Fifth Third Bankcredit card application security

I received a credit card application that offered a 0% APR on balance transfers and mailed it to 5th/3rd in the enclosed postage paid envelope on August 20, 2010. Having not heard anything from 5th/3rd, I became increasingly concerned, considering it has my social security number as well as other personal information and today is September 14, 2010.

I called today only to be treated as though I had done something wrong. The customer service person told me if the offer period expired, the application would be shredded and I would not receive any notification. I then told her I was extremely worried about my personal information being in the wrong hands and she told me, "You should have applied online if you are concerned".

I then explained that the website was down on the night before it was mailed (as it still is www.apply53.com) and I was of the impression that a postage paid preprinted envelope would make it to its destination.

She responded with "You should have called, we are open until 8PM Eastern Time". There was absolutely no concern as to the security of my personal information, contrary to what the website states. Furthermore, when I asked her advice as to what I should do next, I was told I could call back everyday until it comes in.

In twenty-five days I would think an envelope could make it to Australia and back. I am thoroughly displeased with 5th/3rd, will NEVER do business with them, and will ALWAYS recommend another financial institution over 5th/3rd.

• Fr
    FrustratedAlso Jun 04, 2011

I also was not able to apply online. Their website "was not available" on t he same day I received the offer.

• Gl
    Gloria Chan Feb 02, 2016

I received one of these soliciting mail allegedly from Fifth Third Bank. The website still not available. I googled the phone number and there was one complaint saying it's a p site. Can't believe they are still doing it after 5 years ! Very dodgy indeed. I took the time to write to Fifth Third Bank from their official website to let them know about this possible scam but they said there's some technical problem and my message did not go through. Don't trust this bank. Beware.

• Kr
    kristelraniel Jul 13, 2016

Hey post ! I Appreciate the points - Does anyone know if my assistant would be able to get access to a sample a form copy to fill out ?

• Ka
    KathleneBasinger Jul 20, 2016

Hi kristelraniel. my colleague acquired a blank a form example with this link http://goo.gl/Eb2BEy