Gillece PlumbingRidiculous Pricing

D Review updated:

I have an expensive, supposedly-complex (as indicated by a previous plumber who fixed an unrelated problem) faucet in my kitchen that developed a leak. The plumber that I usually use is a single guy in business for himself (as opposed to the large business that Gillece is), and he was unavailable due to health issues. I blindly called Gillece. What a mistake. They charged the standard $65 to come to my house to look at the problem. I thought that I would also ask them to fix 2 bathroom faucet handles and one bathroom faucet, all with minor issues, while they were there. Once in my door, they quoted me a price of $170 per faucet, regardless of the problem. So the loose handle on the bathroom faucet (that ultimately took my friend 5 minutes to fix) would cost $170, just like the kitchen faucet which would require a complete dismantle and rebuild. I told the nice "representative" plumber from Gillece to not let my doorknob hit him on the butt on the way out the door, and just at the $65. My friend fixed all but the kitchen faucet in a total of 15 minutes. Those three jobs that took my friend 15 minutes would have cost me $510 from Gillece (3 x $170). Do the math - that is $2040 per hour, folks!!!

• Tr
    TriciaTRN Oct 27, 2009

Gillece tried to charge me $1500.00 to replace my shower faucets (the faucets that we already purchased from Lowes)!!! I called a local plumber it took him about 2 hrs to replace the faucets and a total bill of $126.00. So in other words Gillece was trying to charge me $750.00 per hour to replace my shower faucet! What a scam!!!

• Kz
    KZPittsburgh Nov 03, 2009

Gillece tried to charge me $6000.00 to replace my gas service line. I had another company do the same work and they only charged me 825.00

• Hy
    HyoK Jan 13, 2010

All who are looking for information on whether or not this company is a ripoff, you should check these complaints sites for more information:

• Ro
    RODG Jan 20, 2010

We had a similar experience with Gillece on Monday - 1/18/2010 - as above. The plumber started out at $2, 200 to install a kitchen faucet that we had purchased - which was a "piece of crap" according to the plumber but his that he had a the truck was much better. In addition to the problematic kitchen faucet, we had a "water pressure" issue that has to be resolved first...eventually he came down to $800+ and we reluctantly gave him the $65 for the visit and sent him on his way. Next day, fixed for $170...by a plumber we would not hesitate to recommend.

• Br
    BRITPLUMB Jan 30, 2010

YOU GUYS IN THE STATES HAVE ONLY YOURSELVS TO BLAME FOR BEING RIPPED OFF. SUPPORT AND PAY PROMPLY YOUR LOCAL PLUMBER. WHAT ARE YOU DOING USING THESE UNSCRUPLESS COMPANIES WHEN YOU HAVE THESE LOCAL GUYS DOING GOOD WORK FOR REASONABLE RATES.THE REASON IS THAT YOU DO NOT VALUE THE WORK OF YOUR LOCAL PLUMBER YOU ALL THINK THAT HIS SKILLS ARE BELOW YOU OWN KNOWLEDGE YOU LOOK DOWN ON TRADES PEOPLE AND COMPARE HIS RATES OF PAYMENT WITH YOUR OWN PITTIFULL WAGES. GET WISE AND LOOK AFTER YOUR LOCAL TRADES MEN. ESPECIALLY YOU LOT WITH MICKY MOUSE DEGREES AND SO CALLED EDUCATION.

• Ed
    Edwardgerry Jul 16, 2018

@BRITPLUMB With a scolding like that, I guess we all are repenting of our ways. How foolish of us to not trust someone that will yell at us over social media as their customer base. The service people looking for work ought to all do this wise thing to get more customers.

• Do
    Doris M. Fahey Aug 04, 2010

The only thing premium about Gillece Plumbing in Bridgeville is their pricing. I paid over $4, 000 for a job that shouldn't have even half that price. They refuse to give me a break-down of the costs. I don't want anyone to get tricked by them again. Please feel to e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll be very glad to share my experience with Gillece.

• Re
    RetiredPaLawyer May 29, 2014

Anyone thinking of dealing with Gillece --HQd in Pittsburgh PA -Allegheny County--should log in to the Allegheny County Prothonotary website, search complaints against Gillece. ( If you don't know how to log in, call the clerk at the prothonotary's office for help, it is a free public records system.)You can read the lawsuits filed against them claiming overcharging and pressuring people into signing contracts for high prices and unnecessary work. You will find lawsuits filed against Gillece claiming deceptive business practices and overcharging for work. Read the complaints filed against them and you will NEVER hire any Gillece plumber, electrician, furnace repair, HVAC person. Complaints allege a pattern of overcharging customers. In my opinion there are enough serious complaints filed against Gillece that some law enforcement agency should be investigating them.

• B3
    B333 Feb 23, 2017

After waiting for them all day...(Got a phone call they'd be there in an hour) it took 5 hours for them to show. I had a slow basement drain. He didn't even attempt to see the problem. Said a snake wouldn't go in there. He immediately wanted to tear up my floor and replace the basement sink for $7000. Never even looked in the drain. Sent him on his way. Turns out, there was the too part of a broom in there( the part where you could hang it on a nail. Without even trying to solve the problem I would've gotten charged 7000 for something unnecessary and wouldn't have worked anyway!!! What. A joke