GC Servicesharassment!

M

I just received a call from GC Services. The woman asked me go to a neighbors house to leave their (GC's) telephone number on my neighbor's door. I don't even know the neighbor, and they want me to go knocking on their door. At first, I thought it was a friend or family member trying to get in touch, until they gave me the telephone number and it was an 800 number. So, I asked who they were and she replied "GC Services". I looked up GC Services on the internet and saw it was a collection service. I've never heard of such a thing. Isn't that harassment? I'm not going to even approach my neighbor. I saw this complaint board on the internet and decided to enter this incident.

• Ar
    ArlenesFJ7 Apr 25, 2016

GC Services are a fraudulent and harassment operation. They are looking for a person who has an account with American Express and states that the person owes money to them that has not been collected. GC Services are after social security numbers and are in the business of identity theft. Be careful to what information is shared with any representative. They are currently under Federal review. Be aware of a man named Severson. He will insult the person answering the phone and also use derogatory language. THIS IS A SCAM BUSINESS !!!

• Va
    Valerie Collier Jan 27, 2016

Phone number is not working and keep getting the message that the box is full...how and this is part of a court system

• Si
    SixRoo Jul 24, 2012

I work for GC Services. Now in defense of Sprint through GC...we have a call back team, but our calls just come in. The headset beeps and we have to start talking. There are the frustrating customers that as soon as you answer start cussing you like a dog. Now...my question is, why would we let our customer talk to us that way? We get paid minimum wage, and IF we reach our incentives, we can make up to 3 dollars extra. That doesn't always happen. So for minimum wage, why would I let someone treat me like ###. I will say "mam/sir I do apologize but it makes it very hard for me to help you or do my job when you are talking to me that way". If they persist, damn right I'm going to hang up on them. Then there is the customer that call in talking so calm, stating they just watched their mother die in a car accident 10 minutes ago...first of all, why would you be calling to set up a payment arrangement when your mother died 10 minutes ago? I work in the highest in finance. I deal with customers that are 47+ days past due. Dude, you haven't made a payment in 2 months...YOU NEED TO MAKE A PAYMENT. We don't give service for free. You signed the contract. Now, I have had a few customer that call in and sound sick...stating they have cancer and they really are trying...after looking at their account, you see that they ARE ACTUALLY trying! So of course you are going to help them. If you have only paid $40 in the last 6 weeks, sorry, we need a payment. We can't just keep letting you slide by. I fall behind on my bills and I pay for it in late fees. If I don't pay, my ### gets turned off. Simple as that. I'm a mother of 6. Do you really think I would say "I'm a mother and I really need my phone in case something happens." Your phone will still have 911 on there. I couldn't honestly care less if my phone gets cut off. Less of a headache. But water, electricity, food...that's what we NEED. Not our phones. Hell, if you're so worried cause your bill is running 700 dollars a month, GO GET A PREPAID PHONE. 50 A MONTH FOR UNLIMITED CALLS, TEXT, AND DATA!

• Ly
    Lynne Anne Jan 09, 2012

What about after a "payment" goes through, and then GC will no longer take your calls? The line rings and rings, but no one ever answers? The person you were speaking with is "not available" ANY time you call? Someone else can "help" you, but that person asks for all your information? They ask where you are calling from? They no longer return your calls? Oh, and it seems that they tried to look me up online and then asked if I was still working at a specific place that I had quit YEARS ago... To me this looks REALLY shady. I'm wondering if they just took my money without applying it to the debt. What else could they be doing with my SSN and other information?
    I'm really mad that this "company" is not available when I would like to contact them, but they can call me, my parents, or anyone else any time they want.
    Oh. And what's up with the interest rate? and why can't they tell me what the interest rate is? They can tell me the amount that is being added for interest, but not the rate of interest? I'm telling you... something shady is going on here...

• So
    Someone Else123 Aug 04, 2011

Listen I just got a call, considering I pay my bills and when I know that I cant make a certain payment and I can cover it on another day or pay a double payment the next time I'm due for a payment. I always make arrangements. So, it is harrassment when I know I am up to date and I am getting phone calls from a company I've never heard of and when I research it, they have complaints filed agains them with the BBB.

piper1200 Jun 04, 2011

In regards to GC services not saying anything when they call you, I can tell you this is generally a computer that is calling. I'm not sure why you aren't receiving a message (from an automated system) telling you to call them back along w/the number to call, but obviously there is a glitch of somesort occurring there. Furthermore, when you get a student loan, the lender will ask for names and numbers of contact people on the application forms. Therefore, somone probably listed your name and no. as a contact person. A lot of people will list names and numbers of people on variouis applicatoin forms they do not even know. All you have to do is call them back and let know you want to be removed from their do not call list.

• Re
    realist01 Jan 10, 2011

Go to gcserv.com to contact gcservices and get what you need to be done.

• Re
    realist01 Jan 10, 2011

Customer service to the customer, you nor the deptor is a customer. The customer is the people who you or the deadbeat that called from your house owe the money too. GCservices don't get payed to be nice, if you wont something from them you need to know how to ask and be nice when you ask someone to do something for you next time. You had a bad attitude that's why the rep got an attitude with you. Its normal response to someone who thinks that being nasty to people calling you that you don't know. Be nice when you wont to ask someone to do something for you, like remove something for you from somewhere, it takes time and effort, so if you wont something done you need to know how to ask. Say please and thank you I thought you might know this by know.

• Us
    Useless Tactics Sep 28, 2010

I have just had my first experience today with a call from GC Services, well my Grandmother received the call first, then she told me about it. I do have some debt, from when i was much younger, now it has been about 7 to 10 yrs since some of that debt, and there is no way i am going to pay for 10 year old debt. However i have worked with 1 or 2 collection agencies before and have paid money to them to take care of my current debt so that my credit will not look so bad. I am a person that feels that the world revovles around money, and that to me is a sad thing. It is so much more to life than to worry about debt all the damn time, and i feel we should worry about more imortant things. If we worried about debt all the time half this world would be dead right now because of the stress it puts you through. Now if you are a person who just gets loans and credit cards just to have money now and never have intentions on paying it back then you deserve to be harassed. But if you've gotten in debt over the years from being a teenager and you are struggling with paying your bills that you have now like gas, water, electric, then the collectors can just keep on calling because, the life you're living right now is more important than debt that can be taken care of in the future.

I don't mind them calling me, because if i have a debt that i owe, than i am responsible for that debt. Calling my grandmother is not going to get me to pay the debt faster though. My grandmother will eventually just ignore you anyway, so calling her is useless. However she did let me know about the phone call, even though they left her no info about what the call was pertaining to. But this company is different from other collection agencies that i have incountered. First, i did call the gentleman back and told him my name and right away said please do not call my 80 year old grandmother, i can give you a number where i can be reached. The gentleman then proceeded to ask me for my social security number, now i just don't give that away, so i asked what the name of his company was and he just said GC Services. So then i asked what is GC Services, and he couldn't or wouldn't tell me what they were, he just kept asking for my social. So immediately i thought it was a scam, and told him he should be able to tell me what his company is before i just give him my personal information, but he wouldn't tell me, so i just hung up on him.

That is when i went to google and looked them up, and there it was a collection agency. Now how hard was it for him to just let me know that, i would have listened to him and saw what he was calling about and probably could have resolved whatever i owed, but he tried to get an attitude and i just hung the phone up. His Fault!!
    Next time when someone asks what you are, especailly when you are asking for someones social security number, you should be able to tell the person what kind of company you are.

To GC Services, when asked about your company maybe you shouldn't be so secretive, then maybe more people will get in touch with you so that they can pay back their debt. So i guess they will be calling someone else in my family, but my family are not push overs, so if they ever do get rude, they will just give them the business, and say have a nice Day!!!

Marie97 Mar 12, 2010

I just received a local call from GC Services. The man asked for my wife by first name only, and when I asked him what it was regarding he said it is GC Services. When I asked what GC Services is, he responded by trying to verify my home address. I told him that unless he told me what GC Services is, I wouldn't confirm an address. He then said, "don't worry I'll get your neighbors to do it, I'll have them knocking on your door, your obviously not a truthful individual." Then he just hung up! This is definately HARASSMENT!!!

• Pr
    princessqtie10 Feb 12, 2010

MY QUESTION IS HOW DID GC SERVICES GET YOUR PHONE NUMBER?

• Le
    Lee Anne Dec 13, 2009

I, too, have been receiving calls from this company for some time now. I have read practically the entire two pages of this complaint page and I am both dumbstruck at the amount of people with a similar problem to mine and outraged at the responses from the few GC Services employees.

First of all, yes, I do owe money for some student loans I took out while in college. I commenced paying as soon as I got a job. I was let go of this job, married and more to a new country. While there, I couldn't pay do to money being very tight. Recently I moved back to my country and have just now started to work full time as a sub. which means as soon as the other teacher comes back I am out of the job. So, I cannot just take money and pay this because I have other priorities.

They have called many times and involved people that shouldn't be brought into this matter since it is MY debt not theirs. Why HARASS, yes, harass third party people? They have nothing to do with it, and you calling three or four times a day to ask for someone that they perhaps have not even seen or heard from in years is blatantly rude. They even said they would take my entire pay check if I didn't give them a payment. So, I had to ask my mother for some money so I could send them 300 via Western Union yet this didn't suffice. They still wanted 300 more. I am simply dumbstruck.

To those GC employees, some people ARE innocent. Yes, they have a debt, however, some do not have the means to pay this. You people apparently think that because I, for instance, took out some student loans and got my BA that this fact, somehow means that I WILL find work, and that I WILL be able to pay as soon as I do. This thought is ridiculous. I say this because I experienced it with one of the employees who told me it was impossible that I graduated in 2007 and it was now 2009 and I was unemployed due to no work in my field. As if she would know how things work in this country. Just because it is part of the US it doesn't mean it functions the same way.

Moving on. Some of us are very responsible people yet don't have the means to get rid of the debt. I work, yes, but I am the sole-income bringer into my home and I cannot just take out 100+ dollars every month to pay this. I have to pay bills for things that make my life function such as gas, groceries, rent, electricity and water bills, medication and so on. Plus, being a teacher kind of gives me the enjoyment of living pay check-by-pay check. How fun, right? I don't need your constant instigation nor do I feel as though I deserve it.

Do you honestly think I like receiving your calls or messages? Do you think I enjoy listening to your debt collector tell me I am lying or withstand their impoliteness? If I could pay this so I can get rid of you people I would do it gladly. But I cannot do so now. Your constant calls have me in a state of stress and anxiety and have even gone to the hospital for repeated asthma attacks provoked by all of this.

Anyway, GC Services should be a little bit complacent with the people they call. The entire country -US- is at a very fragile state economically and places like where I live are even worse. Just be polite. I doubt that is too difficult to manage.

jonjondiggs Jun 11, 2009

How to stop the calls. Enjoy...

If you receice harassing calls. Please send the below letter to this companies corporate office by certified mail. (BTW: their corp # [protected]).

GC Services Limited Partnership

Your Address

Collector's Name
    Collector's Address

Mr./Ms. Collector,

I am writing in response to your constant phone calls!

According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, [15 USC 1692c] Section 805(c): CEASING COMMUNICATION: You must cease all communication with me after being notified in writing that I no longer wish to communicate with you. Therefore, I demand that you stop calling me at home, at work, on my cell phone or at any other location!

In accordance with the federal FDCPA, now that you have received this "stop calling" letter, you may only contact me to inform me that you are terminating further collection efforts.

Be advised that I am well well aware of my rights. For instance, I know that any future contact by you or your company violates the FDCPA and that since you already have my location information, calls made by you or your company to any 3rd party concerning me violates section 805(b)2 of the FDCPA.

Be advised that I am keeping accurate records of all correspondence from you and your company, including tape recording all phone calls. If you continue calling me I will pursue all available legal actions to stop you from harassing me and my family.

Signature
    Your Printed Name

IMPORTANT: Always send stop calling letters by "official mail - return receipt requested" and keep a copy for your records. And also carbon copy your state's Department of Agriculture Consumer Services and the Department of Agriculture's Consumer Services in Texas. Their corporate office is in Houston.

• Ru
    rubykissez5000 Jun 09, 2009

GC Services is not a bad company!! I have worked for this company for two years and everytime I hear the words harrasment I want to yell. Make your payment on time and the company would not have to call you, simple as that. As for the ones that say "I set up an arrangement" and you tell us you are going to pay in three weeks, are you stupid?! Would you want to wait three extra weeks for your paycheck? Most of us are trying to do the same things you are and thats earn a living and pay our bills. So why are you getting mad at the messanger when you didnt make your payment on time? As for us calling you to get a hold of your friend, neighbor, etc just help us out and we can stop calling. Simple as that. If you loaned someone thousands of dollards and they are hiding then you would do anything to find them. So all you people complaining about the company, just pay your bills! If not by law we are allowed to call and SPEAK with you in regards to the account once a day until current. Again simple make your payment and we stop calling!!

• Mi
    MiaV123 Apr 22, 2009

My mother called Citibank to set up payment arrangements since my father finally started receiving disability payments from the VA, they informed her that her debt was sent to GC Services. She called and spoke with a Mr. Bill Equitz whose conduct falls just short of Satan. He called my mother an idiot, irresponsible, told her that if she didn't come up with $10, 000 in 2 days then he would take her vehicles and foreclose on her home. She explained she didn't have $10, 000 just lying around and wanted to set up an EFT payment plan; he told her that "payment plans are no longer an option for you" and his reason was because my mother wasn't mentally capable of handling such responsibility. He demeaned her, dehumanized her, and humiliated her.

When I called to ask how to file a formal complaint i was given the run-around because Mr. Equitz was a manager!!! So I told them every law that they violated according to the FDCPA and that I would file complaints with the FDCPA, the BBB, the FTC, the DA's office for my state and theirs, and also with the Judge Advocate's Office since my dad is a disabled veteran that served for 20 years and the house that they threatened to foreclose on was bought through a VA loan... the gentleman on the other end began apologizing on behalf of his manager and said that payment arrangements was now an option. I asked what their physical address was (so I could send a Cease and Desist Letter) and he wouldn't give it to me!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS COMPANY IS STILL IN BUSINESS!!!

HERE ARE SOME ADJECTIVES TO DESCRIBE THEM AND THEIR LACK OF ETHICS:
    -rude
    -hostile
    -immoral
    -thieves
    -expletive
    -just plain ###s... sorry, I had to.

• Pr
    PROUD EMPLOYEE Apr 17, 2009

^ I work for GC Services, we are first party collections for two big car financial companies, and we are not allowed to call neighbors and relatives, unless your name is registered in the skip trace. I'm not an outbound collector, but I am trained in both fields. I love my job, even though I feel like the bad guy alot of the times, I honestly try my best, because I don't want people to have that 30 day credit marker or that repo on their account for 7 years.

PinUpGal Mar 07, 2009

Oh, and I have contacted them asking for an address and was screamed at saying that I wasn't allowed to call them, it didn't concern me, and that I could not have their address. Then I was hung up on.

PinUpGal Mar 07, 2009

My grandmother had an account with AT&T. She recently got ill after moving from OH to NM and used her credit card for her new place but stopped making payments a couple months ago after she got sick. I, (her granddaughter), as well as my aunt who is an authorized user of the card and not a cosigner (I asked for the contract from AT&T and it does state she is not responsible for the debt being an authorized user and not having a card of her own), have received numerous calls from this company. Sometimes I would get them at 6:30 in the morning. After calling managers and asking them to stop harassing both my aunt and myself they promised they would. Got more phone calls but the people refused to tell me where they were calling from. It would have worked if I didn't recognize the voice. So I called back to talk to a manager and he swore up and down that nobody called from your company. Got a call today from my aunt, hysterically crying because some woman from this company told her that they would go after her and take "everything she has", then I was called and the same woman screamed at me telling me that I was going to jail for fraud. I asked her where she was calling from and she refused to tell me, she said she wasn’t from a collections agency since they knew it was fraud. She also said that my aunt signed off on statements and received a letter which I learned is also false after talking to my aunt. First I asked how we can make a payment plan and she said that they need all 26 grand which I had to laugh at since it’s absurd. I also offered to have her call back to speak to my grandmother and was told "no, I don't want to speak to her I would rather see it go to the fraud department" she said it was "very convenient" that my grandmother was hard of hearing and that she would have to deal with myself or my mother before hanging up on me but not before screaming at me for nearly 15 minutes. She basically accused me of stealing from my grandmother, and told me I was going to go to jail since the fraud investigation showed it wasn't my grandmother authorizing the purchases and she knew I was lying about my grandmother not being here. Which is funny because I talked to my grandmother right after and she knew exactly how she spent her money. I also talked to AT&T who told me they could not take anything from my aunt since she is not a cosigner and could not send me to jail without talking to my grandmother and having her press charges if I used the card without her knowledge. Basically, this company lied about who they were and the extent of what they could do. I have a husband in Iraq and three little ones, this is the last thing I need. She told me that I should be expecting the police to show up anytime to take me to jail and that she would be happy about it which is why she didn't even want to talk to my grandmother. This company has done nothing but harrass myself and my aunt for months. I have finally contacted a lawyer.

john doe Jan 28, 2009

just got the same call today. they wanted me to get an urgent message to my neighbor. a quick google landed me here. as far as the former GC services folks on here, yes, there are INNOCENT people here. There is a reason I am on a DO NOT CALL LIST. There is no reason for GC Services to call me to get a message to my neighbor about a debt. Do your own legwork, and leave me alone.

• Wh
    WhatThe____ Dec 21, 2008

My experience with GC Services "Limited" etc., was by postal mail. This has been my first knowledge of GC, remember that. I was in an accident 17 years ago, i was at fault. did the whole court thing, paid all of my fines, etc.. Done. I was done right? I did what i was ordered to do, nothing was heard of again. Until 1 month ago (11/2008), from GC stating that "I owe $1800 for fines due by the courthouse and that they are trying to obtain a civil money judgement against you". Also, in GC's statement: that the judgement was sent to GC for "enforcement". Not for "collection" but for "enforcement". What the __ does that mean? And after 17 years? Wouldn't the amount have been ALOT larger? What kind of company are they anyway? Come on. I want to hear from an employee on this one.

• He
    henry Oct 30, 2008

Try paying your debts and the calls WILL stop!!

• Ph
    Phoenix Oct 15, 2008

I'm not sure about the calling thing, but here's my deal.

I missed a deadline at court because of an administrative error on my part. When I called the court, it's automated response said that it had been moved to GC Services (I did place the call 2 days before the due date), so I did. GC, however, claimed they didn't have any record of that citation. So I was caught in the middle. I even tried to pay the fee through their website, and even though I used two different web browsers, the site wouldn't allow me to get past a stage of the payment process. When i called them, they said I no longer qualified for the "civil assessment discount", so basically the want an additional $400 because "I was late" which is BS. I smell a rat, I think they do it on purpose so there's no way of paying on time, so they charge you more. Any comments?

• Am
    Amy White Sep 30, 2008

Received repeated calls from a [protected] number the messages were for a couple who do not reside in our home. After several days of intemidating messages I returned the call to [protected] GC services. I asked the man to remove my number he said it wasn't in thier system, he asked for the name of who they were calling- I gave it- he said they were not in his system. I advised the man both were in the system or you wouldn't be calling me. I advised him this was the only call he would get to remove our number if I received another it would be filed as harrasment- he said that is an empty threat you can't do anything like that. We can call when ever. Then he hung up on me. GC Services web site talks about customer service and all they are is a bunch of cowards with poor customer service.

• Fi
    Fighting Back 61 Aug 27, 2008

There are some good collectors at GC Services and there are some with no tallent. In the defense of the good collectors who are trying to feed their families it is not their fault for being pushy. The collectors at GC services do not last long the company has the highest turn-over rate of employees that I have ever seen. The collectors are in my oppinion abused by the company and threatend with termination every two weeks when the employees are asked to sign a letter stating they will be terminated if they do not collect a certain amount of money each month. I worked for GC Services for years befor I decided I had enough. I have seen good collectors who never violated the law threatend with termination because they took thier vacations so their numbers were low for the month. The collectors in fear did what every they could to get payments to save thier jobs. I have had management use foul language and send me home without pay for a day because I would not lie to a consumer about the date a debt would be posted on their credit because the manager wanted the paymnt now. GC services does make all their employees sign documents stating they wont violate the law, but then management puts so much pressure on its employees they do what they have to to keep their jobs. Again this is all just my opinion not all collectors are bad people they are just people who are themselves being abused. I think the whole collection industry should have a union that protects the employees, this would also help stop the harrasment of consumers.

Marc dion Aug 26, 2008

These people first tell me that I am someone that I am not and that I owe for a student loan that was impossile to get! the school they say I went to was never accredited and could not get Fed money!

They call but never talk, they hang up! They need to do there homework first other wise the Federal charges can be waged on them! Do I talk funny?

Yes ! I am Canadian! and I don't qualify for, You guested it ! FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS !

• Na
    Nate Aug 06, 2008

GC Services LP has continuously harassed me with with telephone calls at all hours of the evening. They have called my parent's house which is not my listed telephone number. Audrey, a call service representative was very nasty to me, threatened me with lawsuits, garnishing my wages, etc even after the fact that I told her that I was on social security disability. I settled out of court and paid the debt.

I am very displeased and tired of their harassment.

• Jm
    JM Jul 05, 2008

How is that even harrassment? Before you open your mouth to start talking about **** know the facts. By FDCPA law, contacting a third party is completely legal and giving out personal info?? Come on, not only is it against federal law but who wants everyone knowing their business? Not all collectors are the same, some of us were nice until 20000 losers decide to make you think otherwise about debtors. Its not always our fault being pushy.

• Valerie Apr 17, 2008

I talked to someone from GC last week and told them that I would send pmt in the form of a check to them on the 18th. Today is only the 16th and a lady called to harass me about where my payment is...again I told them that I would send it out on the 18th - all of a sudden a gentleman jumped on the phone line claiming to be the floor manager and told me that he was listening to the whole conversation and that sending a payment in the mail was not acceptable - he demanded me to give him my bank account info over the phone and post date a check for the 18th (like an e-check) - due to identity theft & other security reasons I refused - then told them again I would mail a check on the 18th - the so called floor manager persisted and the phone conversation ended very badly - I told the guy he was a *** for the way he was treating me and he said "No you are"!!! Wow - I have never in my life been treated as badly by any bill collector or collection agency the way I have been treated by this one!!! Something needs to be done ASAP!

mario Feb 26, 2008

I guess it all depends on the person. I am pretty sure these people work on some sort of commision and are trained to be nasty to callers. Some of them just start out being rude and think this will bully you into paying. I recently called about a traffic ticket i got and the court mailed me to the wrong address so I never got anything from either the court or GC. I called them and told this stupid girl it ws not my fault because they did not send me the correspondence to the right address and she did not want to hear me. I told her she was being rude. She said she was just being direct. I hung up and called again and I spoke to someone else who treated me nicely and even gave me a new court date and fixed it all. I later called and complained about this first caller. They really didnt care for what I had to say.

• Na
    Nancy Feb 13, 2008

I received calls from this company looking for someone I never heard of. Apparently this person had my telephone number before it was assigned to me by the telephone company over 3 YEARS ago. They were extremely rude and harassing. I subsequently filed FCC complaints each of the 3 times they called me and also filed a complaint with the Texas Atty General. Once I received the case numbers from these complaints, I sent (a second) email to GC Services to their on line email address(you can find it their web site). I included the case numbers from the FCC and Atty Generals office. I actually got a call from GC services in about 3 weeks. They apologized and said they were taking my number out of their system. I still intend to follow through with the complaints as this was very upsetting and if I can prevent this from happening to someone else, I will.

• De
    debra l.rodman Jan 17, 2008

They keep calling me! Beware people, they can drive u crazy!

• So
    Sophia Jan 10, 2008

Horrible told me to go pay at a courthouse and drove there wasting a lot of time only to find out I can't even pay there. I even asked the lady who I was talking to three times and she assured me I could. Typical government service.

• Li
    Linda Jan 08, 2008

Just like someone mentioned before, write a letter asking them to cease all contact and they have to according to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They'll eventually sell your debt to someone else and it will start again, but that is how you can stop it. Also find out your state's statute of limitations on debts (Mine is 4 years), after that time you have no obligation to pay the debt. So actually if you have the patience for it, and you can avoid it long enough, you won't owe it anymore, unless of course they file suit. Some will if the debt is big enough, others will just write it off. I'm not advocating this of course, and it does mess up your credit. But sometimes you do what you have to do.

• C

PO Box 721660
    Oklahoma City, OK [protected]
    Fax for T-Mobile Accounts [protected]

Bud Says...

General Collection Services is consistent violator of FDCPA and FCRA in their inability to follow the law.

However American Express must be very proud of their accomplishments, 'cause they keep giving them fresh accounts.

Matt Leitch Jan 02, 2008

Most debt collectors are parasites. They don't care if you owe the debt or not. They will lie to get your money because they are paid on commission and no money means no commission. If they don't collect money they get fired. The company they work for does not care whether they lied or not because they get paid for the lie also.
    They have usury rates that they apply to debts, which you don't have to pay , but they put it on your credit report without investigation.
    GC Services is one of the largest debt collection companies.

Matt Leitch Jan 02, 2008

Most collection agencies are parasites. They don't care if you owe the money or not. They are not in the business to help , no matter what they say. If they would research the problem before they call they would find out that not all bills are legitimate. They just assume they are correct. You have no recourse for someone who turns in an illegitimate bill.

• To
    Todd Bean Jan 01, 2008

This company is a worthless joke. My room mate in the states recieved about half a dozen calls from these people even after telling them that I was deployed to Iraq. Once I got the phone number from him I have tried calling them 6 different times to find out what they are trying to contact me about. I AM TRYING to find out to settle the matter with them. I have been put on hold for 20 min each time by the automated service. I have e-mailed them 3 times and have recieved 0 responses. How the HELL do they expect to have civil people deal with them when they don't respond themselves? GC Services!!!! If you read these things how about responding so I can find out what the HELL you want from me!!!!!! I'll be more than happy to take care of it and get you out of mine and my room mates life.

• Je
    Jen Jones Dec 15, 2007

I have worked in collections for a few years, and although this may seem to be harassment, it is completely legal to call a neighbor or relative in an attempt to get in contact with a person who owes a debt. Additionally, because of 3rd Party disclosure, the debt collector has to give you a generic response like, "this is a personal business matter," etc. Legally they can't disclose the reason for the call, nor would your neighbor really want you to know, as it is embarrassing to fall behind on bills. The best thing you can do, is offer any assistance possible in giving them a contact number. There's a difference in having a true financial hardship, and opting not to pay a bill. A good collection agency can tell the difference and try to work with all types of situations. Avoiding a debt will not make it go away.

• Ln
    LNala Dec 08, 2007

We owe a credit card company, no doubt, we're several months behind. We know this. GC Services has called a few times to our home, didn't leave a message. My parents, out of state called to say they received 2 calls from GC Services, looking for me. I haven't lived with them for 15 years.

The first time GC called my folks, they asked if they wanted to be removed from their call list. My parents said YES. They called them again, but wouldn't give my parents their phone #. My parents wouldn't give them our phone number, why should they, they don't know who these people are!

I called GC services (took the # off caller ID) and asked them why they wouldn't just leave me a message rather than call my folks.

It would make sense to leave me a message, then get someone a couple thousand miles away involved. I told them the truth, I can't afford my credit cards right now, they'll get their money when I can afford it... heat, food and gas is just a bit more important.

The person on the other line was sincere, not defensive or threatening. I am glad for that.

• Je
    Jeff McBride Dec 06, 2007

Just so anyone who browses here knows, if you have a debt with a company (including gc services) you can send them a REGISTERED "cease and desist" letter. Per the FDCPA http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm (section 805(c))

Once you inform a collection agency or other debt collection agency in writing that you wish for them to no longer have any communication with you, by law they must stop. What they can do, though, is contact you in regards to the status of your debt( I.E. inform you that they are writing off the debt, letting you know they are transferring the debt to another company, etc...) It does not absolve the debt, but it does stop them from trying to contact you.