Fixya.cominvasion of privacy

I am reporting this “service” as being potentially destructive. I have a number of warnings from Norton AntiVirus that the IP address of 192.168.0.50which was traced back to FixYa.com has been making attempts to hack into my computer without my authorization ever since I worked with one of their ‘Experts” on 11/30/2010. I made the horrible mistake of allowing their "Expert" to have access to my computer. After enduring a sales pitch for a $300.00 annual service I informed FixYa that I only paid $350.00 for the brand new laptop and saw no sense in spending nearly the same amount for their technical support. The "Expert" then tried to sell me on a $30.00 package, at which time I disconnected the Internet hookup and restarted my computer. Within three days I was warned by Norton AntiVirus that "Norton has stopped an attempt to access your computer, " with one of the risk factors being "high." I traced the IP address given back to FixYa.com. Their "service Experts" have access to a person's computer even after a person disconnects the line, and they make full use of it.
I intend to file formal complaints against this "service” for these illegal and unauthorized attempts to hack into my personal information. I intend to warn people through blogs and possibly even my media contacts about how I sought their help and their company has made repeated attempts to attack my system. All of this information is documented in my Norton Antivirus profile. They will be hearing from me again.

RESOLVED

• Mi
    Mike2112 Mar 14, 2011

Comment on 2w3's post:
    Someone who knows their limitations on a subject is not inept.
    Attempting to operate, fix or otherwise do something without skill or knowledge in that particular area of expertise might be considered inept.
    For instance, you picking that IP as in house demonstrated certain knowledge of networking, yet from your post, one may still consider you socially and grammatically inept.

Just saying, read between the lines

• 2w
    2w3rtf6mdftr6 Mar 14, 2011

Note the address 192.168.0.50 is possibly your own computers ip address, or another computer in your house. This is a private ip range that is reserved for your own computers in the house, these addresses are not public, your so called attack did not come from outside your house.

You are paranoid and technically inept to trace any kind of so called "attack attempt" to your computer.

• Bo
    Bob_H Feb 26, 2011

Again I strongly suggest you place the experts name in the public domain as a warning to others who may use fixya.
    Experts like this are often still allowed to practise on Fixya who I am afraid dont always operate an open policy with regards to poor experts and it can take up to a year for them to deal with these types of person.
    Such experts could harm not only your computer but many others before being brough to book.
    Access to computers in this way should only be from a fully qualified tech that you trust implicitly as your personal information is also at risk.

• Fi
    FixYa Support Feb 16, 2011

We are always willing to assist you.
    Please contact [email protected] so that we can look into the matter and resolve it.
    Please send as much information as you can.

• Mi
    Mike2112 Feb 01, 2011

While it is easy to hold fixya responsible, it is an individual outside fixya that is actually to blame. This person abused the trust of both yourself and the fixya site. Don't let the issue drop with this one complaint.

Someone attempting this type of activity gives all legitimate experts and the site itself a bad name. I would very much like to see that the perpetrator gets what is coming to him. I'm sure you do to.

For that to happen some cooperation needs to occur. The sharing of information. Nothing personal about you. But as much as possible about the 'Expert' that you had contact with.

Necessary info to to track this person :
    The Expert name is indeed the key.
    The name you used on the site would be helpful, but not critical.
    The date of initial contact/ when the session occurred.

The more info the better.
    Let's get who is really responsible.

• Bo
    Bob_H Feb 01, 2011

I would be very interested to have the name of the expert in question

When you do a support session with Fixya you have a log of the session also known as a transcript.
    That may be very useful in getting to the bottom of this and if you dont have it there is still a copy over on FixYa.

BTW the IP you mention is not actually a Fixya one but that of a remote hookup from the expert direct.
    The IP also translates into an INTERNAL netwotk Ip that could come from a thousand locations.
    The expert name would be the key here