Hampton Bay11 ft. dia. solar-powered patio umbrella

We bought a Hampton Bay cantilever umbrellas from HD. The umbrellas was made poorly, the metal handle enclosure broke (7 days after the warranty ran out). By the way, this is a metal fatigue issue. I called, the only choice I had was to buy a new unit, the company is aware of the issue, there are 44 complaints I have found on the matter and they do not offer a replacement part. I was absolutely told the warranty was out and I could buy a new umbrella. The only solution they offered was a small discount if I bought factory direct but I would have to pay $75 shipping and handling that resulted in the umbrella costing more if bought from the factory. I tried repeatedly to explain this is a design issue, it is dangerous and my child could have been hurt if she had been near the umbrella when it collapsed and the cantilever pole is more than heavy enough to break an arm of a child and with a sharp metal edge due to the break, it could easily cut off fingers considering the fact there was 40 pounds of weight slamming to the ground (the metal part that broke is the lower attachment point of the cantilever pole). I was told they were aware of the problem, but it was not possible to fix and if I wanted a replacement they would ship it as soon as they recieved payment.

• Kr
    Kris D. Jun 08, 2017

I had my exact same umbrella less than a year. 10 mph wind and a rib broke. They do NOT offer replacement ribs. New Umbrella top costs $120.00 and another $80.00 for shipping. Hampton Bay will never see another purchase from me. NOT HAPPY!!!

• Ea
    Eagles01 Jun 05, 2016

I had the same issue with this same umbrella. Not worth the money I paid for it. Only used it over a year, again right after the warranty expired. Don't buy, a waste of your money.