Menu
S
Author of the complaint
2:19 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to a lecture sponsored by LSI held at a Marriot Hotel. In pain, all I heard was the hopeful. I was "interviewed" later and they called me. I was told in the "interview" at the hotel that Aetna covers this surgery (disc surgery for lower back). Not true. Price of the surgery was $30, 000. I agreed and paid a deposit. Flew from Maryland to Tampa. In pain. The techs took X-rays and sent me to have a shot. The shot helped a bit. Everyone seemed anxious to be sure that I should be deemed sick enough to have surgery! Finally they decided I could. Paid up front with credit card. They said they would bill Aetna and all would be paid.

The nurse before surgery could not even insert the IV into my hand. He tried 3 times and finally called someone else to insert it in another vein. As my hand was now all bruised. I nearly got up and left. I was losing confidence. I wish I had left.

My Dr was Dr Scott. I was asleep through the process. I awoke face down looking at spatters of blood on the floor and feeling my lip was bruised and swollen. I asked what happened. The orderly or nurses present said "you stopped breathing and we had to quickly do something. Sorry for the bruised lip". I was too woozy to ask what the "something" was.

Returned to my hotel for recovery. Horrible pain that night and next day. Was told at the clinic that this was normal and was given a new exercise routine by the PT. "your new exercise is walking".

It took weeks before I felt less pain. I still had the original pain in my disc and now had nerve pain in my foot and leg which I had never had. I still have it to this day to some extent and have never recovered the state of activity I had even before the LSI surgery.

Each time I called about this they said I was doing well and to say so on the forms. They were submitting my insurance. I did everything they said. They kept asking me to report I was doing better. Of course I was doing a bit better slowly from the surgery, but never attained my previous health.

Aetna deemed this "experimental surgery, unnecessary surgery" based on my MRIs and said I should have been treated with gel packs and PT. they never paid.

Short story: I had on and off again back episodes. In between I was a runner, worked out in a gym, had an active life. I will never run again. I have daily chronic pain, nerve damage which never went away. I am much much worse after LSI. It is 6 years from the surgery. I am a positive and hopeful person. I take nothing for my pain as I dislike drugs. I work around my (new) chronic, never gets better, back pain and remember Dr Scott and his team often.

LSI is a group of unskilled doctors, managed by crooked thieves. The head of orthopedic surgery at Georgetown University Hospital saw my X-rays and MRIs and said I should not have had this surgery. But that he had "seen worse". Not high praise.

More Laser Spine Institute complaints & reviews

Laser Spine Institute - buyer beware
Laser Spine Institute - careful! scam!
Laser Spine Institute - lsi treats their employees like garbage