my if not fix

• To
    tom aigbuza Nov 26, 2012

i cannot view my profile for abount 1month i want my account crideted or fix my problem

• Re
    Realistic in San Diego Nov 23, 2012

I registered on Mate1 18 mos. ago and connected with several real, and very attractive women. In one instance with a woman in Prague, Czech Republic, which went on to include so detailed a correspondence that it dispelled any doubt that i was writing to a very nice woman. I lived in Europe galf my life and know very well that she was real. A trained economist, no less. She was not only 100% real, but also a very decent person. We did not carry it further due to the large geographic distance. I then let my subscription expire for a year. A couple of weeks ago I reinstated and already have ongoing conversations with several real women including here in my home town on So. California.

There is no question in my mind that there are plenty of real profiles on Mate1. People should understand that there are plenty of people around who are perfectly attractive and eligible, but who are just not that good at spontaneously connecting with potential mates in their own community.

Having said that, there is also no question but that Mate1 has gone downhill since two years ago. I called and spoke to management in Quebec last week and I understood what was happening better thereafter. These days anyone can log in from West Africa or any place and by using a peer to peer virtual server they can mask their IP address to look like it was generated here in the US or any other location they wish. That leaves Maye1 helpless in screening out subscribers based on IP location.

Therfore what readers here should understand is that Mate1 actually aggressively weeds out and expels scammy profiles. All you have to do is contact Mate1 and explain the profile is fake and they get shut down. Service is excellent and fast. The POINT of this observation is the insight that it's not Mate1 that is scammy - it is that their pages have been infested with scammers which are very difficult for them to screen! When you report someone they take very prompt and harsh action.

Scammers are very bad for Mate1's business - but think about it - how can they suppress them? After a bit of experience I realized it really is not that difficult to spot scammers and time wasters. All you have to do is go through your inbox and use your common sense. For example, 95% or more of all the scam mail I've screened is written in easy to spot pidgin English. Every western industrialised nation citizen has enough education to write at least roughly grammatical English. Even people who are high school dropouts write in a form of English which reveals by it's syntax that they were raised in these developed countries.

The scammers ALL write in broken, patched together, visibly "canned" English. You can spot the West African or Russian or Malaysian scammer mails from a mile away. So in summary, my assessment of Mate1 is that they are a good outfit with a decent website, but they are suffering from an infestation just as though it were fleas. I sent them a mail suggesting that once a year they should just go through the database and firehose the fleas out of the place.

It should not be difficult to write a couple of algorithms that cull 75% or more of all the fake profiles. Seriously - all the scammers communicate with the same strange English. If you remain just a tiny bit alert you can absolutely find many hundreds of women there who are potential friends or mates.

Regarding the OA's or Online Ambassadors - I'm chatting with three at the moment and from the pace of communication with me, and a very careful scrutiny of their English there is no doubt in my mind that these OA's are not only real but they are chatting with me far beyond the call of duty (think about it - if your job is to chat with a "quota" of members weekly yet you are chatting with them nonstop - that woman is chatting with you because she likes you! It rakes a bit of experience there to get these insights naurally.

Some here suggest the OA's spend all that chatting time just to 'chat up' paying subscribers. In my considered opinion, they do their quota but extended conversations with the OA's evidence that's not incariably the case. it matters a lot also, whether YOU have posted a profile which attracts and engages women's attention. Have any of the critics here factored that into their conclusions?

So I think Mate1 is getting some unfair and harsh reviews here. The website was quite good two years ago. But they have an urgent need to figure out some algorithm driven way to sweep through their millions of subscribers and just clump together all the fake profiles and expel them. Based on two years of on and off use of this website I think this is really the only thing they need to do to clean it up.

I have a date here in my home town with a very nice professional woman with a postgraduate education. She's just shy about meeting men, that's all.

OK so this post was just to testify from a long time male participant that Mate1 is getting a harsh verdict here. I am not particularly concerned for my own safety there - I don't respond to all the spam solicitations - but I have well over two thousand mails in my in-box and am in contact with plenty of real women there.

Hope this input can go some way towards creating a more balanced perception.

• Go
    got2go46 Oct 11, 2012

I totally agree with the opinion that this is a scam site. After only a month on this site, I met over 20 women from Ghana or other places outside of the U.S. Many women tried to say they were citizens of the U.S. but after only a few questions, I could quickly tell they had no clue as to our language or the city they claimed to live in. I would not advise anyone to fall for this scam site.

becareful674 Sep 30, 2012

I see now that they do not charge women at all. I watched many of these scammers just change names and show up in my face, again. They should charge a small fee for women if they want to regain a semblance of credibility. When I paid for this from my bank, I got a call, they wondered if someone had accessed my account. That surprised me based on my previous experience. A couple of things, you can tell that they are working girls if the age range is bizarre, for instance it is often 30-90. If they put their email in the profile that is a sign. They do not have to pay, and so, it is not like they are trying to avoid paying by putting their email there. Again, I could not find one person who was in the country, not one. This is just horrible. ( I will remain on here to respond to what are clearly people who troll this in support of this scam site and post the names of the blocked people and other data if necessary. )

becareful674 Sep 30, 2012

OK, I am about to finish my month on Mate1. The negative comments continue to be true. Let me say that I signed on to this five years ago, and it was NOT like this. I did meet people. NOW, it is ONLY a den of porn stars, and marriage scams. I found only person that was where they said they were, and most were in Ghana, nigeria or malaysia. If you take one line of the write up and put it into google, you find that very often that same line is associated with many pics on different sites. I blocked 40 people who directed you to porn sites or were clear romance scams. After canceling, I did spend the last few days to see if I could find a real person. Just anyone, even less than desirable. I could not find more than two in a month, one was in Ghana and the other was in Malaysia. They seem nice, although you never know. Again, five years ago, this was a neat site, now it is just horrible. It should be shut down, it is a scam.

sajid67 Jul 02, 2012

hi sayjid talati way you tak mane to mach from may bank lit qnu

• Da
    dan bording Feb 28, 2012

mate 1 accessed my bank account and took 49.99$ for subscription renewal i never ok'ed this ### i canceled my subscription the same day 2-28-12 NOW I WANT MY MONEY RETURNED TO MY ACCOUNT! Any help with this action will be greatly apprishiated thank you Daniel Bording [email protected] my phone number715-553-1512

Beoglande Jan 11, 2012

This is the worst of dating website, after 3 days Trial Membership $1.95, they will charge $49.95 / month ( 30 days ) continually without notice, they take money from your credit card without your authorization, it is a great trap.

• Jb
    jbissac123 Dec 20, 2011

this is to mate 1 i want to cancel my services with you i am not getting any responses that is getting me any were i am looking for a serious relationship with a good woman they are not responding in what i am looking for so just take me out.

• Jb
    jbissac123 Dec 20, 2011

i am not getting any were either i am canceling my services too thanks for the information it is a bad service i will never do this again.

• Mate1 Support Dec 06, 2011

We're sorry to hear about any disagreements or issues with our services. Mate1.com is committed to finding a solution for its members and offers some of the best Customer Support available in the online dating industry, including 7-day-a-week toll-free phone support [protected], or [protected] if you are outside North America), round-the-clock email support – [email protected], as well as a live chat support feature available during normal business hours. Many similar sites offer only limited support options, some lacking even a phone number to get in touch with their staff. We’re even open for most holidays, and we post specific holiday hours directly on our Contact Us page when we’re not.

Please get in touch with our Customer Support team regarding any issues you are experiencing, or any technical difficulties you have encountered and we'll be happy to try and resolve them with you. That's what we're here for!
    For your convenience, here is a direct link to our site’s Help/Contact Us page, which contains most of our contact options.

For additional options, please access our Help/Contact Us page from within your account itself after logging in, which you can do from this link:

• Pa
    paul donner Apr 17, 2011

i went online to sigh in and my email address is already being used . what a bunch of bull____. Goodluck A____.See you dont want to be you!

• Ba
    BASIC111 Dec 22, 2010

MY ORDER WAS CANCELLED LAST MONTH STILL BEING CHARGED UNABLE TO GET A HOLD OF THEM BY PHONE OR INTERNET [email protected]