Complaints & Reviews

overcharged on a collect call

I accepted a collect call through legacy inmate communications using my debit card. I know for sure it was less than 3 minutes my debit card was charged $25.86 dated 11/12/2019, I'm hoping the card will credit after a few days, this is the one and only call. Please advise. I have been trying to contact your company since day one Please contact me if you need any information
Sonya Granados
[protected]

inmate phone calls

I requested a refund from two phone number over a month ago. I've waited switched banks and now they refuse to issue a refund check since I am unable to use that card any longer. The bank said they have not received any funds and will not refund it to me and they refuse to give me my money. Every time i call I am placed in hold and then hung up on. I did not receive any calls

• DeAndre Washington Oct 22, 2019

Hi Azure! Don't communicate with people in prisons. They are likely to scam you! I hope this helps.

video visitation

Calling to set up video visitation there is an outrageous waiting time. I waited 31 minutes to talk to someone to schedule a visitation with my boyfriend. No one ever answered my call. This happened today 21 August 2019. At 0900. Then again at 1015. Do the Representatives work certain times or are there problems with the lines. I need to know. Please look into this as it may help some other people out that are trying to get into contact with loved ones in jail. Thank you.

public phone service excessive charges using a public phone at ca park

I needed to call a couple of times a bit more than a couple of minutes each call. After the first call, My card got rejected and used a second card for the second call I needed to make it also was less than 3 min.
I was at Del Valle Regional Park in California and there was a phone booth with an (800) number to use this option for local calls service (Not coins available). There is not mobile carrier coverage there and since I got an urgency, that was the reason I needed to use this service.
I got charges of 23.01 in the first card and 27.79 in the second one being 50.80 dollars in total for less than 5 minutes.
This is ridiculous, what kind of scam is this? after this, both of my cards got locked because this company appears as suspicious of fraudulent activity.

This is not fair, I don't know how you keep operating and abusing of customers.

pay phone service at dallas love field, texas

I made a less than 1 minute local call on Sept 20, 2018 using Legacy Inmate Communications. I was charged $12.79. It does not seem like anyone is addressing the issue of corrupt...

trying to add money to my account

I am trying to add money top my account. I am using the same phone number and email I provided during the registration, but it is not accepting it. I only have one other email and I tried that just to see if I made a mistake. It did not work. I'm thinking the associate the input my information might have type something incorrectly. My email should [protected]@yahoo.com and phone [protected].
Thank you in advance.
Michelle

made payment no minutes available

im new to this so i made a payment minutes to legacy inmate communications well come to know they didnt service my family members prison so i call about getting refunded i wa...

[Resolved] collect call/ overcharged

My son made two collect phone calls to me on 10/12/2017 that lasted no more than 5 minutes each. The first call I was charged $29.08 and the second call I was charged $39.70.
I was shocked! I have sent correspondence to Legacy requesting a partial refund due to the fact that they never informed about their rates and this is obviously crooked.
This company needs to be STOPPED !

• Legacy Inmate Communications's response · Oct 19, 2017

October 14, 2017

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed herein, please find our response to Ms. Keeter’s complaint filed with your office, in which the complainant asserts dissatisfaction incurred from two Operator Assisted Calls.

Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the charges in question since no Billing Information was disclosed in the documentation sent by the consumer. Our office would like to make contact with Ms. Keeter, However we have no E-Mail nor Phone number to contact the customer with. If possible, please have Ms. Keeter contact our office so that we may address her concerns. If may have any additional questions, please feel free to give me a call at 800-577-5534.

Sincerely,

Rafael Quinto
    Quality Assurance

File: Complaints Board- Keeter

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] cost of collect calls

I was charged $36.99 for an 8 minute collect call! This is not the first time .
I think this is a ridiculous amount of money. It comes down to about five dollars a minute! There is no justification for that kind of charge!
I believe there should be limits set for what can be charged. This is not acceptable for those that have no other way to make a very necessary phone call and the other party has to pay an exorbitant amount of money to receive the call!

cost of collect calls

• Legacy Inmate Communications's response · Jul 24, 2017

July 13, 2017

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed herein, please find our response to Ms. Sumstine’s complaint filed with your office, in which the complainant asserts dissatisfaction incurred from one Operator Assisted Call.

Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the charges in question since no Billing Information was disclosed in the documentation sent by the consumer. Our office would like to make contact with Ms. Sumstine, However we have no E-Mail nor Phone number to contact the customer with. If possible, please have Ms. Sumstine contact our office so that we may address her concerns. If may have any additional questions, please feel free to give me a call at 800-577-5534.

Sincerely,

Rafael Quinto
    Quality Assurance

File: Complaints Board- Sumstine

• Resolution Statement

Legacy LD INTL — Unreasonable charges for collect calls

I received a collect call from my son but was not informed of the rates. The first called lasted 1-2 minutes. My son called back after checking something and that call lasted 1-2...

Prices for services

On 11/11/16, I placed a phone call using a pay phone at Cedar Grove Visitor’s Center in King’s Canyon National Park, California. The pay phone merchant was Legacy Collect Calls.
My call was about one minute in duration. The only published rates on the physical pay phone were for calls using coins ( $1.00 per minute). No published rates for credit card option were on the physical pay phone. To place a call, I dialed *22 on the payphone. The choices I heard were as follows:
• option 1 for collect calls
• option 2 for credit card calls

I picked option 2 to use my credit card. At this point, there still was no rate information, but I went ahead and placed my call.
On 11/14, my credit card statement listed a $21.58 charge to my credit card from Legacy Collect Calls. On 11/15, I called Legacy to dispute the charge. I said their credit card rates were not published. The customer service agent said the rates are published as an option 3 choice. I was surprise to learn their rates are $24.08 for the first minute. From a customer’s viewpoint, the rates should be published within the option 1 or option 2 choices. Better yet, the rates should be published on the physical phone itself. Had I known up front that credit card rate was for $24.08 for the first minute, I would not have used their service. The customer service agent gave me back $8.63 for my troubles. In the end, my one minute call was still at a high price of $12.95.
Be up front about your rates. Physically publish your credit card phone rates on the pay phones and/or published within the option 1 or option 2 phone tree choices.

Legacy Collect Calls — A one minute collect call

In an area without cell phone service I found a pay phone to call my son, however the phone would not accept quarters after I dialed the number. I tried a dozen times, but the...

Legacy Collect CallsFraudulent Phone Charges

On 2016-06-23 at around 5 am, on the way back from Logan Airport in Boston, after dropping off my wife for a flight to LAX, I didn't have my cell phone so stopped at the I-90 Framingham, MA westbound rest stop about 20 minutes west from the airport. Looked for a pay phone. Found one next to the ATM machines there.

The phone listed calls as $1 for 4 minutes. It also offered Credit Card and Collect options. OK, didn't need collect and I can afford and exorbitant $1 or $2 for a quick update that her flight was going to leave on time to avoid driving 2 hours round trip to pick her up if her flight was cancelled .

I gave my Fidelity Visa CC info and I was connected right away. I thought that was good and fast. I got home later and checked my Visa account online and was flabbergasted that they charged me twice for $28.55 and $1. A total of $29.55 for about a 4 minute call even though the phone clearly printed $1 for 4 minutes. I'd be happy to pay the exorbitant $2 for 5-6 minutes of calling.

When the system asked for my CC info, it called itself by some 3-letter acronym like PTN services or similar. Nothing about "Legacy Collect Calls" nor was there any mention that the charges were any different than printed on the phone. There was no mention of charge rates at all!

This is called slamming. Where you think you are using one service and they slam you into another without notice. It is outright illegal fraud.

I called the Fidelity Visa who were nice but they said since I gave my CC info, it's not fraud as they term it. They refer to fraud as charges made without my involvement whatsoever. If that were that case, they'd have to cancel my CC and issue another one. That would be a disaster since so much is tied to my main card.

So, they said, since I did initiate a transaction, be it a fraudulent scam or not, it was a billing dispute issue and I would have to wait for the charge to post in 2-3 days then call the Billing Dispute department and they'll argue for me but I am sure the scammers will just say I made the call and that is their rate - even though they did not give the rate on the phone.

I plan to lodge complaints with:
- The FCC
- The Massachusetts PUC (Public Utilities Commission)
- The Massachusetts Attorney General's office
- Elizabeth Warren for whom I have a contact

I feel worse that I am knowledgeable about such things and normally very careful - but I still got victimized. I am certainly not alone. There are 100's of complaints against this fraudulent outfit.

So, beware. NEVER make a public phone call with your charge card. I should have looked for change and plunked in the quarters as listed on the phone. How can fraudulent operations like this exist with so many complaints and such a clear case of fraudulent action. And certain political parties want LESS regulation? Why? So these companies can continue to exist?

As for what I'd like? I'd be content to pay $2 which is the rate printed on the phone. We only spoke for about 4 minutes ($1) but in case we went over, then, at $2 would cover up to 8 minues which we did NOT come anywhere close to.

Fraudulent Phone Charges

Legacy Collect CallsCharge for a collect call I received

I was at Logan Airport in Boston picking up a friend. She had lost her cell phone in her travels and used an airport phone to call and locate me. I got a recorded voice saying i had a collect call from her and I accepted it by pressing 1 it instructed me to put in my Cr Cd info which i did and by the time i finished I heard a recorded voice that the other party had hung up. I have 2 charges on my card this morning one for $3.00 and one for $21.58 from Legacy Collect Calls.. WTH, , , , I never even got thru to talk, (we ended up spotting each other and went on our way! Why would a major international airport continue to let this farce no good thieves have control still for these calls I see so many complaints similar to mine. I'm going to try to dispute thru my bank and stop the pymt. Wish me luck.. NEVER ACCEPT A COLLECT CALL WITHOUT GETTING COST INFO FIRST.. JUST HANG UP OR YOU'LL BE IN THE SAME $$BOAT AS A TON OF OTHER INNOCENT HARD WORKING PEOPLE GETTING RIPPED OFF...

Legacy Collect Calls — Collect Calls

My brother made numerous collect calls to my mom's landline, [uninformed of price per call or minute] due to the circumstances she needed to except the call. She has stage 4...

No call to/from corrections institution made

On 06/26/2015 I was charged $17.58 for a call to/from a correctional institution that I did not authorize. I did authorize a payment of $1.00, the day before this fraudulent transaction. I have contacted the company, my bank and the Better Business Bureau, to get a refund.

Legacy LD INTL — Pay Phone Collect Call

I was driving on 94 East to go to Money Tree in that area of San Diego. Out of thin air my Vehicle over heated and had to pull over on the free way. Toke the exit College Ave to...

Legacy Collect CallsCOMPANY IS A SCAM!

Operator asked for my credit card information. The call rang once and never went through. Called the operator back and told me I would not be charge because the call never connected...A few days later I was charge a ridiculous amount of $30.03!!! Called the company, had me on hold for 50 minutes!!! so I hung up called my credit card company and had them refund my money in less than 5 minutes! This company needs to be get SHUT DOWN !!!

• Ho
    hogdog Feb 23, 2014

why can u not talk to a person instead of a auto thing that says to pay your bill? i dont know if i owe them and i am not giving out any info to some machine i would like to speak to a real person

• El
    eliciabb Jan 28, 2016

Here is a direct # 877-5534440. You can call them and speak to someone. Their service doesn't even work and their charges should be criminal. Get as many people you can to call them.

Legacy Collect Calls — unreasonably charged

On September 11, 2011 I needed to make an emergency phone call and did not have change to use a payphone. I dialed *22 under the impression that I could charge the amount to use...

Legacy Collect CallsTHIEVES

These thieves charged my debit card $18.00 for a 90 second collect call. And so could'nt get anymore money from me I closed my acct. The second time they ask me for my card number I gave them a closed acct number. To screw them right back. What goes around comes around. And god don't like ugly. These guys should be put in jail. And have them pay back the people they ripped off. I'm taking this to the media to expose these a-holes on a national basis. I'm going to teach them to steal from me channel 5, 7, 9, 11 here I come

• St
    STEAL FRM ME? Aug 24, 2011

I HAD TO CLOSE MY ACCT. SO THEY CAN'T GET ANYTHING ELSE FROM ME. AND GAVE THEM A CLOSED ACCT. NUMBER TO SCREW THEM BACK. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN AND PUT IN JAIL FOR STEALING. JUST GIVE THEM AN OLD CLOSED ACCT NUMBER. LET'S SCREW THIS THIEVES BACK WHERE THEY CAME FROM THEY CHARGED ME $18.00 FOR 90 SECONDS. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY.

John Kosco Feb 24, 2016

I definitely believe this Legacy scamming Co. needs to be put my out of business. My Mom who has stage 4 cancer, excepted numerous collect calls from one of her sons with NO knowledge of the price per call, now has NO phone. When opening her phone bill from AT&T and seeing her $70 a month bill is NOW $1500.00. Living on a fixed income, needless to say CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY IT!!!. I can't believe that AT&T would affiliate their company with such a scam.. I feel a class action lawsuit should be filed A.S.A.P.. I too believe that the media should be involved.. I am going to take the necessary measures to get to the bottom of this!!

Legacy Collect Calls — Company withdrew more than they should've

I accepted a phone call from my cousin from a pay phone on 8511. My cousin made two attemps to call and I only accepted one call. The call was only 2-3 minutes long and I wa...

Legacy Collect Calls — Over priced

This company is a rip off, it's used in prisons for inmates to make collect calls. My cousin called me several times collect through this Legacy Co. I had to enter my credit...

Legacy LD INTLCharging me for collect calls I never accepted

I have been charged for collect calls for the last time, I don't even except collect calls. its only myself and my husband who answer the phone and live here and I have a answering machine, these people are not getting another dime from me. and they tell me to submit a letter and then we can dispute it, well in the mean time I'm not paying for these recent calls they are charging me for. the fcc needs to take care of this place and see that they are ripping people off, Their not getting nothing from us

• Ti
    TiaMia509 Aug 04, 2010

I just had the same thing happened to me. I called them and advised that there was no way that I accepted the calls because it is just me and my 3 year old son and we werent even home. The person I spoke to was not helpful so I told him I wasn't going to pay them and have sent in my dispute.

Legacy LD INTL — LEGACY LD INTL, INC

Not only did LEGACY LD INTL, over charge me $30.00 for a less than five minute phone call, they had the nerve to be excessively rude on the phone when I called to inquire about a...

Legacy LD INTL — Ridiculously charged from Legacy LD INTL!

On [protected] i received a collect call from my wife that she had locked herself out, her purse, and the keys are in the car, i accepted the call at that time nobody advised me of...