Gilkey Window CompanyColor Matching of Gilkey Storm Door with Existing Materials

J

NOTE: I have only heard back from one sales rep, not the company regarding this issue. I will repost positively if the issue is resolved.

Ordered a new storm door from Gilkey, and was told that the color would be a near-perfect match for my existing side lights, entry door, and shutters. The colors do NOT match--and they are noticeably different. I called the rep who came out the following week. He agreed that the colors do not match and took photos to see what he could do.

A return call a few days later reported that I could order a non-matching door in black or white for over $700 (less than the first purchase, but geesh!). OR, I could paint my existing materials to match the new storm door.

My existing products are maintenance free; I do NOT want to paint.

If the sales rep had told me that the paint color could NOT be matched, I would NOT have purchased. Now I have an "orangey-red" storm door and "cranberry" colored front entry and shutters. The color is not just "off." These are completely different shades of red. Perhaps if the door only needed to match the shutters, the contrast may not be too bad. But this door is smack up against the existing entry door and side lights. It looks BAD.

The rep told me at the time that the door I ordered was NOT "custom" because it was a standard size. I am requesting a refund, and to have them take the door away so that I can find a manufacturer that can match the color accurately.

I am a long-time Gilkey customer. I purchased a new sliding patio door the same day, and every other window in our home was purchased from Gilkey in the 90's. We have always been very pleased, and that's why I trusted the company to be able to provide a quality door that matches our colors.

I love the quality of the new storm door, but the color is terrible and simply does NOT match. I want my money returned so that I can afford to find a new door that matches the color.

UPDATE

Gilkey did contact us and offer to replace the door at their cost (just under $400) with no additional charge for labor or removal of the door. The problem was that the door would be black--and that would probably look even more distracting.

No, the original door was from Larsen--purchased at Home Depot. We did not realize that Larsen--like other companies--sells lower-quality doors at the big box stores. For instance, the Nikes you purchase from Kohl's are lower quality than specialty stores. Good to know, huh?

The fact is that this door was expensive--VERY expensive--and we do not have the money to put another $391 into a door that still does not enhance the front of our home.

I appreciate Gilkey's attempts to address the issue, but we are still stuck with a door that does not match. We love the quality--and I would recommend the quality of the Gilkey product to anyone. It just turns out that even though there are some "standard" colors carried by other companies, you cannot necessarily get any acceptable color match--even through a reputable company.

We would NOT have purchase the door to begin with if we had known the color would match so poorly.