Complaints & Reviews

poor service

None existent technical support, the people you talk to in India don't know what they are doing . FAP i...

billing mistakes-horrible service

In 5 weeks we have had to call in 5 times in order to fix billing issues and get our internet service...

not 30 day free trial - rip off

I can only echo the other complaints already stated and warn people to stay away from Hughesnet! Not only i...

the hughesnet run-a-round

Tech Support decided that our modem and our adapter cord needed replaced. A re-furbished modem is available from Tech Support for $140 with a 3 month warranty. The adapter cord was priced at $125.

However a NEW modem is available from Sales for $125 with a 15 month warranty.

On the other hand, Sales does not sell adapter cords. Back to Tech Support, where the adapter cord was now priced at $21.25. Ordered adapter cord. And all of this took an hour and a half.

Called back in two days (as I was told to do) to get tracking numbers. Not available.

Two hours and 17 minutes later, I had learned that the modems are on back order and will not be available for 4 - 8 weeks. The order I had placed for the adapter cord had an error, so it had to be re-ordered.

At every available opportunity I talked with a supervisor and told them how pathetic their customer service happens to be. I have no other internet service to turn to here in rural Ohio.

There are no discounts for good customers or senior citizens. But the aggravation is free of charge.

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

service and billing

I have paid 89.00 per month for internet service with Hughes.net. It has NEVER worked properly. Their...

fair access poliy details - scam

Hughesnet has an implemented Fair Access Policy (FAP) that when triggered will slow your speeds that YOU PAY FOR down to close to around 56k uplink speed. That means on their Home plan, you're paying $60/month for a certain speed but you're getting less that what you paid for. The worst thing about it is that in their FAQ (frequently asked questions) board, they suggest "upgrading" your service, which is about $15-20 for the next level of service, for only a minor increase in the download bandwidth. You only seem to get a decent download limit once you reach around $120 / month.

Hughenet is seemingly only satisfactory for the wealthier group (those who can afford their highest package) or for the less internet savvy group who only goes online for e-mail and informational searches. For those of us who like to download (whether it be illegal or not, that's up to you) such files as anti-virus programs, updates for our favorite programs, webcasts and the what not, it is totally unacceptable. Their justification for such downgrades in speed is an unrestricted download time between 3AM and 6AM.

To show the severity of their plans compared to the Fair access policy
I have added links to their FAQ site and pricing plan as well as their "Fair Access Policy" download limit page. I encourage all of you to read this thoroughly before deciding on Hughesnet,

Fair Access Policy - http://www.22hughesnet.com/fapolicy.cfm?hf=0

Pricing Plans - http://www.22hughesnet.com/plans.cfm

Fair Access Policy FAQ - http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/fap_faqs.htm

FAQ (regarding typical speeds) - http://www.22hughesnet.com/faq/internet-connection-speeds.cfm

• Do
    Donald Foust Feb 04, 2010

I have had problems with this also but can not get any help. I do not download videos, software, etc. yet every month they have slowed me to an almost complete stop until I purchase a $5 "token". I had safety downloads that need to be done and will have to stay up one night to do this.

What can we do to fight this and who can we turn to? This is a scam to get more money from us. I live on a fixed income and the monthly bill is over my limit as it is even though I have the "Home" plan.

Please, someone let us know who we can contact. Thank you for your help.

• Qu
    Quahog Apr 19, 2010

We had Hughes before this was implemented. What a pain in the ***?!!! It's almost impossible to download software updates without getting up in the middle of the night to use the "free" time. Don't buy into Hughes.net!
    We have been looking for an alternative and don't want to go with cable. There aren't many options where we are.

• He
    heathepw Nov 08, 2011

I've been a HughesNet customer for over 6 years and never had this problem until recently. I was away from home and did not use the HughesNet at all for two months but still paid over $70 per month for the service. So when I finally got home and watched two newer episodes of Law and Order SVU online and suddenly everything slowed to a crawl. I could hardly log on at all and when I did I would have to wait a long time to open my mail or look at anything. When I signed the contract I was told I had unlimited minutes and speed with the Pro plan I chose and now they want to go back on that. Seems to me like this is a breach of contract. I went with HughesNet because I live in a remote area and that was the only service I could get. Now I can get internet service bundled with my phone service for less than just the HughesNet Pro plan. I had not planned to change from HughesNet, but when somebody takes advantage of me I no longer have any use for them. Anyone up for a class action lawsuit? I can be reached at [email protected]

false advertisement/lying

Before signing up with hughes net i did internet searches to see what would be the best for my money. I wish i had found all the complaints on them before i had the service installed! I went through so much trouble just to make sure things would be installed with no problems and found out everything i knew about the service beforehand only to be lied to and to find out their advertisements and representatives are not telling the truth! I was assurred that my service would be "state of the art" and could go through trees for the signal, etc...as i had explained the past problems with tv satellite due to my trees. I also explained that there would be more than one computer used and a game system on my service. well after the installer came and telling me he couldnt put the satellite onto my house, i was charged over $700 to get this thing up and running. Then to have nothing but problems for the first few days and staying on the phone with hughesnet representatives who i could barely understand, they tell me the reason my service is sooooooooo slow at that time was because i had exceeded the fair act policy...I was like "huh?" First of all i hadn't used the service because of trouble getting it to work and then when i did get to browse and download some compute updates i am suddenly exceeding some limit that was not told to me in any way, shape or form. after i was told about this i went to check on there website for this information and found a section at the bottom of the page to click on to view a fair act policy but nothing to explain this nor was it listed with the packages to choose from.
I feel as if i have been totally shafted from the get go! the first man i spoke with lied to make a sale...and i have been consumed with trying to make this service work for me ever since. all they can say is "sorry your not happy but can i help you with something else today?"

overcharged

Last March, I spent $500 to get HughesNet satellite internet, because there was no cable or dsl in my area at...

awful company

Whatever you do. Do Not purchase this service. Painfully slow speeds. I even purchased the premium package which was supposed to guarantee super fast speeds. Didn't happen.

My biggest problem was with a internet based service that I use. It did not work with that at all. I called Hughes tech support 14 times over the course of 9 months and have case numbers to prove it. They do not speak english and each time I called it took no less than 45 minutes and sometimes an hour and a half.

All of this got me nowhere. When I requested that they let me out of the contract they told me that I would have to go through 5 different levels of tech support before they would consider an early termination. They even wanted me to stay home for 48 hrs over Christmas to wait for their tech support to call me. What a crock!!

I finally canceled the service but after disputing the charges I still had to pay the credit card company. I'm not through with these idiots.

• Mi
    Mickey Jan 03, 2009

When I signed up for hughesnet, there was no mention of any restrictions on how much you can download. I even told the salesman that I used remote desktop to monitor video security cameras at another location. The salesman told me that there are no restrictions but the speed, which can be upgraded for only $10.00 more per month. But the speed I signed up for should be enough to use remote desktop. The speed is OK for it, but after using remote desktop for a little more than 1 hour, I violated their fair access policy. After violating this policy, they throttle your speed down to less than dial-up. When I called regarding the slow down, they explained to me that I can upgrade to a plan that is double the price I signed up for ($120.00), and that would increase my download threshold to 500 mb per day. My original plan was for $60.00 and only allowed 200 mb per day. If I cancel after only 2 days, I am out the money for the installation, which is $335.00 !! I can not effectively use the service even if I upgrade my plan. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit, please contact me. If any lawyers reading this would like to start the class action suit, please contact me as well. I just don't know how to go about it, but something needs to be done. The policy is way too restrictive, and with the flash and video content popping up all over the net, it's only going to effect more and more people as time goes on. The max amount that you can download in a day is equal to playing an online game for 1-2 hours, or using remote desktop for 1-2 hours!!

Joe Blow Mar 25, 2009

If you want more download capacity subscribe to a higher package. This service has a specific application in rural areas where other forms of internet are not available. There is a free zone between 3:00-6:00 am to download whatever you need.

YOU STATED
    "When I signed up for hughesnet, there was no mention of any restrictions on how much you can download."
    DID YOU READ THE CONTRACT THAT YOU AGREED TO WHEN YOU SIGNED UP AT INSTALLATION? IT OUTLINES THE FAIR ACCESS POLICY. HOW IS IT HUGHESNET'S FAULT YOU CAN NOT READ WHAT YOU SIGN?

I use HughesNet at my business in a network with 5 computers. We have never bypassed the Fair Access Policy. Subscribe to a higher package, or don't use the service. Obviously, you don't have other options or you would have DSL, or Cable.

Last, if you don't like the service you can always go back to dial up ;) -or- Get WildBlue...they will throttle you down for a month when you bypass their Fair Access Policy! And their service is slower, less reliable, and lower download capacity.

This is what you get when living in an area without cable, or DSL. Be happy there is some form of service available. Quit complaining, and move back to civilization if internet is that important to you!

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

slow, expensive, bait and switch.

Recently ordered Hughes Net... already went through the Wild Blue fiasco. I thought something surely has to work for those of us in the rural areas. Suckered... again.

At first (trial period, can cancel anytime) speeds were fantastic. Pages loaded in record time, searches were quick, I was thrilled. Finally... I wasn't internet penalized for living on a farm.

Trial period ends. Guess what? Oh yeah. Slow as molassas in the winter. And now I'm in a two year contract, trial offer is over... will cost my next years' tuition just to cancel the doggone thing.

Sad.

mattj1064 Apr 02, 2009

I have had hughes.net for about two years and have had the same problem with it getting slower and slower.
    called for tech support and after on hour on the phone they agreed that i had a problem with there equipment.
    tech came to my house and found water in the little reflector on the end of the dish.(works as a magnifier) after digging in his van he found a used one and put it on and the speeds went back the way they were when I had it installed.
    he also informed me that the installer had not put the thing on right. and this had caused the problem.
    there is a o-ring and a clamp that is to be put on the back of this unit to keep out water and it was left off by the installer. but they still charged me for the service call to fix there installers mess up. (raw deal)

• Co
    Colleen Shannon Jul 03, 2017

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Signed up for the 30 day trial period and everything was great. After the trial period was over everything slowed down to a screeching halt. I called them and was told by the Hughes that during the trial period I was given the most expensive package, even though that is not what I signed up for! I told them this is a bait and switch. They agreed to give me the most expensive package at a discount. (Which was still $20 more than I agreed to in the first place). After six months the price shoots up again! I call and they tell me this was just a six month discount. Somebody needs to file a class action lawsuit and sue them. I am sick of being tricked by these companies.

fraud and cheating

I absolutely cannot believe this company is still in business. Against my better judgment and because I had no other options other than dial-up, I had this service installed about a month ago. The experience was the worst I've ever had on every level you can imagine.

The advertisement for me was free 'standard' installation, $99 activation fee and first months service upfront. Ordering the service went great! Of course it would be cause they haven't stuck it to you yet. A few days later, another company called to schedule the install (HughesNet apparently outsources this to independent contractors).

The technician came out on a really cold, rainy day and it was obvious he didn't want to be here but he checked out my house to figure out where to put the MONSTER dish. He told me that due to the way my house is and the trees around it that he could not do a 'standard' installation and me have optimal reception. To this day, I don't understand that because DirectTV had no issues like that when installing my satellite TV service.

At any rate, he determined the installation would include a pole. I asked how much it would be and he said no more than $125. Reluctantly, I agreed. He told me the size pole I needed was also not standard and he'd have to go buy it and return on a different day.

It was crunch time, I needed internet access that week in order to do my job (I work from home). My company was taking down a server that previously supported me through dial up so time was of the essence. I explained this to the technician and he promised he would have it installed in time to prevent any down time with my company. This was on a Tuesday. Due to his schedule, he told me he would try to be back on Friday but most likely it wouldn't be until Saturday. That was fine because the dial up server wouldn't be taken down until Friday so I really wouldn't need access until the following Monday. Friday came and I called to see if he would make it out that day. He told me he couldn't and we did expect this but he did say he'd be out the next day.

Saturday came and went and the tech not only didn't show but didn't call and didn't answer or respond to the numerous calls I made to him. I finally reached him on Sunday and asked if he could do the install that day so I could work the next day. His response was, 'I don't work on Sunday's'. NO apology or concern for the position that he has now put me in i.e. I won't have access to my companies system in order to work on Monday. Not to mention, the guy then proceeds to blame ME for the situation because I'm not a standard installation. HE KNEW THAT WHEN HE PROMISED TO HAVE THE INSTALLATION COMPLETED ON SATURDAY.

He then told me he'd be at my house to do the installation around noon on Monday. Ok, that wipes me out of a days work but I have no choice at that point. Monday comes along and he didn't show up until 4:30. Because of the late start, he couldn't complete the installation before it got dark so he quit and said he'd be back the next morning. Now at this point the pole, dish, and everything on the outside of the house had been installed and all that was left was putting the cables through the hole (that we ALREADY had drilled for him) and connecting the inside. We supplied him with a flood light to do this so we could be done with it but he refused and insisted 'he was done for the day'.

Great, another day of not being able to work. He comes back the next day and spends 3 hours completing the installation. He packs up his stuff and then informs me that I owe him a check for $295.00!!! The install, his words, 'would not be more than $125.00'. I am now furious!!! He says the size pole was extra, digging the hole was extra because my ground was too hard and it required extra effort to dig it, etc. He knew all of this when he quoted the $125.00. Of course I protested but the guy cared less and demanded his money. Now, I just wanted him out of my house and his attitude was starting to scare me. I was home alone and he was very intimidating.

I wrote the check just so I could get him out of my house and lock the door behind him. Did I mention he also left ALL of the packaging laying in my yard as well as the debris from the install?

I called the company he worked for and left a message. I sent a lengthy email to them detailing everything that transpired and never got a response from either. I also called HughesNet and reported the situation. They said they would make it right and I should expect a call back within 5 days. Never happened. I called again a week later, got the same thing 'you will hear from us in 5 days' never heard a word. Based on every complaint I've read on here, I now know, I am wasting my time trying to get justice from these losers with absolutely no integrity or honesty.

Now this was just the installation process, I haven't mentioned how bad the service sucks. It's slower than dial up much of the time and try to get somebody who speaks English on the phone, it won't happen. I've been on the phone with India several times since the install due to the slow speed and getting disconnected. After I had the install, I had another company come to install wireless networking in my house. This caused even more of a slow down in speed which HughesNet said would not happen. LIARS!!! Their India guy had me do all kinds of stuff to try to improve my speed but all he did was have me do something that disabled my wireless networking. I paid good money to have the wireless put in and now it doesn't work and I'll have to pay more to have that fixed too. Does HughesNet care? Hell no!!! They now have my money and a contract ensuring they'll continue to have my money for the next 2 years.

These people could care less about their customers, customer retention, their reputation or anything else. They take complete advantage of those of us in rural areas who HAVE NO OPTIONS. I think they know that as soon as we get other options in our rural areas, we will all drop them like a bad habit so they are scamming as much money out of us while they can.

If ever there is a class action suit filed, count me in. I have NEVER seen anything like this.

• De
    Denny Mar 10, 2009

• Sm
    Smith Mar 24, 2009

When we decided to move to the country, it took us nearly a month to find an Internet Service Provider who could help us. If you are outside the city limits, and surrounded by trees, you soon find that there are very few options other then satellite. We were assured by HughesNet that although there might be interruptions for weather, our speeds and downloads would be up to DSL capacity. After paying nearly $1, 000 to get hooked up (equipment and installation charges) we soon found out that there were some 'missing pieces' they left out of the sales pitch!!

The company uses Fair Access Policy act to limit the amount of download you can receive over a 24 hour period. We've never experienced the performance demonstrated in the commercials. Additionally, the service has gotten worse and worse until we have decided to just go get wireless cards.

I can't understand why the FCC or some other government agency doesn't come in and require that they tell the truth about their service. Sure, tell people 'if you live in a remote place - we are it!', but don't act like the speed will be the same as normal service.

Calling their Customer Service line gets you someone located in India at a call center. I feel badly for these people, as they probably have no idea what we are comparing our experiences to. They also have no power to issue credits or to fix anything. I've gotten through to someone in the U.S a couple of times, but only after waiting a week for a call back. It's amazing how they can get away with this!

If you are in the county and need service, go get a wireless card!

• Mo
    mosesmom Apr 06, 2009

I second your emotion.

• Ky
    KYHI Dec 22, 2010

HUGHESNET Residential Installation

The certified HughesNet installer will install your HughesNet system when it is convenient for you. The installer will provide the following equipment to complete your installation - HughesNet modem and the cable required to connect the modem, Antenna assembly, which includes the radio, and mounting hardware

A standard residential installation includes:

• A standard installation includes travel mileage to and from customer’s location.

• Installing the HughesNet modem and connecting it to one PC.

• Mounting and grounding the antenna to an outside wall, first level roof or any approved structure or surface with HNS standard roof/wall mounting brackets. Antenna must be accessible within 21 feet from ground level.
     Brick mounts and roof mounts over finished ceilings or living space’s are considered non-standard, restricted surfaces.
    − Antennas must be mounted a minimum of 5 ft. off the ground and out of reach of small children. (FCC Regulations)
    − Tri-mast MUST NOT be mounted on surfaces, building materials, or structures that cannot support the mount/dish assy. (Stucco, aluminum siding, vinyl siding, chimneys, trees, fences or any free-standing wooden posts, utility poles and metal roofs are not authorized mounting surfaces.)

• Drilling one point of entry, terminating on an exterior wall and installing one wall jack.

• Installing and routing two exterior RG-6 coaxial cables from the antenna assembly to the point of entry and terminating with a wall jack. A standard residential installation includes up to 100 ft. of cable. (Up to 150’ for .98m systems)

• Connecting up to 20’ of ground wire from the ground block to the required NEC-approved bonding point. (Service Panel Ground or Meter Panel)

• Installing and weather-sealing appropriate cable bushing, wall penetrations, and mounting locations.

• Using the installer’s laptop to test the HughesNet system to verify receipt of satellite signal and Antenna Cross Pole.

• Activating and commissioning your HughesNet system on your computer with your permission. Installer will also help you setup your billing and email accounts.

• Demonstrating your HughesNet system is operational by browsing the Internet.

• Cleaning up debris from your residence after the installation is complete.

• Completing the Installer Reference Sheet and obtaining your signature on the appropriate forms.

A standard residential installation does not include:

• Networking computers or connections to local area networks (LANs), Routers or Hubs, etc.
    • RG-6 coaxial cable over 100 ft. if your system uses a .74m antenna. (150 ft. for .98m systems)
    • Drilling more than one hole (Point Of Entry).
    • Installing the antenna at a location not accessible with a 24-ft. ladder or above 21’ off the ground.
    • Special cable requirements, such as routing coaxial cable through attics, basements, crawlspaces, decks or walls.
    • Complex or custom installations, such as special moldings, cosmetic hardware or routing to hide exposed cables.
    • Pole Mounts or Custom Mounts - if one is deemed necessary by your installer.
    • Removing or repairing previously mounted equipment.
    • Special site surveys to determine the optimal location for your HughesNet antenna. ($125 Service Fee Applies)

Note: Installers may charge a customer up to $125 to install a pole mount located within 25 feet of the customer's residence. (Antenna cables must be Buried / Protected). Pole mounts that are installed more than 25 feet away from the residence or that are more then 6 feet out of the ground are considered non-standard.

service doesn't even work

I too had the same problems with the over-pricing. I was told the $100.00 installation would not apply and then when the serviceman arrived my roof was not good enough to put the dish on and a pole was installed for the dish for an extra charge of $150.00. No copies were left of anything that I had to sign. I was told I was locked into a 2 year contract. Now the internet doesn't even work though the "blue lights" function all the time. Needless to say, I am using Verizon broadband to report all this! Hughesnet will not get paid, however, I am cancelling the service, and reporting them to the BBB and cancelling bank payment for failure of services.

fighting for no service

It sounds like I'm not the only one that has had serious problems with HughesNet. I signed up for their service the end of December, 2008. I also had problems with downloading.

My service was supposed to be buying the equipment for $20/month on top of my regular bill. On January 16, 2009, they cut off my service because they said I owed them $400 for the equipment plus the monthly fee. I called them, and they said I had to fax them a copy of the agreement, which I never got a copy of. The only thing I have is the copy of the pole installation - which cost me $135.

I have been fighting with them ever since to try to get shipping labels to send the equipment back to them. And now they've turned me in to a collection agency.

And the fight rages on . . .

I tell everyone I know not to get HughesNet. Their internet service is poor, and they're customer service is the worst I've ever seen. And I've been in other countries that aren't trained for customer service like we are in America - and the untrained were better than what I've had with HughesNet.

I hope my registering this complaint will help to save someone the struggle I'm going through with them.

• Bc
    bcwford Mar 15, 2009

Had them for 3 yrs nd they are the worst company out there.If the wind blows, raining, snowing or just a cloudy sky the service does not work.When you call them, they are hard to understand and can't fix the problem or say your antenna needs repair and want to charged you for it.They advertise that they have fast service and fast than dailup, well they are not and I think dailup is faster than my hughsnet service.Far as I am concern hughsnet is garbage.

• Be
    Beverly Foster Mar 22, 2009

I also have HughesNet...I might just as well have dial up. I have called customer support and basically was told it was my problem now since I signed a contract. We live in the country and are unable to get cable or fios. I can't wait until my contract runs out...I am done with HughesNet...does anyone else no a provider that is honest and cares about the service their customers get? I would like to start looking for another provider...if anyone knows a provider please email me at [email protected]

• Br
    Brenda May 30, 2009

I am also in a battle with Hughes net. I have had horrible internet service for years. It was getting ridiculous, butting I had to have a day to be able to talk to the techs in India, which never helped so it was always my last resource. Can we talk about the uploading at 3am, I had no knowledge of Fair access rule until I violated it a few times with OS upgrades. In the last year it has just been a nightmare to do anything online. I was told if I upgraded my service it would be fixed. If I upgraded I had to agree to another year of service. The upgrade never worked. I want to get out from under them as fast as I can. I went to Verizon for a trial thirty day run with their air card. I forgot how nice it is not to time out with my bank and not get dropped every five minutes. Shame on Hughes net.
    Here is the address to the main office
    Hughes Network Systems
    11717 Exploration Lane
    Germantown, MD 20876
    ATTN: Customer Service
    Acct #_____________
    Verizon has the answer for me I am still in the trial period but I already see the difference. AND its cheaper! I have a local store to go to if I have a problem, not some hard to understand guy in India named "Steve" I don't see how in the world they can run their commercial about being fast, Verizon kicked their butt. I live in a very remote area and I thought Hughes was my only option. I have a guest with the aircard and it worked fine here. I can't stand dealing with Hughes and I hope I never have to again.
    Brenda

• Ar
    Artec Jun 02, 2009

Hughesnet is the most disgusting, incompetent, uncaring company I have ever had to deal with EVER. They know that most of the people who contract for their "service" have no other options for Internet access, so they do whatever they please with no regard to their customers. I am currently embroiled in yet another issue with their technical support with no end in sight. They refuse to deal with the evidence but prefer to circumvent the problem. Yesterday they sent out a techy, who drove 100 miles to my residence with no replacement parts. Now I get to wait another 3-5 business days to set up another appointment. Why aren't these people working for the government where their stupidity would be more appreciated?

• Tr
    TroyandMegsMom Jun 18, 2009

You know, I just remembered when I initially called to set up the installation the lady told me that for an additional charge, I could have speedy service. For some reason I just thought that was unneccessary. LOL!!! That was the last time I spoke to an American.

• Ba
    barbara peeler Sep 05, 2009

well i have hughes net and the very first day i had it i couldn't do aything so i called customer service and they said i had exceeded my bandwith and i hadn't downloaded or uploaded anything the only thing that was downloaded was what the tech downloaded but they said it was from my computer and it was also done when noone was home i think hughes net is a rip off just like wildblue

awful experience

Well the repairman just left here from trying to 'fix' my Hughesnet satellite system AGAIN. According to them there is nothing wrong with my equipment. I was also just on the phone with customer support asking about the terrible upload and download speeds I have been having. The speeds I am getting right now at this moment are LESS than HALF of what was advertised/promised when I began this nightmare over a year ago. The customer service technician tried to make an analogy comparing the horrible speeds to many cars traveling down a busy road; meaning when there's alot of traffic it is congested and the speed is slow. My response to that was well if it is that congested why don't you build a BIGGER ROAD? Since i got up this morning at 6 a.m. (when the speed was good but unfortunately I was busy getting the kids off to school) I have watched the speed drop in half by 8 am and drop by HALF AGAIN by 10 a.m. According to their 'parameters' this is acceptable. What a load of crap. Something that doesn't work as it was advertised is of no use to me, especially something costing this much!

I might add this is not the only trouble I have had with them; 2 days after the original installation my modem went out and i had service only about half the time. They sent me a new modem but it was the wrong model and would not work with the dish I have. Then they got mad at me when I asked for a call tag to return the equipment. They actually expected me to return the modem at my cost. Ugh. Many phone calls later I finally got a repairman to come out. Not only did the modem need replacing, but the radio arm too.

Once the system was 'fixed' that time I then tried to recoup some of the money I had been shoveling their way, since i had sporadic or no service for about 6 months while they had me foolishly undoing cables and looking outside to see how the weather was, NOT WANTING to send a repairman although I had asked them to do so repeatedly in that 6 month period. Well, they didn't want to give us ANY credit on the bill, because I had stopped calling them every day. Go figure. I finally got a supervisor and asked her why in the world would I want to continue to call when they obviously weren't going to DO anything? I finally got one month free service for 6 months of B.S.

So now we are on the speed issue. If I quit my day job, and stay up all night in the middle of the night I guess it would be O.K. to use the computer then, but gee, I can't do that. The speeds are fine in the (late) night time and right when I get up to go to work, at 5 am. After that it all goes down the tubes. I can actually get a better connection speed on DIAL-Up!!

The last call to customer service really got me steamed. I can get a better speed they tell me (now) if I upgrade my plan for another 10 or 20 dollars a month, and go to the 'pro' or 'business' service plan. I think they have already gotten enough of my money, and I am not going to upgrade.

On a side note, they are launching a new satellite, and the speeds are supposed to be wonderful as it won't be bouncing your signal back and forth twice before it gets to it's destination. Too bad this privelige is going to be for NEW customers and not for the ones who are already pulling their hair out.

If you live in the boondocks like I do, for goodness sakes don't get a HughesNet system, go with another provider or you will be sorry.

• Lo
    Lorrie Davis Jun 30, 2009

It just makes me sick. I can't believe anyone can get away with what they are getting away with! Who do they think they are? Someday, we will all be rejoicing, I have no doubt, cause what they are doing is illegal, and someday they will pay!

• Po
    Polansky Oct 11, 2009

I have been a customer of Hughes Network Systems (HNS), formerly Direcway, for over 4 years. Living in a rural area with no DSL or cable access, a satellite system was (and still is), the only viable option over traditional phone line dial-up services. I originally paid over $500 for the initial satellite equipment and have paid a monthly fee for this service. I was also required to sign a commitment contract in the beginning, which I have since completed, but was continuing service on a monthly basis.

Since 8/11/07, my service has seriously degraded. No email via Outlook Express, no Mozilla Firefox access, sporadic IE (Internet Explorer) browsing at best, no secure site access. After at least 6 totally frustrating phone calls to customer service since 8/11, amounting to hours of talking to thick accented foreigners, jumping through hoops and turning my PC inside out, they finally told me that they are experiencing "technical problems" on their end, and their technicians were working on the problem.

When I asked for credit for time lost, but they told me they would not do it until the "problem" was resolved. Meanwhile, they continued to bill my credit card on file. Yesterday, 8/26/07, by accident, I discovered that HNS Customer Service was not telling me the truth. I visited a site called HughesNet Uncensored (via my new s-l-o-w dial-up ISP), a website dedicated to satellite users that I joined years ago, particularly HughesNet customers, which has help pages and forums to answer questions that users have, that are not readily available anywhere else--including the HughesNet site. In the forums, I found many HNS customers/users with older Dw3000 and Dw4000 modems were experiencing the exact same problems, and at the exact same time.

It seems my system Dw4000, as well as the Dw3000, which used to work just fine, are now obsolete by HNS standards. HNS, without telling their customers and users of these modems, are simply not going to update them to be compatible with their systems anymore, and in order to regain the internet service I was accustomed to, I must now upgrade to a Dn7000 system, but at a price.

My choices were $125 with no contract, or *free(with possible shipping) and a 15 month contract. AND, the access throughput(uplink and downlink speeds) are LESS than what I used to get, unless I upgrade my service package for ( you guessed it), MORE MONEY! Isn't extortion and consumer fraud illegal? Now I know why the customer service techs failed to mention important facts. It seems some users are getting better deals, depending on who they have talked to at HNS. Shouldn't someone have told me that I was being denied access unless I upgrade? I never agreed to this when I started my DW4000 service. Does HNS have an obligation to continue my service by whatever means necessary since I had, and continued to meet, my obligation to them? Without being forced to pay extra?

Besides being lied to for the past 2 weeks, I wasted hours of my time dealing with this company. As of 8/26/07, I was paying for service I was never going to get, unless I updated (which I had not discovered yet). I had already completed my original commitment years ago and I did not want to extend it. I told them that I refused to be extorted, to cancel my service (terminated 8/26/07) and that I was reporting them to my state attorney generals office, the FTC, FCC, and the BBB.

Then a lawyer. The only way I was able to stop the billing of my credit card was to cancel my service. Can they legally do this to me and all the other HughesNet customers out there who still are not aware of the true reason of their internet access problems? Can your cell phone provider simply cancel out the signal on your older cell phone in order to sell you a newer one or commit to another contract? Now I have HNS equipment that cannot be used and a painfully slow dial-up system, because of my refusal to be extorted into "upgrade or else".

fraudulent company

If you are in the county and need service, go get a wireless card!

• Ta
    Tavern in the Woods, Maine Oct 04, 2010

We've had Hughes for years (and Direct Way) and it's only getting worse. In May, we upgraded from a $59/mo plan to a $79/mo plan with new equipment and resetting the dish in a different location. (We are very, very rural here.) The installer convinces us that with new wireless router we'd have better connection on the laptops. So, we paid him $125 for a Net Gear router.
    We get time outs, can't connects, all the time. I have called Hughes several times; you have to go through all their hoops to get anywhere with them. (and yeah, like my guy's name was really "Eugene"--HA!) Anyway, after pulling out wires and relocating wires, he tells me it's the router, I have to call Net Gear. Well---guess what, there is NO serial number on this $125 router we bought, Net Gear won't even talk to me with no serial number. Back to Hughes, and all the hoops, AGAIN. Again, they insist it's the router and we have to go to Net Gear. I explained the issue to them, tough luck lady. I explained that we bought it from THEIR installer when he installed the dish. There was no packaging material left behind, the installer took it. There were no installation discs for the router, no manuals, nothing. I have no clue of what to do now. The installer will not get back to me via phone or email. I agree with Elmer "can't understand why the FCC or some other government agency doesn't come in and require that they tell the truth about their service. Sure, tell people 'if you live in a remote place - we are it!', but don't act like the speed will be the same as normal service." Land line phone companies and utility companies don't require service contracts. If the service is lousy, you should be able to cancel, whether it be internet, phone or whatever!

not a quality internet option

HughesNet Not a quality internet option. Below is the detail for the parent company: Hughes Communication...

too low mega bites

Hi I am complaing because we are only allowed 200 mega bites perday if we exceed that limit they slow us down. I didn't know that when we signed up and also I thought I would be getting a bill in the mail every month they deduct it from our savings account on the eighth of every month also when you call you deal with some forgein person from another country, I would like someone that understands english. That is my complaint. Thanks upset in michigan.Karen

• Di
    Dianne Clewien Jun 18, 2009

They do not give you a choice as to how to pay each month. In my case they debit my credit card. I agree with you on the MB that was not explained to us and again in my case they not only slow us down but since I use their email I'm locked out for 24 hours even though I am not over the MB limit.

scam rip off

If you don't believe what I am about to right I suggest you google HUGHESNET and see for yourself. I...

terrible company

So, we signed up for HughesNet several years ago, when they were still DirecWay. We paid the huge amount for equipment, almost $800, and the outrageous service fees. We were okay with the service for the first year and a half but as time passed on the service was getting slower and slower until it reached dial-up speeds.

We decided it was in our best interest to cancel the service and look for something else, so we did. After two months of being on dial up, the only thing available in our area, we called them back and signed back up, paying the $25 reconnect fee. After two months of the same old slow, pitiful, service, a storm came through our area and knocked our dish off.

We called the next day to have a technician to come out to reset the dish. After speaking on the phone with someone you can't half understand for 1+ hour, we were informed that the only we could have someone come to our house and reset the dish was to ...BUY A NEW MODEM!!!

The modem has nothing to do with the fact that the dish was out of whack?!?!?!?! They said that we could buy a refurbished model of the current modem for $125(which we had already paid OUTRAGEOUS amounts for.) If the modem did not fix the issue THEN we could pay the technician MORE money to resent the dish.

This is just their way of making you give them more money for their pitiful service.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DIRECWAY OR HUGHESNET, FORGET THEY EXIST!!!

• Sc
    Scrap Jul 15, 2008

This is the worst ISP I have ever had. Then I come to find out I have a 2yr contract (much like a cell phone) that I can not cancel without paying a fee of a couple of hundred dollars! This FAP policy is bogus. Says you can't go over the set downloading usage or your connection will slow to a speed slower than dial-up. - Which happens when I'm not even using the computer. Even when I haven't breached my downloading usage, I don't think this connection is any faster than any DSL I have ever had. My recommendation is steer clear of Hughes Net... WASTE OF MONEY!

• Gr
    greeneyeslynn Feb 04, 2009

I wish, I had researched this company before I made the mistake of believing their false T.V. advertisement. They have changed their Policy so much as to try and cover their ***. I had their service for only 2 months. I called Their Tech's. 28 times. It was always my system. Strange I have a new Dell computer. We all have the same story and I guess that's how they are stealing our money, let alone everything they can take from your account. Hughesnet sent our account to collections but we canceled our cards before they could rob us even more., especially if you say the word ( CANCEL). I guess now we have to find a way to clear our credit up but I guess they win in the end after all?

Mr. Hughesnet,
    How can you sllep at night?

• Vi
    Victor Mar 08, 2009

When my DirecWay DW7000 was installed (two years ago) I was not informed that there was a limit to how much I could download. Why? Because there was no limit! (Not to my knowledge anyway) 5 years ago when I had the old one-way system, there was no limit.

Now, without saying a thing (no email, snail mail or phone call) I have a cap on how much I can download. This gives me about 2-3 hours of streaming video per day. After that, I'm 'throttled down' to speeds slower than dial-up.

The real kicker is that the Hughes company is slow to give you this information, opting to instruct their 'service personnel' (guys in India) to get you to check your system for problems first. (My system has never had a breakdown...knock knock)

I finally got a tech guy (in India) to tell me about this FAP cap that had been implemented. He said, 'Just wait a few hours, your speed will come back'. The Hughes website (I found) says this, too. But, they LIE!

Once I reach my limit, it takes a full day (24 hours) to get my 'high speed' back. Until then, I'm screwed. Just think if they did this with DirecTV. That would mean you could only watch TV for 3 hours per day! I wonder how many people would cancel DirecTV if they did that?

On top of this, my bill went up $10 per month after Hughesnet took over. I wasn't even informed of the price increase! (I get no bill in the mail or email) Isn't this illegal?

Then, after searching the internet, I find out that the reason the FAP was inacted was because some people were selling their neighbors internet service. So, because other people are breaking the rules/law, my service has to suffer.

Also, if the Hughes system is 'bogging down' because of so many users, there should be a 'limit' on how many subscribers they can have...but that is definitely NOT the case! I've also heard that they don't offer this info about the FAP when you order your system. Scandalous!

This company is getting away with it! It will eventually come back to bite them in the @55! I plan on going back to dialup soon as I'm not paying $70 a month if I can't use it freely without worry of reaching my limit.

Plain & simple, these guys are just as big of a criminal as the people that are selling (sub-letting) their service to the guy next door. Had I known about these changes in my service, I would have never ordered it.

With the increase in streaming video on the internet, the demand on bandwidth will undoubtedly become more of a problem. So, this situation will only get worse. Until Hughesnet expands their system, they will lose their customers. I'm just another number to them. So are you!

• Ph
    phasung May 19, 2010

I agree I use to have Hughenet last year for about 6 month the first month is o.k on the bill I have Home Basic it was 59.00 first month than the second bill came 119.00 i say OMG I call Hughesnet customer Service why my bill is so high they told me is because Im renting the modem from hughesnet I told them I'm cancel my service they told me if I cancel my service they will contiune bill me up to 6 month so i call my credit company to stop payment so they did, after that hughenet send my bill to collector they call me everyday to collect the money for hughenet I told the bill collector you are invaded of privacy so i hire pro bono attorney after all that everything it was clear up on my case with hughenet

• Em
    EmilyRagsdale Oct 12, 2010

I had Hughes Net for 2 years, only because in my area it was the only option. After 2 years of dealing with their TERRIBLE tech support that can barely speak English and have no idea how to actually troubleshoot an issue I canceled my service on a Friday...That next TUESDAY a debt collector called me and was very nastily demanding $362.00. I called Hughes Net to find out why I owed this when 4 day prior I had been told I owed nothing and I was informed that the charge was for unreturned equipment (which is due to be returned within 45 days of end of service) and my last bill which had a due date of 10/29/10 (today’s date is 10/12/2010). So basically Hughes Net had a debt collector calling about a debt that was not even due yet.
    This company is TERRIBLE! go get broadband from Verizon!

fraud and cheating

Techstar installed equipment. Installer tried to force us to sign up for their internet support, stating HughesNet was so bad that we would spend all of our time on the phone to India. Techstar wanted another $18 to keep HughesNet working.

The service was suppose to be 1MB. It was never over 22KB. Techstar scheduled appointment to correct their shotty installation. Technician never showed up. When I called the local office, the guy said that he had sent the tech home for the day. I told him to cancel my service and pick up the equipment. He hung up on me.

I spent the next 2.5 hours on the phone, primarily to India. None of them spoke english beyond reading from a form. Eventually I got U.S. numbers but they were worthless. Ultimately I spoke to Anna, who was suppose to be a district office over Techstar. She was worthless. Told me if I took the satellite off of my roof, boxed it up and shipped the 50+ lbs. of equipment, at my expense, to MD; they would refund me $200 of my $476.96.

What a total scam. They have no intention of providing a service. Techstar makes their money installing and selling you additional technical support so they aren't going to help. HughesNet is so insulated by foreign countries and indifferent employees that they aren't going to help. After all, they have your money, what do they care.

American Express notified me that they didn't get adequate justification from HughesNet and credited me for the charge. HughesNet promptly turned it over to a collection agency.

Don't get involved with HughesNet or any of their contractors. They provide miserably inadequate service and are only out to take you for every dime they can get. I can't begin to tell you the grief they have caused.