Harley-Davidsonharley-davidson's lack of info to buyers

D

My compliant is that I have a 05 fat boy and it uses oil. I called harley-davidson customer service and they advised me that it was normal and within specs that new harley's use one quart of oil every 1500 miles. I feel harley-davidson should tell the customer that their new bike more than likely will be using oil. I sure would not buy a new vehicle if I know it will be using oil!!! Nothing is stated in owners manual about oil consumption and they recommend oil change at every 5,000 miles, my question to harley-davidson is why change the oil when I have to keep adding new oil every 1500 miles? If the general public was made aware of this issue, not many new harley's would be sold.

• Ed
    Ed Heverly Apr 09, 2007

I am a former phd mechanic from local dealers here where i live. I have worked on them for going on 32 yrs. Harley suckers you in to buying by the looks of the bike. They are very strict about what gets fixed under warranty. They have had alot of complaints over the years with their products. From 1995-1998, the fuel injected touring models smoked.the reason for this, they notched the left flywheel for the injector censor. This created a paddle wheel effect which threw oil from the flywheel up to the front of the rear cylinder and it blew by the rings. (i own one of these fuel injected pieces of junk.) my front rod bearings went south at 45000 miles.so then i purchased everything to make it carburated. Cost alot to do this but now it performs with using oil. In 1999 and up twin cam motors have so called piston cooling jets. Could be cause of your smoking.

• Ed
    Ed Heverly Apr 09, 2007

Like to correct some thing. My bike now runs without smoking or using oil at 1500 miles.

• Da
    dan caudill Jul 21, 2007

I bought an 07 v rod with security. What a nightmare. No info on how to set or delete security. Piss poor engineering. I have the bike but you never know when the security will work or not. It has stranded me twice. The manual says fob will not if in metal box or around a cell phone. The bike is made of metal and who does not carry a cell phone on a bike? What a joke! I have been riding for 30 plus years and I am done with harley! Hello BMW!

• Ro
    Robert Townsend May 07, 2008

A few years ago I was in a trafffic accident with my '03 superglide. I took it to William's harley davidson in New Jersey. The gas tank was dented and needed replacing. Harley sent a defective replacement tank to me and I rejected it. After repeated denials that the tank was defective, the dealer finally admitted that there was a problem and secured yet another tank for me. I received a call that the tank had been replaced and that the bike was finished. The next day i noticed that the defective tank was never replaced and that I had been lied to. Needless to say I will never use this dealership again and I would advise others not to do so either.

• Ka
    kaye clifton Jul 24, 2008

need a phone call from the office of the ceo on the warrenty that Allen, TX is not covering. 214-578-2083

• Hu
    hubbards Nov 21, 2008

I have been waiting three months for a new tank for my 04 night train, my fault was paying for it before shipping, the ### will keep my money for another three months before I get my part. Hello HONDA, here I come

• Hu
    hubbards Nov 21, 2008

Harley is a good bike, the japanese make better ones

Jagpreet pahwa Oct 14, 2018

Sent to jaipur dealerDunes Harley Davidson from kota which is 250 kms away from jaipur under warranty replacement of metre and battery failure .Parts not available before three months.Front metre water entered and stop working, They refused replacement which is very shocking for trusted services and brand.

• Ad
    [email protected] Apr 15, 2019

I purchased primary cover hardware(chrome) for $65 at a dealership only to have the allen heads strip out when the appropriate torque is applied. The bolts are too soft and the cost too much for a cheap product. The package says made in taiwan
    Part number 94053-03A.i would like the problem fixed and a refund. The bolts need to be at least #8

Comments
    Comments

• Ti
    Tim Redford Apr 27, 2019

My deal, I was supposed to be a co signer on the deal and instead they did it in just my mom's name.

• Bo
    Bobmunky Jun 01, 2019

Dropped off my 2016 CVO LTD at Texan HD on Wednesday afternoon, they were to fix BCM problems. A week later, I called (no contact from them). They said they had to order a new BCM. Another week later, they said dealer installed wiring harness was defective ($89 charge). After another week, I called & asked if bike was ready; picked up bike, rode

• Ca
    Captbay Sep 15, 2019

Took bike in 11/06/18 for engine overhaul. They had bike until 9/6/19. I picked it up after 10 months and it was still not put back together. I called at least once a month and got numerous excuses. They never called me with update on progress. I will never take to dealership again and will not buy another Harley.