Complaints & Reviews

Resolved in-store pickup

The several times that I’ve used the in-store pickup option on Gamestop’s website it’s been functionally worthless. Each and every time I’ve used it to have them hold an item for me, I’ve invariably received an e-mail saying that they’re oh-so-sorry, but they couldn’t find the item in stock at the location that I requested. The thing is, if I go to the store that I selected for in-store pickup and spend the extra bit of time that I was trying to save by using the option in the first place, I always find the item sitting on the shelf without fail. In fact, just this Tuesday I attempted to have them hold a game for me for in-store pickup that just came out that very day, and after getting the same e-mail I always get about how they were unable to locate it, I went in on the way home from work and was able to snag a copy with no problems.

So assuming that the request shoots out an e-mail that the clerks have to respond to, then it’s clear that they’re just marking the requested items as unavailable without bothering to look for them. If the request system just scans store inventory for available stock, then there’s a huge disconnect between what the store reports that they have in stock and what the website says that they have. Either way, there’s a problem there that could stand to be fixed. This sort of thing tends to create more ill will than it’s worth, and they’d be doing themselves a bigger favor by getting rid of the in-store pickup option altogether than they would be by keeping it around in its currently non-functional state.

went in to buy a magazine and came out with an unwanted subscription

I was in my local mall with my girlfriend when I decided to stop in at Gamestop. The one across from Old Navy. (There are two Gamestops in the mall and I don't know why). I came in looking for a new magazine that came out. I found the GameInformer magazine and brought it the register. I looked at the price of the magazine and it read $4.99. After the giving it to the clerk, he told me it came with a 'Gamestop Card'. I politely declined, but he insisted and said it was free. I was OK with this. However, he started to ask me for my address and phone number. I start to roll my eyes and figure he just wants to put me on mailing list. At this point, I'm a little annoyed but don't show it. I give him the information and he finally rings me up. When he's done he tells me the total is $14.99. I'm like, what the...? I don't say anything and give him my money. I was with my girlfriend at the time and I just wanted to get out of there without complaining. Afterwards, looking at my receipt, I noticed the magazine was on there and next to it in paranthesis, it said 12 issues. The 'Gamestop Card' is NOT free! I was conned and I let him con me. It is very annoying to find this out and if Gamestop allows employees to sell subscriptions to people without their knowledge, I will prevent people from buying from their store. It is deceitful and unfair.

• St
    Stanley May 26, 2011

pobarjenkins May 26, 2011

I hope you did what ILC mentioned.

OhWowReally May 26, 2011

Why didn't you just say "forget it" and walk away when the price came up as $14.99. That would have also been the way to do it without complaining. Do you really think your girlfriend would have cared if you complained at the store? If she wouldn't understand you complaining over a $14.99 magazine, you should dump her immediately as she is going to end up taking you for tons of $ during your relationship.

• Hc
    hco_lover1922 Jun 01, 2011

wow this whole thing is stupid a waste of 2 minutes...

OhWowReally Jun 22, 2011

Repeat post. Seriously dude, you got mocked like crazy when you posted this like a month ago. Are you really that bored?

• Fr
    freshjesh Jan 29, 2012

just got back from mall in hicksville, long island and figured out same situation.Manager sold me subscription to gaming mag, but in next sentence telling me i just saved $4.00 in actual spent extra $11.00 .I don't appreciate being b.s. I went back and returned subscription and will no longer shop at a store that conducts business this way.

Resolved employee lying

Oh you will love this one. I'm going to start with the first problem. I went to trade in a 360 Battery...

Resolved rude angry verbal manager

Worst experience I have ever received from anywhere in my entire life. Me and my wife walked into the...

Resolved blatent lieing to garner sales

I went to Gamestop this afternoon to pre order a copy of Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition. For the...

Resolved poorly run, sell non-working discs and

The Gamestop at Memorial city mall has continually sold me bad games. Three times have i bought a game from...

Resolved horrible manager and customer service!

When: Feb 15, 2011 The people, particularly the manager, IGNACIO, are very unprofessional and could care...

Resolved uniform deceptive trade practices act

GameStop is breaking the Law. The Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act prevents a common GameStop practice of gutting brand new games then selling them as New. GameStop should have an open box policy, but sadly they don't. We need to call them on this ### and end this once and for all. Under FTC law GameStop is practicing FRAUD

OhWowReally Jan 29, 2011

That is interesting. My guess is that it is not an illegal activity considering Gamestop has done this for like...ever.

• Us
    Useurhead Mar 05, 2012

Then dont buy the open copy dipshit

Resolved exchange/return

Someone please explain to me how I can buy a $50 game and the next day return the same item because it was too hard for my son and only get $16??? What happened to my other $34?? I think if you can buy a used game and take it home, play it, and than have 7 days to figure out if you like it or not or if it is too hard, and if you dont like it you can take it back for a full refund, yet how are you suppose to know if a new game is too hard for you without opening the package???

• Ro
    Rockster Dec 29, 2010

This HAS to be the most ###ed post I have EVER read...If you don't like your meal and you have eaten it, do you expect the money back???

Returning a game, allows YOU the end user to copy it and give it back. There are reasons there are ratings on these games, try using them...

pobarjenkins Dec 29, 2010

You do realize that once you open a new game, that they can no longer sell it as new? It becomes used, and why should they have to eat the cost, when it's your fault? Next time wait for the game to circulate and rent it or borrow it from a friend. Or buy it and sell it on amazon or ebay.

Also, other companies don't take game returns at all due to anti-piracy laws. Be grateful.

Jay Wx Jan 24, 2011

wow, sounds like a whole lot of gamestop managers and employees on this page.
    fact...if you do not like an item, you should be allowed to return it...used or new, doesnt matter one single bit.
    this is a bait and switch. if you bought this game at walmart or target, you would get 100% of the purchase price plus tax back when returned with a valid receipt. this is a joke on gamestops part, or fraud.

pobarjenkins Jan 25, 2011

"fact...if you do not like an item, you should be allowed to return it..."

That's not a fact, that's an opinion. I disagree because there are a lot of services that offer people the ability to rent games. I always rent games before I buy, or play them with someone else who may have bought them.

As I said in my other response, you should search up the Target and Walmart complaints that involve people being angry about not being able to return games at all.

You do realize that no company has to do returns at all right? I don't really care for gamestop myself, but it's still a business.

OhWowReally Jan 29, 2011

"if you bought this game at walmart or target, you would get 100% of the purchase price plus tax back when returned with a valid receipt."

Wow, no you would not. Take a look at their policies next time. If the game is unopen, then yes, Walmart and Target will give you 100% of your money back. If it is open, they will only exchange it for the same game, which they will open before they give it to you.

It is not a policy from company to company. It is a law, thanks to all the illegal copying of media. It is the same with DVDs and CDs as well.

Next time before you "blind buy" a game for your kid, you should rent it first, see if they like it, then buy it.

Resolved gift receipt fraud

I purchased a game for $59.99 and asked for a gift receipt. Later realized I purchased the wrong game and could only find the gift receipt. Went with the gift receipt to exchange for the correct game. When they processed the transaction they said I was only getting $39.99 for the game that I purchased for $59.99. I had to pay another $20.00 for the new game. I proceeded to find the original receipt and went to Game Stop to ask them why the gift receipt was not showing up as $59.99. They never really explained why the gift receipt didn't show up as $59.99, but returned my original purchase and re-purchased the item at $39.99.

I thought the whole reason for gift receipts is so they hold the price you paid, without giving the person an original receipt. I have the receipts and if I can attach later I will try. Total Scam...

• Df
    dfunke21012 Jan 08, 2011

I'd say that's a double cross and false advertising if I've ever heard of it. And legally it's against the law. It's called the bait and switch and it is fraud. You should sue them big time.

con artists

I've had a couple of run ins with these losers. They were both at the Barksdale Air Force Base LA branch (the Army and Air Force Exchange Service has a contract w/ Game stop to operate locations in exchange malls on various bases- to supplement their own stores game selections. Since they're an AAFES contractor, they can't get away with as much, or they'd be kicked off the base. Though they try!)

My first run in with these clowns was last Christmas. When a Game Stop Goomer told me I shouldn't buy a PS2 for my kid because they've stopped making the games. I should go ahead and fork out for a PS3 from them. I contacted Sony and they said that was a lie. So I contacted Game Stop. I got a quick response from there regional military manager(probably because I threatened to contact AAFES officials and the US govt. about their underhanded sales tactics. Don't want to lose their sweet contract scaming military families) He pretty much groveled and offered a $20 gift card as an apology to what was claimed to be a misunderstanding because of a less than well trained salesman.

Second run in was just recently. Our son went behind our back and went in to the store to trade a DS game he'd been given for a birthday(original price was $29.95 now $16-20 retail). Well my wife and I were pissed about it. So we told him he was going back to the store to get it back, while we browsed elsewhere. He took his game card and a $5 bill I'd given him (figuring they'd want to make a profit)and get the game back. He comes back and tells us he doesn't have enough, they want $17.99 for his game, they tell him that if he'd come back sooner they could of done something (we'd been gone all of 30 minutes, how *** soon do they mean?)I told my son to give me the game card and the five bucks. My son went to look at toys, my wife came with me to the game stop. Now I'm a fairly husky guy, with a broad chest and a booming voice. I don't use this technique on every store I have a problem with, but since I'd had a prior run in at this store, I decided to go with the bad *** approach. I walked in and noted three flunkies laying about. In my loud booming voice I announced; which one of you claims to be the manager? The smallest of them all had the nads to say he was (I didn't see it, but my wife says a couple of them jumped when I started talking)I told them I wasn't pleased with them ripping off an 11 year old, and we wanted the game back, and I wasn't paying no $17.99 for a used game that sells for about $10 used online. After some retail geek horse manure spewing from his mouth, about how he'd love to help me if I'd calm down.( All I'd done was raise my voice, and bugged my eyes out a little, I'd like to of seen his reaction if I'd started my phony tremors and spitting when I speak bit) After he and his techno geek retail bud got through punching in data, in a flurry of hands and feet. My wife and I walked with the game, minus of course the seven bucks they'd given my kid.

Bottom line; be tough with these clowns whatever store you're at. They charge higher than average prices on new and used games, they take advantage of both kids and adults naivety. Current policy is always whatever spews from their mouth at that very moment. If they think they can get away with it they will try it, but if you're going to spill the beans, and cause bad publicity, they seem like they'll cave. If you gotta shop here, beware of these corporate game crooks. better choices would be; Best Buy, Amazon, Half, Target, Wal-mart. or some local independent game retailer.

Resolved poor customer service

I am confused by the rudeness of employees a this location. Typically when customers are standing in a retail outlet with credit card in hand, ready to purchase, employees help them locate the product they are trying to buy and make a sale. Apparently this is not the GameStop business model. I tried to purchase a game for X-Box 360 at this location and was told it was not available. I asked if they could tell me where I might be able to buy this game. They were not willing to check another store location to see if the game could be purchased. Apparently employees at individual GameStop stores do not understand that their entire function is to enable consumers to purchase products. Pretty funny since I just heard an article one NPR this morning stating that video game sales are down 8% this year. I guess GameStop has plenty of sales - at least I hope they do since I went across the street and bought the game for $5 less at Best Buy. I will not be making future purchases at GameStop.

• Xm
    xmexshellx Dec 01, 2009

When I called this specific Gamestop today to ask them a question about my ps3 (if they knew if there is a master reset buton for the ps3) the woman on the phone RUDELY responded with a hint of sarcasm "well if you hold down the power button for 2 mintues and nothing happens, then its broke." and hung on up me right after. I didn't ask her in a rude or unpolite way I honestly just wanted to know. I believe that this person shouldn't have responded so rudely and later on I found out on the internet the simple solution. Gamestop employees should be more product savvy, be more helpful and know their products.

• To
    tonyrocks15 Dec 19, 2009

that will always happen there will always be employes that are ###s i have had exprience in costco and calling att for help

• Gh
    G.Harrison May 28, 2010

Although i don't mind helping people they are not your tech support. Have you ever thought of reading the manual it came with? or calling Sony's hotline.

• Li
    Ling Chi May 28, 2010

You can't ask people to RTFM, because they'd have to put an ounce of effort into solving their own problems and that's just not going to happen.

• La
    LATIA CRUTCHFIELD Feb 13, 2012

I agree my experience with game-stop made me not want to go back .This happened at game-stop on Pickin ave. bklyn I went there to buy a play station 3 + games stood in line for 1 hour & 47 min., got tried of waiting so I went to Best-Buy. while I was there they talk on the phone and do inventory more than attending to the customers while I was there 7 people walked out cause of the service . And I asked does game-stop need more workers the guy says YES BUT THERE TO CHEAP TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT EVERYWERE YOU LOOK YOU SEE A GAMESTOP
    Q: Two workers in the store twenty customers in the check out line inventory arrives
    what do you do ? I say sign for inventory than handle customers but, they don't do that they leave the reg.
    and go do inventory and leave us waiting.

Well I won't never go to game-stop in my life and my friends GAMESTOP IS DONE!

Resolved bad customer service

i went to gamestop yesterday to buy three simple games I spent alot of money on these three games i...

Resolved denial of promised pre-order item

About a week ago I went into a Gamestop to pick up a pre-ordered game, expecting the usual stuff; the disc, case, and a little code that allows you to download some special costume for the game on the PS3. After eagerly sitting down and playing the game for a bit, I realized there was no code to be found. After discussing this with a friend who got the same game under the same conditions from the same Gamestop, he told me that the code should be on the receipt. After scanning it for god knows how long there was none to be found. So naturally I went to the store to ask if I could simply get one.

The employee denied ANY claims that the code was for the PS3, and I spent around 10 minutes arguing with him, even showing a print out of the pre-order offer from their website that promised a code for the costume. Deciding that I didn't want to make a big scene I calmly told him that I would settle this with a DA or manager at a later date. Hearing this, he laughed at me while I left the store and told me to "Go to hell".

Thankfully I received the code from a much nicer employee that a friend of mine knew, but SERIOUSLY? This service isn't something I should expect because Im a courteous customer.

• Ci
    CitrusPOP Oct 25, 2010

They recently started it where we have to scan a code whenever anyone picks up a pre-order copy in order to print their code on their receipt, and I personally have forgotten codes. The person you dealt with though, he was a douche bag and should have printed out one by looking up your past reserves to verify.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Resolved misinforming customer and laughing at them

I walked into Gamestop in Hoboken, NJ on Sunday night to inquire about a game that was being released on Tuesday. I spoke to the customer service rep. and he said that they were going to have tons of them in stock on Tuesday. I went by the store on Tuesday and they said (2) copies were sold and (2) were on reserve and they had no others. I became slightly angered and as I was leaving they were laughing at me for no apparent reason other than I got a little angered. The stores members are inconsiderate and do not care about their customers.

Also, when I try to complain to corporate, there is no online form and every time I tried calling it kept saying that all customer service representatives were busy and they could not accept my call. What kind of busch league company is this?

Resolved naughty bear!!

Bought this lame # game for 60$ and after two weeks after purchase its opened played a couple of times. so when taken back they wouldnt consider a trade in for a 40$ wii game, naughty bear was still 60$ on shelf new 55$ used. the best they could offer was 10$ trade in. wt[censored] are all gamestop employees told to rip off us average gamers dissatisfied with crappy games??? I hope gamestop goes out of bussiness and there ceo gets thrown out in the streets for being the biggest con artist in the world!!! gamefly all the way!!! I give gamestop customer service a f - for being greedy dicks!!!

• Ev
    Evolus Nov 04, 2010

The Gamestop policy covers returns on NEW games within the first month, ONLY if they are unopened. If it's been opened, the best we can do is give you credit.

Secondly, trade-in credit is determined both by the amount of stock we carry of that particular game, and how new it is. If that particular store already had 7 copies of Naughty Bear, 10 bucks would have been a lucky price. No Gamestop, however, is going to give you cash or store credit in the amount that the game would sell for used. That's just unreasonable.

Resolved gamestop - customer service

I preordered two copies of Starcraft 2 in April. My order status page was updated to reflect the shipping of the items with an included USPS tracking number. Throughout the next week, I made numerous calls to Gamestop to verify the item was shipped since my personal tracking of the item always yielded "There is no record of this item." I was told after 15 business days from the date of shipment, I can request a refund; which I did. After I finish my phone call being told that I will receive a refund on my credit card within 3-5 business days, I think all is well. Now I have an email that was sent to me with documentation that must be filled out stating that I didn't receive the shipment. Unfortunately, the stupid affidavit documentation REQUIRES a notary which is a complete waste of my time and expense over a sub-$100 purchase. I called customer service again offering to sign the documentation WITHOUT a notary and they refuse. Apparently my only option remaining is to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I will NEVER be ordering from Gamestop again.

Resolved gamestop cheats for sales!

Gamestop cheats their way to get sales. In Downtown San Diego, CA there is a big mall called Horton Plaza. I work in this mall at Sam Goody, which we also sell games. I like my job, I work hard to sell things, and take pride in what I do. Gamestop is not far from my store. Sam Goody and Gamestop are the only two places in Downtown San Diego to buy video games.

Well I had heard stories of the associates at Gamestop talking crap about our business, and telling them not to go to Sam Goody to buy/sell/pre-order their games. So I decided to go do some recon before I had to go to work one day, and sure enough, as I was pretending to browse around I heard the associate tell a customer not to shop at Sam Goody as if it was part of his "And have a nice day". I am very outraged with this act because with the economy the way it is, it is unfair for a business to do something deliberate to try and ruin another company. It is very immature and a ### thing to do.

It's like, dude honestly? You seriously have to cheat to make sales? We are a much larger store than them and I can guarentee we make more than triple of what they make daily. If we wanted to we could do the same thing right back to them and it could most likely result in shutting them down. But there's a little thing we call integrity. And if any Gamestop employee reads this, well my advice to you is look up the word I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y.
Think about it, they can't even make sales for themselves without cheating. HA-HA grow up guys!

• Ki
    KixStar Jul 10, 2010

I didn't even know there were still Sam Goody's around. That place is too freakin expensive.

Anyonehiring? Jul 28, 2010

I'm a Store Manager for Gamestop. And I totally agree with the "Sam Goody" guy! If you only knew half the stuff this company does and how they treat thier employees. I'ts not the people within the stores, it's the "big people" in corporate. It's a "do or die" approach. And its only getting worse...

• Ci
    CitrusPOP Oct 25, 2010

Competition strives to make businesses better.

This is not a legit complaint about business practices. This is a legit whiny post.

• Ba
    Ballsanak Nov 25, 2010

You could ask for help, you know. Perhaps you could ask for help on your spelling too.

• IronGrudge89 Apr 09, 2011

Unless you're a Sam Goody CEO, why bother caring? Your "recon" isn't going to get any acknowledgement, let alone some sort of pay increase.

customer service

I went to my local Gamestop to trade in a game against an 18 rated game. As soon as i attempted to buy it the...

false advertisement

The new xbox 360 comes onto the market & I immediately went to reserve one for myself or pre-order. I head...