Green Dot Aid Planfake check

I received a check in the mail for 960.45 for a grant and to me it sounded great as I like many Americans are having financial problems, I did as asked and sent 400.00 via a greendot money pak and this check bounced my account and now I am worse off.. Marilyn Ritchie is the one who sent this check so please beware, and hopefully if ANY of them are reading this to get a laugh, I AM pressing charges and I WILL get my money back from this.

• Wh
    What were you finking? Sep 24, 2009

Seriously? You fell for this? While I feel for you, we have to do a better job of looking out for ourselves. Send me $500 and I'll investigate this for you. (j/k)

• People in america are going thru alot of stuff these days and when you see something like this you wanna just do it, but you do have to careful in what you do. I just got the same check in the mail today and i just kept reading it and i figured out what they were doing . Just read the fine print on the paper, its says that greendot aid plan has connections with these people thatgive this money out.OK if they send greendot the money then why cant they take out this commsion fee in advance.(just like if you paid me money to give to someone else and i get commision for it then i should take mine out first and then send it) well they say that they cant do that ok why not. its all bull****.

crystal,
    somewhere in north carolina

• Ca
    Cautiousone Nov 06, 2009

I also received a check from them, so glad I checked everything out first. They make it sound so real.

• Ca
    Cautiousone Nov 06, 2009

They need to stop these people

China Doll78 Nov 07, 2009

I got one too. Thanks for taking the time to write about it. That way it would stop others from making the same mistake.
    Will pray for you to get your money back.
    Thanks again for saving me the pain of going through the same thing.
    Good Luck and God Bless,
    Angel, In

• Bi
    bill linendoll Nov 08, 2009

i got the same thang last fri. i am going to the post office to see what i can do about bringing them up on mail fraud

• Mo
    mommifaery Nov 09, 2009

I am so glad to find info about this scam. I received a check from them last friday and have been debating whether or not I should go thru with it. It sounded too good to be true so I figured it probably was. Thanks for the information and I hope you can get your money back!

charles greene Nov 09, 2009

my wife recieve a check and i told her not to cash it .she will have problems later. the same lady marilyn ritchie also send this check and there no way to contact her .its a fake .so everybody be aware. thank you

• Wh
    whitexalbum Nov 10, 2009

I just recieved the same check.

I actually looked up the name, and it seems to belong to a dead woman. So not only is this person a jerk, but he's also a monster.

• Cu
    Cube the Ninja Nov 10, 2009

I also received this fake check from Marilyn Ritchie and the first thing I noticed was grammatical mistakes all over the instructions on how to pay "me my commission fee." I then went online and searched and searched for the trademarked name of GREENDOT Aid Plan and couldn't find anything. I even went and tried emailing for more information at the email address registered to Marilyn on www.sendgreendot.com and received no reply. Then I came across this complaint (the only thing on the web so far) and am thankful I didn't cash this check and get scammed for $10, 000. Thanks for your sacrifice, so sorry you got screwed.

• Na
    nazcarbuf Nov 10, 2009

I received the same check. It's so hard right now when a check for $10 would seem like a dream come true. But that saying "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" is what I always remember and google is what I always check !!

• Sh
    Shanlynne Nov 12, 2009

I received mine today!! It's too bad that people prey on others that are in financial need, which are the majority of Americans. Reading the letter, Marilyn Ritchie makes it sound so easy. That was my first inclination that something was up. No one just gives away $10, 000 so easily. Grant or not! The second was why a Greendot prepaid card? Why not a cashiers check, or M.O.? Thank goodness, I let my boyfriend handle these "scam" letters, I don't have the time for them. He read it and knew right away that the check would bounce and come back on my account! Sorry, for your lose and good luck getting your money back!! You should let us all know if we can help! Scams like this just aggravate the H*LL right out of me, cuz innocent people do get taken advantage of and scammers get off scott free!!!

• Ol
    Olsnl Nov 17, 2009

I got scammed. It seemed so real. I had just been online asking for information about grants two weeks before this came. I went to the bank and they cashed the check. I sent $401.00 back through greendot moneypak. The check had a watermark and everything. There is an id#8549. Surely there is someway through moneypak that these people or this person can be stopped. Marilyn Ritchie is fictional. If not, then this person needs to hide. This is amazing. Especially when I had just been applying for grants. Hope someone finds this person. I feel so stupid...

• Fu
    furygirl3132 Nov 19, 2009

I just received mine today and was seriously thinking about going to the bank today to cash the check. Things have been real difficult for us as well and with the holidays coming up this money sure would have been nice to have. I have been scammed like this once before and thank god my bank didn't press charges, but I had to pay over $1600 back. Thank you so much for the useful information. I will be taking some kind of action, just not sure what yet. Too good to be true!

• Fa
    FaFa Nov 20, 2009

I just opened my letter, too. I try very hard to live by "if it's too good to be true, then it usually is." It was so tempting at first to think maybe this isn't a scam. I have read and re-read this letter trying to understand how this all worked. I am a small business owner and money is tight right now. $10, 000 would certainly come in handy to get caught up on some bills. Then, of course, I went to the internet to check it out (what did we do before the internet). I am going to take my letter to the Postmaster also. This is a cruel, sick joke (Bernie Madoff) with so many people hurting right now. If you lost money doing this, I sympathize...I can see how it happened. I will keep you in my prayers. Thank God for this website!

• Df
    dfm Nov 20, 2009

My wife just got the check today, She was thinking it would be great to use it for the holidays and get caught up in some bills. first thing I told her is search the net and this was the first thing to come up. I think the FBI, BBB or someone like that should get involved to try to stop this S**T.

• Fb
    FB1 Nov 22, 2009

I just got the letter. The first tip something wasn't right was she wanted her commission within 5 days. That isn't enough time to deposit the check, have it bounce and your bank get back to you. The second tip was all the grammatical errors in the letter. I did check things out on the internet and even though Greendot Moneypacks, US Bank and MoneyGram Payment Systems are real and were easily found, Greendot aid plan was not (this site came up instead). I will be E-mailing the three companies that they are being used in a scam and inform the post office. Sorry for you folks that lost money with this crook. FB

• Sh
    shong Nov 23, 2009

SZ Indiana
    I had the same senario. It looked really real to me. I am very upset with this crooked person. The same peron sent the check with the same merchant # 8549. The check bounced at my bank!! I used the greendot money pac as was requested. I am very upset that I didn't check futher into this before I did it.!! Like read this!! I GOT SCAMMED!!

• He
    Heartlandwoman Nov 27, 2009

I just received my check today, same scam. Sorry for the ones that were taken in by this too-good-to-be-true "grant", but it was quite obvious on close inspection: First, you have to apply for grants; no one can apply on your behalf and then demand a commission for getting you a grant. Second, the logo on the check for USbank is quite blurry, and looks like they pulled it off a screenshot from the bank's website. Third, the routing number on the check doesn't exist.

I just spoke to a representative of USbanks in Minneapolis. They have a branch in KC that's about 2 miles from my home. I'm going to take that letter and fake check to them in the morning. They have procedures in place to follow in situations like, and perhaps they'll help to catch these crooks. I also emailed scans of the check and envelope to Green Dot so they may help authorities possibly catch the thieves. The merchant account with Green Dot seemed to still be active. I will probably stop by the post office also, since this is probably mail fraud, too.

This really really chaps my hide, that people are so low to pull something like this in these hard times, right at Christmastime.

I encourage everyone who has received one of these scam checks to notify the FBI, the post office, the MN Attorney General, their local news, whatever Let's not let these people get away!

• Cm
    cm42 Nov 28, 2009

I'm so sorry for everybody who got scammed on this horrible check thing, for they are a bunch of low life individuals who are nothing more then a pile of maggots living under a rock who would scam people out of their hard earn money to live the rich life. I got my letter today in the mail and was thankful I learned a lot about noticing a fake check it looks real but it has a lot of stupid mistakes in it. Using a dead woman's name is lower then low, what they are Satan's off springs or what. The check it self is signed by a Jenniffer Marlo, they want you to make a money purchase with a Green Dot money pak card and not with a Visa or MasterCard prepaid card because if you get the Visa or Mastercard they will be able to be tracked and with the Green Dot card they won't be able to be traced as easily. I'm turning my mail over to the FBI and let them handle it.

cm from Maryland
    didn't get Scam

• Il
    ILov2Run Nov 30, 2009

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to type these comments! I just got my check in the mail and was so excited to think that I would have some money for Christmas. I'm so glad for your comments or I too might have cashed it in desperation. I am truly sorry for the people who got scammed with this check and will keep you all in my prayers. Thank you again!

• Jn
    JNLewis Dec 01, 2009

Thank you all for your comments. This is so low for people to do such a thing. This week-end I attended my brother and sister-in law's funeral. They were killed in a train accident in Louisiana. Needless to say that I'm still in a daze so when I got the letter I read it then read it again but decided in my condition I wouldn't make any type of move until I research it further. The following day, I got on the internet to research the banks (USBank), the Greendot Aid Plan and tried to find information to see if this was truly legitimate even though my first thought was it was a scam but I was still hopeful; then I came across this article. Thank yo all. I do plan on sending a copy to the Dallas Morning News and TV station and hope this will prevent others from cashing the check. I will also take the advice and contact the FBI. People like this must be stop and if we all do our part perhaps the can find the person that is doing thins and lock them up and throw away the key

• In
    inkshop30 Dec 02, 2009

Thank you I also received a check today and if it wasn't for it being a scamming couple of months I to would have cashed the check. But in the last couple of months I have been offered lots of free money not only this scam but also through a craigs list add I placed.
    All offer lots of money for nothing. We as lots of Americans are in financial need now, even more that Christmas is around the corner. If they ask you to send money back to them it's fake In this world we all know "NOTHING IS FOR FREE" it's life. So beware of these offers!!
    Also other scams secret shopper They to send a check that looks real, ask you to cash it and wire the rest of the check after keeping money for your self back to them.They threw around a lot of big names "Walmart" as an example. " IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK AND IT QUACKS LIKE A DUCK MORE THAN LIKELY IT IS A DUCK" Buyer Beware.

• Al
    Alice from Maine Dec 03, 2009

I just received this check in the mail too. Neither my husband or I had ever heard of a Greendot Money Pak. That was a heads up to us, since we do shop at Rite Aid. We check out what kinds of phone cards, gift certificates, etc., that stores carry in Maine, since most of our families live in other parts of the country. It is much easier and more economical for us to send a gift certificate through the mail than to ship a gift with postal costs the way they are today. I went on line uner Greendot Aid Plan and found all of this negative scam info, so we will not be cashing this check or sending anyone any of our hard earned money. Thanks for all the feedback. Remember, if we do not take care of ourselves and our resources first, someone is always out there trying to take it from us. Have a great holiday season and thanks again:)

• Lr
    lrkasper in MN Dec 03, 2009

I too received one of these checks in the mail today. This is not the first time I have gotten a check in the mail and been asked to send money back. Although I am very glad to the brave person who started this comment line and to everyone who has put in their two cents. The first thing I did when I opened my check was to get on here and check out the green dot website, when that looked legit i decided to search the greendot aide plan, and came to this web site. I am so great full for the internet!

• I got the same letter. I am out of a job to a fall that almost made me loose my leg. and do to that I had to resign from my job. So I have no income and 4 kids to raise. So I was apply for extra grants to help me threw this because I am in school. So I got it in the mail. And the check looked so real. I couldn't remember all the names of the grants I applied for (my fault for not write them down) so I thought that was one I applied for. So I deposited the check into my account. And I have been waiting for it to clear my account since dec. 4th. (Lucky my bank don't post it and cash paper checks until they clear.) So I borrowed the money and got the money pak for $405.00 and sent the numbers over the internet like the paper had said. My bank calls me today and tells me the check is fake. So they would be returning it. So I called the money pak number on my card and told them. So they are going to send me a check for the $405.00 in 5-10 buisness days. To make sure I waited and called money pak back again, and asked the lady how much money I had left on my account, gave her my card # and she told me that it is in refund status. I said then the person I gave the card # to can't get that money now. And she told me no they can't get to it cuz it is in refund status. So thank god all the money I am out is the $4.95 that I paid for the money pak card. So it was a cheap price to pay to learn a big lesson. I am praying that the person who lost there money and bank account suffered will get money back and get pay back.

• Eb
    ebrotherbubba Dec 09, 2009

I Got the letter as well . Received it a week after my chest got cracked open for a Triple By-Pass .I found the "Check" 2 weeks Later.My Paided time off ends 3 weeks before I go back to work.I was Temped to cash the check. A little Voice was telling me sounds to good to be true . I searched the Web. Thank God, Things aren't great right now. But it could have been alot worse. I'll send up Prayers for all of you that got scammed. Blessings to You All.

• To
    toni90 Dec 14, 2009

Thanks to all who posted I got the check today and God knows I wanted it to be legit but something told me to check the internet first...well lo and behold I read all these comments...God bless all those she managed to scam and I wish only the best for you. Its Christmas, the economy is lee than optimal and people like this prey on those who they think they can get over on..as bad as I want it we have to rely on common sense and our inner voice I hope these people are found and prosecuted and hope anyone who was scammed gets their money back.

• Aa
    Aaron A. Dec 14, 2009

I got my "check" in the mail today. Thank you for posting regarding this scam and keeping the thread current. Thank goodness for the internet...

By the way, has there been any positive confirmation by an investigative body that this fraud is being investigated?

James0033 Dec 15, 2009

I received my check yesterday. I am taking a copy to my US Bank Branch, the Postmaster, and local Police. I have uploaded a scanned copy of the check so that anyone can see how real these things look.

mama1982 Dec 15, 2009

I just received a letter in the mail too. The first thing I ever do is look at the back. That will tell you if it is real or not, when I looked at the back I knew it was fake. Then I did this search today and found that it is indeed a fake, I am so glad I didnt do anything with it!! I read everyones comments and that usured me that it was a fake letter and check. I hope this will help someone else in the furture

TC from Texas

• Su
    SuesThunder Dec 15, 2009

I received a letter with a check from a "Marilyn Ritchie" today. Seemed to good to be true. Checked it out it is... This is crap- trying to scam people when the economy is so bad and people are in need. sue in florida panhandle

• Bj
    bjm-yankabilly Dec 15, 2009

I just received the same check from the same person & I was also debating about it. Just had a feeling with the way my luck has been going it was too good to be true so I decided to check it out online & of course it was. Thanks so much for posting this, if you hadn't most likely I would have gone thru with it. If there is anyway we can stop this or bring them up on charges please let me know!!! [email protected] I would love to bring them up on charges. I think I will notify the papers & news channels here in TN

• Bp
    Bp6 Dec 15, 2009

My Wife got the same check today 12-15-10 .$906.36 !! I told her its a scam because they wanted money back within 5 days so the bank couldn't clear the check in time. This trick has been tryed many different ways over the years. Never send money money to get money. They will get something from me but it won't be money.

• Pr
    p.rochelleKelly Dec 17, 2009

i just got the check and i deposit it so what should i do. before my account go negative...I have not sent any money only deposit it should i call my back and stop the process.

• Lj
    LJ1969 Dec 21, 2009

I just got mine today... and my parents usually throw away junk mail for me but Green Dot being something my dad had heard before he called me to tell me about this check and the letter attached. I lost my job on 12-1 so after taking from peter to pay Paul I told the kids there would be no Christmas this yr.For the first time since Ive been on my own, for the first time in 23 yrs i didn't put up a Christmas tree and decorate for my favorite Holiday of the year. My family gathers the weekend before Christmas so on Christmas we can spend with our kids or in laws etc... so this was the weekend for my family to get together and I had called my parents and told them I didn't think we would be able to get home for Christmas this yr because it was going to be at least 40 to 60 dollars in gas and i just didn't have it. My mom said she would give us gas money if we wanted to come home. So we drove 4 hrs home and spent the day with family and that was great and this when dad called and i stopped back by before heading back out of town, what he had said defiantly drew my attention can you even imagine what 500 dollars would do for me at this moment??? Christmas for the kids not having to worry how i was going to be able to make my car payment and just in time for rent are you serious! this was just what I needed and the timing was perfect i will start my new job in the morning and be back on my feet in no time with this Grant money keeping me afloat!!! I was excited but at first glance US BANK is blurry, My parents getting in in the first place I hadn't received mail at there address in years. I don't even live in that state anymore. But I have been looking into financial aid because my daughter wants to go to college so I thought maybe there was some connection.. I DOUBTED IT but i wanted it to be true soo badly i was pushing my grown up adult educated mind aside and wanted this to be real! I told my parents not to worry i would check this out first Everything to running her name to see if she was real or alive, greendot aid plan, Us Banks involvement the complaint boards attorney generals and BBB's before i did anything stupid! and here I am typing this letter and I want to tell myself these people just didn't do it right or something... and I know you did! I know i'm just being heartbroken because for a moment today things were looking up... thanx to all of you who have put out these warnings and I am sooooo sorry for those who have been scammed by these criminals!

• Mo
    mommyof5kids09 Dec 21, 2009

I got my letter a few days ago and I am glad I found this page before doing anything. My husband and I have 5 little kids and are very tight on money. We need to get a place asap and the 10, 000 sounded really good to us so that we could get a place and all of us be back together again. I am so pissed off that someone would do this. If anyone has any advice on what him and I could do please e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks so much.

malita_s Dec 21, 2009

I recieved my letter last week and was a little skeptical. As much as I wanted this to be true I had to investigate since Miss Ritchie wanted her commission within five days of cashing the check.
    1: I noticed there was no bank address on the check nor a return address on the letter.
    2: There is no number to contact Marilyn Ritchie.

I checked BBB for US Bank and Greendot but could not find Greendot Aid Plan. I am glad that I came accross this site. Thanks, to everyone who commented on this site and sorry for those who lost their money hope you get it back.

Stacey NY

• Be
    Bernice Ruffin Dec 22, 2009

i recieved a check for 979.45 and like most Americans i was excited to know i had a free money grant. I did as they asked and deposited the check. I deposited this check into my account and it bounced my account. Now the bank wants me to pay these fees that are out of control totaling $127.00 for money i didn't even recieved. Marilyn Ritchie is who sent this to me and if you recieved something like this than beware of this fake check going around. i'm glad i didnt send them the money requested 400.00 thru green dot.

• Ju
    JULIE in Houston 77084 Dec 22, 2009

I can't believe this! I recieved the same letter, all of us should get together and get our money. They should have no right to tease me, I'm struggling to survive now. I want the money just for thinking about it all day when I recieved the letter. A friend told me it's a SCAM and look on the internet for information on them, and I found all of you. I won't deposit the check, but will come back to see how others are doing. I will also contact the postal service about this and the Attorneys Generals office. JULIE in Houston 77084