HughesNet.comworse than dialup!

C

After upgrading from 56k dialup to the hughesnet hn9000. I decided it was time to finally do the much needed updates from microsoft i had been put off.
While it was downloading, i called and canceled my dialup service from bellsouth (I have had for 10 years now) . Within 2 hours i had reached the fap usage limit (200mb / day) . I was unable to load a single webpage afterwards. The connection would timeout before i could even load the yahoo mail home page. I read over the paperwork and discovered the fap that i was never shown or told about. It was in there. I setup windows and my download manager to start at 3:15am daily and stop themselves at 6:45am. Unfortunately, during the night the router shutdown 16 times. The next day i was without internet service for 2 hours. It finally came back up. I decided to do a speed test. The 192. 168. 0. 1 page said i was nolonger limited by the fap so i began my test. About 10 seconds later, my net crashed for 2 more days. Customer service? Thats a joke! You could have better support from local teenagers.

When the net service came back (On its on without changing anything on router or computer) . I thought i'd just skip the tests and go straight to my online game (Played on dialup for 5+ years) . Guess what. . . It timed out. I was shocked that my new highspeed internet couldn't even keep up with a basic online game. After some packet logging, i discovered at 99% of the udp packets sent out never reached their destination. I was receiving random packets that were not for me. I was also receiving 1000's of malformed packets. I started to look through the router and discovered turbopage ttmp status was down and qos was off. Turbopage ttmp randomly turns on and off all day and each time it does my internet service goes out for around 15 minutes. Sad to say, i had a much more reliable service, ability to play my online game, cheaper bill, and actually got more downloaded and done with my dialup service. I'm going to turn my dialup backon.

My internet went down before i could post the message. I had to wait 2 hours just to submit this complaint. I'd recommend bellsouth dialup over hughesnet. Hoping verizon's gets a real highspeed wireless service here soon.

• De
    denham Apr 15, 2009

Smokey,
    Hughs. Net is not a company but only an e - mail address of one richard dobson (Fake) . Hughs. Net resides in peru. Contact with this individual is by e - mail or phone. Address is richard dobson, 645 pedro pascacio, mayobamba, san martin sm1, peru.
    E - mail [email protected] Net, phone 51 - [protected].
    I hope this has helped. Ps - his info was obtained from (Whois. Net)
    Denham69

• Xr
    xrandallx Aug 09, 2009

yes i agree 100 million % HUGHESNET SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS lol we have had them for 2 years and nothing but trouble. they are putting down more verizon dsl lines up the road so cant wait till we get that cause we are no longer under contract cause we filed a fcc complaint in april and it got resolved in may and they dropped our contract so we just pay month to month. gl with everything

madkow Aug 09, 2009

I agree...have had them for the last 10yrs. and every upgrade the service gets worse. It's still the only high speed we can get besides wildblue and from what I have heard and read about them...I will stay with hughsnet and my 200 meg very 24hours.

• Bu
    Bud Parker Sep 04, 2009

HughesNet misrepresents their service. The Fair Use Policy, that is not mentioned in the advertising, is an inducement for you to upgrade (for more money) to another level that is poor service, too!

Time to file complaints:

Sit down and think through your complaint and put it on paper. Try to leave out the shear opinion, like, “They Suck! Stick to the facts. The internet is rife with unsatisfied HughesNet customers. Let’s get together, pass info, and complain to the FTC and your Attorney General Office.

1. Federal Trade Commission
    The FTC site includes news and alerts, consumer protection and anti-trust information.
    www.ftc.gov/
    2. Google for your states Attorney General

HughesNet contact info:

HughesNet - Hughes.Net - Directway
    Phone: [protected]
    Fax: [protected]

11717 Exploration Lane
    Germantown, Maryland 20876
    It is best to write snail mail because the phone will often send you to Indonesia... No help there.

Joshua Ripton Jan 06, 2010

HughesNet is the worst ISP I have ever had!

My family and I recently moved down the road about a mile, for some reason our old DSL provider was out of reach. So we changed over to dial up through the same company (Fairpoint) upon the move. After about a week I couldn't take it, I thought this is the worst ISP I have ever experienced. Boy was I in for a shock. I saw a local TV ad for HughesNet and thought to myself, it’s got to be better then dial up 56k.

The HughesNet commercial advertises FREE standard installation. So this is great, high speed net and free installation...I'm hooked. So the technician shows up, of course we can't get the free installation which is TOTAL CRAP considering we have four satellite dishes on the house and a clear view of the S, SW sky. My friend from back in college, (who installs satellite dishes for a living) confirmed my two areas of attachment that I had recommended to the tech guy. But of course we get SCREWED and extra $275 for a custom installation. The tech then recommended that we install a pole with cement because yadda yadda yadda. So I said that’s fine do what you got to do but put it next to our deck post so it’s not in the way. He said that would be fine. I went to bed, since I had taken a night off from work to meet the tech guy, only to wake up and find that he had installed the pole about eight feet from where we had talked, t and drilled an extra hole into my NEW HOUSE, instead of running the wire where the other satellite cables go into the house. My excitement for high speed is the only thing that kept me from snapping on the guy.

So it's been a month now and I can't take it anymore. I must cancel my HughesNet account! We literally enjoyed the internet for probably ten hours in that month’s period of time. The CONSTANT disconnects, the inability to play a SIMPLE game online that dial up was able to play, the cost of nearly four times what we paid for dial up each month and the overall dissatisfaction during the installation process was too much to bare. On top of all this, upon canceling we find out that we were two days past the thirty day trial period that was NOT made known to us, in which case you can get out of the TWO YEAR SCAM they make you sign for half price disconnection fee or whatever it is, (I can't remember what it was exactly because I was so angry). A real company would have waved that fee anyways to prevent bad publicity through internet blogs and other means of expression. But not HughesNet! So now we are stuck paying $400 dollars to break the contract.

Then we get a little letter in the mail from our buddies at HughesNet. WE HAVE TO MAIL BACK THE SATELLITE/MODEM ETCETERA AT OUR OWN COST WITHIN 30 DAYS OR THEY FINE YOU ANOTHER $100! Then when they receive the crap, they then inspect it and can additionally charge you if "THEY SAY" the equipment is broken. Now how can a person prove or disprove it is broken if it is now in there possession? Or...you can pay a technician to come back to your house for $100 to inspect the equipment and take it off your hands, but not take the damn pole out of the middle of my lawn or fix the hole they drilled in my house.

So let me recap and add this up; day of missed work, (this number varies for each person that reads this) of $250, custom installation fee (which from my experience, I think the free installation is a bunch of crap and next to no one gets it for free) of $275, disconnection fee of $400, one month of service, (can’t remember how much it was so I'll say $50?) and to give the garbage back to them costs another $100. A grand total of $1075 for a month of the worst service I have ever seen, a pole stuck in my yard and a hole drilled into my house.

My words to the entire world are this, don't ever get HughesNet ever, if I could bankrupt that company I would, it is the worst service I have ever had the displeasure of barely using. If this gripe even stops one person from getting screwed by HughesNet, then I can die a happy man.