Complaints & Reviews

bad customer service

I was booked an appointment with Sara. She was really rude on the phone and was talking to someone else while...

I worked there!

I worked at Massage Envy at the front desk for 6 months, and I can say that Massage Envy is a horrible place - at least at my location. The owner was a complete and total ### and while there were quite a few great therapists, there were some that clearly hated their job, which really reflected in the quality of their massages (I know this since the clients would bring it up to me and the other receptionists after their session).

As a "receptionist/sales associate" I was pushed and pushed and pushed to sell memberships. It didn't matter what it took or what I was comfortable with. This was my first (and only) sales job and sometimes I would come home crying because the owner and managers made me do whatever it took to get people to sign up. They even made me change my hair. I was only 19 at the time and they wanted to make me "look older" so people would take me more seriously. Are you kidding me? Give me a break, it's a crappy massage chain. When I sold a membership I was praised like a puppy. I hated it. I also had to listen to a lot of the therapists talk crap about their clients after they left or while they were dressing or undressing. They would say mean things about the way they looked, mostly. I feel so bad for anybody who has a membership there. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere where they care about YOU and your well being.

• Bs
    BSI530 Nov 16, 2010

If you would like a great massage from therapist that truly LOVE their work and the owners treat ALL the employees with respect and true appreciation try Massage Heights. They are a great franchise that is consistent from location to location. Their spa like atmosphere and upscale linens and tables made me feel like I was in a 5 star resort.

Totally agree Dec 07, 2010

my ex girlfriend works at the altamonte springs location and said the same issues go on regularly with every client. Its a scam to get you frustrated in trying to cancel or get refund. No one will call you back ever. They say they cannot cancel when they can. They tell you they cancel then dont. Its the wait you out game so you will give up. They are franchised but sounds like a corporate game to me. She gave me so many stories especially one where the womans son died and they still did not refund the money. Its hard sell on contracts and they will tell you its easy to cancel but if you dont after 3 days you never will have any luck. they work on commision and they will be fired if they do no thit 15% attach rate. they get 850 and hour plus a tier bonus for 15% and so on according to their memberships. thats why its hard to get out once you sign it. thats why you dont get all the info up front. thats why you shouldnt give your credit card number as you will never be able to get out of the contract. if you move somewhere where there isnt a massage envy within a 25 mile radius you can opt out. and rates arent honored in other areas of the country of what you signed up in. plus if you miss your appointment and dont cancel youre charged. again your credit card will be charged.

• Ll
    lluca Feb 23, 2012

I am so sick and tired, and i mean sick now with dealing with massage envy of commack. I believe they added to my angina attack. I never had heart problems until i took up with this despicable company. They still have over 500.00 from me and after over 90 days i still can't get it back. They didn't cancel me when i canceled, didn't stop using my credit card unit i closed it out and reopened another, i called the dispute section of my credit card to help get some money back which they did. How does a company still stay in business like this. The therapist are fine and no complaints about them. its the owner, district agent, keeps on telling me she sent the money to my old account turn out she lied about that the number were to my debit account to another bank. They never received anything either. I've been lied too, cheated out of my time and money and my credit cards were used when there were told not too. What do i do now. How do i get my money back. How do i stop stressing over this before it kills me.

treat employees like work horses

These people have no idea what they are doing!!! The employees are paid and treated like work slaves.

expired massages

I signed up for an agreement with Massage Envy. The contract was for 12 months. Each month that I was a...

use of credit card and denial of services

You cannot get an appointment unles you give your credit card information. Then if you cannot make the time, you are charged. If you buy a "membership" you may be told it expired "2 days ago" and you have no more access UNLESS you buy another "membership." What a rip off!

• Po
    pobarjenkins Oct 06, 2010

Of course you get charged if you miss the appointment and don't let them know far in advance. Someone still has to set aside time to be there in case their appointment shows up.

I have heard negative things about their memberships though.

bad therapists

I have been a member at Massage Envy for two years and always thought it was "ok", but just that! But the last time I went in they booked me with a he/she names Jennifer, she looked scary but I got past that. What really got me was she LEFT THE ROOM twice for about 10 minutes and told me my body was downloading the moves!!! When I complained to the front desk they said she did "Bowen" therapy WT[censored] It's getting way to bad there, they hire anyone, I don’t know if their even certified. I am canceling and will put the money out for a REAL CMT!!!

lack of proper information provided

I was told my the person at the desk that I could not be serviced because my card was not up to date.I then said thast I didn't want to do business with them any more even though I had 11 massages back logged . I said that I wanted to get the one that was scheduled, (they called the day before to confirm) and they said no. I told them that I wanted to stop doing business with them and they said OK.That was on the 25th of July and today the 15 of September I see that they are taking money out of the samt account that they said I coulld not get credit from. Also they want to take all back payments from me all at once.They never told me I had to d=sign a cancell statement when I said that I didn, t want their servicies any mory. I contacted them today and signed the cancellation and was informed that they would still take 1 more month .

• Hg
    H.G.V.L Sep 28, 2010

Gosh, that is awful. My mum suffered something simular with Sky, she asked her husband to cancel and instead they got her another offer so now she had sky for another twelve months before she can cancel it. I mean, why can't a cancel mean an instant cancel? What is wrong with the world. Obviously cancel dosn't have the same meaning as it does in the dictionary.

• Th
    thatsenough Sep 30, 2010

Ok..enough with the Massage Envy Bashing...it is a member based program, Although they are all individually owned and some clinics may not do everything properly that does not mean all Massage Envy's are bad..you need to take up your issue with the clinic you are having the problem with and stop trashing the entire Massage Envy Brand.
    Word of advice. READ YOUR AGREEMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE YOU SIGN regardless of what the sales person says..READ!

As for the women who was not allowed to use her member massage because her credit card info was not up to date..That is because if you fail to give them corrected or updated info and the clinic can't process your monthly dues, your account goes into default/suspension, that means all your member privileges are "suspended" hence the word suspension. Once you bring your account up to date your good to go.

Massage Envy, as a whole, is a very good and well run Franchise organization and prides itself in offering a quality service at a price "everyone" can afford as a result of their member based business model. Remember, before Massage Envy you would have been paying or still pay $90-$100 for a session anywhere else and would still run into the same occasional customer service issues.

You need to address each issue with the "individual" business that has caused you problems and not generalize about an entire Franchise.

Wishing You All The Best
    Pete Befano
    Clinic Administrator
    Massage Envy
    Rockaway/Morris Plains, NJ

• Th
    thatsenough Sep 30, 2010

Just a follow up..you can cancel within the term of your aggreement for medical conditions with a note from the doctor or hospital and you can cancel with a 30 day written notice after the intial term of your contract is up..it's all in the agreement you signed..I hope your mother is doing well.

you get what you pay for

One should always pause to reflect on the value of signing up for a year long program because once you sign on the dotted line your locked in. I just had my third session at Massage Envy and I have yet again left disappointed. This time my 50 minute session was cut to 35 and the attendant Blake had BO. Granted they gave me a 30 minute freebie but I have found the overall quality of the therapist to be a bit disappointing. They definitely stick to the time alloted or like today shorten it, but what ends up happening is they skip parts of the body or quickly brush over it to make you think it's been worked on. You might save money signing up for the year long program but it comes at the cost of quality. Instead skip every other month and put the extra money toward a credible experience. Think of this place as the Fast Food of massage therapy. You get what you pay for.

• Op
    optimist101 Nov 03, 2010

Funny thing when you show up late for your doctors appointment more than 15 minutes late you have to reschedule. If you were late for your appointment you will only get the remaining time. When booking your appointment ask for their lead or co lead therapist chances are you will have a much better experience.

billing

I have been a member for about 2 years and I was going to my scheduled appointment on July25, 2010 and when I...

poor service/poor customer service

Went to Massage Envy on recommendation of co-worker for the Breast Cancer special $49 massage. Told them I only wanted LIGHT SWEDISH MASSAGE and that I specifically did not want to be in pain the next day. Massuese assured me that would be the case. The moment I got up off the table, I was in pain. I called the manager, Dawn, the next day and made my complaint. Not their problem -- I must be "sensitive" to pain, or I was no hydrated enought, or I had too many toxins in my body, etc. etc. etc. They offered to have me come back and have another massuese work on me -- I told them I wouldn't come back -- were they crazy? Dawn just kept repeating it was my fault. Don't bother with these people -- they are insensitive and don't care about their customers. Also, their prices are outrageous! They tried their high pressure sales pitch on me, but I just refused to answer their questions and they finally left me alone for about 15 minutes before my massage -- I left them very frustrated. 5 different individuals came to try to sell me a membership, I just ignored them all. Best thing to do in a high sales pitch situation -- just ignore them, don't make eye contact, don't respond. They finally give up.

Sally Jesse Aug 15, 2011

I have been a member of this clinic for 2 years and I get the $150 experience for $49 and any additional visits for $39 the therapists are highly trained and I am always warmly greeted. A membership agreement must be honored I had to honor one at Gold's Gym for my ex hisband and kept getting my AMEX charged and didn't fuss because an agreement is an agreement. Our time is just is valuable as there's so if I do not show up for an appt or forget to call it's not right. So what makes it right for these forgetful irresponsible people. Get real life does not evolve around you.

deceptive membership practice

When I joined Massage Envy's service, I was verbally told that the membership lasted one year. During that first year of service, I had a difficult time using all of my appointments. When I went in for an appointment in April 2010, about a month before the service was up, they told me that I had several appointments backed up and that they were about to expire with my contract. I told them that I was going to have to let them expire because I just couldn't justify time in my schedule to place those appointments.

I was just looking at my Discover account through Sept 2010 and found out that they auto-renewed me and have been billing me $49 every month since April. I called them and told them that I had cancelled in April. The customer service representative said they didn't have a cancellation on file. I asked her what she was talking about and let her know that I had a long conversation with one of them in April about not being able to use my appointments and that I was no longer going to be using their service and in that conversation, not once was it mentioned to me that I would need to submit a 30-day written cancellation. If I had known, I would have written and signed one right then and there. The result is that I have been billed $245 since that date and they have no intention of reimbursing me and the 30-day cancellation also obligates me to yet another month of service before it takes effect.

I have not been able to read the contract yet, and I assume that I will find that they do auto-renew you without a written note of cancellation, however, I find it to be very deceptive that their staff avoided any discussion of this policy during a long conversation on the subject. I know that I probably have no legal leg to stand on but I would warn an potential customer that you need to be very aware of what you are signing up for because they seem to act in their own best interest, not their customers.

I know you might argue that I should be checking my credit cards more often and I agree that is valid. I just had it set for electronic statements and auto-payment and just haven't had the opportunity to look at specific transactions lately.

Again, my message is to be aware. From my experience, Massage Envy has a model that is not in the best interest of their customers and where they see a window to lead you into a compromising position, they will.

• 20
    2010ry Sep 23, 2010

Maybe you should read the contract before you sign it. And your saying that you couldn't find 1 hour out of a month to go get a massage. Its just like a gym membership they are not going to reimburse you for the months that you didn't go to the gym.

offerings

Are you kidding me... I was told that I was locked in for a year, thats not my complaint. My complaint i...

fraudent sales pitch

I was told by the staff signing me up that I could cancel membership at any time if I gave them a 30 day written notice. When I got home, I read the tiny fine print which said I could only cancel if I got a written notice from my doctor, and then only after a year!

I sent them written notice, but they are refusing to cancel the membership and threatening me with legal action. They evidently can't keep their business open legitimately and so are trying to make a living via fraud and intimidation.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MASSAGE ENVY! It's a huge SCAM!

• Op
    optimist101 Nov 03, 2010

There is a good lesson to learn here... as I teach my teenager... read before you sign your name. Have you ever tried to cancel any contract early and not been penalized when you agreed by signing to an early termination penalty?

Totally agree Dec 06, 2010

no ethics

I called around noon to make my first appointment. Girl who took the call knew it was my first appointment, because I checked on the introductory rate of $39.95. She gave me a time of 7:30 p.m. but asked me to get there by 7:15 to fill out paperwork.

When I got there at 7:15, I was told they couldn't hold the appointment without a credit card. I told her no one asked for a credit card. She said she called me. When I asked what they were going to do about it, thinking I might have to wait an hour, I was told tomorrow. After driving 15 miles to get there, I was NOT a happy camper and lost it! "Screw you."

When I got home, I found the call. . . at 7:10, ten minutes after I'd left and five minutes before I was to have been there . . . telling me they hadn't kept the appointment open for me without the credit card. They obviously had double booked their time and were more concerned about a credit card than customer service and who might have called first.

As someone who gets a weekly massage--which has helped me deal with quitting smoking and being pre-arthritic--they really offended a likely long-term customer. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

quityercomplainin Nov 16, 2010

maybe a long term customer, but a ###, complaining one they'd be better without.

bad business practice

I received a gift card to Massage Envy for $100, I told over the phone the massage would cost $39 for one...

cancellation policy

I joined the Massage Envy membership plan in 2008. I accumulated several hours of massages over the past two years. I used most of them; however, several of the hours I did not use. I decided to cancel my membership because my husband was being sent overseas and I was joining him for the first six to seven months. I explained this to the receptionist and she stated that because of deployment I could use my pre-paid massages for massages when I returned. I went in to get a massage as soon as I returned and they told me that because I canceled my membership I could not use the massages I PAID for because they canceled them. I am not asking them for a refund but I am only asking for them to allow me to use services I paid for over a two year period. There is no corporate office so there is no one other than the manager that I can speak with concerning this issue. I have left two messages for the owner but he is yet to return my call.

quityercomplainin Nov 16, 2010

there is a corporate office. if you had spent your time looking on the internet for a solution rather than just complaining you would have found that massage envy's corporate office is in phoenix. did you cancel your membership? if so, you and they would have a signed instruction. look at the form. just as you need to sign an agreement to get these discounted services, you have to sign to terminate a contract. if you have a gym membership and don't go for a month or two, they don't give you your money back. your loss.

honor

My complaint with Massage Envy is not their contract but the honor of their service. When I signed up I was told that if I didn't get a massage every month then they would carry over so I was not able to go do to school and work and time so I racked up 13 massages well at the end of my year I decided to cancel the membership and was told by Massage Envy that they WOULD NOT HONOR MASSAGE SESSIONS I'VE PAID FOR AFTER THE DATE WHEN MY MEMBERSHIP END AND WHERE THEY WOULD BE COLLECTING MORE MONEY FROM ME. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT IF I PAID FOR THEM THEY ARE MINE!!! SO I ASKED CAN I GIVE THEM TO FRIENDS AS GIFTS I WAS TOLD NO. WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS IS THIS!!! YOU MEAN YOU WOULD RATHER CRUSH A CUSTOMER WHO COULD GIVE A MASSAGE TO A FRIEND WHO COULD IN TURN BECOME A MEMBER AND YOU SAY NO WOW!!!

YEAH I'M PISSED LIKE I HAVE MONEY TO GIVE AWAY

signed
ANOTHER UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER

ssssssssssssssssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssssssssssss!!!

• Ka
    Karol1218 Oct 15, 2010

They just did the same thing too me! What a rip off!!

• Ni
    Nightlight Nov 17, 2010

They carry over as long as you are a current member, much like you pay a gym a monthly fee. If you terminate your contract, you'd no longer be a current member, therefore you'd be unable to use a gym for their services or the services which expire at the end of the term. There's an entire year to use anything you have accrued while your year's contract is in effect. I believe it should be used as it's intended - a monthly plan. Often I can't get in every month, but there's so many options and hours, I consider it my fault if I don't use it.

poor working conditions

I have been working for ME for over two years now and I'm burnt out! I make $18.75 an hour which is a $1.75 over what most therapist start out at.Doesn't matter the experience, you all start out the same. The way your recieve a raise is rediculous! This might explain to all the customers who are really angry about a crappy massage. As of current the only way you can get a raise is if you fall under four catagories which you recieve a quarter for each. 1) 3 in a row and 6 in a day 2) deep tissue/hot stone 3) Pre-natal 4) 2 hour massage. There are no incentives for a therapist to even give a descent massage!!! All they want is for you to do as many massages as you can in one day! Furthermore they won't even notify us if our customer has complained unless it is a repeated complaint. So, how are we suppose to grow into a good therapist if we don't recieve the complaints???? My manager never has given me a complaint until I complain about working there, I guess she figures that it is good ammo to stop us from complaining; not to mention this is also when she threatens us or gives us a write up. If our hands are hurting and we come in and tell our manager that we cannot do deep tissue that day, we are met with "Well, that is a modality you said you could do, sorry you will just have to limp your way through it." So, then when we try to push through the hurt it ends up giving the client a crappy massage.
We currently have four on our injured list, they want us to attend these so-called sales meetings which when I was hired on they told me that I didn't have to do any of the selling!
We had one therapist who ended up with scabies because after she told the manager that the lady had scabs on her back and ended the massage early, she was told to go back in there and finish the massage. Which costed this therapist two weeks off of work, a new bed, new linens, and numerous trips to the doctor. All of which massage envy refused to pay workmans comp because they said that there was no way it could have been from a massage.
I myself have sprained my wrist numerous times and had to work through the pain because I see what happens when the workmans comp is involved. Currently my doctor is talking about carpal tunnel surgery and I have gone through physical therapy twice for now.
The economy is sooo bad right now that I can not find another place to work otherwise I would. We therapists have no other decent option right now.
Also, I know that most massage envy's will only tell clients that they have one year memberships when in fact they have six month and three month memberships. The one in Wheaton, IL tells people that they only have two year memberships available.
When the therapists band together to complain about something the owners always tell us that it is corperate policy to do something but from talking with other therapist from other locations I have found out that all the rules are governed by the franchise owners. So this is the "owners" way out to stop us from complaining.
So, to all the customers who have had bad massages, I hope this gives you some insight to why you get a bad massage when you go there. Just remember the therapists currently have no place else to go.

quityercomplainin Nov 16, 2010

if you are making $18.75 an hour, plus you're getting $10-15 an hour in tips in this economy you should not be complaining. try walmart. that's where you belong. i know of many massage therapists who have worked there for several years and are good at what they do and actually spend their time helping and healing than complaining on the internet.

• El
    elenaprody Jan 28, 2011

If massage envy wants to hire Massage Therapists as cheap employees, then they have to PAY THE PRICE, which is WORKMAN'S COMP etc. etc. Go to an attorney and sue them.They are responsible for any injuries or conditions you get ON THE JOB!! Perhaps if they have enough LAW SUITS they will change the way they do business, such as makingthe massage therapists independent contractors and have some sort of equitable split with the therapists similar to Real Estate Brokers with their Sales People and High End Salons have with their Hair Stylists. This is ridiculous what they are trying to do. They don't even realize if they hire in experienced therapists and they hurt someone THEY ARE LIABLE. What are they thinking?????

unhealthy work environment

I am a former therapist for massage envy and feel obligated to do something about the unhealthy environment for the clients and the therapists. I worked at the Massage Envy in Folsom on Blue Ravine for about a year and a half and have seen the following...

1)The lobby fountain overflows all the time and when it does it somehow seeps under the wall into the couples room. The owners NEVER dried the carpet, all the rooms stay dark and cold I'm positive there is now mold in the wall and carpet! Every time I had to do a couples massage in that room my chest would get one big rash and break out and I would get a stomach ache.

2)The fleece covers that go on the massage tables got washed ONCE in a year and a half... All you have to do is simply look under the sheet your about to lay on and you will see a brown and black disgusting fleece pad!

3)Face rests are never sanitized.
I feel so bad for the client who have no idea how dirty this place is!!

I will do what ever I have to do to get this changed! It may cost me money in legal battles but I am happy to do it for the health of everyone who goes there!

• Ju
    just a therapist Apr 01, 2011

I would like to say who ever wrote this complaint is prob. An employee who has been fired for poor work ethic. I am an employee at the same massage envy. And yes the fountain has over flowed but it IS dried immediately. The blankets and linen are up to the therapist to change and if you never changed yours then shame on you. And as far as the face cradled not being sanatized well shame on you again. I wipe mine down after EVERY massage with the lysol wipes that are put out for this very reason. There are over 25 therapists who work in the couples room along with hundreds of clients who go in there. And not one person has broke out in a "rash" . Well with that said .. you forgot to mention the excellent service that the loyal therapists provide for their clients. I have an amazing clientele there And I thank massage envy for that. Now just a piece of advice please don't be upset you got fired and take it as a learning experience

false advertising

The Massage Envy Tinley Park location does not honor their own email specials. I spoke to the owner of that location and even forwarded her the email. She refused and said she would charge $10 more for the massage.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices