FreecreditReport.comfalse ad/additional charges/shady oversees business

N

I went on to this site to view my credit report on 04/09/2012. The site advertises $1.00 credit reports and a $15 membership if you don't cancel within a certain time frame. I got in contact with a debt repair agency and they referred me to a different site. So I called freecreditreport.com to cancel and after asking the girl multiple times to STOP trying to get me to keep the account, it was cancelled. On 04/10/2012 I receive a call from visa reporting fishy charges to my account. I check my online statement and there is a $1.00 charge followed by a $31.95 charge by the same company!!! I called, outraged, and after speaking to this very stupid woman for 30mins about ethics and pop ups (I asked to speak to a supervisor after 5min and never spoke to one), I was put on hold. "Anne" in the "Philippines" told me her supervisor "Laura" said she could refund me HALF of the charge. No confirmation email, No last names, nothing to insure I'll get my money back. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!! ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE PROBABLY IS!!!

• St
    Stacie C Jackson Jan 02, 2008

My debit card was charged 11.95 for this service that i did not sign up for. I was applying for a free credit report.

• Ke
    Kendra Mar 24, 2008

The website asked for my credit card number just to verify my ss# and account information on my credit report. Now I have an unauthorized charge of 14.95 on my account. I did not agree to any type of service.

mark beisker Oct 30, 2008

I am suposte to unsuscribe by the 31st or ill get charged excepte they wont lete me like other comppneise they have a place to unsubescribe.

• Cb
    Cbs Nov 03, 2008

DON'T use freecreditreport.com! They sign you up for a membership without telling you. I've been charged for months without knowing, and they refused to refund the money. I only checked my credit one time months ago. It is a complete scam!!!

Andrea Nov 16, 2008

I went on to look at the company and signed up for a FREE credit report. Next thing I know they charged me 14.95 on my card. THAT I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE!!! This has got to stop! Be careful about what you read online.

• Je
    Jen Nov 16, 2008

Sounds like you were miss-informed, to get a free copy of your credit disclosure, you will need to go to annualcreditreport.com

• Br
    brianmac52 Jan 08, 2009

Can't cancel account with above credit report agency. Just put on hold everytime I try to cancel with no answer. Unhappy with service. I will call bank in the morning to advise them to refuse charge.

• Fr
    frank kohel Dec 19, 2009

I signed up for a free credit report which is certainly not free and was charged $29.95 one time and then a few days later 14.95 was charged.I did not authorized this and will be putting a stop payment on any more charges. This is definitely false advertising. Another scam on people

• Te
    Terence Engles Feb 19, 2010

They made two unauthorized withdrawals from my debit card account.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had this happen to them and has found a way to get their money back.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Joe Crews May 17, 2010

2nd month in a row to be charged after calling and canceling service. I did it for a one-time only need.

• La
    labeak Aug 14, 2010

I agreed to pat one dollar for a free credit report! They took out a dollar from my credit card and also took out 14.95! I did not agree to this charge. And to topit all off when i printed out my report only half of it printed!

• Co
    COMPL CREDIT REPORT Sep 01, 2010

FREE CREDIT REPORT MY ###. THEY ###IN CHARGE YOU FOR EVEN THOUGHT YOU CANCEL IN THE SAME DAY... tHEY CHARGE YOU $19.95.

• Ge
    George M. Gabor Nov 10, 2010

There is a recurring charge for $ 14.95 on my credit card, despite the fact that I cancelled this service on Oct. 13, 2010.
    The advertisement is misleading; there is nothing FREE about it.
    Please refund my $ 29.90 ASAP! Thank you for your attention. GMG.

• Td
    TDAGgreat May 04, 2011

free credit report is a rip off company that fooled both my girlfriend and myself out of 29.95 for a free credit report that actually was supposed to cost $1.00. WE were upset called the company to complain and thats as far as it went. Terrible people terrible company that leaves a bad taste in my mouth forever.

• Bo
    Bonita Bloesser Jun 01, 2011

free credit reort is still charging my credit card. I am through with the credit report & you keep billin my Mastercard. Thank you Bonita Bloesser

• Ac
    acm262aa Jul 05, 2011

Go to AnnualCreditReport.com. You are entitled to (1) free credit report per year for each of the (3) reporting agencies. No hooks, crooks or scams.

• Se
    seth Sep 14, 2011

I hate these commercials but they are really sticky and hard to stop singing.

But for the wrong reasons. I really think they could make ads that explain what it does with less dumbness.

• Ia
    iangreen23 Apr 11, 2012

FreeCreditReport.com
    I called to Cancel on same day that i signed to see my credit score for $1.
    The girl asked me some questions USING A VERY INTERESTING VOICE, then asked if i would like to continue the service at a lower price. I SAID NO< Just CANCEL the membership. Using the same INTERESTING VOICE she spoke a couple of sentences AT WHAT SEEMED A PRERECORDED, ACCELERATED SPEED, that i could not understand. Was obvious that it was accelerated speech. ILLEGIBLE, I said to her Please repeat, i didn't catch that.She then repeated slowly,
    WHAT she had said was, something like.
    Your membership will be cancelled immediately and YOU will only be billed only $16? . To which i replied, NO i will only pay the $1, I don't have any membership yet, I just signed up. Her voice changed and sail she will send an email with the cancellation, and i will be charged only $1.
    THE email is also deceptive
    We're sorry to see you go! This email confirms that we have received your request to cancel your Freecreditreport.com membership. No further charges will be applied to your credit card.
    IT does not mention WHAT further charges, ONLY $1 is to be charged.

LISTEN VEWWY CAREFULLUY, MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND BEFORE YOU SAY YES TO ANY QUESTIONS, OR ELSE YOU MAY SAY YES TO GETTING a bill for whatever amount you just said yes to, without understanding what was said.

• Na
    Natbuyingit Apr 13, 2012

I just checked my online statement and they credited my account half of what they charged me. So, I payed $18.00 to see my credit score when the site advertised $1.00. It's a loss but at least I got something back. The lesson to be learned is: never take anything at face value and ALWAYS look for information/scam alerts/reviews on ANY company you plan on giving your personal information to. It seems like a no brainer but us idealist want to believe so bad...

• Di
    diggerdelt Sep 03, 2012

I went on to check my report for $1. They charged me $34 and refuse to refund it saying I chose to view the $34 report. However, had it been clear that they were going to charge me $34 I never would have done it.