Frys Electronicsprotection plan

I purchased an expensive 30 inch Gateway monitor years ago after being talked out of purchasing a 30 inch Apple monitor. I also purchased a five year protection plan which was extolled by the sales person. My monitor was returned for repairs once which resulted in my using a loaner for about three months. My monitor was returned a second time for repair and Fry's said it was not cost effective to repair. Fry's insisted on replacing my unrepairable monitor with either a 27"HP or a 27"LP monitor, both of which were markedly cheaper and obviously smaller than the Gateway monitor I had purchased. Fry's refused to let me keep the 30" Apple monitor that they had given me as a loaner (the Gateway monitor I had originally purchase had been discontinued and the Apple monitor was the only 30 inch monitor sold at Fry's) The Service Department manager said I was getting a great deal as the protection plan had only cost me approximately $170 and I was getting a $300+ monitor. Rather than equate the value of the replacement with the original item, he kept focusing on the original cost of the protection contract. I wrote a letter to the store manager which in part complained about the service department manager. The store manager never responded and in fact gave the letter to the service department manager to handle. Some appeals system ! The service manager sent me a threatening letter stating I had refused his demands to return the Apple monitor I had been given as a loaner, which was a lie. I promptly brought back the Apple monitor and was given the smaller, inferior LG monitor. I have purchased many expensive items at Fry's, but will never purchase anything from them again. They went out of their way to be rude and disrespectful. Their protection plans are a joke. I highly recommend not shopping a Fry's. The primary basis of their customer service policy seems to be SPITE !

• Co
    Consumerist Dec 03, 2011

Extended warranties are high commission and not worth the paper they
    are WRITTEN ON ! Their prices are good, but their upsell and their lame
    attempts to open credit with them leave a lot to be desired. Some of
    their sales people in actual depts are good with their specialty, but
    other than that, but local from mom and pop stores. Better service,
    none of the nonsense.

• Ar
    arubino99 Apr 28, 2010

The entire reason they sell them is that they can make more money off the risk vs failure rate.

I agree completely with your complaint. You should have been given the equivalent/upgraded monitor, not a downgraded one.