Erie Insurance ExchangeDenial of legitimate claim

I live in a neighborhood that was hit hard in a big hail storm last year. Because of the damage, every one of my neighbors has had their roof replaced by their homeowner's insurance - except us. We are unfortunate enough to have Erie Homeowner's insurance. Even though there was obvious damage shown us by the roofing contractor, the adjustor said there wasn't enough. Now, I want you to know that homes in this subdivision are fairly close together, so it's inconceivable that ours is the only house in the whole neighborhood to be spared damage. And, as all the houses were built at approximately the same time, it's not an issue that we had newer shingles. I think that the "independent" Adjuster denied the claim to keep the Company happy. Anyway, I appealed the decision but to no avail. I just want everyone to know that Erie Insurance can't be counted on when you really need them. We have been a policy holder for many years and they certainly don't appreciate customer loyalty.

• Pm
    PM1 Nov 13, 2011

I had the same problem with ERIE. They do everything they can to deny claims. I have had both auto and homeowners with them for over 15 years. When the hail cam through the area, I was in the same situation with them. We are the ONLY house in the neighborhood that did not get a new roof. In fact, Erie paid several roofing "engineers" to come and dispute the claim after I disputed the claim when their adusters came out. The first adjuster saw damage. Apparently the roof must have miraculously healed itself as the second adjuster saw no damage. I showed him the damage to the chimney vents and the skylights. The reports came back with "no damage". ERIE INSURANCE SUCKS when it comes time to actually help you out. They're really good at taking your money for years and years, but when you need it most, they'll pay their "independent" adjusters to file false claim reports so they don't have to pay. Simply criminal.

• Le
    Lerie Erie Apr 03, 2012

I had Erie Insurance Exchange ultra cover policy and auto. I turned in a claim and of course they denied it so I sued them in small claims and won $18, 662. Of cours they appealed to circuit court in Wilson County, TN. The case # is 15301. It's public info and good info at that, if I may add. I was awarded $64, 288 for the claim and $16, 072 for Erie acting in bad faith. Of course they appealed again. I guess they don't like a good ole hillbilly whupazz!!! Anyhoo, they got two of them thus far. Fight these yahoos in court for your legitimate claims people. Don't take my word for it, call the circuit court in the above county and get the results for yourself. I've had fun playing with these Erie yahoos! Have A Great Day!!!

john pratt Jun 13, 2014

I am looking for homeowners that have filed claims against Erie and have been denied in New York. The best way to defeat them is with a class action. I have a bad faith claim against them now and it is a whopper. In order to obtain punitive damages within NY you have to prove that Erie is conducting this bad faith to the general public. Anyone who would like to converse on this issue can contact me at [email protected]

• Jb
    jbw500 Jul 01, 2016

I had the same experience with Erie Insurance in Ohio. Eight out of nine houses next to mine (front, back, left and right) had roof replaced by other insurance companies after they submitted a claim. Erie denied my claim. Something needs to be done about this company. Lawyers please take note... class action???