La Fitness - Personal Trainingtrainer no shows

H

My husband and I signed up for a personal training account along with our gym membership nearly 2 years ago. We started with one trainer, Ben, then shortly thereafter moved on to work with Chris. Chris was there for the summer between semesters to he left late summer. At that point we were assigned to Nicole. She was a decent trainer as far as workout were concerned, but shortly after working with her we started having problems with her not showing up for appointments. It meant that we were banking so many unused sessions because she would cancel and then cancel the rescheduled sessions. At one point we had about 3 months worth of training banked because of all the missed sessions. We finally had to tell Nicole that we could no longer work with her missing so many sessions. Shortly thereafter we learned that Nicole was fired.. That left us to find an another trainer. A friend who was also a member of the gym recommended Luis. She was moving away and leaving the gym so it worked out that we could take over her time slot and work out with Luis. Things were great. He never missed an appointment and we were starting to make some head way in using up the nearly 3 months of banked sessions. Then we went on vacation in early December and when we returned from that vacation to our appointment with Luis, we were so disappointed to learn that he had quit employment with LA Fitness. Tyler, one of the managers at the club spoke very poorly of Luis and his departure. I did not see that in Luis and was quick to let Tyler know this. Tyler explained that a new trainer coordinator was going to the Camp Hill facility and he would be able to help us We shared with Tyler all that had happened during our period with the training contract. Tyler was very arrogant and wanted us to give them a chance to make good on this. We did finally meet with Singin, the trainer coordinator. He did one session with us, but explained he could not train us. His role was simply to oversee the trainers. At this point, it was very apparent that the training staff was disappearing. One trainer shared with us that everyone is leaving because of the pay and treatment. In the meantime, they are selling more and more training contracts. My husband and I are struggling to schedule training appointments. We finally get a new trainer, Matt. We are pleased with his workouts and did meet with him twice. Again at this point we are again banking sessions. Then after the 2 sessions with Matt, we get a call an hour before the third session. Matt is ill and cannot meet with us. I try to reschedule for something the next evening or so. He gives me his cell number and says that I can call the next morning to confirm and reschedule. I call the next morning as promised. I get Matt's voicemail and ask him to return my call to my cell. No return call. Go to the gym that next night and he is not there. Talked with Tyler and Singin and they do not understand why we will not give them another chance. Are they really serious? I go onliine to see what sessions are available. They have very limited availability for training in the evenings. As full-time workers, we cannot train mid-day. We are limited in our schedule to M, W, F at 6:30. We explain to Tyler and Singin that we have no choice but to cancel our contract. Tyler printed out the form, which doesn't even need a signture and simplt includes a bar code. I attached a letter of explanation for mailing, certified mail, to the home office. Hope that they get it and process promptly. In the meantime, Tyler says that our remaining six banked sessions will be honored. i schedule an appointment online at their website with Ian. So Monday at 6:30 my husband and I are there to meet with Ian. BUT, no one has seen Ian all day. Singin calls Ian. Ian doesn't know of any appointments for Monday, but he has one for 6:30 on Tuesday. Singin proceeds to tell us that we really should not use the online scheduling. Then why does it exist? I have used in this in the past without a problem. AND I have an email confirmation of the Monday appointment that I received on Sunday. Some reading this might think that I am crazy for giving them so many chances. I really did want this to work. The concept is a good one. They just cannot keep selling these packages though if they cannot keep the staff. As we were talking with Singin this last time, he was actually signing up a new training client. I was so close to telling that man, don't do it. At least not until they can get their program and staff in order. I am curious to see what if any contact the home office in CA will have with regards to my cancellation and the letter of explanation that I mailed.
On a positive note, we do enjoy the group fitness class - spinning. They have some professional and consistancy in the staff in that program. I want to continue my gym membership, I just need to step away from the training program. I recommend that others not sign up for training.