FerrellGaslow usage fee

Ferrellgas has charged me a fee for NOT using a service. I pay an annual rental fee for their propane tank, and they have the arrogance to charge a fee for not filling the tank every year. I do not have that in writing on the agreement I signed with Ferrellgas, and they cannot tell me when the charge started to be in effect. From my understanding of Interstate Commerce law (Ferrellgas is based in Kansas I believe), a person cannot be charged if no goods or services are exchanged. This is quite different than an annual credit card usage fee, the service I am getting is the right to use the card if I wish, and I am paying for the line of credit. In this case, I already pay for the 'priviledge' of having this company provide me with propane, by paying the rental fee, and then I pay for the gas I consume in addition to the rental fee. But, in this case, no goods or services are being exchanged, so how is the fee lawful? Anyway, I was able to find a company in Sarasota that does not charge a 'low usage' fee (Detweiler's Propane), and hopefully others can find local providers that are not into illegal gouging.

• Ta
    TAMI61 Aug 04, 2014

They charged me 99.99 no-use fee and then a month later are charging me again 99.99. How can this company get away with charging people like this. They need to be put out of business. I'm still waiting on a return call from them

• Ro
    Roxann C Oct 22, 2011

They are trying to do this to me also. They said the tank was an asset to the company, I offered to buy it. They said they would sell it to me for $600 if I would purchase 200 gallons of gas too-for the total of approximately $1, 100. We have 40% left in the tank, I told them to come and get it and just reimbuse me for the unused propane. They said all sales are final, they wouldn't buy the gas back. So I guess I'll pay the $50 no-use fee so I can use the remaining $500 worth of propane left in the tank.