Inter Rentcar rental

I reserved a car for 25/09 to the 02/10 (1 week). This was supposed to be a "Ford Focus or similar".

On arrival, I was told that as I had "missed my slot" the only car available was a higher grade car. I was therefore charged additional for the rental and basic insurance (an additional €42.95)

I booked the rental through booking.com and at the time the booking form did not give me a pick up time option. It pre-set the collection time to 11:30am. Anyway, the gentlemen explained that as I was late that booking had gone and my only option through them was to take the higher graded car. He basically shrugged his shoulders and said that I should have booked it directly with InterRent and not through Booking.com. Hardly great customer service.

The "higher graded car" that they gave me was a Volkswagen Golf 1.0l! I fail to see how a 1.0l engine car is a higher grade than a "Ford Focus or similar" (the Ford Focus they were going to give me must have been really bad if this is the case!)

At present I feel as though I have been unfairly treated and am reluctant to use the company again. I am returning to Tenerife in January and will be hiring a car. Though this situation has made me seriously consider going elsewhere and suggesting to others that they do the same.

My contact number with InterRent is/was [protected].

My booking reference number with Booking.com was: [protected].

Ed