Gardner White Furnituredon't buy from gardner white!

L Review updated:

February 1, 2010 – We went to Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI to shop for a mattress set. We were greeted by Jim Baumstark, sales associate. We advised him that we were looking for something very specific - an ultra plush/soft mattress set. Our current mattress set was about 10 years old, sagged in the middle, and lumpy. After meticulously browsing their showroom selection and "testing" various mattresses, we selected the Simmons Rozelle. We selected this model specifically because it was an ultra plush/soft mattress.

February 13, 2010 – The mattress set was delivered in the evening. We immediately noticed that our mattress was much firmer than the mattress set displayed in the Gardner White showroom.

February 14, 2010 – We went back to the store and went to the customer service desk to advise them that the mattress that we received was too firm. The customer service sales associate told us that new mattress sets typically take a few weeks to “settle” into their desired firmness/softness levels and temperature, and to "walk" the mattress out. This seemed reasonable to us, so we decided to try their suggestion.

We spent the next five weeks attempting to “walk” the mattress out, and give it time to “settle” into the softness that it was ultimately supposed to be. During those six weeks, and despite our best efforts - the mattress has not gotten any softer at all. It is still extremely firm. And surprisingly, we noticed there is now a sag or depression in the middle of the mattress (which ironically does not affect the softness level at all). We would expect some sagging after several years of use, but certainly not after only six weeks. This is clearly defect and a quality issue.

February 22, 2010 – We called Gardner White once again and complained about the quality of the mattress set, despite having tried their suggestions. They arranged for a technician to come out to our home and inspect the mattress.

February 25, 2010 – The technician performed the mattress inspection and would not address the “softness/firmness” issue. He did mention that the depression in the middle of the mattress was only 1 inch, and therefore within manufacturer’s parameters.

February 25, 2010 – Having strongly disagreed with technician’s findings, we called and spoke with store manager, Dwane, regarding our mattress issues. He advised that the technician had not yet officially filed his report, and that there wasn’t anything they could do until the technician did so. He expected the technician to file his report on the following Saturday.

February 27, 2010 – We received a voicemail from the Gardner White technician that the report had been filed, and that there wasn’t anything they could do to help us. We called Gardner White and spoke again with the store manager, Dwane, who reiterated the technician’s findings. We were given these options:
1) Wait until the official 60 days after purchase date (2/12/10), and exchange the mattress set for another. We would be subject to a $59.99 exchange fee, plus 10% restocking fee. *We refuse to pay these outrageous fees to replace a mattress that is defective. *
2) Have another “third party” company come out to inspect our depression issue. If the “third party” comes out and determines there is more than 1 ½ inches in depression, then at that time the mattress would be deemed defective, and they would replace it for us. However, they will NOT address our “softness/firmness” issue – as this is “subjective” – and therefore they are not able to help.
*Although both of these issues are important and warranted, the most important issue to us is the “softness/firmness” issue. If the “third party” cannot repair the “softness/firmness” issue, then we do not see the point in bothering with this option.*

A few other relevant FACTS:
• We purchased the Guardsman Mattress Protection Plan with our set (noted on invoice)
• The Gardner-White website mission statements says:
Buy with confidence.
At Gardner-White we guarantee that our prices are the lowest in town. If you find the same furniture with the same terms for less we will refund the difference. We also guarantee our products against manufacturer’s defects for at least one year.
These are just a few examples of our commitment to our customers. Because at Gardner-White, providing you with great furniture and great service is what we do.

In summary, we purchased a mattress set from Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI. When it was delivered, we found the set to be defective. Upon seeking help from the store to rectify the situation, we realized we may have fallen victim to the store scam of “bait and switch”. Either the store intentionally misrepresented their merchandise on the showroom floor; or we received a defective set – for which the store will not take responsibility for. In either case, unscrupulous business practices are being used here, and we intend to stand up for ourselves in order to make this situation “right”. Ultimately, we are not looking for our money back, we are not looking for a different model mattress. The outcome we would like to see is to have Gardner White replace our defective mattress set with the same make & model without the defects.

• Da
    dav wor Feb 08, 2021

We have been waiting since [protected] for an ottoman and we just got an automated message saying the new expected delivery date is may 2021 now, we have tried to call the store and the sales women but neither have returned our calls(8 maybe more) or emails(4) and text (5) to cancel this order and refund our money. very disappointed in customer service.

• Ta
    Tammie Trescone Schwartz Dec 07, 2017

Buyer Beware - Do not Shop at the Gardner White's Macomb Twp
    Location!! In fact, don't shop at Gardner White at all!! The store is a SCAM and treats their customers horrible. Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere!!!

• Bi
    Bill Lockard Jan 18, 2013

Gardner White on Hall road ripped us off. First we told them we wanted a sectional tv package...he told us ok and sent a couch and love seat...then tried to low ball us into buying the sectional middle piece. We thought we had bought it and he told us it cost extra. Then there have been problems with the whole order for a month and a half now and they still have yet to make it right. We wanted to return everything but never got a return call or anything until the 7 day grace period was up and then told us we had to pay a 25 percent restocking fee. They also brought the tvs in ...told us they had to open it to make sure the screens werent cracked... but once there open you cant even send them back. They have tried to redeliver 2 different love seats going on the 3rd one..all with defects..End tables had defects and they keep giving us the run around...wanting us to come up there and look at the floor models. We have 5 different yellow sheets documenting there every visit here so far. Still not fixed. It may be time to find a lawyer at this point for us. Gardner White will never see any of my man cave money which I plan to make in the basement of my brand new house this summer. Bill- Clinton Twp

• Po
    poku Sep 04, 2012

I am also a victim of this scandolous company. They put a bogos insurance charge on my account and wouldn't refund my money when i caught them and demanded it.Please everyone, don't even think about considerrring gardner white when you need furniture. They are scamers!

• Ju
    Julie GP May 12, 2012

I will NEVER purchase from Gardner White again, and I am glad that I just talked a colleague out of even looking at their furniture. The return policy is completely ridiculous. After my furniture was supposed to be in on April first, it finally arrived on May 10th. I had to put my new house together while waiting, having not seen the actual furniture for 2 months, the colors were off enough, where I would forfeit my $500 deposit to get something else. They will not accept any refunds or exchanges, that could have resulted in a larger sale. What a poor business decision on their part. I hope they read this and realize that I went out and spent thousands of dollars at a competitor to furnish the rest of my house and once I sell this furniture, I'll spend another couple of thousand replacing this set. Shame on them and EVERYONE I know will be made aware of the poor service I received. Julie - Grosse Pointe

• Na
    Natalie D White Dec 15, 2011

I STRONGLY suggest that no one do business with Gardner White. We purchased a table, $422 from the store on Hall Road and moved to AZ. The table had a complete manufactures defect across the top finish of the table. Gardner White refuses to help, I even offered to ship the table back to them, its extremely heavy, a stone table, and still receives the attitude from them of "your loss, our gain". They have actually unloaded a defective table for profit, unbelievable. DO NOT SHOP THERE.

• Ir
    irishlady Apr 18, 2010

I've had problems with Gardner White before. Most notably the old "bait and switch."

Best solution is do NOT do business with them.