Go to Gate International ABtravel agent saying she's unable to name change on reservation, or make any changes to my reservation

M Jun 05, 2019

Made a flight reservation today under my first name which is different from that on passport. Agent I spoke to completely ignorant and unable to make the name change or give me any information about it. Redirecting me to the flight operators to make the change. Phone flight operators who said unable to name change as would breach data protection, and that it's travel agency: GotoGate who need to make that change. Called again informing her what the flight operators have told me, only to be told same story: she cannot make any changes to my reservation. Asked about cancellations, and told same thing, she cannot make any changes. Did not give me info about cancellations or fees if I were to cancel, or the procedure to cancel booking. Asked to speak to manager, failed to pass me to one, asked about complaints procedure failed to provide info, asked what is her name, she put me on hold, and only after repeated requests told me her name. She kept saying she is trying to help me, I said : you are not, as you are not answering my questions. Have tried to call them repeated line engaged for a very long time, no response. Have written email requesting name change. Waiting for reply.

• Updated by Mira100 · Jun 06, 2019

booked flight with Gotogate, realised I need to change first name as it appears in the passport. Called travel agency to change first name on reservation, which is offered as an option on their website. Advised that she cannot make changes to my reservation as they are not authorised. Advised to call Thomas Cook the airline for this change. Thomas Cook said that it's the agency who makes that change as that would breach data protection. Called back and told same advisor of this, but she just repeated the same thing - she cannot make name changes. Wanted to cancel the flights but advisor made no attempt to do this and said she cannot makes changes. Eventually hung up as she was not helping me.
    Called today to cancel, and this time got different advisor who said yes indeed I can cancel but there is a fee of 55 pounds for cancellation, and I may not get a refund at all as this will depend on the airline how much they refund me by. Only reason why I requested the cancellation was because they refused to do a name change, and for that I will be penalised, and had to rebook onto another flight, costing me double the money. Is Thomas Cook in cahots with this rubbish agency?
    Told today I should be able to get refund in 2-8 weeks with a charge of up to 55 pounds for the privilege. However their email states that I may get nothing in refund as it depends on the airline how much they refund being an LCC !
    This company are scammers and pirates their customer service is rubbish