Goodlife Fitnesscancellation charges

S

I lost my new ipod nano in one of goodlife clubs(on roydon place in ottawa), only to find out that it was turned in by one of the local club instructors to the main desk but stolen by one of their employees, the manager of the club tried her best to cover up for the employee and claimed to assume no responsibility of the theft!! i guess she forgot to post that "we are sorry but our employees could be dishonest and thieves so don't turn in any found items in the gym" the managment tried to insinuate the honest instructor who handed in the item as one that might of taken it!!!

Joe Jul 17, 2008

Good Life Fitness is a joke of a gym, and the manager in the Calgary Canyon Meadows location is creeping out the females. Do not join this gym go to Gold's you will be much happier.

• Me
    mehreen Aug 12, 2008

i went to the goodlife on mavis/dundas...as i was going back to skool, i asked her for a one/two month membership.she told me i'll be charged 30 sumthing biweekly..so i signed the papers with them and she told me that my contract will commence once i pay the fee but made me sign the papers.next dya i called them up saying that i dont want to work out at the gym and she told me ill have to come in and cancel the membership which i havent even paid for so technically didnt even start).i did not remember and after a month, i got an outstanding balabce of $58.I called the helpline and they told me that i have to pay $80 sumthing plus cancellation feee for brekaing a one year contract.I told them that i never asked for a one yera contract and she told me that i had signed the contract.so basically the lady at the club lied to me saying im signing you up for a one month contract when she made a contract for one year.i called the headoffice and they told me they cant do anything.i talked to the lady who made the contract and she wont answer when i aske dher why she made me sign a one year contract and told me she can waive off the cancellation fee cuz she knew she tricke dme into it.she told me ill still have to pay the outstanding balance bcz i didnt cancel the contract.i told her tat she told me i can come in whenever to cancel it and she was adamant syaing i told u u have 10 days.i told her if she had mentioned 10 dyas, i wudve come and cancelled but she wont accept her fault.she blame dme syaing if u hadnt recieved the notice of outstanding fee, u wudve never cancelled the contract which i found very rude.i told her i wudve made it quick to cancel it if i ha dknown the time period and charges which se shudve mentioned when i told her im not joining the facility.

ana Aug 21, 2008

Same thing happened to me. While I was exercising one trainer approached me and began talking to me about how effectively she can make me loose extra pounds. She was so smooth. I signed in for 10 lessons for $ 600. When she was makin up the schedule for me all of a sudden she was not available this day and that day. So my three times a week was redused to two times a week and at the end I havn't lost a pound. So I asked her what is going on. WHy am I not loosing weight. Basically we were not doing anything different that I was doing by myself before. She didn't answer. When my 10 lessons was up I told her that because I havn't lost one pound I was not very happy. SHe just walked away. I went to my bank and put, , stop payment, , on Goodlife membership and after that they called my and said that they will send my outstanding ballance to collection . I told them to go ahead . THey never did. SO. Thats my story. THey are out to get your money and make themseves rich . THey don't care about your health or shape. This is what its all about. Money. Just remmeber that. The 1 year contract is the RED FLAG! Its like going to see a movie to the theater and they ask you to buy tickets for a whole year. Rediculous! Many clubs are on the monthly basis and this is how it should be. If for some reason you don't like it, or don't feel like working out anymore the choice should be yours and yours only!

• To
    Tommy Craney Sep 18, 2008

Goodlife fitness is a sham they do not care about the people or there belongings that use the facility. They could care less if you use the gym. Aslong as they get your money thats all they care about!!! (poor cust service)

I started to use this gym in july 2008 and stopped using it because it is not open late enough to get there in time to use it, and also becasue
    A} there were always postings about theft in locker rooms and how they were not resposible!!
    B} you could not have a locker to use for your deration of your contract, as they had postings that any locks left on the locker would be cut off at the end of each day!!!
    C} also because i'm going into the army and will not be around for 3 yrs

I haven't used this gym since mddle of June 2008 mostly because every time i went there they were closed. I called the help center now wich is the middle of september 2008 explaing to them why i haven't used the gym and want to cancell . They still want $24.75 for the biweekly payment aswel as $99.99 cancelation fee. When I asked the lady to talk to a manager she replie "managers doesn't take calls"and to write him a letter. WHAT THE ### IS THAT!!! what kind of business is this??????????? I was told to write a letter. rather then putting me on hold so i can get this straighted out asap.

Any other business would love you freed back to see whats going on in there place of business to try to enprove it in anyway possible not hide from them!!!

That to me is complete ### why do they have a $99.99 cancelation fee, why can't you talk to a manager???????

because they know that there gym is not the best out there and they just do not care???????????????????????????????

I was fool enough to try them out with out researching it first. I will never do that again there are alot of true complaints about the same stuff over and over again wich again is a result of lack of commitment for this place to keep customers happy!

As for my outstanding bill the can go to hell before they get my money.

• Ka
    Katie Sep 22, 2008

OMG I can't believe this! The same thing happened to me! I signed up with a 3 month summer contract and got tricked into a one year - now I have to pay a cancellation fee and they already took $30 out of my bank account despite the fact that I paid $300 for my membership + personal training (which I never recieved!)
    I will be out approx. $450 because of this gym and am not in any better shape. I am a student and can't afford this ###. DON'T GET TRICKED, GO TO ANOTHER GYM!!! This is a horrible, corrupt corporation.
    (I got tricked at the Queen Street location in Ottawa).

• Ai
    Aileen Nov 03, 2008

Just remember GoodLife is in the business of sales - not fitness. Apparently, a disgusting gym doesn't mean anything. If you are considering signing on in Kingston, Ontario. Don't do it - it's a filthy place to work out. And, it still cost me the $99 cancellation.

• Sm
    smart Jan 02, 2009

so im a member at the goodlife in ajax, and where do i begin:
    when you sign up, theyre all smiles. But whenyou ask for something, its a huge fuss. i.e. do you have a band aid?

also, the management at the club is very poor. its a fitlhy gym, its run by immature kids, who are nowhere near "professional". their conduct and demeanour is very foul, and not typical for a fitness center but maybe a highschool hallway. The management team refuses to action member requests, such as a cleaner locker room, paper towel inthe dispenser and soap in the dispenser.

the gym is also very filthy, and is poorly maintained. The training studios are rented out and given priority over paying members, and these studios are left in a mess after these private users. A mess which is not cleaned up for a day or 2.

ive brought this issue to the attention of their head office and as previously mentioned inother complains.. its the same "SOL" company line that others have recieved.

• Je
    jenna-lynn Jan 07, 2009

All of you need to stop complaining about things that you could have stopped in the beginning. ALWAYS read things before you signing them. Is it Goodlife's fault that you didn't read what you were signing? No, they are going to take your money (you allowed them to and they are a business) if you don't like the club, don't join. You really should look into thing, like hours of operation, before you join something.
    You have 10 days to try it an can cancel if you don't like it. If you forget to cancel in the 10 days, well that's your problem and your fault.
    Of course you can't have a locker all to yourself for the 2 or 3 years you joined. They don't have enough lockers for everyone to do that. I don't know what your problem is with bring your stuff in and out. I don't know of any gym that would give every single member their on locker.
    Why don't you just use your gym membership and get in shape?

• Lu
    Lucy Vanpelt Oct 31, 2020

@jenna-lynn I'm not taking side...unforeseeable circumstance does pop up sometime!! I was just lucky enough to cancel the membership before the 10 days grace period. I could have seen myself as one of those poor victims!

• Am
    AmyC Feb 02, 2009

Actually, it's bolded on the back, and the term of the contract is written my the salesperson in the front so it should stand out, but they should tell you that. You sign a contract for one year, 'tis how it is. Many many companies have the same thing. I'm so excited for when my Rogers account is up!!! PEOPLE HAVE TO READ CONTRACTS BEFORE SIGNING THEM. It's YOUR fault. And why would GoodLife be responsible because someone else stole your stuff? And to the person who didn't lose weight, I'm sorry that happened, keep trying! Unfortunetly excercise isn't magic. You need to change your lifestyle. If you eat horrible food you won't lose weight. It's all about calorie input vs output.

• Tj
    tjike Mar 17, 2009

Read Contracts Before Signing Them! Before signing up for anything request a copy of their contract terms in a legible font (i.e. not fineprint and faint grey ink) and take away with you and read on your own time. If you are satisfied with it then sign up. If they are unwilling to do this, then like Goodlife, they are a disreputable company. There is grounds out there to fight based on oppouruntiy to read contract and false representation but with the document of proof in the contract and the fineprint on the back you have to stand your ground. These companies dont care about your health and fitenss, they care about the money. What does it actually cost them to cancel a contract? $0. You arent using there facilities? A quick mark on the computer and your membership access is gone. Thats it! You are but a number. Member Number 12345.

• Sp
    sparkii Mar 27, 2009

I was really shocked by Goodlife's practices. I paid $99 for one year rather than take two years for free, stopped going. Assumed at the end of the one year, that would be the end of me and Goodlife. WRONG! Contract was over, membership was not. I didn't notice the $50 out of my bank account for a long time. When I did, I phoned, arranged to come in and sign the papers to cancel. When I cancelled I was advised that they drain on my bank account would continue for two more payments.. six weeks! deliberately misleading. At one point I was afraid the place was going to close because there was never anyone in there, but obviously they don't need anyone to actually go there to make money! Beware Beware Beware!

• We got a letter from Casey Van Moorlehem demanding that my son pay the fees that he supposedly owed to Good Life Fitness within 7 days. We called Good Life Fitness and informed them that my son had canceled his one month free trial membership on the last day the free trial ended. He had hand given a letter withdrawing from the contract to the person at the front desk of the facility. She never gave him a letter confirming his wishes to withdraw. About a month later my son had noticed that Good Life was still withdrawing money out of his bank account. So he put a stop on it and written another letter withdrawing from their contract and demanded that they reimburse him the money they took after he had withdrawn the first time. He had mailed it to them this time. He never received a confirmation letter from them confirming the membership was indeed canceled. After five months of no word from them at all he received a letter from Casey Van Moorlehem Barristers and Solicitors, demanding he pay his outstanding fees within 7 days. When he spoke to Good Life Fitness he was told that he has to pay it because they said that never received any of those letters, and even tho we had copies of those letters they told us that there is no proof that we actually sent the letters to Good Life Fitness. Furthermore, we found out that part of those charges are a cancellation fee that they charge that supposedly are written on the back of the agreement. We informed them that there is nothing written on the back of the copy my son was given that shows that there is a cancellation fee of $99.99. I argued with them over this and told them that this has been badly mishandled and that I believed that my son who is only 19 and unaware of fine print in contracts was taken advantage of and was scammed by them. My problem is now what to do about this should he pay the full amount or not before we start getting those harassing calls? Does this affect his credit rating? He's only 19 and should not have to suffer because of incompetent workers and hidden fees. Any suggestions?

• La
    lawllawl May 27, 2009

owned noobs! l2 get fit.

• I had this horrible experience in my life that no one has gone through or at least i am hoping no one should go through at least to lose weight...I went to this goodlife fitness at Greenbank, Ottawa. I signed up for the program, then after 2 weeks, I lost my job. So I left a letter of cancellation of my membership for the manager at the reception desk since the manager was unavailable. Then i called the manager to notify over the phone that i have cancelled my membership, she told me "DON"T WORRY I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT". She never mentioned that there is a $100 cancellation fee. I also called the head office to notify them that I am cancelling my membership with them. The head office told me about the $100 cancellation fee. I asked the manager to waive the fee b.c I don't have a job. She was never there every single time I called and left messages and they were never return to me with a solution. Finally on Aug14, 2009, I went to the Greenbank location on person, still the manager was not available, so I asked for someone to help me, since the manager was not there. I did get a cancellation form and also when I asked they did say that they will waive the $100 fee. Now I got a notice, that I have been billed since the day I cancel my membership with them, of $265, so they are asking me to pay for it or they will send my
    name to the collection. How could they do this? The manager was irresponsible to put that i cancelled my membership in June and now I have to pay for her mistake????...in the mean time the manager called me this morning saying that the $100 cancellation fee that
    she has waived is put back on and I have to pay for it...Where is justice? We live in Canada, Right?

• Kr
    kraig22 Sep 04, 2009

I have a corporate membership to Goodlife and had 38 sessions bought with a personal trainer there. I have had very good results with this trainer> Unfor I find out that yesterday the trainer was escorted away and does not work for them anymore. I want a refund of my remaining money for the sessions about $2200.00. The fitness manager says that they will put me with another trainer, but I do not want another one, I just want my money back. Does anyone know if I have any case to get my remaining sessions reimbursed?

• Iz
    IzzyFizz Mar 01, 2010

Yesterday evening, i left my $300 glasses in my locker. Next thing to know after my workout it was gone. I tried talking to the staff member in the front desk, but he refused to cooperate efficiently.

Goodlife needs to come up with better security systems in change-rooms.

• Pr
    Private1111 Mar 25, 2010

Goodlife fitness is a sham, take this from me because I work on the inside and I see these problems that all of you have everyday. Gyms are not approprietly stocked with proper sanitizer equipment and even sometimes go with out papertowl for days! actualy new record... A week!

I have spoken out to higher up goodlife and I have had a reply but they brushed it off as if it was nothing. It is poorly micromanaged actually. The real problem is the management above club level cycles through new club managers all the time and they actually get fired for BS reasons that are out of the club managers control. Head Office just likes to put the blame on clubs individually. Another problem is... customers with any issues that the manager was trying to take care of has to start all over with a fresh off the boat manager that gets thrown right into the chaos that has no idea how to fully run the gym yet...

Head office gives each gym a budget to go towards to make sure upkeep is proper, The problem is the clubs are underpayed to make sure everything gets done properly. Club level will contact head office regarding it and they will either terminate us or tell us to suck it up, Another thing is... pay sucks because our pay is based on our upkeep budget, so staff are getting messed around just as bad as the members are. Its a lose lose situation here and a big win for headoffice realing in the dough.

So if your wondering who the real enemy is here... think agian. So much for top 50 managed companies eh?

• Mi
    miche03 May 10, 2010

How do I cancel my member? Is there a number I need to call or a fax number to send a letter to??

anonymous7894 May 14, 2010

the cancellation crap is probably buried in the fine print, but I was stupid and went by the statement of the club owner. I asked on multiple occasions, both over the phone and in person if there were cancellation fees, as I intended to cancel my membership in three months time, because I was in Ottawa temporarily and there was no good life in my hometown. However, when I cancelled my membership I got some made up crap about a fee they had to charge which made no sense. The charge was about 90 bucks. He didnt admit that the fee was a cancellation fee, but that is obviously what it was. So much for any prospects of me joining good life in the future, as they are building a good life in my hometown. Rat [censor].

• Br
    brittneys0423 Jun 02, 2010

I actually just cancelled my membership a week or so ago, and i had no problem cancelling it. But I never payed for one month because I wasn't going, and now I apparently owe the bank money on top of goodlife, and i got a letter saying i owe them money and now they're charging an extra 25 dollars for it being late. Well i cancelled it because i have no money, so how am i going to pay for these fees? They're gonna try and take money out in a month, but since its cancelled, does anyone know if they can actually take money out? Never signing up with goodlife again. I never noticed how many problems peole were having with them!

• Kr
    krobert Jul 24, 2010

Im currently trying to get out of a contract with them for a personal trainer, but they said i had five days to decide if i wanted to continue or not. but then on the contract the last statement is saying if they feel i have a lack of commitment they can cancel it at anypoint.. how come they can but i cant? And since i went in and got a copy of my contract my trainer has spoken to me once. yet im still paying biweekly for 'sessions' im not even recieving.. help!!!

• Hd
    hdahn Nov 09, 2010

What Good Life is doing is legal but not ethical. They have access to an army of lawyers to take advantage of thousands of people who do not uderstand what they are getting into. What needs to happen is to put pressure on government and consumber advocate groups to change the way Good Life does business. I would encourage everyone who feel they have been wronged by Good life to write letters to their local better business bureau or their MP's. Many fitness clubs take advantage of Canadains throught he way they write up their contracts. Often they collect monthly fees after the contract is up because all contracts continue after they are up. Many people assume their contract is over, stop going to the gym while they are continued to be charged. It is in their contract but they put it there because they know they will not money at the expense of their clients. Individuals will and cannot challange Good Life becasuse of the legal costs, time and the lack of empowerment most of us have. I wonder if a class action law suit could be brought against Good Life where all people who have been taken advantage of could bring one law suit against Good Life. Even if they do not win, it may bring into light their unethical practices and cause a change in legislation.

• Mi
    milne.james.1986 Dec 15, 2010

I worked for a new gym that opened in Fredericton New Brunswick in 2008 until 2009. With a bachelor of science in kinesiology and three years of experience as a university varsity athlete, I figured it would be a job I'd enjoy. They put me in an MC position to start off with. This is a "member coordinator", which is basically an underpaid janitor who occasionally gives tours of the gym. In the meanwhile, some of my colleagues were only hired because they did cocaine with the fitness manager prior to the gym's opening, and were completely incapable of providing adequate training to any of the members. There was one day where I made just more than two dollars an hour. How is this possible, you ask? See below:

At goodlife, the employees are only paid based on how many hours they're 'active', even if they're doing gym tasks in their downtime. For example, as an MC, I would only be paid when I'm giving a tour (at the time it was 8.50 hourly). On one occasion in January, 2008, I worked two hours of tours in the morning, earning 17 dollars. I then had 4 hours off until my next tour, which I used to organize the weights, clean equipment and do that kind of thing. After this third tour, I had a long stretch of 'consults', which basically was me trying to hock PT sessions (we keep between 10 and 12 percent of the pretax sale as commission, but it's usually 10). None of these worked out (which was strange, as I was one of the higher selling members at the club), which meant I made no money for those hours of work. All told, I worked from 930am - 10pm, and made a grand total of (drum roll)... 25.50 dollars. To save you the math, that's 2.04 dollars per hour.

The staff there hate their jobs (understandably.. even after I became a full time PT, I was only making on average between 7 and 12 dollars per hour, depending on the day. This was about average for my club). The fitness managers are either overzealous, undereducated jocks or people who might be nice people, but simply don't have any place in a gym. The management trainees (the people who sell the memberships) will fleece you for anything you're worth, and this practice more or less summarizes Goodlife's entire corporate strategy. This company's only redeeming factor is that the girls I worked with from the club opening committee were funny, kind, and adept at their work. This was fortunate, as they ended up having to step in and completely manage our club for the first three months (they usually leave after two weeks).

In short, don't work for or work out at Goodlife. As an employee, you'll be paid less than you would flipping burgers (trust me on this), and you'll be working with a lot of funny, smart and kind individuals who also happen to hate their jobs, which will bring you down on a daily basis. As a patron, you won't really be cared about by the staff To corporate, you're $ signs, but valueless after you're locked in. To Staff (PTs especially), we'll try to sell you sessions, but move on if you don't seem interested/don't seem like you can afford it. The reason we treat you this way is because we don't make nearly enough to be comfortable, and are across the board feeling pressure such luxurious amenities as bills/rent/buying food that our [censor] jobs won't allow us to indulge in.

Don't go to Goodlife to work or to work out.

• Ij
    ijahan Feb 06, 2011

All i have to say is that PLEASEEE DO NOT JOIN this awful and non sense club !
    I am 27 weeks pregnant, i called goodlife in calgary ( westwind location) and told her that i have a contract for another year but i would not come to the gym now since i am pregnant. So, i would like to cancel the contract without any charges. The manager said you have to bring a letter that your at high risk preganancy !!! what kinda of F... rule is that ???????i remeber when i signed the contract, the employee told me the only way it can be cancelled is if your pregnant not IF YOUR AT HIGH RISK PREGNANCY !!!
    YOU ARE JUST F... B... peoples with some non sense rules.

Abalone Feb 06, 2011

Your body Is a sanctuary. Walk.

Abez Feb 15, 2011

Goodlife is a fraud.. They kiss ur [censor] to sign up n act all nice n everything but once u sign the contract its like they dont even know u.. N if u miss a payment they annoy the f.. Out of u..

Abez Feb 15, 2011

I heard if u stop payment n dnt pay them even if it goes to collections it wont mess up your credit bcuz its there own collections agency.. Thats what one of my friends which is goodlife staff member told me.. Thats something 99% of the people dnt know...so all u people that owe money f.. Um n dnt even pay.. It will not go on ur credit.. Trust me

annoyed and irritated Mar 04, 2011

So here is my complaint about Goodlife. Staff was really nice, gym was clean and immaculate, how ever i am not sure as to who is incharge of the accounts and finance but they need to get their [censor] together. I signed up for a 1year and was told that it would be $99.00 to cancel. i was fine with all this. How ever I do not like having things debited from my account so I payed for 1/2 my memebership right away and all of a sudden 2 payments were being debited from my account anyways. I called and explained this and then it took them about a month to send me a cheque reinbursing me for what they had debited...no biggie, human error they fixed it. Well here we are 3 months later and the membership for child care that i had signed up for expired in Jan. The contract is a 3 month contract and I paid it in full so that no debit would be made. All of a sudden i got 2 letters in the mail addressed to my children stating I have an outstanding balance on their accounts of 140.00. WTF??? So when I called I explained that My contract ended for the 3 month membership and that my kids have not even been to the gym since November so why am I being charged as I was aware I could renew and pay the full amount if I chose or that I could just pay as I go...well to my surprise they said well it automatically renews and then you get charged... well you cant just renew a contract without someones signature for 1, 2 you should give them a call and see what would best suit them prior to their contract ending...you know "your contract will be ending in 1 week, would you like to renew it or just come in as drop in? " That is called good customer service, so after I [censor]ed at them about this and that it is rediculous and they need to get their act together, this was the second issue in a 5 month period that i have had with them so I advised that i will be cancelling my contract with them and although there is a $99.00 fee it is better then paying the other 300.00 I would owe. I would rather take my business else where!!!

• Ni
    NigelYYZMAN Mar 14, 2011

I wish i read all of these before i made the same mistake.
    The local facility in Cambridge was becoming Co-ed, so i went to find out more, not from a gym but a slaes office they set up. A general inquiry has now turned into a nightmare.
    Like so many others i was talked into it & thought i would use it. But due to my working shifts i have not been once since i signed 3 months ago. I never recieved membership info in the mail or anything, i have no contract or anything from them but they have my signature and are now wanting $99 +GST for something i have never used or seen.
    This is disgusting, it reminds me of the Timeshare sales people that were rampant in Europe in the early 90's. They are no different than loan sharks! Nasty con artists.
    I wanted to put a stop on the account through my bank but Goodlife told me they would pass it on the a debt collector which will then possibly affect my credit rating. All this hassle ffor something i have never used or seen.

DO NOT USE GOODLIFE FITNESS!

• Je
    jessicarctica Aug 18, 2011

that's your own fault for not reading your contract. It's YOUR responsibility to read the"fine print" and it's not fine print, it's regular print. I just joined. You're just trying to sucker your way out of the gym and try to blame them. They're way better than premier fitness who would charge you all the way up until the termination date. At least they have the option to pay the 100 and quit. it's called a CONTRACT for a reason. It's just like cell phone contracts, try getting out of one of those-good luck. If your sig in on the paper, it's your own stupid fault for signing. You should read and question anything you see that they forgot or you didn't hear. oh and for the person with the IPOD, DONT LEAVE YOUR stuff lying around. Get a locker!!

john1234567 Sep 18, 2011

Lol when I wanted to cancel my membership with these clowns I just closed my old chequeing account and opened a new one. Good luck stealing my money now. No need to pay for cancellation fees or any nonsense. Why pay these thieves?

no collection agents bothered calling and i got away fine. even if they had, i would've just disputed the debt and asked them to take me to court, which they'll never do for such a trivial amount.

• Li
    Liz333 Dec 20, 2011

I want to cancel my membership because I'm in school and haven't had any time to go to the gym. I just want to know if the $99 plus tax is all I have to pay, I'm on a one year contract and I'm just going on my 3rd month.

maryamtoson May 15, 2012

I had a membership to the womens goodlife at don mills and eglinton from purchasing a dealfind voucher for 1 month of unlimited group classes. When me and my friend arrived we were basically pressured to get a membership and we were specifically told by the sales person Latoya that we had 30 days to cancel it without a charge and if after that deadline we decided to cancel we would pay $59 which is the initiation fee that was originally waived by the dealfind voucher. According to that information me and my friend decided to keep the membership. But as time grew we realized it wasn't worth keeping since we had busy schedules and were moving farther then the location. We went to go cancel the membership in which i had to make an appt with the manager she said that they needed a 30 days notice in advance (i dont understand how that makes a difference whether i tell them i want it cancelled 30 days from now) and that the cost was $99 to cancel i mentioned her what the sale rep had told me. She went to go talk to the sales rep and say the individual is suddenly `busy`in the office and for us to call head office. We were pretty much lied to by the rep just to make a sale we were told verbally this is how it would be and on contract it represented nothing of that sort. The sales rep Latoya was hiding in the office the whole time this ordeal was currently going on to avoid the situation and when i confronted her she decided to claim that she said $59 plus first and last.

Either way, that place is a complete rip off stay away and keep your money in your pocket.

• Pa
    papimikeofm Apr 25, 2013

Had to cancel my membership and personal training sessions because of health reasons. I was instructed by one of the staff that a note from a doctor was necessary in order to cancel trainer/ membership. Provided a note form my doctor. Refund given for my unused and remaining training sessions but they are still charging my credit card. Called THREE times to the manager but no return phone calls and no documentation on what was refunded! What do I do? I can call my credit card and stop further charges but honestly, Goodlife Fitness Centres are the worst company I have ever come across! Can anyone offer advice?

• Fr
    Frank le Jun 04, 2013

I joined Extreme Fitness about a year ago. Now, it is a part of Goodlife. I started getting notices that i needed to pay for fitness membership for me and my wife. We had paid for the year in full so i thought that it was an administration thing but noooo. Apparently, Extreme lost my personal training contract cancellation and had been charging me ever since. I went in a weekday evening and handed the cancellation forms to a personal trainer and it got lost. The manager was not available so I left it with a staff member who assured me that Bruce would be receiving the papers. Anyhow, no one is able to help me, I'm out a few hundred dollars (that I cannot afford), and I have taken 0 personal training sessions. I was with Goodlife for over a year at Northridge before joining Extreme. Is this how my wife and I are treated? Is this what Goodlife stands for? It really must be about the dollars and cents from what I am reading on the net but I hope that I am wrong. I haven't gone to the gym in 3 weeks because I feel angry and disappointed at how I am being treated. All I wanted from the very beginning was to have my contract cancelled. Logic would make that obvious because I did go on a regular basis since joining but not now. I was assured by "bruce" that he would try to help me out but no luck. Bruce is the manager at the club. The same bruce who was with Extreme. I've told all 300 friends on facebook about this, all 400 of my linken account and hopefully, all will go well to make a boring story. I just want this crap over and done with. Is a refund of the money withdrawn too much to ask? Keep posted.
    F

• Wh
    White_lies Jun 18, 2013

When signing up I was told I would be able to transfer my remaining time on my contract to another person. I also called in to confirm this the day I decided to transfer it. The staff member said that I would be able to do so and I even specified "would they take over the remaining or would they have to start their own 1 year contract" she had said just the remaining. I had my member ship for 8 months and now it being summer I am doing more outdoor stuff like canoeing and swimming and hiking, then I have work. So I don't have time to go to the gym and their weekend hours are crap. There's also the issue that when I DO go to the gym there are teens using half the machines with their free summer memberships and when voicing this concern to the staff they simply said to come when the teens aren't allowed to use the gym before 9am and after 4pm... So me, a paying customer has to move my schedule around to make it more convenient. Anyways, I went in to transfer my contract and met the person there and we sat with a staff member and he told me that I has been misinformed and that the person taking over it would have to sign up for their own one year contract. So why is the transfer option even available to customers? People can just go to the gym and get what they'd get from me. They aren't helping their customers at all they are just trapping you. So after contacting the head office they told me they are sorry and they will follow up with the barrie location. Now I'm the bad guy to them and if someone is to get fired or they get in trouble they will put it on me. They also may cancel my membership as they don't have to have a reason or notice. No longer feel comfortable going there anymore. So dissapointed I didn't receive any sympathy or compensation for the lies I was fed.

Do not sign up with this company. Go to a gym where you get a door card and that is ACTUALLY 24/7

• Sm
    Smirnik Oct 16, 2014

As a GoodLife Employee, I would personally like to apologize for all your inconveniences. A One Year Contract for Goodlife Fitness has a $99.99 Cancellation Fee. It can be waived if you have a medical issue with a Doctors note and/or you moving to a different country or region of Canada that does not have a Goodlife Fitness Club. The mistake would fall on the person you personally dealt with, with the issue. Any Cancellations or Changes to your Membership can not be done over the phone, but in person with proper identification. As for membership tags, if no longer a member, you can cut it up and throw it away.

Andy A

• Jp
    JPrick Jul 16, 2015

They also require 30 days notice to cancel even if your first year contract is up. My room mate has submitted by hand at his gym on 3 occasions his 30 days notice and every time we get their lawyer chasing after him about 8 months later. They conveniently lose the 30 day notices!

Never ever join this scam of a gym!!! Unless you can afford a good lawyer!

• Jp
    JPrick Jul 16, 2015

Andy A is full of it!!!

My roommate has submitted the required 30 days notice on 3 occasions personally and each and every time they have lost it. Their Full Time Lawyers then sends letters months later. This company is full of crooks paid on commissions STAY AWAY!

• Am
    Amanda Van Der Pol Apr 23, 2016

The spin instructor Brenda Sutherland starts kissing her husband on the stage after teaching the 8:30am Friday class at Goodlife kingsmill, most inappropriate!