Ideal DoorCompany run by hill billies

At the Menards store in Champaign I purchased an 8’x16’ Ideal brand garage door. This door would never open without extreme physical effort. It was sent to me with two left side torsion springs. There is a left spring and a right spring. They are not interchangeable
I suspected one of the torsion springs was the problem, but the people at the Menards store could not imagine such a thing, and were of no help at all in resolving the problem. They suggested I call Ideal’s help line.
Ideal’s toll free help line representatives are friendly and could be helpful, but they could not imagine I might have a door with two springs for the left side. I gave up on the help line representatives and sent a letter to Ideal’s Email address.
I emailed high-resolution pictures of the springs installed on the door. Whoever received the pictures agreed it didn’t look right but they were totally baffled by what the problem could be. They suggested I dial the toll free help line again, and perhaps their representatives could talk me through it
At this time I realized I was dealing with someone who was totally unfamiliar with how modern overhead doors work
I sent another Email explaining how the torsion springs work and requesting they send the correct spring for the right side of the door to me through Menards in Champaign Il. This revelation left them speechless. I never heard from them again. Subsequently I visited the Menards store and ordered the correct spring from Ideal. I paid for it myself saving Ideal door $34.95. Perhaps saving the Ideal Door Company from financial catastrophe.
I have no complaint about the quality of Ideal doors. I have used them often and found them satisfactory. I believe they previously used the name Clopay.
Mistakes are made in any manufacturing process. It only becomes a problem when they are not acknowledged.

• Vo
    Voodoo Jul 10, 2010

As always, a picture is worth a thousand words. Descriptions can be easily misunderstood but a picture rarely lies.

• To
    Toolchick Oct 28, 2010

Sorry but at 25 years in the overhead door industry, this story is hallarious. It's not Ideal Door that screwed up your door, it's Menards. The order pickers had No Clue what they were putting together. You should have taken or shipped both springs back to them and requested a qualified person to attend to your issue as with 2 Left Hand Wound springs(which should be installed to the right of the center bearing plate) i'm surprised you didn't hurt yourself when winding them. The deal is done now but keep the extra spring in the rafters as springs are only good for an average of 10, 000 cycles with every new door unless higher cycle is requested (door opens and closes = 1 cycle) and you will eventually need it. Good to hear that you installed and figured this out yourself which is more tha a Menards employee is capable of.

• De
    Dennis Jacobson Oct 13, 2011

I just installed a 16'x8' ideal door in my shop that i bought at Menards & it came with 2 right hand torion springs. It's not Menards that made the mistake it was boxed up wrong, I call Menards & they were very nice to deal with. They call the Ideal door company & have the spring ordered. i tried to get the door company to ship it directly to me, but was told no they couldn't do that. It will be shipped on there next truck to the Moorhead Menards, now i got an E-Mail with the estimated delivery date of 21 days from now. I'm not to happy with the Ideal door company right now.

• Su
    Sue Petrowsky Mar 13, 2012

Recently purchased a Ideal garage door was told what junk! Not enough struts to make garage door run properly, put extra on still not enough. Finally call local garage door service to fix the problem. The hardware that is sold with the door is not of very good quality!!!

• Do
    Don Garber Mar 11, 2017

We put up a 14x16 in November. It was a heavy duty roll up door. Worked good until a wind storm blew it out last week. I would not recommend a roll up door out in the country.