Complaints & Reviews

fair access and termination

I have been a stupid customer of first direcway and now hughesnet when I moved in february 07. I was hoping I didn't need it, but since i'm rural, I still did. It is the worst possible service in the history of the internet - they never tell you about their "fair access policy" until you go over your limit and your connection speed degrades to below dial-up. I go over the limit because my computer sometimes downloads system software - which exceeds their max. If you complain, you get told its your fault, and their is nothing you can do for 24 hours. I did just get told that there is now no limit if you download between 3and6am est!

Hughesnet is a rip-off. 4-6 times the price of dsl or dial-up. They have us without other options at their own will, they make up rules as they go along, without any notice and without any option to their customers to back out because of their service. If you are unhappy with their service - tough - you were stupid enough to get sucked into their false advertising and high-speed promises!

I can not wait for dsl to make it to me, my hughesnet dish will be on the curb as soon as possible. If you are thinking about getting hughesnet - don't unless you are like me and need it for your job, because dial-up just won't work. Its not worth the expense!!

• Yo
    Yoduki Dec 16, 2007

I have always been happy with DirecWay / Hughesnet. Their service and equipment worked as I expected for many years. Anytime a service issue would arise they handled it within 5 days max. at my house.
    My problem is with the new <b>fair access policy</b>. There is nothing fair nor unbound about this. If you go over some obscure limit within 24 hours, you loose service for 24 additional hours.
    I use my service heavily 2 days a week. The first day all is well. The second day, snail service. God forbid, I need to take a university test online, the second day. Three times last semester I had to retake a test because of Hughe$Pot. The professor said that it is my responsibility to provide a reliable internet connection. I pay for Hughe$Crap and I have to go 20 miles to take a test at the library. The library uses cable.
    All in all for me, HughesNet was GOOD until they became FAIR. Now they are just plain FAIR

• Ni
    Nikki May 31, 2008

I've had hughesnet for about 6 months now and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. I keep hoping DSL will eventually be available to me and I'm going to dump Hughesnet like a bad habit. I know I'll probably have to pay a termination fee, but it'll be worth it to get away from Hughesnet!

the worst customer service I have ever dealt with!

I have been waiting for over 8 weeks for a credit. I followed there RMA procedures to a "T". They would not even talk to me about until the 8 weeks have passed. They have the WORST customer service I have EVER dealt with.

• Tl
    T. lewis Mar 11, 2008

I am on the phone right now with level 2 tech support. After 3hours of asking why my telnet and ssh session to my office server(s) ( with 4 different internet server providers on 4 different gateways ) are being dropped after 15 seconds from when i login to them. I am told that they do not support telnet or ssh. I am like WTF are you talking about. So I ask Robert the tech to speak to a supervisor because that is not the answer you give someone like me who has 15 years working as a Network Engineer.

So I said to the supervisor "What a bull#&*$ answer I just got from your tech, let me ask you a question do you support ping?? I am getting a 42% packet loss right now Your own diag software in YOUR #$&*(%^% Receiver OS has ping are you going to tell me that you don't support ping??" "Please don't tell me that... because the people in Maryland are gonna look dumb when they get notice that a lawsuit has been filled against them for what you have said.."

So the super took a look and he is like damn you got a 40% packet loss here.. Guess we will have to look at seeing if there is a bigger problem that is going on.

So mike at level 2 HN tech support. You piece of lying buck passing crap. Realize now that not every call can BS'd through. Get out of the business.. You don't know what your doing. Your just a little punk answering the phone like a front desk cutie at a office.

• Cn
    cnjlarson Apr 06, 2011

I just had the exact same issues (and it's 2011) so i guess the network engineers at hughesnet/dway need fired because their service is still the same quality as it was 3 years ago. haha I even talked to a pouty lame [censor] named mike in level 3 support who tried to tell me that packet loss was normal (45%) for satellite. So .. when your service simply doesn't work 45% of the time -- that's normal. He insisted that I just needed to get used to [censor] service because satellite is only for people who can't get anything else. What kind of sales line is that? Speaking of sales pitches .. hughesnet says that they have some latency issues but in their advertising it is supposed to be like 1/2 second because the signal has to travel 45, 000 miles (at the speed of light) and by my calculations that's more like 1/4 second (45k/186k) but (I think out loud to myself) isn't low earth orbit more like 1200 miles maximum? How far away are these satellites anyways. Ironically, my super salesman in the tech department at hughesnet informed me that packet latency is acceptable anywhere from 2-3 seconds. So let me get this straight .. normally internet communications will have a latency of 25-100ms so after a three way handshake and a GET request and then a response from the server, we have between 125ms and 500ms (1/2 a second) to receive a completed response. However, it should be noted, that mike from hughesnet thinks that it is normal to have 15 second response times and we are assuming here that our requests are simple ones and didn't need to be fragmented into multiple parts adding several seconds (up to 6 with packet verification). How can service be so crappy that technical support says that unless we have a specific error then we can't resolve your problems and significant packet loss and latency issues aside (because we can't fix those) we need something real that we can blame on your browser or your router or on other parts of the ever so mysterious internet that are obviously completely out of our control.

having to pay the monthly fee after a death

My husband, David Moorman, passed away July 15 after a heart attack on July 14. He was a Hughes.net subsriber. Even after I submitted the death certificate which stated he died on July 15, 2007, I had to pay another month to Hughes in order to close Dave's VISA acct. I find it appalling, unethical, and every other unprintable word to charge for a service to someone who is dead. On top of grieving, managing our children, taking care of business, I got this from Hughes.net. They said I had to pay another month because it took me 4 weeks to FAX the death certificate. I did make the call 2 weeks after Dave died. Even though they got the certificate, they still charged me because it is their policy. I will tell everyone I know to never use Highes.net for anyhting. You make money off of poeple who are unable to use the Internet because they are already dead and gone. This is morally wrong, and frankly, they owe me money. Sincerely, Christine Ferrero

• Do
    Douglas Hanes Mar 25, 2008

I agree with you 100 percent, no download limit when I signed on with them and then all of a sudden they have a Fair Act Policy limiting your usage, I think there is enough of us that have been screwed by this same BS that a good attorney could file a class action lawsuit against Hughes Net and get some of our money refunded and the attorney could make enough to retire.

• Ar
    Art May 20, 2009

FYI...I have read through some of the complaints against the HughesNet high-speed internet service via satellite and have come to the conclusion that most folks don't really understand how the system works.
    First of all, it is not able to compete with the speeds or usage that the cable or dsl services offer. A satellite based system has restrictions that simply must be dealt with. As far as the restricted usage is concerned, if everyone was allowed to download as much as they wished anytime they wanted, it would bog the entire system down and interfere with everyone elses abillity to use it. But did you know that you can download as much as you want from 2am until 7am? That is because most folks are not using the system at that time so you cannot interfere with their usage. Did you also know the only 5% of the cable users use over half of its bandwidth? Hughes is simply trying to be fair to everyone. If you want to download more...then purchase a higher package. If you go over your usage, then you are slowed down for 24 hours only, then it picks back up again to its regular speeds. Hughes has improved the system as technology has improved over the years. The HN9000 has none of the issues the 6 and 7000 had. If you have had the system for a few years, it is worth the upgrade. If you upgrade, then cancel your old account so you don't get a double bill. If you do get a double bill, then they will correct it. Hughes has NEVER raised their package rates...NEVER, yet they have raised the speeds several times! I really cannot believe the silly complaints I have read on here. Sometimes the customer has to take some responsibility for their actions, computer operations...and deal with the fact that if you live in the country, then you have to deal with certain things. The satellite dishes allow us to access tv and internet sites that everyone in the cities have.
    I agree that dealing with the folks in India can be difficult, but use some patience and realize that no money is made on the Customer Service Dept. Hughes is simply trying to kep costs down so they can keep the rates down.
    Finally, I would like to state a simple fact...order from your Local Dealer and be aware of what you are ordering. The most important factor in your satisfaction is the Tech that installs the system for you. He/She is the only person you will see face to face. If the install is good and solid, then chances are you will be very happy with the service. But ifyou have a million Customers, you are bound to have a few that are not happy.

I am a HughesNet Tech, and I have seen the satellite industry grow and change and improve over the last 15 years. It is only getting better.

• Cj
    CJ Hart Feb 10, 2011

Hey dude above me ^, I understand(but find irritating) the need of the FAP, but the whole speed thing is outrageous. I have the 1mbps plan, and most of the time I'm getting 500kbps... Maybe! If the limitations are that bad, then they shouldn't claim the high speeds in the first place! "You get 2mbps download. Haha, just kidding, you only get 750kbps. Deal with it or fork over $400 to cancel." I bet that's what the tech support is saying if they spoke English. -_-

slow and unreliable internet connection

Ever since Hughes.Net offered to upgrade my system for a commitment of an additional 15 months on the service...

theft, illegally resticting usage!

We have had hughes.net since directway as well as direcway TV. The TV service has been dropped but as for the ISP its was all that was available for us. (A all to exploitable situation of a mjority of its customers) Well thats no longer the case amen.

The weather interruptions, the iced up dish and the year round garden hose fix are gone. But the service never provided anything near what was advertised. It is not even twice as fast as dial up and uploads... That it is advertised as high speed alone is proof enough of theft.

The technical support has a uncanny way of securing its own, and the customer suffers the consequences of this. They nuke your browser and let you find your way back to the servers or call tech support most all other isp leave a notice that such has accorded.

This off shore corporation "American INC." IS VERY DEFENSIVE. This complaint is being type up on a computer that is not currently connected to hughes.net. Last year about this time if I were to try and type or surf to any kind of consumer sites the page would not load or the browser would crash. It took several system recovery's and weeks to finally get to the Federal Communication site and form which upon being half completed the browser crashed that is how well they track their customers as they keep an identical copy of your machine on their servers. Unfortunately for Hughes.net the next day. The first thing on the Feds site that loaded was my uncompleted form and miraculously I was able to finish and send it with notice of reception. The first of which I was able to do well being a disgruntled customer! A little over a year and a half!

Immediately after this form was filled out the service went from being deviant to some what usable. They harass and sabotage their disgruntled customers like no other using allowing groups of their "loyal customers" and technical support to do it. They obviously make quite a bit of money out of dropped services with their 15 months "free sabotage" plan. I can not even keep track of the software that they figure is not secure enough for their service as you would never be notified it just would not load or work correctly.

The installer loaded a "pocket" disk into all the involved computers on the network which the ADMIN comp ran 45 minutes! Come to find out there was no need to install any software and resulting keylogging and root kits were dealt with for over 3 years, these programs had Dell stumped for over a year and the computer is pretty much useless today. If you were to have to log in for any reason , account info, e-mail you eventually lost control of the computer and the techs would nuke your machine with no notice or the hack would do it to.

If its all you got . You have my sympathy. If not the only people they really answer to they will keep you from communicating with their that bad, their illegal.

• Ti
    Timothy B Morton Nov 22, 2007

Ditto to all other complaints here. Want to know how to change it? Dump them, as I plan to do soon as I get my ducks in a row! Thats how you get things done wherever you live. When it costs them money, things will change. I got by without internet for 40 years. I think I can still. I cant hurt this company, but, damned if I'm gonna help them anymore!

I suggest if you are reading this because you are as dissatisfied with HughesNet as much as I and these other disgruntled people, YOU SHOULD DUMP THEM TOO!! Why pay for lies and scams???

We have to stick together as consumers!

• Za
    zach Jan 06, 2008

you should get a mac in place of the dell. lol

DIRECTWAY/HUGHES NET SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

poor customer service!

We had Hughes for about 7 years (started as Direcway). They SUCK! First of all, anytime you have a problem...

hughes net stinks!!!

Hughes Net stinks - their customer service is terrible. I have had to fax a copy of my checks 3 times to prove that they received my payment and cashed the check. I upgraded to the DW7000 over a year ago and have not seen very much difference from the old DW6000. If there was DSL where I live I would tell them to kiss where the sun don't shine!

My e-mail has been down 3 days now and all they can tell me is it is going to be fixed in about one hour - BULL! I work from home and am losing business, because I have to accept orders within 24 hours or they get sent to someone else. I asked if they were going to give discounts on the lose of service and the tech's comment was that there were too many people without the e-mail service, and that they would no be giving any discounts on the bill.

AT&T IS NOW OFFERING SATELLITE SERVICE!!! - I think it is just a little bit more on the month, but it will probably be worth it to get rid of THE STINKING HUGHESNET.

everything is bad about hughesnet!

Accept some wisdom. This service is horrible. I live in a remote area where there is no other internet...

fap's "fair access policy" is a fraud!

I am so fed up with Hughes.net. First of all I am constantly needing to reboot my modem after a few hours of...

charged $5.00 a month for invoice i'm not allowed to receive

The company I work for has been using Hughes Net for a few years (unfortunately for us). They recently started charging us $5.00 a month for an invoice. They shut off our service due to non payment. The funny part is we never received an invoice. When I called Hughes Net they stated we can no longer receive invoices by mail we have to register with Hughes Net online and download our bill that way. But we still have to pay the $5.00 invoice charge. Explain that one. If they are even only choice for service don't use the internet. It's not worth it.

customer beware!

I've read up on all the complaints posted by consumers on hughesnet, direcway and so forth and I just want to put my two cents in.

First off, I live in the armpit of Arkansas, down in a valley, next to a lake. DSL comes within five miles of our house but they won't extend it into our subdivision. Having been made to feel like a hobbit living under the grassy knoll, I tried dial-up. Unfortunately, the phone lines in my area were supplied within six months of the invention of the telephone, hence they are only slightly less useful than Morse code when it comes to telecommunication.

I lost my $65K job in January of 2005, one month after buying the house, so as you can imagine we were pretty much in deep doo-doo. I had to find work fast and I had worked as a medical transcriptionist at home in the past so I looked into that. Everything was gravy except no dial-up. You had to have broadband.

So my fun began at direct way. The installation cost $650, which I had to borrow from my mother, plus another $150 for something, I can't remember now, and it ended up being a sum total of over $700 charged to her credit card (which of course I paid back). The service was $59.99 a month but I was promised better than dial-up speeds.

Okay, first things first, they had to move the dish within six months because the ### who installed it didn't realize it will not broadcast through a mass of pine trees. They did not caulk the holes in the roof of my house so now the roof leaks, something of which we were not aware until after a heavy rain in 2006 and the ceiling caved in. They won't take responsibility for it, so we're just out of luck there.

So now they've made more holes in the roof of a two-story house, angled the dish appropriately so that there are no trees in the immediate range, and we're good to go, right?

Wrong. If a flock of birds flies between the dish and the selected satellite we're out of service for at least ten minutes. One cloud, one lousy cloud and we might as well hang it up. God forbid that it should rain, snow, mist, hail, sleet or the humidity increases.

Alrighty, so I lived with that crap, not being able to connect to my $59.99 per month internet at least 35% of the time, for a year. I was frustrated but at least I was working.

Then the 7000 upgrade came out and I could get the equipment for nothing. Woo hoo. I could live with that. So I called, asked for the upgrade, got it, installed it (using the power cord from the 6000) and voila - my service turned to crap within two weeks.

I unfortunately sold the 6000 on ebay so I don't have it anymore or I'd hook that back up.

All this time I really thought the equipment was bad, or I was an idiot, but come to find out it hasn't been the equipment or me all this time. It's been the FAP!!! Fair Access Policy, which limits daily downloads to 200 mb. Just saying that out loud gives me a wave of nausea. 200 mb a day for $59.99 a month.

We are also wedding photographers. I require a bit of bandwidth to upload web albums and the like, they aren't huge mind you, really very reasonable flash files, but I do require that from time to time.

I went for two days without internet in the last week just to "cycle" the system and allow me to have faster speeds for the weekend. Technical support told me a week ago that between the hours of 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. EST that I could download anything I wanted. He said "that'd be 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. your time. I didn't pay any attention but before I could blink again had my windows automatic updates set to 5 a.m. so I could avoid using my pittance of 200 mb a day.

So I'm thinking yay me, hughesnet is actually trying to help.

I live in CST. He was mistaken. He should have said 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. for me. I used up all my 200 mb allowance and was shut down again for OVER 24 hours this time. The next day, oddly enough, same thing.

I've already reported them to the BBB of Arkansas, the Attorney General's office of Arkansas and am thinking of finding some other regulatory agency to gripe at. I understand their frustration but they need to sell monthly GB packages. If you overuse, you pay packages. Something like that.

Everyone on hughesnet, give me a holler. I think we need to get up a gang and lynch them!

p.s. I'm using NetZero to post this as my hughesnet is down AGAIN.

Jay Sep 16, 2007

I completely agree, i have hughesnet mainly because cable was too expensive, but honestly being able to actually USE my internet seems worth the high cable costs. once i hit the download limit it takes 5 to ten minutes to load up google. GOOGLE. Lousy F.A.P.

But hey we get to download unlimited in the middle of the night.yay

• Bi
    Big O Jan 27, 2009

I moved to the Appalchian mountains so I have a similar problem. I called Direct TV and asked for bundled services for internet--I talked to some clearing house in India but they never told me I wasn't talking to Direct TV. They promised free installation, equipment etc for both TV and internet. They needed a partial payment for the first month so I stupidly gave them my visa for a $30 approved charge. They then turned around and sold my contract to Wild Blue. Wild Blue charged my visa $400 for the "free" equipment. I still haven't gotten that reversed--been fighting it since August. They also started charging my visa for the monthly bill and refused to give me a statement. I canx my visa and told them I would only send them a check--no more charges to the visa. They cut me off internet. Direct TV, inspite of setting the installation up, refuses to acknowlege responsibility for giving away my visa # without authorization. Satalite internet is a huge ripoff and we should ban together to fight it. I just retired for medical reasons and had to give up my home in Florida (foreclosure)--I sure as [email protected]#$ couldn't afford that $400 and would NEVER have authorized it. And the "service", when I had it was terrible! When you put a bull in with a cow you say the bull is servicing the cow--Wild Blue definitely serviced me!

• Dt
    dtojohns Sep 30, 2009

you will be lucky if you get the help your looking for from hughes i have the same system and i was told i would be able to download a certin amount of mb a day i can but i have to wait till 3 am and use it till 6 am and it still is not in the mb per second more like a phone line i also have a sprint wifi card witch is the same price per month and even on cloudy days with poor signals i get 100% better download speeds and im not limited to how many megabytes im alowed to download so i gave up the hughes.net and will never use them again, i think it is a type of scam to get people to order the product then if you want a faster service you will have to pay a larger amount 59.99 for 200 mb a day speed will definately be in the kb's slower than phone service after your hooked they will try to get more out of you the 79.99 package will give you 400 mb's a day but you still have to wait for the alowed time frames to get your speedy downloads but you can always move to the unlimedted dowload's BUT you speed is still the same untill the your time frame hits the proper time usually in the early hours there are certon time frames for every time zone...and if you dont pay for insurance for your system or the problem was caused by lightning, bugs, floods, etc and not from an internal malfunction be prepared to pay for the repare work i had to.

• Ro
    robert52630 Mar 17, 2010

Any FAP will do this, , , I was wanting to get usage of TV. But as soon as I started to stream, everything went slow.
    I am at fault to not know nothing about the FAP, and the computer I had wanted to use was in the shop that took almost a month to get fixed.
    So I am only a couple of weeks away from my contract. And will have to deal with a moble phone modem. Hey for $60.00 a month to have text, long distance and web browsing and even connect for a 15kb modem oh well.
    Yes just started to build my house too. And work fell out from under me too.
    Read everything about what you are wanting to buy. EVEN THE SMALL PRINT!!!

• Le
    Leon DiJusticia May 14, 2013

Hughes is the most inept entity on the planet. I had their DirecWay satellite system as DSL was unavailable to me for a number of years. It was barely better than dial-up. I ended up paying thousands of dollars to them for their ineptitude for upgrades due to their mismatch of equipment four times.
    My business was dependent on them. I went away on vacation and had all my computers in the shop for upgrades and servicing. When I got back from vacation I hooked up my equipment ready to begin work. But guess what... NO internet. I contacted Hughes and was told that I had exceeded my band width allowance and would be locked out for 48 hours. I asked how it was possible since none of my equipment was online that I could possibly have exceeded my bandwidth and was told that that wasn't THEIR problem. I spent EIGHT hours on the phone fighting with them. They were completely UNRESPONSIVE, UNSYMPATHETIC, told me that I was lying and were outright hostile. This after having had put up with their sorry service for FOUR long years. Thank goodness DSL had just been made available in my area. I was so angered I yanked every piece of their equipment out and took it to the dump. Hughes cost me THOUSANDS of dollars in lost income as well. I will not have ANYTHING to do with HUGHES ever again.

hostile customer service and embezzlement

For nearly 6 yrs I've had HughesNet (HN). Upload speed usually worse than dialup. Made upgrades HN suggested several times at additional cost, w / out improvement. Last upgrade, on 10/09/07 no improvement. Their install tech diagnosed the dish, not the modem, as needing to be upgraded to 2 Watt. On 10/15/2007 their tech installed the new dish. Charged 2X for the modem plus additional for the dish. Total charge about $1,1000. No refund given for duplicate modem, HN would not take return. On 05/23/2007, HN locked out service for overuse of band with previous evening, but no equipment was online. Argued with HN for 3.5 hrs. Contacted HN via online chat. Canceled HN service. went with Frontier DSL. Assured by HN that no further charges would be made. HN has continued to bill me. Charging my credit card $99.99 on 05/31/07. Spent 1 hr arguing with CS on the phone. Told that I had 2 accounts with HN. That they deactivated my inactive acct. They said shame on me, and that I would be charged another $300.00 for early deactivation of my "new" account, as they set new account when they sent me the upgraded dish. Asked for supervisor, another 1/2 hr later still on hold, no supervisor. I've contacting Credit Card company for dispute and am filing a formal complaint with TN Department of Consumer Affairs.

• Se
    SewDone Dec 02, 2014

customer service? Laughable!!! Ivan the "manager" did NOTHING but repeat himself over and over. Stole out of my account and opened up the account in my name even though I never even spoke to them. Someone else called in to open the account and advised the person to open up account in another name to reduce deposit. Also took out of my account MORE than automated service advised was the amount due earlier than automated service addvised, overdrafting my account and causing huge amounts of fees!

downloading and surfing problems

I started with Direcway and they sold to Hughes.net. Since that time the service has been horrible. I wa...

poor service and default of contract to provide adequate bandwidth

HughesNet client for 1 year now. I am a WISP Operator (Wireless Internet Service Provider).

When I first elected to utilize HughesNet at our NOC (Network Operations Center) HNS's service was not pitted against SkyBlue SISP (Satellite Internet Service Provider) in a competitive selling frenzy of a very finite resource which Hughes refuses to supplement.

In the last 6 months since HughesNet began going toe-to-toe with SkyBlue- and from then on HNS service to it's customers began to degrade on a daily basis.

At our NOC we have three .98meter commercial based systems from HughesNet, each site was originally contracted to provide 2MB/512Kbps Upstream/Downstream bandwidth. As of the last 3 weeks two of my VSAT's can barely provide a downstream speed of 700Kbps, a far cry from 2MB!

Since HNS began its competition against SkyBlue the FAP (Fair Access Policy) has undergone extensive hacking- not at all what I originally contracted for in the beginning. Not to mention that the network is extremely oversold in it's present condition. NOW according to HNS's FAP that has been radically re-authored states that HNS only has to provide UP TO 2MB downstream and UP TO 500Kbps upstream. YES, HNS changed their bandwidth provision in between FAP re-writes from 2MB/512 to 2MB/500. I don't recall receiving an addendum to my HNS contract which I had to sign agreeing to the new conditions! How on earth can I be held accountable when HNS refuses to be held accountable itself?

Last week while on the phone with HNS customer support I asked the valid question of how little did HNS have to provide? The rep informed me that the downstream speed could drop to as low as 500Kbps and the upstream speed would likely see 38Kbps.

Rather than throw a few OC3 connections onto an already overburdened system HNS elected to punish its clients with a newly revised FAP. In the days of DirecWay the FAP would throttle a user to a 1/3 of dialup (18Kbps) for 6-12 hours once he/she reached the allotted bandwidth transfer of 200MB.

Now that HughesNet has stepped in over DirecWay the FAP is really ugly! Now once a user reaches his/her bandwidth allotment of 200MB your account is throttled to 0Kbps for up to 24 hours, not a lick of bandwidth will come through your pipeline under this condition. This is not fitting into the scheme of things for my business as I am in the business of providing reliable connections wirelessly to my clients, except when HNS decides to FAP my system that is!

With 3 "Small Business" packages including 3 public IP blocks my company pays HNS roughly $750 for services monthly.

Just this morning I canceled service from 2 of the three HNS systems as I am going to deploy a fiber connected back-haul from Temecula to Anza where our NOC is.

When asked why I am cancelling, my replies to the HNS rep were:

* The two earthstations I ordered decommissioned this morning failed to be externally ping-able over 70% of the time therefore making access to my portals for wireless clients to log onto the Internet impossible most times.

* Extremely poor downstream speed, lately when I run bandwidth tests I am lucky to see 720.4Kbps.

* By depending on HughesNet as my primary bandwidth provider is hurting my business in a very bad way!

As I was informed by the rep at HNS that I would be penalized $300 early service termination fees for each of the two HNS systems I had decommissioned totaling $600! I informed the rep that I would not pay that fee as I am being punished for jumping ship from a provider that can't provide a dependable connection and it was hurting my business.

My question is how can I defete HNS and their $600 charge they claim they will send to HARD COLLECTIONS!

This is literally insane!

I mean come on folks, if I can't provide a usable service to you- how do I justify monetarily penalizing my client when he/she cancels service due to my failure to provide said services?

Also might I suggest what an un-named HNS billing department employee strongly suggested to forum users at www.broadbandreports.com to do... Get your credit card off of the payment system at HNS IMMEDIATELY! Call in and tell them you want to be placed onto Invoice Billing, it will cost you $5 a month more for this service, but is a far cry better than trying to get HNS to refund money to your credit card after and erroneous charge has been placed on it as this regularly does happen. Just call once a month and ask to pay by check to ensure service continuance.

One client mentioned by the HNS billing rep was steaming mad when he saw a $500 charge for service from HNS, not so bad you say huh? This person didn't even know who HNS was let alone own a HughesNet system to attain SISP from!

Regards
Pat Taylor

David Payne Jan 24, 2008

Hughes Net is a fraud and a scam. Anyone sucked into it should. Demand refund from your credit card company. They don't want to do it but insist that it was a fraudulent transaction and they are forced by law to comply. Cancel the card and get a different account. They know they can not win in any court.

John Jan 28, 2008

You are accurate however if you get your money back they will just turn you over to collections and ruin your credit report if you don't pay... Extortion! Pay me for a service you didn't get or I'll ruin you.

There needs to be a class action law suit to get these guys in line. Right now my situation is similar, fraction of the bandwidth they charged me for, they claim speeds aren't guarenteed. Well they guarentee themselves income for these non-guarenteed speeds. I got my $ back from my credit card company that's when the above happened so it's either repay or be ruined. I paid again under duress and filed a complaint with the Attorney General I hope they get what's coming, we'll see.

• On
    Onstage Mar 06, 2008

I beleave if all the hughesnet customers banded together , they would change the packages to better suit our needs, but people like that allways win because people will not band together and
    patition the company to change or loose the group as users.

If anyone is interested in forming a group like this contact me.

at [email protected]

• Ho
    hotlynks Nov 10, 2008

It seems to me I was right, people can disagree and complain about things but they will never have the guts to stand up and make them change, no wonder america is falling apart, like I said before people can complain but they never act, unless you want to prove me wrong and sign here

• Su
    Sue Apr 13, 2009

I was a customer for 3 years because I had no other option. I finally have DSL available to me and the $24.99/month service is FAR more reliable connection (I received an error message on 40% of all my attempts to load web pages) and 3x the speed as the Pro Plus plan from Hughesnet, costing $80/month. Now, after 3 years of use and fully paying all the expensive equipment costs, I am being charged $248 for 'EARLY' termination. I don't feel I should pay it, and would like to know if anyone else has defaulted on this payment. I believe there should be a class action suit against this company. They rip off people in rural areas that have no option but to pay their exorbitant prices and deal with their substandard service.

I intend to sign the petition at the address above, and hope for a proper resolution.

fraudulent services

Since Direcway became Hughesnet.com I have nothing but complaints to the company. Couldn't get on line, Couldn't send mail, dial-up speed. I even tried up-grading to new, faster router and pro service plan $20 more a month and I get freeze ups and slowest speed I ever had. I won't pay $69 a mon. for dial-up I can get for $10 a mon. I am changing services, however I live in a village of 350 people and only another satellite will be available I am going to try Wild Blue. Wish me luck.

• Le
    Lee Boatright Jul 21, 2007

I'm not sure these people really have a business plan that recognizes their customers as what pays their bills. The tech service in India is the worst. The people there may be competent but they are forced to operate from a play book instead of getting to the problem. If you follow their book your computer will be screwed up for sure. It's only after they tell you they can't help you, and you scream a few times at them, that they will give you a case number and phone number for the tech service in Florida - where they DO know how to fix your problems and can move right to it.

Last week their email service was down completely for more than a day - can you imagine that in today's tech world? Now it's down again for at least a day so far. Why don't they spend the extra nickel to get some people that really know how to run things.

Jan S. Aug 03, 2007

I agree, the service has been horrible and the speeds barely above dial up. I just called to upgrade my plan to the $69.99/mo. one and was informed that it would cost me $89.00/mo.

And to think if you live in an area with dsl or others services you pay less than half of that for at least 10X the speed. As soon as I can jump off this satellite bandwagon, I'm gone...

David Marcozzi Aug 17, 2007

Hey I agree with all the complaints that I have read here on this site. For each of us we are paying a high price for internet service and getting below dial up service. I call support told them i was having trouble with my system that my download speed had drop. They sent out a tech and said it was a filter out on the dish. The weekend as alway everyone likes to work the internet, but I find I still having a problem. I send a email to customer service and they send one back tell me about the this Fair Access Policy. Boy did I get hot when I found out about the policy. Yep I call the company and told them that paying for high speed connection and I want my system back online. I guess you know how that went. I could get better action from a undertaker. What office do you send a complaint to about these internet company who are ripping off the internet user. Do you tell the attorney general or someone in a government office maybe the better business office. If you look for another internet company to get there service. Is the other internet company also part of the same company, no one knows until its to late. Why are these company still in business and not shut down.

Mark Nov 28, 2007

I'll tell you what to do, You call the better business in washington DC and file a complain with them and discribe exactaly what is going on and you will be surprised how fast out internet service is fixed. We just need enough people to complain, I am an individual and got service and talked to the CEO and the ball got rolling. Hope this helps and please pass it on to everyone you no that has this Hughesnet. DO IT !! DO IT!!

Mary Jul 27, 2008

Mark has a good idea - to write BBB in Wash DC. I was told to write the FTC also which I plan to do. Don't know if it will help or not but it won't hurt to try. This company is the worst imaginable! But honestly I did not do enough homework before I signed up with them because I'm in a rural area and no DSL or other service available. Would have been better off to stay with dialup. It's definitely frustrating but so is Hughesnet!!! I'm six months into a two yr contract and I want out!

Marsh Keintz Aug 14, 2008

I have been a customer for years now with 7000s, 1.5 meg speed, never exceeding the 425 FAP, For the past
    2 weeks my speed at 11 am cst drops to 39-75 K (kilo) until 11 pm cst, then returns.
    India tech support will not transfer me to higher support.
    I can't be the only customer with this same problem.
    This is fraud loosing my speed for a consistant 10 hours daily and paying $83 monthly.
    i WILL cancel my debit card so they will be charging me $300 cancel fee, good bye
    Hughes Net, to think they are running TV ads for new customers.
    India Tech support said it's peak hours, but 75K and happens exactly the same hours.
    Bull and good bye hughes, I will be posting this on all my Tech support forums.
    more than 1 millon members will respect me.
    marsh_0x is my log in, Google knows me well.

Marsh

• Ld
    LDStechMD Sep 01, 2009

I have been with Hughes for 9 years (yes, I know it was Direcway then). I've been through the gammut of problems, and I'm a tech professional. I always have to tell them that each time i call tech support, altho I know they can note the account to show it. OK, so I humor them. Yes, complaints are going up, and service is going down. Definitely report what you find to where ever you can.

But also be honest. Anyway who says that Hughes is worse than dial-up - whey did you last deal with REAL dial-up? Even under FAP, you still get higher than 36Kbps - granted, with today's interent, it doesn't feel like it, but that's just the way it feels. I destest FAP, and it is anything BUT fair, but it still isn't dialup. Go ahead and change back to dailup and see.

If you didn't know about FAP before you signed on with Hughes, then blame yourself. Sure, it's a crock, it's inherently unfair, and it is very vague, but they put it right out there. You have to do a little looking for the fine print - with any service. Complain about their FAP policy, how vague, unintellegent, and unfair it is - but don't complain about them having it just because you didn't take the time to find out about it before hand.

spam mail

My old email address was able to come in (jetstreamwireless) and so my email is receiving over 5,000 spam emails. Please stop them.

• Ka
    Kay Graham Jun 25, 2007

I had email bounced back - I was told "we have recently received a large number of abuse complaints regarding your account (and or ISP). As a result, we have bounced your email message back to you.

This means your IP number has been blocked due to spamming activity by you or someone using the same IP address or IP address range from your ISP. You my wish to let your ISP know of the situation."

I DO NOT SPAM or abuse my account in anyway.

Kay Graham
    kranch @myway.com or [email protected]

• Ar
    ARTHUR ROBERTS Sep 13, 2007

NO SATISFACTION

inept customer service!

Every time I have an issue with Hughes (formerly Direcway) it takes hours upon hours to resolve it. The latest debacle came when I chose to upgrade to their new, faster modem. It arrived on May 1st and after following the installation directions and achieving failure, I called customer service. Well, after spending 10 minutes in voice mail hell, I finally got to the right person to help me install my new modem - or so I thought. After an hour and a half, "Abby" (not his real name - unfortunately, a person located in India) said he had to transfer me to advanced support (which is usually what happens when I have a problem - which I find to be a Godsend as the advanced support people are typically located in the US). Well guess what, I got disconnected and had to start all over again. After another trip through voice mail hell, I got "Neal". After repeating most everything I had discussed with Abby, I received another case number and he was able to transfer me to "Frappel" in advanced customer service. Well, after another hour with Frappel, it was decided that the modem that was shipped to me wasn't functioning, so he would arrange for a new modem to be shipped to my home.

Well, it arrived today. I read the paperwork and Hughes was actually going to charge me to send the non-functioning modem back! I blew my wig. After an hour of trying to get this situation resolved, while on the phone with "Rachel" (not her real name - a strong Indian accent), it was discovered that Hughes sent me a DW 7000 model (the version I currently own) not the HS 7000 model so now I have two modems to ship back. It took Rachel a few minutes to understand what I was saying and another ten to get another $20 credit to ship the second modem (which I have no use for) back. She said she would connect me to the department that would send me the correct HS 7000 model modem.

Well, I spoke with Brandy. I had to explain my entire situation again, another ten minutes and then she said she couldn't help me - wrong department. She then transferred me to someone who seemed miffed that I wanted to know his name. I explained what I needed and he said he would get the HN 7000 to me.

I am so sick and tired of dealing with the ineptitude of Hughes. If I wasn't in a situation to have satellite, I'd definitely dump them. They have no customer service. I've spent 5 hours this week trying to upgrade and am still in the same place I was when I started. If I could bill them my hourly rate, I'd be way ahead of the game. And they don't care how much time you need to spend on resolving their problems.

I can't wait to see what happens next week when I get my HS 7000 (hopefully). And now I have to make a trip to mail both of these modems back.

• Ka
    Kathie Lucas May 21, 2007

I have gone through the same ordeal with this company and they don't care. It has the worst customer service of any industry, bar none! They have us over a barrel and treat us as such. I would encourage anyone who has an alternative connection to stay with it. Do not sign up to deal with this company they don't deserve your money.

john williams May 21, 2007

There is no "customer service" at Hughesnet and they ought to stop the sham and rename the department, if there actually is one. I am going to cancel this service and I am furthermore going to tell 15 others in my community what my experience has been so they don't fall victim to this trap. And it IS a trap. The people on the phone are reading off of prompters and have absolutely no idea how to fix common, everyday problems of their making. The company needs to be reorganized or shut down and the sooner the better.

• Tr
    trisha robbins Aug 25, 2007

Maybe hughes net should go out of business??

I am a new Lightyear Representative and I signed a customer up for hughesnet service, because it was a service we offered. On the lightyear website it shows that hughes net offered a package with no up front fees~~~~obviously that was the package my customer wanted. I signed her up only to find out hughesnet lied about the no up front fees promotion! My customer was being charged over $400 just to get hooked up!!! I tried calling hughesnet and was on hold for an hour and still never spoke with a person!! I will be calling Lightyear Alliance to let them know what a bogus company hughesnet is, so that we can stop offering their services!! I am sure i will also be contacting the better business bureau!!

• Ca
    caleb kissling Oct 01, 2007

I'm on day four with Hughes net. I was told by the installer that the cost would be $250. After installation I was told that the cost was $399. I told him that I was quoted the former, and he acted like I was from another planet. I then asked if there is a promotion, and he said ahhh, yeah, but if you get one of those people, you'll not get someone to your house for weeks. THEY WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE I TALKED TO. I let it go, and enjoyed several days of fast service. Last night I spent 45 minutes on you tube, enjoying extreme sports. I went back online a little later and the speed was slower than dial up. It was useless. I called 'support', to find out after going through menu hell, and trying to understand the poor guy in India, that i had used up all my speed, and that I'd be cut off for 24 hours of almost no service. I find this hard to believe, or at least did until I've read some of the reports here....

I'd like the equipment taken out but I think I'm stuck with this system. It's a joke.

Thus if you're thinking about this system, don't go for it. I wish I'd looked into it before now.

David Threet Oct 07, 2007

What I say about HughesNET, pull a Nancy Regan and Just Say NO!!!

Worse thing I ever done and most expensive. I have only had this system since April which I don't like but have been living with. I called in on 9-28-2007 because I wanted to pay off the equipment financing. I took a forever for the agent to understand what I wanted to do. The agent was like you have to take care of the balance due first. Well heck I had just paid it a couple weeks ago and next payment was not due till 10-18-2007. So I just paid it the $106.00 which is my normal bill with there $5 paper statement fee. Then she was like ok you owe $400.00 on your system. I was like ok that's fine. She took my $400.00 payment. Two-three days later I get a bill for $800.00. I with two $400.00 equipment payment line items. So I go online and look and see, shows my credit card payment posted and a remainder balance of $400.00. So I didn't thank much of it and emailed [email protected] and requested someone e-mail me back with a resolution. Only reply I got was the auto-generated one. After a week I went back to my account online. same deal. So I decided to call. The young philipino was like no sir those charges are valid. We don't reverse valid charges. Could not make her understand what i was saying. Last time I checked there was only wane pimp size dish on my house. She is like no sir you have two systems. I just hung up and thought I would tried it again the next day. Lord same deal, it would be nice if they would stop reading scripts and listen. After the "No Sir I can't help you" I asked for a manager. Well got a manager and all of a sudden the system went down for maintenance. I explained the entire thing to her and she was like sir I cant help you. Then I asked is the scheduled maintenance you have an estimated time frame it will be done. No sir we don't know. So I just hung up went online I could look at my account, not sure why she couldn't. So I tried another e-mail. I am being to wonder if I am ever going to get this fixed. I get a letter that DSL is going to be in my area soon from AT&T. You better bet I'll be paying that $300.00 early contract fee. Same speed not bandwidth limit and $19.95 no contract. I am going to post this on as many boards as I can find, and I hope I hit my bandwidth limit. My tech support experience has just been long and drawn out. One tech told me to unplug my modem for 10 days. I just don't call anymore. I hate it when you hit the wrong button or 0 there IVR says EXCUSE ME?. Now that's rude.

• Ro
    Robert R Watts Oct 28, 2007

Everyone who has satellite internet has this problem. Phone companies won't run DSL into remote areas, our Politicians could care less as long as BIG business in making money. Our jobs are send to some idiot foreign country so we can not understand them when we call for service.

There is a way to STOP all this! Nether you are Democrat or Republican, STOP VOTING FOR THESE IDIOTS AND VOTE THIRD PARTY.

If we in America do not send a strong message to these crooks who no longer represent us then all this ### will just keep going on...

terrible service! lies and more lies!

I've been a customer of Direcway and Hughes for 5 years now. Everything was fine before Hughes took...

their fap policies

Under hughes nets new FAP policy when you exceed (even though they seem to count with bigger numbers) your basic allowance, under their new policy they virtually shut you down for 24 hours. And by shut you down I mean way down. Even though they say your speeds will be reduced, I call reduced to 15 KB down to be atrocious to say the least.

The biggest rip off in the industry and furthermore you cannot talk to anyone about it, their tech support is a nightmare and letters to their corporate headquarters go completely ignored, never even an acknowledgment.

You escalate your complaint thru three or four techs who can't understand your problem and you ger some sort of third or higher lever tech who very rudely tells you that is the way it is and refuses to explain or elaborate.

Basically you can do nothing but pay their bill. I have been using four different speed analyzer programs since last October on HughesNet, one of the four is theirs. All four of them run back to back report within 2 or less percent of each other. HughesNet over the seven months I have been on have shown speeds in the 7 to 900 kb down at 6 AM to Noon then it starts a stead slide down to where from 7 to midnight you are lucky to exceed 90 kb down and sometimes as low as 6 kb down. This is consistent and has been every day for all of these seven months. But if you pose this to a tech they tell you bah humbug and writing corporate is a non-starter.

• Ba
    Barbara Chandler Jun 23, 2007

Hughes Net FAP policy is ridicules. I have had Hughes Net for a year and a half and it has been a nightmare from the start. As of late I have been slowed to speeds that are unusable every other day this week. I have contacted tech support but they are no help. If there are any class action lawsuits out there some one please contact me I would love to be a part of it. This is only a small part of my issues with Hughes Net. Even when I can go online the speed is terribly slow no where near what I am paying for. My 69.99 I thought was for unlimited high speed internet access but what a joke.I have no alternative except dial up and I am going back to that.

• Ki
    kim cogar Feb 22, 2008

Hughes net dont let them take you money'once you let them in your account they will take money out without permission. They will come out and set up their equipment without checking to see if you can get a line of sight; then they charge you and won't refund your money and they are to blame... dont give them money or sign anything they are thieves their people are rude and and they lie, and cheat people out of there money and give them nothing in return. Stay away from hughes net i have file papers to the attonery gemeral and fraud '''papers thru my bank they are crooks stay away.

• Ha
    hailstorm May 02, 2008

I heard what you guys said and honestly, you guys are full of doo doo. How can you say you lost lot's of money with business? You can't be making that much money to afford to lose that much business. If you have, you would've bought a T1 connection that is faster, reliable and more consistent at speakeasy.com. Go check it out. Pay for the damn install and pay $359 why don't you? If you're losing that much money and making so much money why not get a T1? That is what I'm talking about. You guys contradict and are hypocrite. I am a Verizon Fios customer and I love it every chance. My point in arguing with you guys because I happened to stumble this page and found you guys complaining which I have a friend who installs Direct T.V. and knows a friend who installs Fios. They said the same thing, why don't you guys just live in the city area or suburbs instead of in the country side? If you already into the contract deal. There is always a way to get out of it. Cancel your damn service. Why keep complaining? I still see the same people complaining on this damn board and yet they're still Hughes Net customers? Wow, seriously. Don't give me this excuse that they're the only choice you have. Nobody put a gun to your head and say you have no choice? This is America. Learn to make the right choices. If this is freaking slow than dial up. Then go to dial up. Prove that it's slower than satellite. Stop eating hays and raising corn fields. Learn to move with the technology. If you are not happy with the crappy service. You have a choice to not get any internet service. All these complaints don't serve any justice because it's been up since 2006. If you feel that you've been ripped off, then why sign the contract? Why go with the contract? Don't give me this crap you didn't know what you're getting into when the complaints are on-line and you had dial up before this service. Oh and I love the complaints about India, it's not like you rednecks who live in the boonies are pure Americans. How bout learning not to eat pork and beans and farting in a can all day and speak real American English for pete's sake! Move!!! If you know it's expensive to get this service then save your money and move and get VERIZON FIOS OR COMCAST! Stop making babies within families and living in remote location where King Kong and Tarzan can be found. Learn to associate with people because God forbid this board serves as your communication. Oh and last but not least. Who the hell would use an ISP e-mail provider? I've always use Google's G-mail, yahoo, msn or hotmail. They're free and way better! You can always use Outlook with some of them.

• De
    Debi Guerrero Oct 29, 2008

I agree completely, since 9/1 I've been dealing with Hughesnet regarding their inability to provide adequate service (under 100mb) and it's still not working. It took me over a month and hours upon hours of testing (for 3 days at a time - 3 times a day) plus hours upon hours of telephone "support" with a different "non American" tech. It takes about two weeks to get to level 4...level 1-3 (usually talk to about 10 by the time finished) all begin with "are all 5 lights on"...even if you explain that you've already spent hours and gone through all troubleshooting (plus the fact that I'm a computer tech and not stupid). Speaking of that word...it looks like we have an uneducated narcissistic judgemental person who believes that living in the city makes you "what", definitely not a better person and obviously not smarter? Most of us in the suburbs have already lived in the big city (me for 10 years) until finally getting smart and choosing to raise our children in a much better environment. Another obvious sign of ignorance are the stereotypical remarks...but, who knows, maybe if his mom decided to stop making babies, the world would be a better place. Opinions aren't fact, only opinions...unfortunately, the person expressing it doesn't have to pass any test.

Angela Nov 01, 2008

I had Hughes Net installed Sept. 19, 2008, the trouble started with my first bill which they took out of my account the next day! Now I have exceeded the FAP, my God what a mess. I have not had high speed internet now for 36 hours!! Every time I call they tell me to be patient it will be back up in a few hours. The last time I called they said that I was out of the FAP and now I should have my high speed back. Well I don't!! I sat here and timed the opening of a single page, 27 mins. and then it timed out, never opening. Dial up is slow but I never had problems like this. I am a full time student and switched to Hughes Net for homework purposes, but this doesn't seem to be doing any better than my dial up.

• Ji
    jimmyjack666 Oct 23, 2009

The Cat telling everyone that there stupid for living in the country is a ###, he obviously lives with his mom and she pays the bills. And that hughesnet is not responsible is again a ###, there FAP is ridiculous i get 450mb every 24 hrs. And I can say that it is incredibly low, but there support staff tells me it an enormous amount of data, LULZ ( MAYBE IN 1999). The funny thing is i reach half that in 2hrs of normal surfing, without downloading, without bittorrent, just plain surfing, and streaming. The versionfios lover doesn't have same service, if he did he would be on here too raisning hell cause he can few few his gay dating sites due to FAP. My best advise to u all is to just pick up the phone everyday and raise immortal hell like i do, usually im not doing anything anyway, so let the fun begin . Just last night i received a 97$ credit on my bill, all u guys have to do is raise a little hell and mention the Better Buisness Bureau . that worked for me . And everytime u reach ur fap call them and raise hell, they always seem to undo mine, but im not a nice guy im very blunt and i call em like i see em so get out them phones and let it ripp . Dont worry believe me they will get tired of u. PS: win there support answers the phone and they give u a english christian name but they obviously r some kind of ARAB, tell them u want to know there real name . That always seems to shake things up a bit LOL

unfair access policy

Check out the new Hughesnet "Fair Access Policy". If you use too much bandwidth than your plan allows, they...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices