Geek Squadperv/overpriced squad

I took my computer in after a Windows Vista service pack with a corrupt file shut down my computer. I'm fairly knowledgeable about fixing my computer but this was too complex for me. I took my laptop to Geek Squad and had the worst experience. The "agent" was overly flirtatious and it was unwelcome. He wrote in French the word for "sexy" on my information sheet and told me if I knew what it was. I played dumb and uninterested. I just was there to get my computer fixed. After trying to sell me over $500 worth of services and more flirty conversation he rang up my bill for $200. Even though he claimed I should probably just buy a brand new computer. My computer is only two years old and worked fine! I only paid for the $70 diagnostic check and plan to return with my fiance or father to pick up my computer if it even works. If it doesn't I will take my computer else where where they are friendly and PROFESSIONAL and CHEAPER! I also plan to file a complaint with Best Buy for sexual harassment.

Maureen Bosetti Jan 19, 2008

Had a terrible experience with Geek Squad. The first time the tech was 45 minutes late and offered no apology. He was very unfriendly and not helpful. He said he would need to come back to fix additional problems on one of my computers but I had to call to schedule another appointment. When he came back the second time (on a Sunday afternoon) he was over 1 hour late and again did not care. He was going to charge me over $300 when last time he said it would be half that amount. I called the manager and he did not offer my any help either so I asked the tech to leave. I was not about to give them any more business. Bad experience overall and very disappointing.

• Ed
    ed Feb 20, 2008

I have been waiting for over 2 weeks for them to do a house call after spending unlimited time on hold
    giving them my confirmation number, name, phone, email address, all things that are required
    due to security purposes??? The guy shows up this morning and after spending $266.43 the computer is the same. I then called them back and went through the same old story on the phone and they are going to call me back... their central office is in Atlanta I called them and was on the phone for over 42 minutes. Funny that they are supposedly computer geeks, but they don't have an email to contact them or complain about their services.

To be continued...

• Am
    Amy May 09, 2008

No kidding they are a rip-off and totally incompetent as well. We bought a Macbook at BestBuy and were "sold" on paying $159 to have geek squad come in and set everything up for us. They never called us to set up an appt. When we called, we got an appt. scheduled, however they continued to call and leave messages to schedule an appt. We called back to say we already had one set - up and they indicated they had THREE appts set up for us. One was COD! To make a long story short after and hour on the phone talking to people with absolutely no common sense and no brains, we did some searching on the web, saw all of the complaints and immediately took our receipt up to Best Buy for a refund of all Geek squad services. Turns out we didn't pay $159 but actually over $230 (my fault I wasn't watching what they were doing when we made the purchased). We didn't get much better customer service at Best Buy with them telling us we had to call geek squad directly to get our $$ refunded, even thought we paid for the service at Best Buy...
    Don't make the mistake of using geek squad. We are so thankful we were able to get our $$ refunded before we had anything done by them.

• Da
    David Jul 20, 2008

The worst customer service experience I have had and it is still not over. I gave my camera for repair and it has been almost 3 months since I have seen it, when it was supposed to have 2 weeks at the most. They are full of execuses as to why it is taking so long. There was even confusion as to how much I owed. An in store associate was charging in addition to the deposit that I made where they had told me that the deposit would be included in the final estimate. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

• Su
    Susan Sep 26, 2008

No one called between 7-9 AM to give me the "window of time" that they would be coming today. It took me 48 minutes on hold to get to someone who told me they WOULDN'T be coming today anyway. No call-they were just going to not show up!
    I get to do it all again next Thursday. I asked for a more direct number to call about my appointment and they said they don't have one. If he said "I apologize" one more time I was going to reach through the phone and strangle him. Just do as you said you'd do and stop wasting my time.

• Ag
    agenttexx Oct 03, 2008

I am a Repair Tech who occasionally competes with Geek Squad and has, on occasion, been required to work with Geek Squad to help them resolve problems. I found it hilarious that many of their technicians knew nothing about common dial-up error codes or even knew what "dial tone not detected" meant when trying to dial in. In this case, it was the technician not plugging the phone line into the computer. My support call with them lasted 45 minutes, with the customer dancing around in the background. The customer later called me back after paying the guy $300+ for "repairs." He commented he would never call them for help again. His wife did bring me home made cookies and some garden vegetables, which I happily accepted.

Mark Nov 04, 2008

Arranged to be off work today to have TV maintained as specified in my service contract. Had to be home for 4-hour window. Geek Squad blew me off. Subsequent call to Geek Squad produced no semblence of customer service in correcting their error.

I paid good money for my maintenance plan. The Geek Squad couldn't even show me the decency of calling me to say they weren't going to show up. Their only answer was that I could wait another week and commit to another 4-hour time slot.

They got my money...this time. Don't give them yours.

• Bu
    buddyrow5 Dec 09, 2008

After several calls to get a quote on getting an old computer cleaned up and running. I was offer a covert hook up for $169.00. Well the first tech and I couldn't agree on what a recovery disc was, so I called to cancel the order. I was assured that I could use an older version of Windows XP as a back up. Due to miscommunication somehow we deleted my entire computer and when we tried to reboot if failed. I was instructed to go out and buy a new disc to install windows XP and the guy could have cared less! Raymond Proctor

• Fa
    Fanny A Jan 22, 2009

GEEK SQUAD IS THE WORST SERVICE FOR REPAIRS, THEY CHARGE ME $119.99 TO REPAIR THE INTERNET CONNECTION FOR MY LAPTOP COMPUTER AND STOP WORKING IN LESS THAN 4HOURS, I WAS RESCHEDULE 4TIMES DURING 1 WEEK PERIOD BECAUSE NOTBODY CAME ON THE APPOINTMENTS DATE, AND AFTER 1 WEEK AND A FEW DAYS OF WAITING SOMEBODY CAME TO DO NOTHING NO MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING SLOWER, TAILGATING, I STILL DON'T HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION AND I LOST A COUPLE OF IMPORTANT FILES... THEY RESCHEDULE ONE MORE TIME FOR NEXT WEEK ON TUESDAY JANUARY 27 AND THEY PROBABLY WILL NOT REPAIR MY COMPUTER...THEY ARE TEFT, DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMPUTER AND THEY HAVE A VERY NASTY SUPERVISOR NAME PAUL IN CAMBRIDGE SITE WHERE I WENT IN PERSON TO COMPLAINT AND HE REFFERED TO ME AS A ### AND WITCH AND DIDN'T WANT TO EVEN SENT ANYBODY FOR THE SERVICE.

• Do
    Dontknow Feb 03, 2009

Never use geek squad if possible, I sent my computer in 2.5 months ago. What really pisses me off is that they every time i called them for the last 2 months it was always 3 weeks more. And finally i get a rude as hell agent who says "It shipped today, i dont know when it will arrive plant and simple" This will be the last time i ever use geek squad or even consider shopping at best buy.

joicey Feb 03, 2009

wow...i agree 100%...best buy in salem, nh sucks...i paid extra for them to come to my house when i had a problem with the computer i bought from them, the geek on the phone kept telling me unplug this, unplug that...do this...i was like, you have got to be kidding...i paid extra for you to come to me! in the end of course, the computer was junk and i had to upgrade to a more expensive one...don't shop best buy...they are rude and really dumb...

• Gs
    G Smith Feb 25, 2009

DO NOT Buy computer equipment from Best Buy...Totally the worst purchase I have ever made...24/7 Geek Squad assistance??? That's a joke...Had my computer less than 6 weeks having major problems and the Best Buy in Oxford AL where I bought my computer was absolutely no help...tech did not appear to know his ears from his nose...then called the 1-800-GEEKSQUAD and was told that I was going to have to pay for assitance...No way...I am going back to the store and if I don't get my computer fixed I am returning it or I am disputing the charge through my debit card.

G Smith
    Alabama

Maaggiiee Jun 27, 2009

How this company stays in business is a mystery. I made an appointment on a Friday for Saturday morning. After waiting 4 hours no-one showed up. When I called it took them at least 45 minutes to find me and to realize that every piece of my information was incorrect, which was the reason no one kept the appointment. Their version of "customer service" was to offer me an appointment 4 days out. They did not make any effort to correct the situation in a timely manner, in fact, they did not even seem to care that there was a problem. I don't know what makes me more angry, their attitude or the fact that there are 6 hours of my life that I will never see again. Please, avoid using them at all costs!

• To
    Tom Aug 05, 2009

Had an appointment to have the Geek Squad come out and fix our computer system.
    They never showed up. When questioned they said they'd made phone calls but those calls were NEVER truly made.
    Then when called again they kept me on hold for 25 mins!!! 25 lousy, rotten minutes just to hear them spout off some garbage about how they cant fix Windows 98(even tho they never said that initially and knew what our system ran on).
    What a crock! People who dont keep their appointments and then keep you on hold forever and THEN say oh cant help anyway.

NEVER AGAIN!

mamaknowsbest Aug 12, 2009

Finally again today he showed up and replaced what appeared to be the entire back of the TV. Well, needless to say, again it did not work. Now he says he has to order another part. This is crazy, I have been almost 1 month with NO TV. It's only 8 months old for crying out loud. I assume they charged Samsung for this wasted part also.

Now, lets think about this, what is geek squad doing exactly, training their repair men with my time and loss of TV and Samsung's money? Where are all the parts going that obviously are not bad? This man needs to find another job, he obviously knows NOTHING about TV repair. Best buy needs to just replace the TV. This is bologna!!! I paid allot of money for this TV and to only have it 8 months and be without it for 1 is simply stupid.

So, until the "geek squad" or Best Buy does the right thing, my posting will begin. If they ever offer you geek squad RUN as fast as you can.

FYI, if you buy Samsung products CALL Samsung. They have their own repair people who won't use you to teach someone how to fix a TV.

mamaknowsbest Aug 12, 2009

Missed the first half...

I purchased a Samsung 56 inch TV on Dec 8 2017. It has had issues on and off since it was new. Finally a month ago I contacted my local store and they told me I had to use their service department "Geek Squad" so I did.

The man came out and replaced parts that were obviously not bad and charged Samsung 500.00 (I assume) within 10 minutes the TV started the same actions, turning off and on, off and on. I called them again, the same repair man came out, sat on my sofa for 10 minutes claimed it was another part he would have to order. After waiting almost 2 weeks I called them again and complained as I HAVE NO TV!!! They assured me he would be back the next day. He didn't show. I called again, they claimed they meant next week but would send someone the next day on an emergency call.

• Jk
    jkrue18 Dec 18, 2009

Question...Did he really call you a ### and a witch?

• Jk
    jkrue18 Dec 18, 2009

Hmmm... It seems to me like there was a serious language barrier here.

I need to clarify that Geek Squad is NOT out there to rip people off

JacD96 Dec 29, 2009

I sent my HP laptop to Best Buys GeekSquad to have my cooling fan repaired which was under warranty. When I got it back, there were scuffs on the corners. They also informed me that my WIFI drivers do not install, however the day i brought my laptop in, I had been using the WIFI everyday for close to a year. All they did was replace the cooling fan, now I cannot use WIFI. They would not do anything but offer me a $130.00 charge that would "fix the problem" Why would they even run a systems check or touch my OS when all they had to do is fix a hardware problem.

They would not take responsibility for their mistakes and probably messed something up on purpose just to make more money.

• Wi
    Wilos Jan 07, 2010

I have purchased a laptop with an extended warranty. The computer required service and was sent in through the Lafayette Best Buy Geek Squad with a projected return date of 9/15/08. I have checked in regularly by phone and in person and told by representatives that you are sorry, but it has not returned yet. I called today and spoke with Connie and was told she would find out and respond within 48-72 hours. Your service and response has been completely unacceptable. Although Connie seemed to offer the effort to find out what I could expect, more so than all of the other representatives, I should not have had to call and stop in multiple times, nor should it take over three weeks to repair some keys. I guess Best Buy is not the best option for my shopping needs.

• Sl
    SLTech Jan 10, 2010

Geek Squad is a complete ripoff. They have the most incompetent tech around. I am a tech myself and a customer brought a computer to me telling that GS told her that the motherboard was bad and it would cost around $400 to fix it. The only thing that was wrong with it was the LCD switch that tells the computer when the screen is open was stuck down. There was really nothing wrong with the computer at all. I pushed the switch and got it unstuck and everything worked fine. They are complete idiots. DO NOT GO TO THEM FOR ANYTHING!!!

• Sh
    Shas Jan 13, 2010

They got my money...this time. Don't let them get yours.

• Xr
    Xris Jan 24, 2010

I bring my computer in for virus removal. Called to see if its fixed told that it was, got there and was then told that I needed new hard drive even though I'd never had any problems other than too many pop ups. When I declined new harddrive, i was then told that my computer was never worked on because it didnt pass some sort of harddrive test, and unless I purchased one they would not attempt to remove virus. My option was to do as they say or loose the money I'd paid to have it diagnoised. I trusted them so I went along with it. Then I was told that I had to pay more for the back up service because I exceeded their limit. I trusted them, and paid.
    Im up from 99 dollars to 317 now. But thats not even the worst part. When I got computer home I could no longer install software like Word. Went back, told that they had improperly re installed windows. Manager took no responsibility at all. When I asked for store manager, he lied and said he wasnt there. I was told that my computer was basically junk anyway and asked to leave when a resolution could not be found. Now instead of pop ups, I have a computer that is virtually useless. Geek Squad is the biggest rip off in the world. And the staff knows NOTHING special about computers. Oh, if youre expecting good customer service after the sale, forget it.

• Be
    Berony Feb 10, 2010

I came across this thread while looking for someplace to rant about my terrible experience with Geek Squad . This guy was trying to get us to pay him $100 for basically coming to the house and saying there was nothing wrong with our oven, even though there was CLEARLY something wrong with it. Well, we got the Sears guy to come a couple days later, who discovered that rodents were responsible for eating through much of the electronic parts in the back. Had we just listened to the Geek Squad idiot, we could have eventually had a tragic fire. Luckily, after calling this guy's supervisor, we ended up only paying the "technician" $5 just for coming out cause we're nice people like that. Moral of the story: If you're thinking about hiring someone from Geek Squad, just order a pizza and have the delivery guy try to figure it out. I promise you he'll have the same level of expertise!

• We
    weuofwoiu Feb 15, 2010

Lol, if rodents had "chewed" through your electrical components (by the way, how are rodents getting INSIDE of your computer), it would not be functioning at ALL.

• Mf
    MFrancisco777 Mar 09, 2010

I took my computer in to the Geek Squad to have some data retrieved for a project I was doing for work.
    I had an all together terrible experience.
    First, the employees cared more about selling me different products/servies than the one that i'd initally come in for.
    Second, once I made it clear that I was there for one thinig and one thing only it took forever to find an employee who actually knew what they were doing.
    And last, on top of all the bad service they charged me an arm and a leg.
    Are you kidding me?!

I trusted this company to be better than what they were.
    They're backed by a big corporation so I guess that makes them think they dont actally have to please their customers.
    I was unimpressed and unhappy with my Geek Squad experience.

After I got home I was looking up reviews (which I apparently should have done in the first place) and this company called Secure Remote Support came up.
    I tried them out a month or so later and they provided me with service that was truly quality.
    Their technicians were educated and efficient. Not to mention a whole lot affordable.

Do your research before taking your computer to just anyone!

Anna12172010 Mar 09, 2010

i had a friends computer i put a virus on it-- i get it diagnosed for $69.99 they call Agent White leaves a message will be $130 to fix it i call back ask to speak to him get Adam he takes my credit card info, 2 weeks later Agent Washington calls need payment to fix computer i call back guess who I get ADAM-- he says there must be a mix up i will find it if theres a problem I will call--received a call 3 hours later ADAM leaves a message dont get upset we cant find the payment--I call back ask to speak to a Manager over Geek Squad I get the store manager he states there is NO ADAM he is now concerned are you sure you called Best Buy yes I read him the 3 missed called numbers from his store he states again there is NO ADAM this concerns me -- Concerns HIM thats my MONEY that I dont have and my Card--Anyway we come to find out he is new in customer service dont know why he called or why he took my credit card they still cant find the transaction--- DO NOT GIVE THEM A CREDIT CARD NUMBER OVER THE PHONE---

• He
    Hellen Jackson Mar 10, 2010

Funny that you talk about the geek squad and their virus removal habits. I had to have secureremotesupport.com, a US based company that is instantaneous when it comes to repair (unlike waiting a WEEK!) clean up after GEEK SQUAD. They dont know what they're doing. If they had removed all traces of it, I wouldnt have had to pay secureremotesupport.com $79.99 to remove the rest of it for me. They wrote me a letter to take to the manager and file with the better business bureau so that I could get my money back for their half baked plan of removing trojan vundo from my machine. good luck, and as many many people will tell you, be wary of the squad!

• Gr
    Grabble536 Apr 23, 2010

My computer just wouldn't turn on. it shut off one day, and never turned back on. so i took it back into best buy where i'd purchased the computer. they sent me over to 'geek squad'. first off, the kid thats helped me was maybe 22? wouldn't know what customer service was if it hit him in the face, and looked like he hadn't bathed in days. well it was $140 to see what was wrong with it.. an extra $35 for another test.. two and a half weeks later.. they have no idea whats wrong with it. they need to run more tests. they call me every few days, letting me know they're working on it, they're just running tests. well finally, weeks after i dropped it off, they tell me my computer is completely shot. they say i can replace a bunch of parts (they spew off a list of a bunch of words i don't understand) but that it wouldn't be worth my time or money. oh but btw, i owe them $387 for the diagnosis and tests! well i'm fuming angry, i had just purchased the computer a few months ago! so i researched for a second opinion. i came across www.secureremotesupport.com. i called, and the technician informed me they specialized in remote repair and my problem can't be fixed remotely. he told me it could be a number of things, but if it were him, he'd look at the power first. he gave me a few numbers of places i could call, called one and asked if they could check the power. turns out my dc jack was toast, so my battery was just dead! he fixed it in 3 days, charged me $103, and sent me on my way.

Geek squad totally ripped me off, and still didn't even fix my computer! don't use.

• By
    Bycott Best Buy May 05, 2010

We have a service contract with Geek Squad that they WILL NOT HONOR. They have led around a tree for 30 days. Calls to them reveal no records of all previous calls unless the Attorney Genl's office is referenced. Then, they miraculously "see" the history on their screens and vow to fix or junk the TV, but NEVER follow through. Meanwhile, not at all to their surprise, our service contract is dwindling away, and they refuse to follow up with an email, which would put these discussions in writing. We will BOYCOTT BEST BUY for all future electronic/appliance services.

• Br
    Breakman May 28, 2010

Geek Squad is hardly a company that you can trust to repair your machine and give it back to you in one piece. We've had them remove two viruses on two machines simultaneously and were not happy. Upon receiving them back they still had instances of the virus on the desktop of the computer. To their defense, the other machine appeared to be completely removed as it never came back, however I did have to hire another company to remove the virus on the one that didnt get completely removed.

After the $400.00 I paid geek squad to clean up these two machines, I paid $104.99 to completely clean up and optimize my machine. The company I found to do it was secureremotesupport.com.

The technicians at secure remote support were curteous, and did a good job. Their cost to remove the virus plus optimize the machine was much less than Geek Squad charged and they did a phenominal job. The customer service was top notch and the job was done to a 't.'

My advise is to atleast check out another company that offers similar service and to try to stay away from Geek Squad. The company I mentioned did a good job, and so far, I am quite happy.

Marpet May 31, 2010

2 weeks ago i took my desktop to geek squad to be fixed. bad video card, they said that they would fix and call me with in 24-48 hours from that day to let me know it was fix. four days later we called, "O" Yes it is ready for your pick up. okay no big deal by the way i'm going to drop off my laptop to be fix too when i pick up my desktop. after dropoff/pick of of the two computers i get my desktop home plug it in and the video card is working great, lovely picture! BUT no, absolutely no icons, startup buttons, or even a curser! nothing!! So i called them and they said that we could bring it back up and they would be more than happy to look at it agian and diagnose any other problems it may have!!! mind you this computer worked like a top before the video card went out but know it suddenly has more issues no thank you not at this time. meanwhile, another 4 days go by and still no word on my laptop that they informed me the day i dropped it all that i could wait on it because it would be done in 1 1/2 hours. I call them on day 5, yep you guessed it, it was ready. i took this one up because it had alot of stuff on it making it slow, extremely slow and to install MY norton 360 (that i already purchased two months earlier for all my computers) and to optimize the performance. i got it home started it up and after waiting 5 minutes to just get to the start page i grabbed my timer. 6 minutes and 39 sec. later OMG!!! my internet page was going!! but wait my norton was not on so i shut it down and slicked on the norton icon and guess what my cumputer froze up!! lovely!!! after restarting the computer and 14 minutes later i click on the norton agian and it won't open! won't run! i give up! being that it is 10:30 at night i called the next day. and of course bring it back up and we will fix what ever is wrong(just don't forget your wallet). What about doing what you where supost to do in the first place that i already paid for!! so in two weeks, two computers, $200.00 plus dollars and still no working computers! geek squad is no better that than my 5 year old at fixing computers!!

• Gr
    G.Rider Jun 01, 2010

DO NOT use Geek Squad! Period!
    I took a computer in to get repaired and these guys who are supposed to be knowledgeable in this field claimed they couldn't fix it, although they charged me $85 to work on it! On a hunch I had a friend of mine who's brother is a computer whiz take a look at it to see if he could do anything to it before I trashed it. Would you believe in less than 10 minutes he had solved the problem and had the computer working perfectly as before! Geek Squad had it for 3 days and couldn't fix it! What a joke! At least it didn't cost me a dime the second time around to get it fixed although I offered to pay him anyway! Oh well, lesson learned!
    Best Buy already has a black eye and a bad reputation for associating with these Geek Squad fools! I was reluctant to take it to Geek Squad in the first place and I should have listened to my instincts! If Best Buy wants to salvage what's left of their diminishing reputation they need to send these clowns packing!
    Again, do not use Geek Squad! It is nothing but a money making racket and should be sued out of existence!

• Je
    Jekksse Jun 22, 2010

The Geeks have now had my laptop going on 10 days and they still have not completed install of Windows 7 to replace Vista. I did receive a cool email confirmation after dropping off the laptop which provides a link to check the status of my repair. Too bad it's worthless. I'm unsure of the various status categories but mine has been in "Checked In" status the entire time. This status means many things...item has been checked in or in the queue for repair or is being repaired. What next? "Complete"... a lot of good this tracking feature does for me! Of course, I did call to check to inquire of status after receiving the exact same notification email a week after check in but the status had not changed. When the Geek answered he questioned why I would call if I had not received a call or email notifying me of completion. Duh! I received the email AND you've had my computer for a week! He did check and they "had it on the bench" running a full diagnostic test because OS was crashing. That was 3 days ago and I still have not heard from them. I enjoy Best Buy products but am highly disappointed in this, my second experience with them.

• Ad
    Adaduck Jun 30, 2010

I took my Desktop computer to the Best Buy in Virginia beach (it wouldn't boot up) for the Geek Squad to look at. I should have left when the tech couldn't figure out how to open the case. I opened the case for him and he looked inside and immediately said my mother board was fried. He then pointed out that a capacitor was bulging on the top and that was the problem. I inquired if they could repair it and he said that I may be able to find a mother board on line but it would be a lot cheeper to buy a new computer. Believing that he knew what he was talking about, I purchased a new unit.
    After purchasing the new computer, I wanted t0 find out how much it would cost to replace the mother board in my old unit so I contaced a computer repair locally and they said they could probably repair the computer. I took it in and 3 days later they told me I could pick it up. The only problem was a memory stick was bad and for $100 total cost they removed some viruses and cleaned it up. I learned that the Geek Squad techs are not very knowledgeable on repair but excellent on selling new computers for Best Buy. I know where to go next time I have any problems and you can bet it's not to Best Buy.

gnarkill5821 Aug 13, 2010

@weuofwoiu

Uhhh he said OVEN not computer. Best Buy sticks the Geeksquad brand on their 3rd party appliance repairmen who are just as incompetent as their regular employees anyways.

gnarkill5821 Aug 13, 2010

@Shas

Call 1888BestBuy and get your service plan money refunded. It will be prorated but if you don't want to have a service contract with them you can at least get some money back. Or if you just want your TV fixed call that number and talk to consumer relations, escalate to a supervisor, or ask for a specific DFM to have a technician out same day.

• Da
    Daddo Aug 18, 2010

When my dog, Sketch tripped over my power cord for my laptop I was afraid that the computer was ruined. I started preparing for the worst and promptly grounded the dog. I immediately turned it off to preserve what little of the battery remained in case I needed to transfer files quickly. I noticed that the battery was not charging properly and quickly shut it off. I then started looking up repair services in my area that could handle such a catastrophe. I found a local Geek Squad and dropped it off. They wanted $75 to look at it and diagnose the problem. I told them specifically what it was and that their “diagnosis” was not required. They argued that it was procedure and was unavoidable (but it would be added to the repair cost if we decided to proceed with repair.) Frustrated, I said ok and then asked how much it would cost to repair the power jack when they finally realized I was correct all along. He smugly told me that it would another $150 for the repair. So, reluctantly, I handed him the visa, filled out 10 minutes worth of paperwork and promptly walked out of the store a bit annoyed. In 5 days when I was told it would be done. I returned, half an hour before closing to find… you guessed it… the computer… STILL NOT DONE! The conclusion was, return in 2 days, and it will be complete and ready for you to pick up. 48 hours later I show up, this time middle of day, relatively busy, no one waiting in line at the counter though. I pick up the machine, a 20 minute process in and of itself along with lots of paperwork. I get the machine home ‘excited’ to be able to catch up on work. Im able to use it for about 20 minutes before it dies and shuts off. Try to turn it on, the battery isn’t charging. I look at the lights, they’re all off, and it appears to not be charging. I left it on overnight to charge. Next morning, same thing, no power. I call them back to explain the situation and ask what we are going to do about it when I am told to bring it back in and it should be ready in ANOTHER week. I was completely unwilling to let them keep it on a shelf for any longer and demanded my money back. After a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and many many phone calls later, I landed on secureremotesupport.com. The website of a computer repair company that advertises to oppose Geek Squad and provide a higher level of service. They were able to provide me with the necessary documentation to further pursue a legal case with

gnarkill5821 Sep 02, 2010

@Daddo

LOL try to fix a hardware problem with remote support? Sounds like an advertisement. First off you got the diagnostic price wrong, if it was a deposit price (still wrong), it's very easy to see if it's the DC jack or a problem with the A/C adapter (one of which gets shipped out to a service center and the other is a simple fix with a universal A/C adapter), and the time estimates are wrong.

Sigh...

• Di
    DixieHB Mar 06, 2011

The Geeks at Geek Squad have been trained well. They get you to buy additional unnessaary services through fear. They take complete advantage of regular people who don't know a great deal about computers. I took my laptop into a GS location after I had discovered it had been infected with the so called 2017 internet virus. I asked them if they could please remove the virus from my computer. They said they couldn't do that service alone, that they needed to do a complete "diagnostic" on the hard drive. "Why?" was unclear, but if I didn't do it, they couldn't remove the virus. So I reluctantly agreed to the almost $300 service and left my laptop. They then called me and told me -"Wow, looks like your hard drive is toast. We don't want to do anything else to it. We "strongly suggest" (nice CYA language I'm sure was suggested from legal) to get a new hard drive and bring in your OS, and by the way, looks like you don't want us to back up your data-(I had signed something that said not to) are you sure about that? Here's what can happen..." So I then reluctantly agreed to back up the data-another $99! I bought a hard drive, $79 brought in the OS $30 (I had to order it from the manufacturer. It had to be backordered and many, many problems with SONY getting those discs) and said - please get this done...everyday I'm out my laptop, I can't do business!! It had already been 3 WEEKS..They said it would be ready the afternoon of the following day. When I called in..they were still in process of doing the work but that it would be ready that evening. Well, waited till the next day and just went in...it still wasn't ready. Why? "We couldn't transfer the data. Your data is lost forever because your hard drive is so bad. (i'm thinking why didn't you guys call me) You can take it to another location where they have 'special equipment' (another person who complained about the same problem on this site, said something about how they said a "white room with white coats" and that's exactly what they made it sound like) and they can do it for you for about $1, 500!!! How badly do you need your data?" I thanked them kindly and said no to the off site $1, 500 suggestion. Took my computer which was essentially a new hard drive with nothing on it but a Windows 7 OS. So they essentially charged me $300 to install a hard drive, and do a download. So I still needed my docs so I took it to an IT friend. He looked at it for about 1/2 hour and said my hard drive was fine, and we can take the virus - and other spyware - off for you. Your hard drive will be fine. And so far-it has. So I have my old hard drive and all my docs, but still stuck with $300 charge from GS. I wanted my money back. They gave me the money back for the data transfer $99 that they could not do but would not return my $300. Said that their counter Geeks would NEVER have said that I needed to buy a new hard drive-that was MY decision. The diagnostic test was necessary. When they do the diagnostic they look for every little thing that MIGHT happen to your hard drive and "consult" you about it. That my hard drive failure was "imminent"-another nice word no doubt suggested by the legal dept.. Well, isn't that so with just about any computer? It's going to go bad at some point...? This "diagnostic test" that they get you to sign up for is a tool for them to try to make money. To find out any little thing that MAY go wrong and get you to purchase unnecessary services and equipment. And if you don't take their scare tactic suggestions? Well, dont blame us if it blows up! Nice job trainers and lawyers. If someone would have said, "you know, your old drive isn't that bad...you can still use it." I would have done just that! Ask me to sign a hold harmless or something-Best Buy Geek Squad guys! I just needed the thing back to get back to business! My IT guy was able to take off the viruses and not screw it up. But they would not make a suggestion like that because, they are so afraid that someone is going to sue them for losing all the data, or messing up your computer in some way, which is ironic because that is exactly what they did. I remember picking it up and distinctly asking them if there was any way to retrieve any of the data. They said NO, that the drive was so bad it wasn't possible. This was in fact, a lie. They make you sign a number of different things when you bring it in and by then you are so confused and desperate, you'll say yes to just about anything...Let the buyer beware...And again, nice job training and legal departments! Hope you are saving money because with the number of people who've had bad experiences who will no doubt tell everyone they know to NOT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO GEEK SQUAD TO FIX ANY COMPUTER PROBLEMS-you can't be gaining any happy, new customers.