HitachiLight engine problem

After being told to change my lamp at a cost of $300, and this did not help I called again and was told to have a service tech look at the TV. Gee, the tv's light engine is bad, imagine this. When calling Hitachi I talked to 3 people and since the tv is 4 years old they will not help. Consumers need to band together as this is a problem with the manufacturer of the light engine since it is a problem with other rear projectors.

Jun 15, 2007

I have Hitachi AC. The electronic circuit board of AC got damage. I called Hitachi Authorized Mechanic to solve the problem. He replaced the circuit Board with new one. He also did some soldering on circuit board. When he started the AC, the compressor of my new AC got damage due to faulty soldering on chip board. It might happened due to shortcircuit. This happened due to lack of technical knowledge to mechanic. Now who will trust on Hitachi Authorized Mechanic.

Jun 03, 2008

I had exactly the same problem with a 60V500 Hitachi TV. I too was told to replace the lamp and now I am told the the "color engine" is bad and will cost $1, 400 dollars to repair.

Jul 16, 2008

I feel everyone’s pain here!!! I contacted Hitachi via email and I was told to contact a Hitachi Service Center which I did and the technician reported the blue spot that appears in the upper left corner of my 60V500A (3.5 yrs old) was associated wit the light engine.

Eventually, I was contacted by Hitachi Customer Relations and I was told that they will NOT do anything at all. I am on my own. Customer Relations told me that only a small number of owners have had this problem and that it is considered "Normal" for failures of this type for a $4500.00 LCD TV. I told them that there is a expectation that a $4500.00 TV should perform well beyond 3.5 yrs and I might as well have been talking to a Crash Dummy.

I am convinced that Hitachi definitely is not in the business of taking care of it's customers!!! at least some of you have been met half way by being provided the part at no cost, but it also seems there are more of us that have not even been afforded that!!!

I just thought I would add my two cents worth.

• K
      Jul 22, 2008

The same thing happened to me too. My Hitachi 50VF820 LCD Projection is only 2.5 years old and the light/color engine is going out. In 2.5 years I've changed the lamp ($250), the remote quit working one week after the warranty went out, and now the light engine is going bad. I hear the repair for the light engine is at least $700+. I called and emailed Hitachi. Just like everyone else I got no help at all. They did give me the # of a Hitachi certified repair service. I googled the repair service and they had an unsatisfactory report from the Better Business Bureau!!!
    I realize I will have to get a new TV, but the thing is I am now reluctant to spend much money at all. I feel I have already been screwed out of $2000.

Aug 20, 2008

I feel your pain and I wish Hitachi would save face and replace the sorry light engines. I am on my second proj LCD and my last Hitachi product. My first was a 50V500 (50" proj LCD). It worked great for a little over a year then started to get a pink cloud in the middle of the screen that eventually took over the entire screen. Hitachi was no help. They were a big waste of time, but thankfully I purchased CC extended warranty. A service person came out and estimated the cost of a new light engine over $1100. CC then authorized a replacement TV. When deciding which TV to replace the 50v500 I was assured by the CC manager that they corrected the issue on the newer 50vf820 models. So like a fool I swapped the 50v500 with a new and improved 50vf820. What a mistake! It has been right at 2 yrs for the 50vf820 and I am now getting a yellow cloud beginning to take my TV over from the middle out. I guess they did not fix the issue and of course the warranty is out. I have heard this is a proj LCD TV issue across the brands, but have yet to see any postings on other brands to date. BUYER BEWARE. Stay clear of the Hitachi TVs. Service sucks, reliability sucks, like I mentioned I will NEVER buy another Hitachi TV.

• J
      Sep 02, 2008

I have a blue blob in the middle of the screen I was told it was the light engine, this tv was manufactured sept 2004 and I bought it in Oct 2005, I called Hitachi and was told there is nothing they can do it is out of warranty.

Sep 15, 2008

same with me...i am not ever gonna buy any hitachi products...i have a 50x50 hitachi...spent 3600 for this piece of ###...now hitachi people told that they could do nothing about it...overall beware of hitachi...they are not a fare company

• E
      Sep 17, 2008

yes folks another unhappy owner of a Hitachi 60v500. i have spoken with customer relations they told me there is NOTHING they can do. I have had this set for 4 years and hardly use it! Go figure $900 a year for a TV.

• J
      Sep 19, 2008

Got the same problem and it looks as if Hitachi will do nothing. Luckly I purchased an extended warranty with the dealer and will be knocking on there door soon to fix it. But is that really the point I mean if Hitachi owes every owner a new light engine why do I have to use an extended warranty to get one. I will be making sure that refurbished parts are not used in the repair.

• I
      Nov 04, 2008

You should all try this number for Hitachi.
    - taken from another site:
    Your Best Solution was excactly right, and the phone number to Hitachi Cust. Relations [protected]) was terrific info. They answer within moments. I informed them of my red cloud and fading picture and that I knew from the internet that they were well aware of it. As you said. And they said to have the technician speak to them while he was here at the house. So Sear's, came out the next day and I called Hitachi and they agreed to send the part to us directly for free and Sear's credited us the diagnostic fee of $105 and then charged us $242 total for the installation. Should have the part in a few days and Sear's will come out and install it the day after it arrives.

Nov 05, 2008

totally agreed !!
    They should not be allowed to sell in India

• M
      Nov 20, 2008

I HAVE A HITACHI 55 INCH PROJECTION TV SOLID OAK CABINET WITH BI-FOLD DOORS TO COVER THE SCREEN, ITS GOT TO BE ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD, AND IT STILL WORKS ! I'VE HAD OTHER HITACHI PRODUCTS, VCR'S, CAMERAS, etc. AND WHEN I WANTED TO GO HI-DEF, I HAD SUCH GOOD LUCK WITH HITACHI, I BOUGHT THIS HITACHI 60 " TV ( 60V500A ) I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH IT. HAD A GREAT PICTURE. TILL ABOUT 3 YEARS LATER AND NO PICTURE AT ALL ! THEN I CALLED HITACHI ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME FOR $250.00 I NEEDED A NEW LAMP. I SAID, OK, THINKING THIS WOULD TAKE CARE OF MY PROBLEM. IT WAS INSTALLED, I DID HAVE A SHARP CLEAR PICTURE, BUT THE COLORS WERE ALL REDS AND GREENS ! !THEN THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED A$900 LIGHT ENGINE !... I SAID, NOPE !!! VERY UNHAPPY !!!

• R
      Mar 10, 2009

I just got my part replaced for free. I have got a 50vs69a and it's light engine is shot. I brought it in today to get it confirmed that it was the light engine, picked it up, phoned Hitachi at 1-800-HITACHI and within 20 mintues of talking to the guy, he saiid they will replace the light engine and all I pay is the labour, about 200 bucks. I asked if they knew about the lawsuit taking place in the U.S. and he said ya, then I asked if the same light engine was in this TV as the 50V500 and he couldn't give me a straight answer. So all in all I got it covered, it just takes some patience and some talking to get it replaced.

Mar 11, 2009

My 50V500 was built in 2004 and is waaaaaay out of warranty. Hitachi replaced the light engine for free and all I had to do was find the least expensive repair shop to do it. $175 later I'm a relatively happy camper.

Mar 11, 2009

Correction, my 50V500 was built in August of 2003.
    Humbug77

• R
      May 19, 2009

I have a Hitachi 50VF820, it's broken 4 times! YES FOUR! Lamp, Light Engine, Color is terrible. This is the WORST TV I've ever bought.
    I purchased a warranty and still have had problems getting it repaired. Never Again will I buy a Hitachi TV!

Jun 15, 2009

I too have the same problem with my 50v710 and I'm presently filing the proper documents with my state attorney's office. Don't let Hitachi get away with this and complain-complain-complain, this is not right!

Jul 08, 2009

Add one more person to the bad light engine boat! We have a 3 1/2 year old 50v720 and the 2nd lamp just burned out. Replaced with new lamp last night, turned it on and now have the yellow cloud in the middle, with a blue band on the bottom of the screen. It seems like no model is imune to these faulty light engines. I haven't attempted to contact Hitachi yet - may just straight to our state Attorney General.
    I wonder if the attorney who filed the class action suit on the 50v500's would be willing to add all models to the suit?

Jul 10, 2009

I WILL NEVER BUY A HITACHI PRODUCT AGAIN!!!

I purchased the Hitachi 50" LCD projection TV (50V715) on 6/19/05. A few weeks ago a large yellow circle appeared on the screen. After doing extensive research and calling a local repair office I found out the issue is a defective light engine, a KNOWN DEFECT in this model. The replacement part is $400, installation is $300. Hitachi's response: "our product carries a one year warranty so this issue is not covered". I hope they end up in bankruptcy court like Chrysler and GM. That's what happens when you sell defective products and rip off consumers. They are being sued over the defective light engine . . . check out the link below:

Jul 10, 2009

You can PARTICIPATE IN THE LAWSUIT AGAINST HITACHI. . . read the article at the link below. An email address is provided if you would like to participate in the suit:

Aug 19, 2009

Model number 50v500 purchased 7/13/2004. The piece of crap stopped having a picture completely in September of 2004, a whopping 2 months later. I've had ice cream cones last longer than that. I did have an extended warranty and the bulb and ballast needed to be replaced. I wont go into details, but it was a huge chore with Hitachi just to get those parts to me. They were a nightmare to deal with on the phone. Two months after spending $3000 and I have to struggle to get a part for a new tv? What a joke.

Here we are 5 years later, and last year I started getting the red/blue blob in the middle of the screen. Now I have a huge yellow smudge on the right side of the screen. I am just now doing my net research and discovering what i am up against. How sad that another corporate piece of ### company like Hitachi has zero respect for its customers and zero pride in its products. I have an old school 45" Mitsubishi in my bedroom that has a perfect picture after 20 years. Purchase Hitachi again? Me? Surely you gest.

Sep 29, 2009

Same thing here, and I only recently learned about the lawsuit that had been filed against Hitachi in federal court in Dallas seeking class-action status (http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS145367+29-Aug-2008+PRN20080829) regarding the horrible way in which customers like us who'd spent thousands of dollars buying Hitachi LCD TVs have been treated after discovering a manufacturer's defect in the television. But I wasn't surprised. The company's callous disregard in this situation for the thousands of customers who had bought its LCD TVs was bound to catch up with them sooner or later.

In my case, I own a 60V500A, which cost more than $3, 400. I began noticing that in one part of the screen, the picture was appearing read and blurry. I called Hitachi and was told that the lamp needed replacing. So I spent the money on a new lamp and installed it, only to find the problem still there. I then went online and was absolutely stunned to read literally thousands of posts on numerous websites from angry Hitachi customers who had invested a lot of money in a variety of Hitachi LCD models, only to have the same problem. It's a failure of the optical engine which produces what is called "blooming" on the screen.

So I called a Hitachi-authorized service center to get a repair cost estimate, and they said they needed to see the TV to vefify the problem and give an accurate estimate. They charged $60 to come out and confirmed the problem. They also verified that it was a manufacturer's defect in the optical engine, and that Hitachi had been well aware of the problem since they first started manufacturing these units. When I told them that when the problem originally started, Hitachi said it was the light engine, he smiled and shook his head and said they knew what the problem was. They also told me Hitachi was providing no more new optical engines, so I'd have to buy a refurbished engine for $450 and the total repair cost would be around $800.

I called Hitachi back and asked why, if they had known about the problem since the beginning, that they told me the problem was the lamp, but was given no answer. I said that since it was a defect in manufacturing that they were well aware of, what would they do for me, and they responded absolutely nothing because the TVs 12-month warranty had expired! Now that explanation might work for a random problem that crops up, but not a manufacturer's defect that they had known about from the beginning but done nothing to address. Just as with automakers, even when warranties have expired on cars, they issue recalls to correct problems that are manufacturers defects---it's just the right thing to do.

So here I sit with a $3, 000+ TV that I already have to replace. Hitachi has done incredible damagae to their reputation in consumer electronics by their actions here---all you have to do is go online and enter 50V500, or 60V500 or the other model numbers to discover that. I've heard that they are getting out of the HDTV business, which is just as well. We don't need companies like this in the marketplace. Attorney Eric Pearson of Heygood, Orr, Reyes, Pearson, and Bartolomei, who represents the plaintiff, said, "Hitachi has been more than willing to take people's money for these TV sets and they should be more than willing to fix them. In some cases, people paid $3, 500 or more for these TVs. You can't take that kind of money and deliver a defective product." Exactly, or expect that consumers will EVER buy your products again after being treated like this. Glad to hear they're getting out of the HDTV market---others won't have to suffer their horrendous treatment.

Sep 29, 2009

I could not agree more. We have a 60V500A that we spent $3500 on and it is dire need of a light engine that I was told by Hitachi is not eligible to be replaced, because it has not failed before. What? I am not eligible for a repair because the unit has not already broken once. Alot of faith in the components you are installing in your $3500 televisions...

I am disgusted with Hitachi and I will never spend so much as dollar with this pathetic company again. They seem to forget that by spending a few dollars in comparison to alleviate the problem, by ignoring it they are crucifying themsleves. The cardinal rule in marketing is "The best form of advertising is WORD OF MOUTH.

They knowingly manuafactured a unit that had defective components in it. That is wrong and it is unfair. and now they are ignoring the consumers and by doing so, they are now facing a Class Action Lawsuit in Texas.

The customer service rep told me that since the lawsuit has been filed, they are restricted to how they help the customers with this issue. I would think, that now that a lawsuit has been filed, you would want to show the court that you are doing everything to alleviate this issue and assist the consumer in regaining your trust and confidence in the product. I guess not.

Oct 13, 2009

I have a 55vg825 with the same problems and I have been told the same stories by hitachi. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD THAT HITACHI IS WORTHLESS

• E
      Oct 15, 2009

I could not agree more with all the complaints here. I called and told them the problem about my light engine, but they had the nerve to play dumb on me! Hitachi knows about their defect, yet they can't help their customers!?

I can't believe how poorly we get treated, after paying 2, 000+ for their worthless Televisions...

• F
      Nov 03, 2009

yeah they are all crooks but zenith is pretty fair my tv was on a class action and with in one week they had the repair man at my home fixing it!!! good luck!!! i was just very lucky... cause the tech already had the light engine for another bad tv that they warrantied the whole tv, cause it had 3 problems!!! lucky huh???????

Nov 10, 2009

Same thing with my Lifght Engine on my Hitichi 50V500. Bought extended warrentty from Circut City, who IS NOW OUT OF BUSINESS!! $4300.00 latter, Iam screwed !!! does anyone have any suggestions for me, as to how to get Hitichi to repair this ?? Thank's [protected]@aol.com

Nov 15, 2009

I have the same problem with a 60V500A with the red blur, requiring an OpticalEngine. I note that I called the Customer Relations number, but was connected to Customer Service--they said it was now the sme department. They said that they could not do anything for me because it had not been repaired before. They gave me an address for the "Appeals Comittee"------------- has anyone had any experience with this--I am trying to decide whether I should present myself as a loyal Hitachi customer--which I used to be, or a pissed off customer joining the lawsuit. I paid almost $4000 for the TV and stand.

• C
      Nov 17, 2009

Bought a 60V500A 4 years ago. Cost me 5000$ canadian dollars. I'm from Canada. Canadians can be part of the lawsuit ?

• B
      Nov 19, 2009

We have the same problem with our Hitachi 50V710. We took the light engine apart, what do we have to lose at this point.

The problem part is the red color diode.

If anyone would like to sell that part from their junk Hitachi color engine, please let me know.

We just cannot afford to buy another tv at this time.

Thanks,

Pam

• N
      Dec 07, 2009

I just sat down trying to discover what is wrong with my TV and I can"t believe what I am reading. Does anyone have information how to keep track of this lawsuit? My TV is 4 years old and a blue haze is spreading along the side of the screen. Does this continue to get worse? Do other manufacturers have similar problems? I am sick about this!

Dec 12, 2009

Wow - sounds just like our problem! Hitachi said to replace the bulb on our 42V710 4-year old tv when our colors looked washed out green/yellow. Made the problem worse; more obvious. TV Repair person verified the problem was the light engine when we told him the Red, Green, Blue color only settings showed good red color, good green color, but the blue only option showed nothing but dark swirls and blotches all over the screen. Hitachi said our set was too old to support and said to contact their "appeals committee" if we didn't like it.
    Check out this corporate statement from Hitachi website, "The value we intend to foster and build upon is that of a company trusted by customers and society, a company fully responsible for its actions." Thanks for those beautiful words that mean nothing to me as a customer and member of society who has been ripped off by Hit-ow-chi.
    My husband's planning to take our yellowvision out back for target practice!!!

• S
      Dec 23, 2009

I had my light engine replace about 3 years ago and now I am having the same problem again. I am not surprised that there is a class action lawsuit in place. All I can say is that when I had the problem the first time and called Hitachi customer service about it, they were obviously covering their ### and were very careful not to not to make any claim that they somehow were negligent. I have a feeling that the problem will never be fully resolved and it will get swept under the rug. The reality is that the technology is already worn out. TVs cost a fraction of what they did 6 years ago, and the LCD projection TV market is long dead and buried.

Jan 16, 2010

Hitachi is a waste of time. You have all wasted your time dealing with problems and to make this short... my opinion is...cut and paste all these complaints and put them on one page. you are all correct and not alone

Feb 23, 2010

I've got a 50v715 with similar tales of woe. Around Thanksgiving, my brother pointed out a big yellow splotch in my picture that I never noticed.

I went looking to see if this was a symptom of a dying bulb, and ran across hundreds upon hundreds of complaints over this and similar problems.

I had my LE replaced within the 1 yr warranty period - it developed a green color band across the top, red color band across the bottom. That was in 2007.

I'll try contacting Hitachi, but I'm not holding my breath. Some complaints say you have a better chance if they fixed it once before.

Sure... as a techie... I'm all for new/better electronics... but first and foremost, I'm against huge wastes of money!

May 21, 2010

I just got off the phone with Hitachi and it was an absolute waste of time!!! If I had a small business and was selling the same kind of crap they are, the better business bureau would shut me down! How is it that Hitachi can get away with this?!?

• P
      Jun 03, 2010

I wish there was a class action suit against this unhelpful Japanese company. First new bulb, next light engine. You cant even buy one. They supposedly have been on backorder for 7 months. A 4000 dollar tv that has become worthless in four years. They offer no help whatsoever. It is what it is, a piece of Japanese crap.

• L
      Jun 09, 2010

god it sounds like we are all having the same problem. my 55inch Lcd hitachi developed a blue light in the middle of the picture we thought it was the lamp but we had replaced it about 1year ago, so now with all the comments that i am reading it sounds like thats not the problem. mad in el paso tx.

Aug 13, 2010

Ditto for me. My 50V500A is now about six years old, and the second light engine is now showing problems. First light engine failure was a red spot. This time, it's the evil growing blue blob. Gets larger and more pronounced as the set gets warm. Local repair contact quoted about $600.00 parts and labor, which I think he under shot a bit. First replacement, I got Hitachi to send the new engine but had to pay about $230 for the labor. So, six years in, my 50th birthday present has cost me about $350 for a bulb replacement after two years, the $230 labor on the first light engine replacement around 4 years, and now another $600-$700 for a second light engine replacement (with no help apparently this time from Hitachi). I can pick up a 55" Sony Bravia LCD at Wally World for around $1, 500. Hmmm...certainly no guarantee a second light engine would last any longer than a couple of years again. Seems like I be havin' some target practice on a Hitachi soon. Class Action, here I come...Dan G.

Sep 01, 2010

i have a hitachi and these people need to be shut down! any other brand would fix the problem @ there cost if it was the same problem happening to numerous customer! i am not impressed! and the when you call them the call center doesnt know a damn thing and wants you to right a damn letter ans wait 3-6weeks for a answer i mean come on seriously its your defective product fix it and it doesnt matter how old the item is come on really if you our the original owner they should fix rite then and there are they going to put it on there merchandise only last a year or two if your lucky and dont be supprised when you call to report the defective part and they dont do nothing about it!