KeyBank National AssociationFraudulent Check

V

I received a check for $3, 980.00 to be deposited into my personal account. Then I should call Mr. Michael Chambers. This check is for insurance and processing fees for a check worth $651, 500.00.

How can this bank be a party to this fraud?

• Ra
    Raven Darkholme Dec 02, 2008

The bank is NOT party to the scam. The fraudsters have stolen a bank account and printed it on counterfit checks. It's a real account number that belongs to a business other that the business name printed on the check. They are victims as well.

• Tr
    trecharobinson Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for your website alert, pretaining to the, " Keybank National Association Scam". I also received a check in the amount of $3, 944.32 on 10-21-2009, they said the check was sent for the assistance in paying the taxes owed in the amount of $2, 500.00, for the lotto winning, in the amount of $250, 000.00. Again, Thank you. Scott

Mac Tay Dec 23, 2009

I received a check for $3, 759.00 drawn on the Keybank National Association's branch in West Sands, New York. The check was from Worden Safety Products, LLC in Averil, New York. The accompanying letter was on Reader's Digest letterhead stationery and informed me that I had won a Reader's Digest Loto drawing for $97, 000.00. I was told to call a phone number and speak with a named person to activate the awarding of the prize money.
    The purpose of the check was to cover the cost of insurance and processing fees involved in delivering the lump sum prize check to me. I was then instructed to deposit the check and then send a MoneyGram for $3, 115.00 to a woman in London, UK.
    I made the mistake of doing that.
    Subsequently, I received a call from my bank's fraudulent check department telling me about the check's being counterfeit. Unfortunately, I did not get the notice from my bank until I had already sent that MoneyGram and a second Western Union funds transfer to still a different woman in London, UK. The second funds transfer was to pre-pay income tax due on the $97, 000.00 to be paid to me by Reader's Digest.
    I've since learned that several scams are being conducted using counterfeit Keybank National Association checks and involving Worden Safety Products, LLC.