IKEAovercharged

K

Yet another complaint about ikea. 2 weeks ago I went to ikea to order my kitchen. All was going so well; very helpful assistant, everything would be delivered, etc. The bill came to over £200 more than I expected but I hadn't know exactly what price the double width worksurface would be so although the assistant and I scanned down the order checking the price of items - but not the total for each items - and everything seemed in order. Aware of a queue forming behind me I decided to check further at home. This is when I found the mistake - mr ca had ordered 33 plinths for me instead of 3 - enough to plinth my entire town! - at an extra cost of £270.

I called ikea immediately and was told someone would call me back - which they did the next day although I was not impressed when the man said I would have to show them my paperwork first. I suggested he looked online as this was an order waiting to be delivered and he would have all the information there. He called back, confirmed the mistake and said it would be forwarded to the relevant department. (Don't you just dread that phrase?)

The following week my credit card bill arrived; ikea's full amount was on it but no credit. I called the bank first to check it wasn't being processed. Then I called ikea. They promised to call me back, that day or the next. Nothing. 2 days later I called again. They promised to call me back later that day. Nothing. I've checked with my bank again this morning to see if anything is being processed - no. So I called ikea again and have been told someone will call me back.

My credit card bill is due next week. This kitchen cost £2000 - should have been £270 less! - and I clear my cards each month so I don't get charged interest. I do not want to pay the extra £270 and wait another month for my credit.

I am writing on this board because ikea has no complaint department you can email or write to. You can call them - and they can promise to call you back, or you can chat online. But I want to write so my full complaint is logged.

I have been given a delivery date but reading the forum on ikea deliveries I am not holding my breath...

Jacqueline Bath Oct 15, 2013

I wanted to purchase an IKEA coffee table for my granddaughter's birthday so I told my daughter to take her to a nearby IKEA store to pick out one so I could have it sent to her residence where she goes to university. I ordered one, plus a storage shelf online. No final billing appeared. I always print them out. I checked email to see if they had sent oone but they had not. My granddaughter received her two pieces on time and was really pleased. When my credit card came I learned that, though the items totaled $114.00, the tax plus shipping or whatever brought the total bill to $371. +.

I tried to fax my letter and complaint to IKEA but they do not have a fax number. They did send a confirmation number following the order and, when I emailed about it, they did not recognize the number. First time I called I was on hold for so long that I gave up. Later tried again and got a woman who found my bill right away and emailed a copy to me. She said that it was correct because that is how much they charge to ship.

My credit card people tried to help but could not. I wish I could get a refund of some of the shipping cost which is ridiculous, but am afraid I am out of luck. I will never shop at IKEA again and will tell everyone I can about the failure to receive an invoice at the time of purchase (I would have cancelled the order) and the overcharge.