GameStopbad returns

M

These are a few things that i got pissed off about,

It's a sunday, i get a call from my dad. My dad went Cohns and since we bought a lot of stuff from them including a couch which is why he was there. He informed me that they gave him a free item because we bought so much stuff so he got a PS3. He gets home and we set it up in our den, where our Xbox 360 was. We moved the 360 upstairs and had to buy a regular RCA cable because our dog chewed up the cable that came with the system so we bought a HD cable for our HD tv which by the way, we also bought at Cohns. So since we didn't have a regular RCA cable we went to our local Gamestop store to buy the cable because i also go Xbox Live that day! We went to Gamestop and me being a filmmaker i walked over and bought what i thought was the right video cable. The cable had Red and White for audio and a composite cable which wasn't video it was just some weird thing that didn't really go to any thing. This stupid pointless cable was also made buy guess who? Gamestop. So i buy it for $15 with there low prices! and discover that it doesn't have the Yellow out for video. now shock and pissed off i went back to Gamestop and talked to the same guy that check me out. The cable was out of the box, i had it for ten minutes and i showed him the receipt and here is what he said "well, i don't know how long you have had it and since there is no box i'll give you back $2.50 under it being used" What! Remember me geeky guy? the person in the black tee shirt from Old Navy? so, i took my $2.50 and bought the right cable...

Two days later, i went to buy a new game for my brand new PS3. So i played the demo and thought "Iron Man" was fun so i went down and bought it. I didn't do what the Gamestop rant websites that always say to demand a shrink wrapped copy so they don't pull the "In storage in a month but we put it back in and charge $60" thing. So just wanting it i grab the box, un-shrink wrapped and low and behold he grabs the disc out of a drawer and pops it in the box. I look at the disc and it has a huge Scratch! New my ###...

This happened a long time ago but i still remember it. This is what i like to call "Gamestop's release date". What i am talking about is my theory, here's what happens. The gaming company that makes the game sets a release date let's say the 15th. So they send off there shipments of the game on the 12th or 14th depending on where the store is. So they get the game in the day before it comes out and here is what they do, they keep the box in the back and on the day it comes out they keep it in the back and tells the customer that they are wrong and the game comes out on the 16th. After they close on the 15th, they stock the shelfs with the game because they don't want the customer to see them "Stocking"! who would have thought stores would do that huh? so on the false date they give out the game. This is if you do not have a Pre Order, if you have a Pre Order then they will give you the copy because you have a Pre Order. Example to back up this theory... I bought a "Tony Hawks Underground" with a Pre Order and when they asked if i had a Pre Order i said i had one so they gave me my copy. Now to games later i buy "Tony Hawks American Waste Land" a later game with out a Pre Order. I stalked the games site for months drilling the date in my head so when i went to GameStop they said " Sorry dude, it comes out on the 16th today is the 15th" thats when my head exploded. What! 16th! Lies! it comes out today! "Nope, sorry dude" BS.

This is why i dislike GameStop.

johnexel30 May 19, 2008

I would to complain about my preorder of the MMO "Age of Conan" Collectors Edition. It seems that a randolph gamestop employee sold my reservation. Now let me have you in mind that its the Collectors edition, and that you can not really find it anywhere now. I waited months for the reservation to get my special items, but no, a stupid randolph, nj gamestop employee sold it away to some tool. I am going to try my hardest to get a collectors edition from them or at least some compensation for such horrid reservation service.

• Ed
    Eddie Dec 03, 2008

Well sir.. did you pick it up in the alloted 48 hours or did you wait two weeks.. We dont keep games for everyone forever.. We would'nt have enought room

• Ed
    Eddie Dec 03, 2008

Lol you saw wrong bro... There is a difference between a release date and street date. Street dates are actual dates we "at gamestop" have to go by. That means if the date is the 15th we did in fact recieve the game in early. Then we put it out on the shelves or hold it behind the counter till we do. So its the 15th the game was street dated.. Boom we got it ready for ya. Now if the game doesent have the little thing we call a street date it has a release date. That means if our reserve list says its out the 15.. thats the day its shipped to us buddy. Sometimes they come in early and we will put it on shelves early just like we did with Skate 2 btw. So im betting your never asked about the technical things behind the dating process.. you've been schooled so dont throw a little emo kid hissy fit all over the net anymore

• Kr
    krissy Dec 04, 2008

did u ever get a copy? we have one available at our store ($1605). collector's edition. if ur interested, have the local store call u and ask us for an inter-store xfer. keep in mind tho, that after 48 hours of the game's release date, your copy CAN be sold from the store!! yes, the reservation is there for people who want it WHEN IT COMES OUT. we can not hold an innumerable amount of stock for an indeterminable date, just because someone has $5 down on in, when it could be sold to someone IN STORE, with money in hand. - that's just business.. =

• Ia
    Ian Jan 07, 2009

Ordered a pair of gift certificates as x-mas gifts for my niece and nephew on Dec 17th, in PLENTY time for x-mas, considering they are simply virtual gift certificates to be EMAILED to me by the 25th! Well, guess what. They weren't received, even after I checked up on the problem several days before x-mas. On the 25th, still no emailed gift certificates, and the company's customer service dept was closed, naturally, so my niece and nephew were out of luck. Seeing as how I actually had talked to the company several times between the day of my order and the 23rd, I feel like I've MORE than given them a shot.

bdennis02 Jan 20, 2009

thank you eddie. . im from store 2863.. .. and your exactly right... help me shut up stupid people on this site taking bad about the company. i disagree with the post.. but agree with eddie's answer becuase it is 100% true. .

bdennis02 Jan 20, 2009

how do you know the person was a tool? maybe they were an instrument. or maybe you were a real d bag to the associate that helped you. i work at gamestop and we put things in the comments about customers.. they might have had it all along and you werent kind and curtiest. think about that next time u ask for a burger extra cooked or something stupid.. u might get a little more than you bargin for

• Sh
    Shye Bogan Feb 12, 2009

I ordered the Wii Fit Bundle on February 01 2017 as a pre-order to be shipped on February 06 2017, after trying for months to find the Wii Fit and Wii Balance Board. I got the e-mail confirmation saying that my order would ship. On February 11 2017 I found that my order was cancelled. I contacted them and they said that were sorry, but they are now out of stock and cannot help me. They didn't give me a reason for the cancellation. I'm looking for how to contact the headquarters directly so that I can file a formal complaint.

bdennis02 Feb 13, 2009

hmm whats the problem. they put the money back on ur card.. didnt charge u and u got an email saying you arent getting an item that is very hard to find.. 3 words.. ### off ###

• Fr
    freddie Feb 16, 2009

wow kinda sad seeing gamestop employees come up and having to defend themselves for their practices and not only just defending it actually getting offended by it. sure there's the whole pride thing but you're not getting any compensation in defending and in fact making yourself look worse when you're calling people dumb or incompetent. That might actually give people a reason not to go to gamestop so stop being ### and either just give constructive criticism or just shut up cause you're only making yourself look like an ###.

• Ol
    Oliver Feb 17, 2009

YOU CANNOT COUNT ON GAMESTOP.COM!!

• Fr
    Frankie Mar 02, 2009

I don't understand how you could pre-order something that was already released. The other commenter is right, you did not lose money, you were made aware of the cancellation. Instead of complaining here be proactive and try to speak to someone in charge about what can be done to get you a Wii Fit. I know it's frustrating, it took a month of more of waiting on backorder to get my Wii.

• Dy
    dyce1200 Mar 03, 2009

I agree completely, if your going to come on this website and defend yourself thats fine but have some dignity while you go about it, oh my bad, you work at gamestop, you probably don't know what that is eh? Gamestop employees should really stay off this website, after all no one likes hearing a pissy 20 year old with the IQ of a 3rd grader ### about a customers complaints

GHguy Mar 29, 2009

So i had reserved guitar hero metallica and they had promised if you reserved the game you get the double bass. they never told the people that while supplies last. and i went there they said sorry its only while supplies last and i had gone with my friend at 12:00 pm he got the petal and i go two hours later sorry not in stock so they gave me a mother $^@$*^% poster that says guitar hero metallica and my dad had said your gonna ###in hear thils

AngryLlama Apr 25, 2009

Unfortunately unless it's closely monitored, a lot of times when something goes up on a website that's hot, tons of people will be "pending." Way more than they have stock for. So a lot of people who "snagged" a pre-order end up with nothing.

You weren't billed, and it sucks you didn't get it. You can try to file a formal complaint, but you probably won't get anywhere. GameStop doesn't make Wii Fit, they sell it. Pre-orders are like a huge waiting list, and they want to be sure that if at all possible, you get one. Well, you didn't because, it wasn't at all possible. They got zero of your money, and they're wasting THEIR money by talking to you in customer service about it, seeing as your lack of a purchase is paying NONE of their payroll.

Nintendo didn't give them enough to meet the demand requested. GameStop will politely accept your complaint, tell you they will look into it and try to resolve it, and then ball up that jot in their notebook and toss it in the trash with the rest of the Wii Fit /Mario Kart/Wii system complaints.

They apologized. And that sounds pretty adequate as far as a (customer service vs amount spent by you) ratio. Apologies are seldom free.

AngryLlama Apr 25, 2009

If you're going to hate, hate everyone equally. Customers, fellow gamestop employees, people on this board, etc.

There are a ton of stupid GameStop employees. I mean a TON. LOTS. But for every one of them, there's customers twenty fold. It's not the GameStop customers fault. It's the American customers fault. It's just that retail and food service see these customers rear their ugly heads far more than other businesses. If someone feels like it's your job to provide them not only with a product, but with a service, you get a lot of flak. And they're usually as big of a dick about it as they can be.

AngryLlama Apr 25, 2009

You guys put bad comments about customers in your computers? Wow. My roommate worked there for a while and he'd have been fired if he was caught doing that, haha.

But yeah, you put money down for them to ship you one, a FREE service because the money comes off of the price of the game.

You know how much they charge you to hold it for 48 hours? Nothing. Zilch. Again, that $5 comes off of the price of the game, a completely free service that only requires a down payment.

You know how much people charge to hold stuff for more than 48 hours? It's a branch of business referred to as "storage." Usually you'll see mini-storage lots, somewhere in town. But again, do you know how much it is?

NOT FREE. "NOT FREE" is the cost of storage time. And you got the FREE plan, not the NOT FREE plan. So SHUT THE HELL UP and get over it. You wanted someone to hold it, you should've bought it and given your uncle $20 to keep it hidden in his attic.

• Sh
    shari7669 Jul 08, 2009

My son took a brand new playstation 3 with 15 games to one of our local Gamestop stores and traded it for an XBOX 360. He gave Gamestop $700 worth of games and console equiptment and received $181.89 For it. This is really not the problem I have. Although, to give that much to a company and literally get peanuts back is ridiculous. My problem is, we are only in July and I have had to visit every store in my local area because the original Xbox he received got the red ring of death less than a month after he got it. He is now on his 8th console within a three month span. All for the same problem. This company obviously does nothing to ensure the consules they're giving to their customers are in working condition. I have been ripped off! I have contacted Gamestop via email on 04/25/09 with my conserns and explained what was happening. I never received a response from anyone. This morning I called the customer service number, because he I am again with the red ring of death, and a representative gave me the number to the District Manager, Mr. Rodriguez. He is out of the office until July 31st. His voice mail gives a number for a Jay Hernandez. I called that number. It goes to a fax machine. Obviously, customer satisfaction and concerns is not a priority for this company. I've sent emails which have been ignored, Managers leave for a month at a time, and Managers that are to be filling in, send calls to fax, so they don't have to deal with them.

macdrebonics Jul 20, 2009

ive had the same thing happn i have had to take my xbox back about 5 times and every time i get it, it redlights and the worst part is now i cant even take it back because when i do they tell me its my fault it keeps redlighting and tried to tell me that things like this never happen oh and by the way every time my xbox redlighted and i had to get a new one and was forced to pay another 20 warranty fee so basically now im out an xbox and about 100 dollars in warranty protection anyways i have basically stopped going to gamestop and recommend nobody buy any consoles from one of there stores because its not worth getting fd out of ur money

• Ny
    NYC Gamer Aug 12, 2009

A few weeks ago, I purchased a game (Left For Dead XBOX 360)which was sold to me as new. However, when I opened it the box was empty! I paid $60 for nothing!! I will be making a major complaint to the manager tomorrow! This is infuriating!!

Prior to this, I attempted to purchase 2 used games (Amazing Island for the GameCube & Diego Safari Rescue for the Wii) inside the GameStop store on Atlantic Ave in Ozone Park, NY. The boxes were on the shelves which means the games should be in stock. However, when I handed them to the cashier she could not find the game discs! Very suspicious if you ask me!

They have officially lost me as a customer!! Three strikes and your out baby! Best Buy here I come...

Dan87 Aug 13, 2009

There was nothing in the case because you took a display case up to the counter for a new release when you should have just asked the associate at the counter for the game. I'll give it to you that they should have checked the case and put the game inside or given you a sealed copy but people do make mistakes and you have to take in to account that the associate could have been really busy or even new.

Also a very simple solution to your problem would be to go back up to the store and tell them you didn't get your game, they will do a 30 second inventory check and then hand you your game. Problem solved.

And as for the used games, people do go to the counter and ask for a specific game, and sometimes the case cannot be found, especially for something like GameCube that's in a dump bin and not perfectly alphabetized, so they sell the game without the case. No big deal.

Dan87 Aug 13, 2009

First obvious solution: don't ever buy a used console, from anyone, ever.

Second: it IS your fault. Your 360 needs proper airflow and if your 360's are red lighting that much then I'm willing to bet that you have it in an entertainment center or it's sitting on carpet...

Dan87 Aug 13, 2009

Oh, and good luck getting used games or deals like buy 2 get 1 free at Best Buy.

• Ur
    u racist compl Aug 20, 2009

i was going to gamestop to sell in my xbox 360 an I forgt I needed to be over the age of 18 so I had my friend come from walmart who was 18. he said they close at 9:00 an it was 8:57 an I grabed the door handle an he grabed the other side an pulled it shut when my 18 yr old friend was right next to me an he closed the door in my face.

• Me
    Melissa L Aug 20, 2009

Okay? They were closing! Plain and simple, they can't stay open for everyone! Just try again next time!

• Ga
    Gamerdude Aug 27, 2009

put on some clothes and go to the store

• Ga
    Gamerdude Aug 27, 2009

52 percent of xbox 360s fail as opposed to ps3 where the failure rate is about 8 to 12 percent. You probably have your 360 in a bad location anyway, and that's why they keep breaking. They aren't as robust as the ps3 that you shouldn't have traded in since almost all the games are the same on both system anyway. It's not Gamestop's fault that microsoft made the 360's poorly and your own fault that you can't keep proper care of them. It would be like blaming the pet store if after buying 8 puppies you can't seem to keep them alive even though you are mistreating them, and that you should have just kept your cat in the first place... since it can take care of itself.

• Ev
    EveDeChi Sep 14, 2009

On the gamestop website there is a trade-in special listed - get 25 % off when trading in any games towards the purchase of batman arkham asylum. No where on the website is there an expiration date for the offer. When I went to gamestop today I was told that "the offer expired yesterday". I was on my lunch so didn't have time to argue with the guy but I told him it was false advertising on the website since there is no expiration date listed. The guy said that those offers are only valid for a certain amount of time. I said I understand that but if I would have known the expiration date I would have been in sooner! No more gamestop for me - they are shady!!

• Au
    aubreynevins Oct 08, 2009

i reserved a copy of operation flashpoint dragon rising it came out on october 6th when i arrived at store they said the game wasn't in even thought they called me and told me it was 10 mins before my arrival and tell me they will have it tomarrow so i go home a day goes by after school i go to see if it is in and it still wasn't in so around 7:30 i call the store they have the game but it is sold out and they don't have my reserved copy even thought i had payed for it 4 months in advance and then tell me to come to the store tomarrow to solve the problem in the store

• Vi
    Vilma Perez Oct 10, 2009

The Customer Service, they offer on the game stop on 5709 NW 7th St. Miami, Fl. [protected] are very on pleasant they profile you and they are rued, not only that they are very on professional, and don't have people skill's always talking to the people they choose to, and un attending other customer's which they don't feel like dealing with, my son goes there and myself every week to buy game's from this store and honestly this Manager named Edgar, refused to refund my son when he had a receipt and the merchandise, and he asked he to refund him his money and he said that all he could do was give him a gift card, for something that he was returning with a receipt and it had not been 24 hour when he purchase this item and he even told my son if he didn't like the game that he could return it and he would get refunded, so who is in charge of this store and what will they do, so that this will not happen to my son or anyone else, and I would like a response from the general manager that handles these store, or someone higher then the general manager like the owner, so he can tell me if this is acceptable in your store, when any employee mistreats a customer [protected] or email me at [protected]@yahoo.com

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

They closed a little early big deal.

• Xe
    XenoMiang Nov 07, 2009

Maybe their clocks said 9 ... did you ever think that your clock maybe doesn't have the same time to the minute and any other clock?

jamesbuchananjunior Nov 15, 2009

I also work in the video game business and 99.99% of our customers are good people who just want their games on time at a reasonable price. The remaining .01% are not what we'd consider real customers but scammers who use fraudulent credit cards. It's not rocket science to sell a game at a reasonable price to keep customers happy and coming back for more.

I can understand a customer's anger if he's treated unfairly or poorly but I also understand that Gamestop is the largest specialty retailer of video games in the country so they'll get a larger percentage of complaints due to their size and scale of operations. I'm sure a large proportion of Gamestop's customers are happy with the company and service that they receive. They're not the biggest retailer for no reason and they've been doing the same thing for decades.

There's obviously a percentage of customers who feel they've been slighted or treated unfairly by Gamestop and they have a right to complain and air their complaints in an open forum. To see Gamestop employees belittle customers who have valid complaints is appalling and unprofessional.

• Wi
    WiiWill Dec 20, 2009

As an independent game store retailer. I would say, "you got ripped off". Let me start off by saying, $181.89 for $700 worth of product? WOW!!! Never go to GameStop to trade ANYTHING in. My current trade-in policy, I give HALF of what the product would be sold for, which is MORE than what GameStop would give you. In fact, in consideration of the condition of the Playstation 3, I would have gave you $150 to 200 just for the console. This wouldn't include any of the games. The fact that no representative from the company returned your phone calls, shows a strong sign of poor customer service. I hope you get this problem resolved.

Dan87 : I retail used consoles EVERYDAY. So I do not agree with you on purchasing a "used" console is ###. I do agree with you on a couple of notes however. The 360 does need proper airflow, the same goes for televisions. I am not a strong fan of Entertainment Centers either. The carpet comment was a good one. I guess some people never heard of static electricity. Kind of like, taking the motherboard out of the computer and rubbing it on the carpet. So I will agree, keep it off the carpet.

Gamerdude : You couldn't be any more correct on submitting that comment. You are right, it is NOT GameStop's fault for a system malfunction. However, it should be GameStop's responsibility to respond or better assist with a customers complaint.

Ending Note : 85% Customer - 10% GameStop - 5% Microsoft. The reason I believe it is mostly the customers fault, is based on them going through eight (8) consoles within a three-month time period. That is a lot of consoles to go through during a three (3) month period. Tell your son/daughter to take better care of the product.

• Ar
    Armyboy88 Feb 26, 2010

I used to work at GameStop, so I can say from personal experience, don't shop here, unless you're buying a new game (and even then be careful). Here's why:
    -You get virtually nothing when trading in games, you can get a lot more selling online. Even if you do trade in to GameStop, you can only get store credit, which can only be used at their stores. If you want cash, you have to accept 20% less.
    -Most used products don't work too well. Only systems are tested, and even then, only to make sure that they turn on and the controller works. Used games are frequently scratched and unusable. Used accessories aren't tested or cleaned.
    -If you buy a new game, make sure it is factory sealed. Every time GameStop receives new copies of a game that they were previously out of stock on, they open one up and stick the disc in a paper sleeve and squeeze it in a drawer with no other protection. Employees are allowed to take that "new" copy home and play it themselves. When it is brought back, it is still sold as new, even though it is obviously used.
    -Employees are rude and discourteous (I know I was), and will try to get you to spend money on stuff you don't need.
    -Used systems are terrible. From personal shopping experience, I bought a used Xbox from them several years ago before I worked for them. The Xbox was packaged with the wrong wires, a wireless controller with no receiver (original Xbox, not Xbox 360), and the system itself had dead bugs caught in it.
    -Used games are generally only $5 less than their new counterparts.

If you are thinking of working for them, don't. Employees are treated badly by corporate. The pay is pretty bad, too. I had about two years of retail experience at a manager level before working for them and didn't get paid anymore than at my previous job, despite my request to. I was also hired at the end of October, was told it was a part-time job and would still be employed after the holidays, and got laid off after new years. The pay system is really bad, too. Instead of giving you a check which you can cash or deposit, they pay you on a special card. While you can withdraw money from it at any ATM, there is a transaction charge by the card company for each time you withdraw, or use it buy something, which is ridiculous. Why should there be a fee for me to withdraw my paycheck? The card can only be used at GameStop/EBGames/Babbages or Barnes and Noble to purchase items.

Overall it's a pretty bad working and shopping experience and I urge anyone reading this to buy and/or work anywhere else.

• Kl
    klitch Mar 08, 2010

how is it Gamestops fault that microsoft can't build a console? prolly shoulda stuck with the PS3 sucka.

bdennis02 Apr 27, 2010

Shut the ### up, all you have to do is just go to the manager say person didn't give you the disk, and he will help you out, quit your ###ing complaining. I'm so sick of [censored] customers with stupid problems like that, talk to us and we can help you.

G.Harrison May 28, 2010

Games come out and Gamestop usually receives them early like they said before release dates are dates where the game is release and is shipped to the stores and Street Dates are when they are actually already in the store also release dates change depending on the devolopers

G.Harrison May 28, 2010

That women does not know what she is talking about if she read right there is a warranty with her Xbox360 and they have a high failure rate and what i think is that her son probably was jacking around with it and she immediately takes his side. Gamestop takes in the consoles doesn't open them they are sealed already and sold they come with 30 day warranty and offer a year warranty if you said no then it's your problem.

G.Harrison May 28, 2010

I want to know did you see the advertisement that day and decided to go the next day?