Leon's Furnitureproduct/service

K

My experience with Leons started when we arrived there to look for new living room furniture. As my wife and I walked up to the front doors, an angry man was exiting the store yelling to everybody "don't shop here they will just rip you off". At the time I didn't think much of it, but later I realized that I should have taken his advice.

Long story short, we purchased $3000 worth of furniture from Leons in Winnipeg, 2 couches and a chair with Atman. We thought that we had gotten a great deal as the items were on sale. The saleslady really pushed us towards this particular set, which was fine because we both liked it. We were assured that even though it was on sale it was quality furniture.

About 4 months after the purchase both of the couches started to get tears on the stitching of the cushions. I called Leons and they sent out a technician to have a look. The tech said that the entire set would need to be replaced as a repair would cost too much, and also told us that there had been several problems with this particular set of furniture. Okay, at least the set was under warranty.

So back we went to the Leons store. Of course they set we had purchased was discontinued and they had no stock left as the previous sale had cleared out all stock. So we had to pick out new furniture and of course, nothing that was similar was available for the same price. No problem, we picked out another set and ended up paying the difference of about $500.

This new set got delivered and after about 6 months there was problems with one of the couches. A broken spring which was sticking out the back of the couch. Again down came the tech, and again the couch needed to be replaced. When I called Leons they told me that the couches were on back order and wouldn't be available for about 5 months. They did give us the option of coming down to the store and allow us to pick out a new set of furniture for the inconvenience. The customer service rep that I spoke with was very reassuring and basically told us that Leon's would offer us a discount for all the trouble we had been through, if we were to decide on a more expensive set.

Off we went back to the store. Of course by this time everything was priced way above what we had originally paid, but we thought that for all the trouble, Leons would give us a good deal. The saleslady (same one as always) now told us that the furniture we originally purchased wasn't made for daily use, but was more of a show piece...really? Wish we would have known that before she pushed it on us prior. She also told us that we shouldn't skimp anymore on the furniture insinuating that we were being cheap with our purchase at the beginning. This made me angry but whatever, at this point all I want is a good quality piece of furniture that will last more than 6 months. We focused on one set which was priced about $1000 more than our credit. I asked for a better price which was promised to be by the customer service rep. After about half an hour of standing around waiting, the manager came and offered us $50 off each piece (total $200). I told him that that wasn't good enough and all the time that we had spent on this problem of crap furniture totaled more than $200. But he basically said bluntly, that's all I can offer take it or leave it. We left it as I started thinking that this was a scam that Leons ran to up sale people on furniture whenever there's a problem.

From there I sent an email to the corporate customer service executive detailing the issues. Here is his response below directly from the email he sent me:

"I am in receipt of your email sent to my office and would like to thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Leon’s has been in business for 100 years. We are proud of our record that consistently places us on top of our category year after year, as determined by independent marketing surveys.

A review will be conducted for our Service Office as well as the communication between your Sales Associate and Management at our Winnipeg location.

All products sold through Leons are covered under a manufacturer warranty that allows the them the option to repair or replace any item requiring warranty service.

I have reviewed your concerns with the General Manager of our Winnipeg location, Mark Entwistle and understand that you have had service issues with two separate upholstery sets that have been in your home over the past two years.

I am a little perplexed at your statement “we are feeling that we have been taken”, since the original purchase and its service requirements the store has sent technicians, reviewed

service concerns and responded with what we believe has been fair resolutions.

You had also indicated that you were not pleased with the offering of a discount on the new sofa suite purchase; this would have been authorized by store management as a customer relations gesture, over and above what our liabilities are under the terms and conditions of the warranty on the product.

We apologize for our limitations; however we are comfortable in knowing we have met our legal and moral obligations.

I will be in contact with our General Manager Mr. Entwistle in order to facilitate this newest transaction with the hopes that you will have many years of satisfaction with the new reselected set.

Sincerely,
Bruce Bergeron
National Service Coordinator"

By this time I was determined to to spend another cent at Leons. So I told them I wanted my broken couch replaced. About 3 months later, it was replaced. When it got delivered, it was slightly different in color, and a little bit taller than the old one. So we had a set that didn't match anymore. I was done dealing with Leons, and I didn't have the energy to go through all the red tape anymore, so we gave up and vowed never to shop there again and to tell all of our friends and family to stay away. To date I have been able to steer at least 5 couples away from Leons by telling them our experience.

In the end, we should have listened to the disgruntled man exiting the store the first time we went to Leons...hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Hope this helps someone out there, and possibley saves them some time and money.

• Su
    susan braida May 22, 2014

I have had a horrendous issue with Leons and Bruce Bergeron as well. I purchased a love seat and chair from the store in Laval. The boys in the shipping area placed it in the back of our pickup truck and when I asked them if they were going to tie it down they said it didn't need to be. We explained that we would be travelling on a freeway as well as mountainous roads. They insisted that it would be fine and did not need to be tied down. So we left with our purchases in the back of the truck. Not 15 minutes later the chair flew out of the back of the truck on to the freeway barely missing a car and a young man on a motorcycle. Fortunately no one was injured, or worse, killed. With the help of another motorist we were able to put the now damaged chair back into the truck and secure it as best as possible with bungee cords.
    I called the store who put me through to 'customer service' (what a joke that term is with regard to Leons). I was told that the manager spoke to the boy in shipping who said that he had asked us if we wanted it tied down and we said no. Really??? Who would say no? And that there was nothing that they could do. When I subsequently called the head office and spoke too Bruce Bergeron, he informed me that once the goods have left Leons property it becomes the responsibility of the purchaser and and that the liability would have been mine had anyone been injured or worse. Wow that's customer service. And they have refused to replace the chair. I will never shop at Leons again and will advise as many people as possible not to as well.

• Su
    surinder singh gadra Feb 14, 2012

I have the same feeling about leon custmor service.Leon service manager and sales persons have no public dealing education.As, I purchased a dresser from the store and on delivery time they picked up a different dresser.The salesman went in and checked up the dresser with my name tag still in store..The salesman was taking too long.When i asked to please do it .He says PEOPLE CHANGE THE TAGS.and the service manager also came with same view.So, you have an idea how they deal and treat their customer.