Joann Fabricsemployee practice

O Review updated:

I was shopping at the Columbus, Oh store on 3/26/15 and was appalled to notice that the sales clerks were in the process of washing down the shelving units as part of their job duties! Most of these employees are 50+ yrs old, some younger, some older. I spoke with the manager who indeed said this was part of their job description. Seriously?? I don't know about the rest of you, but have you ever been in a store @ 11:30 a.m. and see the clerk staff cleaning???? This corporation has a janitorial service for the floors, why not for the anything else?Ohio is an "employed at will" state; I sincerely doubt that if anyone complained they would not be fired. I find this despicable!

• M
      Mar 28, 2015

What are you talking about???
    I have worked in retail most of my life and the employees ALWAYS have to do some kind of cleaning, straightening up the shelves or other busy work in the down time.

• R
      Mar 28, 2015

I have a hunch in a store like JoAnnes if a cleaning service washed down the shelves there would be a good chance that a lot of merchandise could get ruined. Also doing the shelves would take a lot more time and work because of all the items that would have to be taken off and put back on. Why is it any concern of yours? Yes, in my 74 years I have been in a lot of different types of stores and seen the employees doing cleaning duties during business hours. This includes grocery stores, department stores, and discount stores. What are the employees supposed to do when the store isn't busy, just stand around doing nothing. I bet you would complain about that too.

• F
      Oct 30, 2015

I am more upset to see an employee not working. I have a feeling you are a disgruntled worker.