FlightNetwork.comadvertising (truth and accuracy of pricing advertised on their website)

R Sep 24, 2018 Review updated:

Do not book with Flight Network, save yourself from being overcharged due to exchange currency fees (hidden fees).

I purchased three RT tickets through their website on September 1, 2018, from Canada to the US. I made the booking at a price of CAD $2, 099.49 ($699.83/person). However, I was charged a total of $2, 214.51 excluding the seat selection fee of CAD $51.31. I have been charged $115.02 more than the agreed listed and booking price.

The prices were displayed in Canadian currency when I made the booking. The email confirmation that I received after booking stated that my credit card statement should show one or more charges that equal the total agreed listed price of $2, 099.49 in my email confirmation. I do not understand why customers are subject to foreign currency fee when the prices were clearly displayed in CAD. Importantly, the applicable Ts&Cs are not clearly displayed or disclosed before customers actually confirm the purchase. I have booked with other Canadian travel websites, such as cheapoair. ca and expedia. ca, and whatever amount is advertised on their website is what you pay for (there are no foreign currency fees, etc). Therefore, I was under the impression that Flight Network operates the same way as the other Canadian travel websites, and the fact that the prices were displayed in CAD currency.

I decided to book with Flight Network due to its cheaper price at the time, but after seeing the actual charges I would have never booked with Flight Network. This is my first time booking with Flight Network and I feel that I have been cheated by the system and its lack of transparency. The prices were falsely advertised on their website.

According to the Customer Care representative, their system recognized that I am a Canadian citizen and the fare had gone down a bit after the purchase was made. So the system, in order to give me a better fare & no exchange rates to be applied, voided the tickets & sent the transaction back to my card account in full. However, this was not the case, exchange rates were applied when they returned the transactions back to my account; hence, I received a much lower amount. I do not understand as to why they would refund me in CAD currency when my credit card was charged in USD. I was then subsequently charged with the new fare in Canadian currency without the exchange rates. For these reasons, I believe Flight Network does not operate fairly and cheats its customer by charging incorrect amounts and making transactions that do not makes sense.

• FlightNetwork.com's response · Sep 24, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As per our terms and conditions; foreign transaction fee and/or currency conversion fee can apply to Canadian credit card holders, if the booking is made with one of our suppliers based in the US or Europe. We do not take any responsibility for foreign transaction fee and/or currency conversion fee. Flight Network is a Canadian website that deals with many international vendors. When we display a vendor booking, using another currency, our website will show the equivalent to Canadian dollar amount.
    We would like to further investigate your reservation. Please email the details of your booking to [email protected] for further review.
    Kind regards,
    Flight Network

• Updated by RD01 · Sep 24, 2018

Thank you for your prompt response. I emailed the details of my booking to [email protected] on September 4, 2018 and there have been a few email correspondence between myself and a Customer Care agent. I have been trying to resolve the issue with the agent but I have been dissatisfied with the resolution and the explanations provided. The most recent response I received from the agent created more questions, particularly when the system refunded me the full transaction in order to give me a "better fare" when in fact my credit card was charged more than the booking price due to these hidden currency fees. Exchange rate was applied when they returned the transactions back to my account; hence, I received a much lower amount. I do not understand as to why they would refund me in CAD currency when my credit card was charged in USD, and then subsequently charged my credit card with the new fare in CAD currency without the exchange rates. It's just questionable.

Cheapoair and Expedia also deal with many international vendors and I have always been charged for whatever price is advertised on their Canadian website with no additional or hidden fees. And they're not even a Canadian company.

• Jl
    Jlo63 Dec 19, 2018

This is so true!
    I was taken for EXTRA $40.00 totaled $60.00 when before booking it stated the fee was $20.00!

• Jl
    Jlo63 Dec 19, 2018

One more thing. there is not such a thing as customer care at Flight Network, i called several times, it was always closed and there was never a manager available. the regular number 1 877 496 4815, always stated there was nobody available at customer care extension at the time I called!
    I asked customer service to have customer care; lef them my number, i was assured i would receive a call.
    I am still waiting today [12/19/18] and my initial request was on 12/13/18.