Menu
Long Island Rail Road [LIRR]
reviews & complaints

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

242 complaints
6 resolved 236 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Long Island Rail Road [LIRR]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
D
11:48 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I would like to voice my concerns about the lirr lack of consideration to their commuters. For the past three weeks, the hunterspoint 7:08 am train has been the short double decker. Mind you, it arrives already packed to a busy platform of commuters. No space on board... We are squizzed in as sardines. I do not comprehend how the lirr would send such trains during rush hour. Ridiculous!!!

Z
10:47 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

From Penn Station to Little Neck last night with my friend. My friend left at Flushing Station, I'm alone on the train. The lady comes over asked me the ticket and where I'm going. I answered you already checked my ticket, I'm going to Little Neck. Then I'm sleepy on my seat, that lady shakes my shoulder wakes me up and asked $12. I asked her am I missed my...

T
10:51 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The pedestrian crosswalk on the street leading to the train tracks is mostly worn off the road and there are no pedestrian crosswalk signs. Cars frequently drive through the crosswalk at a fast speed without yielding to pedestrians. Better signage and re-striping the road would mitigate this hazardous situation. Please do not wait for an accident to take action. Photo attached. Sincerely, Teresa Covello

L
3:24 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

While the train passes through Holbrook at 11:30pm, 1am, 2am, and 3am, there are horn blowing happy conductors that seem to get a kick out of blowing the horn constantly! We understand that you need to do this for safety, however at these hours when people are sleeping, is it really necessary to continuously to do this? 10 times in a row? Its that really...

C
7:32 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm 74 and my husband is 83. We were using the ticket app for the first time. We were on the 12:52 PM out of Penn to Huntington. The conductor asked for out ticket. We showed him our iPhones and their properly activated tickets. We put our phones away. Later he cam by and in a gruff voice asked for the tickets again. We said we should it to you. He yelled...

F
6:43 pm EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - mobile ticketing

Hello, I bought a ticket on the mobile ticketing app and tried to refund it within the two minutes grace period but the app froze and did not let me. I called customer service and no one helped. Now I called again to ask if there is a way to get an extension the expiration of the ticket because I am a monthly ticket buyer so I do not normally use individual tickets. The person I spoke to was no help and decided to end the call cause he couldn't help me out. I don't understand, if I was not able to get a refund because of your app and then you guys aren't able to provide a extension on the use date then what would I do?

M
2:37 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

You need more Ronkonkoma trains eastbound in the afternoon. 420 dollars a month and there is standing room only on every 2 o'clock train. There are 3 Babylon trains for every one Ronkonkoma train up to 3 o'clock in the afternoon. It is ridiculous, especially on friday people are standing not only by the doors but through the entire isle. Not the mention the...

J
12:04 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My boyfriend and I were trying to get on the train heading towards Huntington from Woodside and the attendant had absolutely no information for us regarding the train schedule. The only thing she told us was that she "wasn't sure" if the train was coming or not due to construction work. She was very rude and not helpful at all. I ride the LIRR to work every...

T
8:58 pm EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - purchased wrong ticket

This was my original complaint with the response from Mr. Grapes of the LIRR. I was extremely dissatisfied with the response. Therefore, I kindly request to speak with another individual from the LIRR, preferably a supervisor other than Mr. Grapes in the Public Affairs Dept. I thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.

Robin S. Paterno

I bought the wrong tickets. I went on the Great Neck branch on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019. I am not familiar with the machines as I do not use the LIRR often. I was trying to purchase a roundtrip ticket for me and one for my 11 year old daughter. I didn't know I was supposed to press off peak. I purchased the tickets and realized I paid extra for peak tickets and I was not traveling peak. According to the machine, children age 5-11 are supposed to be free. I was charged for my daughter as well. I tried to explain to the conductors on the train but they told me to contact customer service. I was upset because I had to pay more money for my ticket and I didn't get my daughter's free of charge as I was supposed to. I would like a refund for my daughter's ticket and the difference that I had to pay for my ticket for peak when I travelled off peak. Please rectify this matter as soon as possible. Thank you

Ref: [protected]

You recently contacted us about our service. Below is a summary of your request and our response.
Please do not reply to this email, as it will go to an unattended email box.

Subject: Train ticket refund

Response by Bryan Grapes (10/21/2019 11:12 AM)

Dear Robin Paterno:

I have been asked to respond to you email regarding your recent ticket purchase at the MTA Long Island Rail Road's Great Neck Station.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced, and the added expense you incurred on October 6, 2019. Please note, however, the LIRR is not responsible for tickets purchased in error, nor are we able to provide refunds for the difference in fare after the ticket has been punched/used. Customers are advised to verify their itineraries and ticket prices before starting their trips by checking the MYMTA/TrainTime apps, by consulting our Schedules & Fares page (http://lirr42.mta.info/ ) or by calling the LIRR's Customer Service Center at 511 or [protected] (LIRR).

To clarify our child ticket policy, children under the age of 5 ride free at all times. Up to four children ages 5 - 11 can ride Off-Peak trains for $1 each (you must select the "Family Fare" on LIRR Ticket Vending Machines, or ask for the Family Fare at our staffed Ticket Offices). More information regarding ticket types and prices can be found by linking to the following page, http://web.mta.info/lirr/about/TicketInfo/#daily

The LIRR is a public agency (not a private company), with more than 50% of our revenue provided by state tax subsidies. In addition, the LIRR is subject to audit by state authorities and as such, we must adhere to the policies set in place for us regarding refunds.

I regret that I was unable to provide you with the outcome you were seeking in this instance. The LIRR is committed to providing safe, secure and reliable train service to our customers, and we will continue striving to improve our operation.

Sincerely,
Bryan
LIRR Public Affairs Department

J
4:42 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I need a cane to walk and today coming of the train some people bumped me and I drop my cane and it fell in between the train and the platform so it ended up in the tracks I when down stair hard to walk with out my cane and ask the gentleman there by the name Kevin if my cane could be Recovered he replied to me do you really need it after I made it clear...

S
1:37 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - limited seating on morning rush hour train going west

Since June 2019 a busy Port Jeff line train going west to Hunterspoint Ave has been limited on and off to 3 cars. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern, but at least 2-3 days per week, there are only 3 cars. I board at Greenlawn at 7:26am. The train proceeds to stop at Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor and Syosset before going direct to Hunterspoint. While there are usually seats at my stop, they're often no seats by the time we stop at Cold Spring Harbor. Why would a busy rush hour train have only three cars, except in the rarest of circumstances? thanks for your time.

Stephen Kassan
[protected]@gmail.com

K
2:11 pm EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - waiting room not open

Wantagh Waiting room - most often locked during off peak times. Particularly a problem for people such as myself who travel during off peak times.

Room is almost always locked. They did an excellent job of remodeling but seldom cannot ever be used especially during colder or rainy chilly days like today. you have the Automated /remote controlled locks please unlock the rooms for people who travel at off peak times

B
10:06 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was scheduled for a 10am bus from Penn station. Because of the LIRR Penn station bound train on 10/19 being late. It was suppose to depart at 939am and didn't no leave until 958am. This major LIRR delay because of "track work" caused me to miss my bus that I paid for through the Best Bus. Now I have to try to get on another bus. Which I had to pay more...

R
12:11 am EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - conductor is nasty

Conductor was extremely rude on the 11:51 pm train to Long Beach. Demands to see my monthly ticket rightside up when it was turned sideways. She begins to get very condescending about not holding the ticket in the right orientation and then starts trash talking me to the passengers around me. This is not the first time she's been nasty to me. As someone who has ridden the railroad for 15 years this type of behavior from a conductor is unacceptable.

U
6:21 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Port Jefferson Long Island Railroad Station is not safe. I am a female rider and do not feel safe here. The inside and outside of the train station waiting area is full of homeless people who are drinking in public and some appear in high. The bathrooms are often times dirty with rags of old clothing. The benches are often unusable as they are occupied with...

A
9:47 am EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - delays, app, service

I'm a regular commuter for my job and have had to buy daily tickets recently because of schedule reasons. When buying my ticket today the app would not load (before I got on the train and after) so I had to pay $19 for a one-way ticket. I understand that the rate goes up when you buy on the train, but considering it was due to technical problems on the app, I found it frustrating. In addition, I had to stand in a crammed car and the train arrived fifteen minutes late to Penn, which made me late for work.

I normally don't complain because I understand it is a difficult business to maintain, but I just found paying almost $20 for a late cramped train outrageous. If I'm going to pay that much I'd at least like the service to be reliable. Could I please have a refund for this trip?

[protected]@gmail.com

B
9:24 am EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - lack of signage at jamaica station re: construction on track 8/9

Re: construction at Jamaica Station
Is it possible to notify passengers of the construction on track 8 at Jamaica station by putting signage of some sort or has it never occurred to you that this is a major inconvenience.
This morning I and a bunch of fellow passengers missed our train and had to wait a whole hour for the next one.
Why is it so hard to put a sign telling passengers which way to go?
Come on LIRR. You can do better than that.

S
3:42 pm EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - tickets/conductors

10/14/19 Babylon Branch 9:59am I was taking the train from Penn Station to pick my daughter up from college. On the ride in I witnessed 2 very upsetting incidents. The first was at the Rockville Center stop. A passanger got on, he conductor asked him for a ticket. He said he didn't speak english. After a few minutes of back and forth, the conductor got frustrated and lethim ride all the way without purchasing a ticket. He got off at Massapequa. The second incident invloved what was obviously a homeless man. I could see the conductor ask him for a ticket, then he walked away without seeing a ticket. I heard the passanger say "thank you, thank you!" He rode all the way from Merrick to Babylon. It is so upsetting and makes me angry that I spent $72 dollars to go to the city and back with my daughter on friday and monday. Here I am struggling like most Long Islanders, living paycheck to paycheck. I had to pay the $72 and when I see others ride for free it really aggrivates me. I feel cheated that I spent a lot of money to see my daughter home and others get to pay nothing. I am sorry but I feel this is not right. Thank you for your time in this matter. Steve Gosline [protected]

V
5:20 pm EDT

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] - vaping and liquor on train

My wife was on the 3:24PM from Penn Station to Bayside. The train was jammed with teenagers and older going to the Rolling Loud Hip Hop concert aT CITI FIELD. These kids were Vapping and drinking liquor in plain sight. My wife complained to the conductor who said he couldn't do anything. He refused to do his job to stop liquor and smoking on the train. My wife was subjected to vapor smoke which can be lethal to certain people. These people took over the train and your conductor wouldn't do anything. Totally unacceptable.

L
9:16 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

It is 8:18am on 10/8/19. I am taking the LIRR train to Manhattan from Amityville to Penn Station. The conductor on the train came by didn't allow me to activate my ticket in my seat. She gave me an attitude about not having my ticket activated yet and grabbed my credit card before I could even give it to her and swiped without telling me how much she wa...

Long Island Rail Road [LIRR] contacts