Hydro OneOutrageous billing

Hydro One billing is excessive and unreasonable. How is one to live and attempt to dig themselves out of debt when they cannot get ahead due to hydro ones pricing. The government needs to step up and reduce the amount of money it is STEALING from innocent people trying to make a living. Hydro is a necessity in todays world and therefore should be more reasonably priced. $900 for a single month? their excuse is a reading error? They demand this money or your cut off. Oh and god forbid you have a late payment or else they will add a $800 security deposit. If one is struggling to make the usage payment, how are they suppose to come up with the funds for a security deposit. Going to have to sell the house I guess. What kind of economic stimulus are these outrageous hydro billings?

• Be
    Beverley Tashoots Apr 02, 2018

yes I know hydro is a scam cause I use to pay 40 to 80 a month same heat going in winter time and every thing. but now all of a sudden I get a bill in the mail for 600 dollars sure we missed a payment because of a loss in the family. and still they threatin yu for disconnect. so I went to the advocates to help me deal with this matter and the advocates helped me pay half of the bill and I had to get a loan to pay the other half. so now its payed up but not even a week later they sent me a bill saying I owe them another 318.oo dollars and the month is not even up yet. and I can't pay them any more cause i'm on a early monthly pension. and they wouldn't stop. but I pray they be delt with sooner or later with all this scam that's going on. and make them pay us back because of their faulty meters. and when I phoned them they said I have two meters and I told them no I don't I live in a apartment building so I know they are scamming people. I really want to make a lawsuit against them but need help very soon.

Chey Williams Sep 11, 2015

I live in a town house. I have owed Hydro One $800 for 2 years. compared to some of these prices mine looks minimal, but for 2 years I have been paying over $350 a month and i still owe $800. Im from Six Nations Ontario and our chief is setting up meetings with Hydro One to discuss our bills. i don't care about a giant chunk of money but i would like to knw why the hell that $800 hasn't been affected with $350 payments every month

• Fr
    Fraggle23 Feb 23, 2015

Join with us in the fight against Hydro One
    Facebook group - Hydro One - Enough is Enough
    Protest planned for May 2015 at Queen's Park.

• Fr
    Frustrated.... Jan 24, 2015

Hydro One is definitley screwing us hard. We purchased a house and the previous owners had installed a 40, 000 geothermal sytem to save on hydro costs. They were paying on average 3600 a year in hydro which is reasonable for the size of the house. I have changed windows, doors, spray foamed installed led lighting you name it to even further reduce the cost. Well that work well my hydro went up in a year to $5100. What a joke! When you do call it is " well do you know geo thermal is very expensive to run" maybe they should educate some of these idiots because it is the cheapest. Our goverment needs to take action on these criminals. Delivery charge, debt retirement, hst, all add up to more that our total cost for hydro!!!

• Sc
    scammemore! Dec 16, 2014

My bills used to be 250$/mo because I used quite some energy indeed. Then they went to 330... 350... then 450$!! I have changed absolutely nothing in energy consumption at that point. That's all in the summer!!! I have no AC either!! I am an electronician so I know very well how electricity works and how to calculate how much 5minutes on my toaster will cost me to the penny precise. My point is I know what I am doing. I called them and they gave me the same BS as everyone here... I asked if their meter might be off or something and they "reassured" me that it is IMPOSSIBLE for their electronic device to be off (lol?).
    I put a timer on the pool (which should saves me no more than 30$/mo) and started using electricity mostly on off peaks instead. Bill went down to 350, then 250, then 173$ on the last one.
    There is absolutely NOTHING that can explain such eratic bills than em screwing me over with their bs meter.
    I am not even on equal billing. My house is 3 years old (electricity was done by the previous owner, who's an electrician himself!!) and no one can be stealing me as I have only one neighbor which is my friend.

So is calling the ombudsman our only way to maybe solve this? This is outrageous...

• Ta
    TakeMyMoney Nov 29, 2014

People need to wake up & realize that Hydro 1 does not read your meter. They GUESS it to what ever amount they want & there's dick all you/we can do about it. They are stealing from us & they should be charged with theft, as that's exactly what it is. I finally got proof they haven't been here to read my meter in months, but I suspect it's been yrs. It wasn't hard & I know I'm getting charged more than double what I use. I was even away for over a month, turned everything off at my fuse box & still got a $180 bill for that month, go figure. If it's happening to me, it's happening to YOU. They need to be stopped as this crap has gone on long enough. We need to get enough people together then hire a good Lawyer.

Samson203 Nov 27, 2014

I just moved in a small northern town of Pickle Lake, Ontario..over a year ago..its was shocking how high Hydro One was billing residents in that small town..including myself..from $3000.00 a month to $1700.00 a month..believe it or not..in a mobile home..

• Lu
    Lucindachrissley Nov 24, 2014

I am so upset my son has moved three times and they have had their hydro bill stopped because of hydro one saying they were investigating the bills they would get back to them, well they received a 6000.00 bill OH then they said they would work over this again and they got a 4000.00 bill that would have been from one house that they lived at from Aug to Aug the next year please can some one help me to find someone to help them

• Hy
    hydroscam Sep 02, 2014

Hello I can't believe hydro I use to pay $80 a month and now that they put in the rip off metre I know have to pay $500 a month I call them and they always say oh u have an old fridge or u have an old washer and dryer but I have a new stuff I love how they know what u have in your home or what u have plunged in I'm so sick of hydro it cost me more for hydro then it does to pay a mortgage and we have to pay for the retired hydro people like really they going to pay ours as well I think hydro is a scams and taking advantage of everyone the damn government needs to step up and do there job its so depressing I can sleep and when I'm at work all I can think of is I need more hours to pay my hydro bill like I already work two jobs just because of hydro I work 72 hours a week and have to take care or three kids its just not right what hydro is doing to people

• Mi
    mike sicard Jun 06, 2014

i am so tire of them i got disconnected not just for the billing but for our health.our meter was giving my 6 year old fevers every night at first i didn't make anything of it but then took his temp my god i said to my self then i moved him away from the meter and put radiation cover on meter and on wall and boom no more fever nightmare are all gone same with me had not had a good sleep in years now they are all gone so when i pinned pointed what was the cause i made a concerned call with no avail so i had to make the sacrifice to have it removed.now looking at off grid for out health thanks hydro for all the trouble hope no long term affect will come from this to us but how about others who don't no.it makes age pre maturely and kills are immune system llike chemo hope this help someone else good luck

• Lp
    L Peeters Apr 11, 2014

I have just received my third hydro billing for $1000...that is $3000 in 3 months. My average bill has always been around $400 since we heat with Hydro...but we have kept the house Cold...no lights are on for 16 to 18 hours a day. This is crazy, we are going to have to sell everything all because of Hydro bills if this keeps going. We the people are being ripped off and the government needs to do something about this. You are going to bankrupt people all due to Hydro!!

Linda Peeters

• Ju
    justlyn Mar 20, 2014

We bought a cottage mid August of last year... our first bill ran from Aug 19 thru Nov 19 and was $1200. I think we had the heat on a few times late fall is all. I just got a bill for my cottage property today, to the tune of $4400!!! Nov 12 thru Mar 12 and we had the heat set at 10 to avoid freezing the water lines (forced air electric furnace) We have a bubbler running to keep the water open at the boathouse. We turn off the heated water tank when not there. We unplug everything. We leave no lights on except one at the boathouse for safety. We got up maybe twice over the winter due to bad travel weather and so had the heat turned up for two weekends at a normal temperature. OMG!!! This is outrageous!!! At my home in Halton Hills my bills are no where near this outrageous. WTH!!! We will be putting in a new propane furnace this spring but I can't help but wonder if it will even make a dent. Anyone else???

• Ti
    Tired of Tree Branches Feb 28, 2014

While my bills aren't as outrageous as some on here (I would be screaming blue bloody murder if they were!) I'm still trying to get my brain cells around the billing I had for Dec 17, 2013 - Jan 18, 2014. As most of us in Ontario know, the ice storm hit. Personally, I was without power for over 3 days. Hydro One can't explain to me why my bill for that period did not change from previous months or this month's billing. 3 days without heat and electricity. Nothing running. But no change on my bill. The last ice storm in 2011 when branches from my tree took out my meter and post - it was fixed within a day. I asked for that tree which is huge to be brought down. This tree was "trimmed" by Ontario Hydro for years and forced it to grow out into the yard. Hydro One's response? Put a rope around the tree so forestry can identify the one I think is dying. Uhm...there is only ONE tree out front. You can't miss it. An arborist stopped by one day and told me it had to be over 100 years old. There are branches down every day off this tree. Hydro One said they would send someone out and I gave them my cell phone number. (no one home during the week day so no point in calling home phone) A technician showed up in JULY to look at the tree, left a message on my home phone saying it's fine...it's still green (ie. has leaves) Well that's fine but you didn't call my cell so I could argue my case, you called my home phone you gutless wonder. Now MORE branches are down - one just missed my gas meter...and oh yes...I still have that message you left me about my "just fine" tree...so does the insurance company who will be contacting you when it falls down.

cheryl Ellis Feb 21, 2014

Everyone please check out this facebook page "Join the fight against Hydro rates". They are organizing Hydro One Protest across Ontario April 4, 2014

cheryl Ellis Feb 21, 2014

Everyone fed up with Hydro One please go to this site on Facebook "Join the fight against Hydro rates" They are organizing demonstrations all across Ontario on April 4, 2014.

Majorly pissed offf Feb 16, 2014

I can't figure out on my bill for my business my most power used is off peak 7 PM to 7 AM when my work hours are 8 AM to 5 PM . There is no one here to use any power.

• Je
    Jenny12311 Jan 15, 2014

Hydro One is so expensive. I just got my bill for one month, 600. Here I'am struggling to pay bills and the head CEOs of this company are published as billlionaires, this is so ethically wrong, how is this legal? Hydro one charges the consumers for all the delivery and regulatory charges and all that instead of covering the costs themselves, first part of how they charge customers extra, not paying the delivery charges, ensuring all profits for themselves with no costs - pretty smart right? Then they try to teach us how to save money on power, and I too am freezing all the time with thermostats set below 65 F, just so my bills dont go any higher than above, as they can get to 900 a month in the coldest of winter, I live in small modest 980 square foot 2 bedroom home and my hottub is not even connected. The government should make it illegal to charge this much, if the top CEO of this company cared about the people at all he would only take home a modest 200, 000 a year or so like normal CEOs, instead of making biliions and getting rich off of other peoples suffering, for something you have to have, just like food and water, making it so that everyone suffers, due to barely being able to make bills and being cold in the house with low thermostat settings. Electricity should not cost more than 200 a month max, for a small home, so people can have a normal life and have money to do things too, not just pay mortgage and electric and then you are broke. I called for help to explain my crazy bill and the CSR got angry and irritated, trying to explain the bills and the estimate vs actual metered consumption, as they sent me two bills this month, due to errors. I hope all the head people at this unethical company enjoy their billions, due to their exorbitant price scams for money while they get rich, the rest of the customers suffer and there are no other power options in this area, besides going without power. One day the people will fight back against this, as it is almost communist having this much control and making this much money over something that all peole should have access to in 2014, electricity, the average person should be able to afford it too.

• Cr
    Cristine Pauls Dec 02, 2013

Their scam is ingenious. We moved in March 1st of this year. We are VERY conservative with our hydro. We use a wood stove and clothesline for starters. We were told (by hydro) previous bills had been around $200-250/mthly. Our 1st bill, which didn't arrive on time, was 463.45. We received 2nd bill days later. The total of the two bills was $992.90. It takes days for a supervisor to call back and usually more than 1 call. They said to make things easier while they figuring out what bills should actually be they could put me on equal billing... at $369/mthly. I argued that this amount was to high, and was told it was cheaper than the bills I was getting. They had me call in readings mthly which I faithfully did. Meantime I have been making mthly payments, not for the $369, but for what our bills actually are. Our actual usage is running approx $200/mthly. Latest bill (Nov) shows a credit of $860 difference between actual usage and $369 payment plan. We are now being told it didn't matter how much power we used... we AGREED to pay $369 a month and that was what we owed. Also no adjustment on first outrageous bills. They offered to set up a payment plan to pay off the balance... in addition to paying current bills. So, bottom line...they now want approx $400 a month instead of the $369. I have been in touch with a lawyer but she hasn't had time yet to go through paperwork. I wonder how many people they are ripping of this way. PS... Supervisor did confirm that if we had gone over the $369 we would have had to pay the difference on a make up bill. Hmmm...what happened to the $369 a month there? Shouldn't it work both ways? Also what was the point of having me call in readings if they were just going to charge the $369 anyway? Somebody needs to stop these crooks!

• Di
    DiannaLynn Nov 28, 2013

Hydro One is robbing everyone. I'm in the process of rounding up my bills. When I was on budget billing a few years back I was paying $540 a month and at end of term I would get a $2000 catch up bill. I was paying over $8000+ a year on budget billing. After going through all the hassles associated with trying to cover the cost of the catch up bill ($2000 is more than what my husbands pension is) by getting a payment arrangement and an ignorant Hydro One employee phones and tells me that if it was her call she would never give us a payment arrangement. I told her that my husband and I were switching to regular billing and she tells me in a snide way "You better be able to cover your monthly bill because it won't be the same each month." I'm told to go to social assistance to get help paying, but am told at social assistance that we do not qualify for help from them because my husband is about $1000 over their threshold to receive help and that if we can not afford to live where we are to apply for housing. I would need a 3 bedroom home and we would have to pay market rent which costs more than what my own mortgage payment costs. I'd rather stay where I am thanks..Anyway, that first year after going off budget billing I kept tabs on what I paid each month. Without changing any of my routines (because of time of use), no downgrading, no nothing I paid $2500 for the year. How can I go from paying over $8000+ a year in hydro to paying $2500 a year in hydro without changing nothing? If I'm successful in finding all my bills from when I was on budget billing I will be asking alot of questions to Hydro One and seeking reimbursement because there is no way I could have a $6000 difference.

• Da
    David Teichroeb Peters Nov 27, 2013

My hydro bills go as follows: Feb my bill was $621.17. Mar $496.72 April $604.58. May $435.09. June $284.39. July $412.86. Up to this point I paid bills in full, hoping this problem would be resolved, and I would be reimbursed. I made phone calls to hydro one (And the waiting time just to get through to talk to someone. WOW).the agent speaking to me admitted I was being charged based on estimation and not actual readings. I asked why they would not charge me based on last years hydro consumption. she replied they do not do that. I tried to reason with her telling her that I run a business, and just to imagine me telling my clients I was going to charge them double the price without good reason! she calmly replied "you will just have to come to terms with it". It started to scare me now thinking if I keep paying, they are going to be happy, and I will not be reimbursed. Another agent said to call back in a month, and that he put it in the system, that the metre was not working and would send someone out. I have called 3 times since then to keep in touch with them. I let them know I just cannot afford this! Now they claim they corrected the problem by pushing some buttons in their office, and they have the correct reading, and I still owe $1058.88 to Oct. Why then did they not push those buttons months earlier, instead tell me they would send a technician to fix the metre? No convincing reply. My service type is residential- Low density. It is not a farm, I heat with oil, I rent the place. I run my air compressor occasionally, and a clothes dryer that runs everyday, but I know there is something seriously wrong with these $amounts!! THIS IS ROADSIDE ROBBERY!!!

john m stewart Nov 06, 2013

I hate hydro one pay more in delivery than hydro
    Try to figure how to come up with 50 k so I can go solar and chop their poles on my land

• Ca
    Cashmere4ever Oct 05, 2013

I live in Silverwater ON, which is a small rural community located in the west end of Manitoulin Island. I am OFFENDED and OUTRAGED at the amount of money I am being billed for my Ontario Hydro bill. No, "dukemiester" (see previous comment), we do not all have water charges on our hydro bills. I am on a sand point, septic system. The only charge on my bill is regarding electricity usage (which accounts for approximately 35% of my total bill, plus an additional 50% for DELIVERY CHARGES!!! and the rest… 15% for other staple charges and HST.

I have just calculated my bill for the last monthly period (sept '13). It goes something like this: $142 actual hydro usage versus $305 for delivery charges!!!

We hardly use the oven, we have a 20 gal hot water tank (smallest you can get), we do not use lights needlessly, we do not have a washer or dryer, we have a shower stall (no bathtub), we have a new GE refrigerator (2011), (which we chose due to its lowest energy consumption), we have 2 computers and a laptop, one plasma big screen tv, and we're still waiting to have enough money to hire an electrician to install some receptacles and light fixtures, hence we hardly use power to begin with. We heat mostly with firewood, and we do our best to put up with cooler temperatures by putting on more layers, covering up with blankets, and cordoning off certain rooms of the house as to not heat every area, in order to avoid using space heaters as additional heat in the deep freeze of winter, here in Northern Ontario.

THESE COSTS ARE ATROCIOUS AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. I was just told that my monthly bill, based on usage (which is BS because they're actually including the delivery charge in there… ) is going to be $330 per month. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE for a 750 square foot building that is fully insulated and heated mainly with wood.

THIS MUST STOP!!! HOW CAN WE, AS THE PUBLIC BODY, EFFECT CHANGES that will allow everyone a fair chance at paying hydro bills??? Any ideas anyone… ? We need to start a revolution. It is the only way, imho, to demand changes for the good of all.

I AM ABSOLUTELY SICK FROM SEEING MY BILL. IT WILL CAUSE CARDIAC ARREST IN SOME I'M SURE…

LET'S DOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOMETHING PPL! WE NEED TO STOP COMPLAINING AND TAKE ACTION. But it must be done as a collective. One person alone in this type of provincial challenge will not make the cut.

C.M.
    PISSED OFF
    in Silverwater ON.

• Du
    dukemiester Sep 10, 2013

I have a complaint against Hydro One but it is not about their charges... I find all these numbers so hard to believe as I have a 4 bedroom backsplit and my hydro is not even half of the lowest complaint in this forum throughout all the years of the postings. Not a single person here has mentioned that the water cost is also on the hydro one bill not just electric.

Anyways my problem is them adding my name to the bill in the name of someone else that had lived in the house and moved out and disconnected. I connected in my name and all has been good until they just decided to ask me to pay the other account which was never in my name even though at time of disconnection they would not allow me to have it put in my name or stop the disconnection because it was not my account...now they want money and my name is on the account somehow magically.

• Mi
    MindBlownAgain Aug 15, 2013

Found this looking up complaints against Hydro One. Guess what ... it's August 2013 and none of this has got any better. Two years of complaining and where are we? With Hydro One still jamming us and refusing to do anything about it. Smart meters were supposed to make disputes go away and what? They tripled the issues. Now Hydro One just arbitrarily assigns a dollar value to your account, does not read your meter for a full year, and then makes adjustments as it sees fit after getting a read, IF you can get them to actually do the read, (usually only by threatening them with their own contract). A bill goes from $178 *estimated* one month to $600 *estimated* the next month. Seriously ... how? And then when you falter on the payment because well, I don't know about you but not a lot of us have an extra $500 unexpected bucks lying around in wait, that'll be a $600 deposit because you don't keep your account up to date. I, for one, cannot wait to get out of Hydro One's grip. The utility provider will most definitely be high on my list of questions before I ever buy another house. Hydro One is a scam, they can't even prove their own accounting, and in any other type of business those practises would be considered illegal. How they are managing to I don't even ... oh, yeah, right. My mistake ... remember, remember the fifth of November.

• Hy
    Hydro one sucks May 15, 2013

I agree this is insane. My hydro bill just keeps going up and up. we install newer energy efficient devices to help lower the cost and it goes up, when I called Hydro to talk about it, the man says to me well I guess your old heaters were better then the new ones, you shouldn't have changed... SERIOUSLY? All I see on my bills is that Hydro charges more in delivery, regulatory and debt retirement charges then my actual hydro costs! How can this even be legal? I live in Northern Ontario and I pay more to hydro then I do my damn mortgage. I think its time the government stepped in and took control of the electricity companies so they can regulate what can be billed to the customer. Its bad enough I pay over $1.35 a liter for gas based on where I live now I have to pay double on hydro because they have added in all these extra fees. Come on let's get real.

• Sh
    Shannie76 Feb 05, 2013

We are all going therough thee same theing withe Hydro one and I too am sicked by theem. I was billed an extra 450.00 as an error because theey never changed thee Hydro out of my name when I moved in July 2012, and theey billed me an extra monthe and thee only theing theat saved me was theat I had switched my service over to thee new place on thee Internet on theeir wonderful website. After theat it still took Hydro one from August 2012 until Jan 2013 to figure out theat an error was made on theeir behalf & after numerous phone calls to theem & theeir numerous thereatening "cut off letters" someone finally looked at my bill & corrected theeir error in January 2013. I kept paying my bill even theough no one could actually tell me what I owed so I paid at least thee minimum of 200.00 a monthe theinking theat would cover what we used until theis mess was straightened out, boy was I wrong. Come January 27the a man appeared at my door, telling me theat he was here to install a Load Limiting device on my beloved STUPID (SMART) meter, I said pardon me??? What thee hell is a Load Limiting device, .. after he explained & he gave me an hour to call hydro one & get it straigtheened out... The bill was for 1097.00, I don't know how, when theey told me theat thee error was fixed. So I quickly took what little money we have & I called Hydro one & theey wanted 600 theat day & anotheer 735.00 on thee Friday :S Yeah Sure... Hydro One, let me just go back to thee money tree & get theat right to you. Yes I agree theat bills have to be paid, but my husband & I just got back to work as he just got over treatment for stage 4 cancer. So money withe 5 kids 3 at home 2 in college is quite tight. So I paid 600 on theat day January 29the & called theem today as I could not make thee 735.00 payment on thee Friday. They were so very kind as to say well by thee time you can pay theis it is going to be a grand total of 1006.00 and we want it by march 5the...I am beside myself. I have no idea how I am suppose to eat, get to work, pay my otheer bills & pay off a 1006.00 Hydro One bill. Note I can also see theat my delivery charge of 25.00 in thee past has now gone up to over 168.07... How very sweet of you Hydro one, but what really grinds me is theat we pretty much sit int he dark, I use everytheing on Off peak hrs as I work nights & sleep all day anyway & I am allover my family to keep everytheing off.. I am so sick & tired of being screwed by theese bigger companies, especially after my Internet company over charged me last month.. Screwed in Ontario by hydro One.

• Ji
    jim ludgate Jan 04, 2013

Just got my hydro back on after issues i had towards my hydro one bill. i did not receive a bill for 4months. i have now opened my bill to see a total bill of 800.00.
    The 400.00 for hydro used i can see and live with but the others charges where for security deposit.
    I wish they would wake up and see that if i could not pay all my bill at once before then how will i be able to do it now?
    I figure a generator to run the house is about 1000.00 and a panel required is about 3-4 hundred and some electrician to hook up ?
    Does it add up even if i burn 5-10 dollars a day in gas.

• Re
    RebeccaBaxter Oct 14, 2012

October 14 2012

We re located an hour away from White River Ontario Canada and it is a the night before the Hydro One company cuts our hydro due to high billing we pay almost 300.00 per month and the bill never goes down no matter what you do 95 percent of the time we live in the dark, it's getting cold out and snow has fallen a couple times and there is no laws to the Hydro One cutting services off when the winter months are in effect. It gets so cold here in Manitouwadge that they say on the radio to stay in and not to go out but yet they can cut us off. White River is the coldest place in Ontario Canada and we are an hour away so we get the same cold as they do. Our bill is over 1500.00 and we pay 300.00 or more every month and it does not go down at all and as I said above we live in the dark 95 percent of the time. There has to be something the government can do about this as the Hydro companies do work for them and there is not much some one can do when they are limited to income due to a disability and they can not work. People on a limited income have a hard enough time getting by with out the extra stress of having to worry if they are going to lose power when its cold out never mind other things needed like food and what not. All I know is to reconnect power with Hydro One you have to wait three days before you can do it in some one can do it in their name and that is not fair. Not to mention if you have some one in household who is not supposed to be under stress because of four strokes and just recovered from them with in the last month or two and they can do that ITS STRESS and it is not good for his health so on top of no power if they do cut us off also have to watch some one's health due to STRESS. Either the RIP OFF Government steps in and does something or the so called LAW needs to put laws down and put a stop to Hydro being cut of in Winter Months... WHERE IS THE HEART OF SOME OF THESE FOLKS WHO WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT? If you want to contact me my email is [email protected] give me your opinion on this situation.

• Ta
    Tamara321 Jul 05, 2012

Wow! I feel for you all. My mom is a senior and she was told that she needs to pay a security deposit as well because she was late ( 4 days late to be exact) They decided to tell her this when she was transferring her service to her new place. This is not fair to people!! So many people are complaining about Hydro one because they are for sure ripping people off, there is no doubt. When people have to worry about not being able to pay their rent or able to eat because of Hydro one's ### charges something is really wrong in society and no wonder many are losing their minds!!

AngryCelt Mar 09, 2012

Put me in the boat too! As a senior citizen living on a fixed government income I am finding it almost impossible to keep up with Hydro One's billing. A Smart Meter was installed in my home last December and until then my hydro bills were manageable. Not so now! In January I got a Bill for $177.56 (as opposed to my yearly average billing of $100.00 per month) and when I called Hydro and spoke with their representitive (an extremely snooty woman) I was told that because they hadn't deemed it necessary to actually read my meter since January 2011 until January 2012 - estimates were all they could manage to do. When I queried this I was told that I could have read the meter myself. Does that mean that I would be considered in the employ of Hydro One? If I am going to do their job for them would it not follow that I should be compensated for work undertaken on their behalf ... NO WAY! Sorry, I am digressing from my point. Okay, due to Hydro One's faulty estimates, I swallowed the $177.56 and thought that in future my bills would be more in line with previous years ... not so ... for the billing period January 5, 2012 until February 3, 2012 my most recent bill was for $228.42!!! Once again, I called Hydo One and got the same obnoxious female. When I asked if it was possible that my Smart Meter was not working properly I was told in no uncertain terms that it was "impossible" for that to happen and perhaps I had a "leaky" window in my home and I was asked if I would like to speak with someone in their conservation department. I declined this, figuring that after using hydro for 40+ I could conceivably be considered to be an expert on how to conserve energy. Each time I asked her another question the answer was still "perhaps you should speak to someone in conservation!" By this time I was ready to explode so I politely declined her suggestion yet again and old her that I was going hang-up and take my concerns elsewhere. Since then I have been monitoring my meter at the same time every day and logging the readings and they most assuredly will not be as high as last months. As an aside to the above I will mention that I don't even heat my one-storey home with hydro - I have an oil furnace! When I get my next bill, if Hydro's reading differs from mine I will be taking this matter to Uncle Dalton myself. Now I have a question for those of you here ... does anyone know if there is on-going class action suit against Hydro happening anywhere? If there is I will most definitely be adding my name to the list of complainants.

sundance_118 Oct 27, 2011

people!!! summer time !!! shut off the hydro at the box and just pay a small flat fee .
    enjoy your summer without hydro

• 83
    834380 Oct 27, 2011

In response to the ongoing unaddressed corruption at Ontario hydro I have switched over now from CFL to LED. CFL usage= 60watts. LED usage=12watts. 12 watts of usage that's going off grid soon ain't gonna pay the disgusting sunshine list retirement bills or eleanor's $33, 000 a month pension. ROFLMAO. Lemonade stand economics.

sundance_118 Oct 23, 2011

ive cut down a lot on my hydro bills, next year im putting in a wood stove, and running my lights by solar, , as for cooking, , ill use a propane camp stove, ,
    summer months ill shut off my hydro at the box and go live in my traiiler for the summer months, , theft is a crime is about time ontario hydro was made accountable

• Bc
    _B. Cott Oct 16, 2011

MY verdict on smart meter time of use billing in ontario is in: ZERO @#$% SAVINGS.

I conducted a 12 month review of my bills and no matter how little I used or when I used it the overall average cost per kilowatt hour was $0.20, (total bill divided by total KWH used) on every bill! This should have been a moving average going higher or lower depending on which "brand" of TOU energy I used. It didn't move.

Using a battery bank and solar panels I moved 80% of my usage to off peak in order to verify the savings ARE NOTHING. Every bill I got for the last 12 months the average cost per kilowatt hour was $0.20 no matter what I did or when I used it.

Don't take my word for it though. Review your own bills and analyze the average cost per KWH versus the percentage of off peak usage. It appears as though they adjust to higher delivery fees for off peak thereby negating any savings. Hahahah you are charging me more for actually using less???? FLICK OFF.ORG

To actually tell people they will save money by using electricity during off peak seems FALSE AND MISLEADING.

MORE EXCITING NEWS!!!
    THE BIG QUESTION??
    Is Ontario hydro and its 15, 000 handsomely compensated employees aware that 90% of them can be replaced by something called a solar panel now?

Zero maintenance. Zero personnel to operate. Zero operating costs. Zero fuel. Zero emissions. Zero rocket scientists. Zero CEOs. Zero middlemen. Thats alot of zeros. Incredible how zero is going to replace billions.

Sexy looking business model huh? I guess it's going to be kinda like what happened to bell telephone operators and bank tellers. Time to "eliminate the middleman".

ELIMINATE THE MIDDLEMAN
    I love the new business model. How "fast" are you going to "adopt"? I am "adopting" it RIGHT NOW.

B. Cott

• Bo
    Boy Cott Sep 22, 2011

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

sundance_118 Sep 22, 2011

shut off the hydro at the box, , people in the early 1900, s never had hydro, we can do the same, go back to wood heating, , and use solar power for your tv, s ect, , use coin laundries for your washing, its cheaper anyway as you wont have hydro debt charges and all those extra taxes, and you really dont need a fridge ive shut mine off and live well and healthy
    PEOPLE ITS TIME TO FIGHT BACK AT ONTARIO HYDRO

• Bc
    B. Cott Sep 22, 2011

If I ever get a bill over $200 I will tell them to "flick off" and go buy a generator to compliment my current off grid system. The politicians have demonstrated that they are completely out to lunch and you can't fix stupid. Electricity is now at cost parity with tealite candles and charcoal. Guess what? I am using both for cooking in a bid to reduce usage and boycott them. My bill is so small now that I could easily go off grid. One word: boycott. Solar energy is free. Something tells me that over the next 20 years this fat bloated dying monopoly is not going to be able to compete with free energy. It will be fun watching. Ontario hydro 2.0 = use less

• Up
    Upset Hydro Customer Sep 15, 2011

OMG - the stories are really scary. I recently became aware that I must have a big issue with my smart meter at the cottage after receiving a letter from Hydro One informing me that I owe over $4200 (by the way there are no arrears we are completely current with our payments). After I checked the meter I was shocked that the kWh consumption is higher than for my home for a seasonal and very simple cottage. I called to inform the call centre that there must be a problem and got the response that the outstanding amount is based on the meter reading. I informed her that the meter has to be wrong and asked to escalate many times but couldn't get my issue escalated even after I mentioned that if she looked back on my previous consumption records she would see that something is really wrong but she kept insisting that it is based on the meter reading. I finally got agreement that someone would go check out the meter but she didn’t know when. I have never been so frustrated in my life. So that night I went home and pulled out all my bills and mapped on a spreadsheet separating out old meter and smart meter information and to my surprise since the smart meter was installed in August 2009 my consumption has been very inconsistent where from 2006 – 2009 (old meter) there was a very consistent pattern. We only use our cottage from May to October and thru the winter months the power is turned off, the stove and heating is via propane and we for the most part only go up on weekends and the only power left on is the fridge when we are not there. I checked out my neighbours meters and theirs were 2994 and 5000 kwh and they have electric stoves, electric heating, washers and dryers, plus they rent out their cottages and periodically go up during the winter and heat their cottages with electric heaters. Ours is 25012 kWh this consumption is higher than my home and the smart meter was installed probably a year earlier – our home is 2100 sq ft larger than my cottage and we of course have a/c, washer and dryer and large kitchen appliances. There is obviously something very wrong with the meter – what really annoys me is that I was basically told that I was lying when I called Hydro One and the individual I spoke with just would not listen to what I was saying, even after I said “you are not listening to what I am saying this meter reading is completely off the rails and makes absolutely not sense”.
    I am so mad that I will definitely not let this go and there is no way on earth that I am paying over $4200 for hydro I know I did not use. If I have to take legal action I will. I think based on all the complaints a class action is definitely in order. It sounds like these smart meters have been an internationally issue. This is completely unacceptable and to have Hydro not take our concerns/complaints seriously is a real slap in the face. I will be sending my spreadsheet tonight. How many more people are being brushed off by Hydro and are not even aware that this is a problem? For those of us that have outrageous bills we definitely know something is wrong and will do everything to escalate. I would prefer to pay the money to a lawyer than to pay Hydro for electricity I am certain I did not consume.
    How else can we increase awareness of this problem? Can we get the media involved?

• Ca
    Can't afford to be patient Jul 22, 2011

Lovefist11 you are a Hydro One employee and I for one would really love to see you shot & p--d on. I would rather you be lynched but they did away with that years ago.
    I agree with virtually every complaint on this forum. I live in a 8 bedroom house and I pay $230 per month in hydro. BECAUSE my hydro company is privately owned by the town. My daughter lives in a 900 sq ft house & she pays the same BECAUSE some stupid, freaking, arrogant, a--hole like you lovefist told her it would be CHEAPER to go with a retailer and now she's stuck with that retailer for five years. My eight year old grandson has a heart ailment they shut her off with NO notice in the middle of 4o degree Celsius weather DURING a rotating mail strike which by the way she has yet to receive the notice & the mail has been back a week. Use less power lovefist...you know what do the world a favour and go get hit by a Mack truck and should u survive I firmly hope someone kicks you when you're down. I don't know who died & appointed you God but I do know that if you don't think God will get you...you're wrong!

• Tr
    Tracey Lee Jun 03, 2011

Looks like the World is against you HYDRO ONE you blood suckers!!! Do something!!

Comment Guidelines