Complaints & Reviews

Rip off

My engine went up and they are refuseingt to pay as i see on line now they are a complete ripp off i am going...

Full Payment but Out of Business

Because of hard selling a good promises, I was scammed. On May of 2008 I was offered Freedon Plus warranty for more than $2300 plus.
Made payments directly from my bank till April of 2010. Now I need my warranty for repairs " as promised". I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS!!! How can I get my money back and? I am shaking in anger>>>

Refusal of claim

Submitted a claim to Continental Warranty, Contract #: GP20-148122. Requesting repair of a device with the timing chain. Our warranty is supposed to cover engine, transmission, and transfer case.
As far as I am concerned the timing of the engine is part of the engine. Continental claims this part is not covered. WHY? This makes no sense to me. Can you help me with this isssue? Thank you.

Norman Prevatte
[protected]

Money scam

I paid for my "coverage"(thats a joke) in full when i purchased my car. It was preowned, so i thought better safe than sorry. Boy was i sorry. The car broke down in october and was not fixed until December. Noone, myself or the shop could ever get a hold of a rep, they never return calls, and i had to pay for some things myself b/c i needed *** done dammit! I was never provided with any transportation, and it is a pain to find rides to a full time job for 2 *** months! I have been promised a refund check for some of the work. hello 2 months later. Still no sign. out of $1200 of work, they paid about $300. This policy cost me almost $3000! They are scam artists.

Missrepresentation

Very Limited Coverage, and 100% literal interpretation.

I have had Continental Warranty for four years now. Initially told all parts but normal wear items are covered. This is a lie. Sales tactics are deceitful. I said I wanted a bumper to bumper and was promised that the plan I had was the "premier plan" with everything I wanted.

I did a quick review once I got the policy and thought ok with what told. First two claims I was satisfied, not wow, what great coverage, but satisfied, bills broke out about 75% covered parts. I never did read the fine print as it made common sense what they were covering.

The newest claim however, towing was fine but repairs are contested. The company switched attitude from the past. Replacement is with "like" part. That is a used part (alternator). Like to me means OEM/aftermarket. I am very hesitant to use essentially junkyard parts on a BMW even if it is older, 2000 740il.

Further, the "bumper to bumper" was not true. Only the exact listed parts are covered, absolutely nothing else. So a part of the cooling system that controls a covered part is not a covered part.

My advice is to be cautious of any sales representations and never agree to buy until you fully understand what limited coverage is actually provided. Read and know what you are getting and understand they will use the strictest, most literal interpretation possible. Looking back at the old bills, that was consistent with the past.

As to dealing with the claims, up to this one, never had a problem. This one, a much different perspective. Nothing amounting to "bad faith" but I think now that I am near the lose money point for repairs, not the same personality or willingness to work with the repair shop and customer. I don't think they expected the warranty to last this long as I have about 11, 000 miles per year on the car and the warranty was for 50, 000 miles or 5 years.

Shame, because prior I liked and probably would have used on my next car once I get done enjoying foreign countries and worse because I previously actually recommended the company because of the professional experience with them.

I can not continue to recommend and will not repurchase.

• Re
    Reptile Dec 16, 2009

I filled a claim for a torque converter yesterday And was told to leave the truck in the shop. I then asked what about my rental they said that they have to approve the claim first to approve a rental so I waiting to see what the out come will be. will post my result once my claim is handle.

Huge mistake

I made the HUGE mistake of contacting Continental Warranty about a newly purchased used vehicle. I filled in out their online survey, and a few others. I got a call from Continental Warranty the next day, and spoke to a sales rep, and informed them I was looking into my options. He asked what kind of quotes I was getting, and would call me back when he was more informed about what they may offer me, and the quotes I had already gotten. Later that night Continental Warranty and their sales rep called me back. I informed her I had spoken to other gentlemen at the company and was waiting to hear back from him. She still wanted to get me in their system, and go over the policy, and coverage's. That was fine, but after 15 minutes, and her giving me a quote $1000 higher the everyone else. I ask her to email me the policy so I could look it over and compare it to the others, and I would base my decision after I looked up each company. All of a sudden I would guess her boss jumps on the line, and starts asking where I 'm doing my research, and had a total fit over the fact that I was looking them up in the Illinois State Dept website. He was telling me to look them up on the BBB. When I refused and told him I wanted to make sure they were licensed in my state, he lost it! All of a sudden I was some dumb female to him, and that I had no clue as to what I was talking about. He was asking who the competitors underwriters where, and a lot more.

Final when I got a chance to speak I told that the other company could not offer me a better package or price. I told him that if he wanted my business to email the policy, Jim cut me off mid sentence, and was ranting and raving on the phone when he asked me who was going to look over my policy for me. But I never could finish a sentence because he kept talking over me, and asking how I like it, and how I felt when someone cut me off. (I never interupted him, Not Once even with his demeaning attitude).

I finally let him have it ! When I informed him that I was not some stupid female, and that I worked at an Attorney's office, and that I 'm sure one of the Attorney's would love to talk to him, and discuss the policy and his attitude. And then told Jim not to contact me ever, and that I would take my business elsewhere, and hung up on him.

Warranty dispute

I purchased a continental warranty for my truck. After 4 months I had oil and coolant mixing and the truck...

Rip off artist

After spending over $2800 on the 100, 000 warranty, my cars wiring for the turn signals went bad. Come to...

They are out of business and taking unauthorized funds from mybank account.

Continental Warranty has gone out of business, they sold my contract to some other company and this company...

Failure to Refund

I purchased this warranty in November of 2004, paying an extra fee to get the "guarantee price refund, " where you get your premium refunded if you don't use your policy in the four year period. I complied with their instructions to claim my policy amount, they confirmed my refund amount and I faxed them all the necessary paperwork in November, 2008. Now, they don't even have a working phone number. Even the phone number on the website rings "busy" when you try to call. All other numbers that have worked in the past are not working. Either they have gone belly up, or something strange is going on. The numbers I have tried that do not answer are [protected] and [protected]. The web number that continually rings busy is [protected]. Are there others who are having this difficulty? Is there anyone out there who may be able to offer some advice?

• Ke
    Kevin Polster Jan 30, 2009

I have had the same problem with continental warranty, a check
    for the Guaranteed price refund was to be sent out to me on Sept 30 08 I still have not recieved anything, I called today, the phone is
    busy. I wonder if they are sending any checks at all. What can we Do!!! Kevin Polster Wisconsin

sapperwife washington Jul 06, 2009

I purchased my first warrentee in 2004 and had great service in Alaska with my WA policy. when I sold my truck they transfered my policy over to the new vehical the only issue was they no longer offered the military discount and they have respond quickyly to any claims and requests they also had the check ready to be sent once I verified millege and usage was recieved. I did how ever have a hard time tracking down the correct number to call but the number is given if you call the original 800 number. The new number is 866-773-6442. They were very helpful w/ my concerns.

• Vj
    vjvicari Jan 09, 2012

I am unable to reach this company to honor their warrenty. All numbers are dead and a new company with the same name denies any connection to Continental Warranty in WA

Scam and lies

2002 Ford SUV was sold 06/02/2008. Notified Continental warranty by faxing all information require based on...

Awful experience

I had been looking around for a warranty for my 2004 Mitsubishi w/105, 000 miles. I received a call from Continental and several other companies but for some reason decided to talk with Continental. Like others that have written their experience with them I as pressured into giving a $295 deposit in order to get a complete warranty Agreement. I must have been off my medication - I really never do something like this. That was May 23, 2008.

I took the Agreement o my mechanic and had said he didn't think it was comprehensive enough and couldn't understand what the deal was with putting 'the special sauce' in the radiator (I'm being very kind here). So on June 24, 2008 I called the manufacturer and Continental as required in the agreement. I was told I would receive the refund in 3-4 weeks

July 30, 2008 I call to inquire about the refund and was told it would hit in the next 5 days.

August 5, 2008 no refund so I call again. Here is the great part; I was told that they were running behind and had no idea when I would receive a refund. When I said I was going to deny the original charge they said that was the best thing to do. Whatever.

• To
    Tom Kuremsky Nov 25, 2008

I got had by Dura Lube and their sales organization, administrator and lube organization. Bought the contract by phone while on the road for my wife before her '04 Cadillac SRX went over 50, 000 miles. We never got the contract or the product. We put down $400 and made 4 payments of $125 when we called to make use of our extended warranty, as our
    car had just turned over 56, 000 miles. We got nowhere for three weeks of calling to make use of the warranty, by supplying service records per munufacturers spec's and the On Star dates of service. They denied the claim so we repaired
    tee car for $2100.

Stay away

Their 30 days unconditional money back guarantee is totally bogus. I have been trying to get my deposit refund for nearly 6 weeks and still have not seen a dime. After numerous email and phone calls, I had to submit a credit card dispute with my bank -- hopefully my bank will have better luck than I do. These Continental Warranty people are nothing more than cons artists. Stay away from them!!! You have been warned!

There are many other credible extended warranty businesses out there. Please do your diligent research to avoid the unnecessary headaches.

Just another pissed off customer trying to get even.

• Yu
    Yuriy Sep 13, 2008

i am waiting for the same for 90 days already...

Beware

I was talked into buying this great sounding warranty (I’m a sucker) &later realized that I would never be able to afford it. As soon as I received the paperwork in the mail I called & cancelled my warranty. The guy told me they needed a written cancellation, so I emailed them on 06/09. I just received my refunded down payment today 07/23, 43 days from canceling. I did call &ask where my refund was & the one time they said it should be there Friday... that was a load of crap. Meanwhile, I received several overdraft fees in my account, which was my stupid fault, because I actually thought they'd get my money back to me at a reasonable time. They said 4-6 weeks for the refund, it was 6 weeks & 1 day. They had my money sitting in some account making them money for 6 weeks. Waste of Time!

• Po
    POkiki Oct 07, 2009

I purchased an extended warranty for my 2017 Yukon XL in 2017 when I purchased my truck. Last week my truck started making a noise so I took it into the dealer. They said it sounded like an engine problem, so will call the warranty company to get authorization. Well you can believe my shock when they called me back to tell me that the insurance would not cover because I had modified the engine. Total shock as the only thing I did was change the air filter to a K & N filter which is a better filter than the stock one it comes with. They said that if I had a cheap stock one on it they would have authorized the repair. I told them that I was advised by the dealer to get that filter. They said it was not their problem and they would not authorize the repair. I told them the air filter did not have anything to do with the engine problem and they said "NO". This is not the first time they have declined a repair with this truck. In 2017 I had to have the transmission replaced, and their reason for refusal was that I stood up in flood water and got water in the transmission. Never happened!!! This company is a total RIP OFF!!! They just scam people out of their money. DO NOT USE CONTINENTAL WARRANTY!!!

• Ka
    Kadence22 Feb 16, 2011

My adjuster told us they were sending a tow truck to our chevy dealer on the 3rd of february, because the chevy dealer was $45.00 a hour higher than someone they found ( who knows what kind of work that they do) well today is the &th and my car still sits at the chevy dealer. we only have 2 cars and my husband works night work, we asked about a rent a care also on the 3rd, still waiting for that response, . I guess that would of made the chevy dealer cost sound pretty good, it is now 10 days and the car hasn't been started yet. Am I pissed what would you think!

Scams

I filled an online add in order to receive some magazine subscriptions with some rock tickets I purchased. One of them was for and extended warranty for my truck. The next day or so I had received a call from them and was amazed by the total package that they were willing to give me.

Going against all that I felt, I gave in to the $245 investment up front; that was unconditionally refundable within the 45 day waiting period. Which I haven't received back yet more than a month after I waited the 15 days it took to initiate any eligible work, and the six to eight weeks of "processing time".

I called on the 19th day because my alternator went out which I was kind of happy about since my warranty had just kicked in. I took it to the shop and Con-Warranty said I haven't driven 1K miles that was "in the contract" (which they never told me about) and I was pissed to say the least. I bought the alternator my self and did all the work.

I have been at them for weeks to try to get my refund and with no avail I keep trying. They say it will come this week, then next week, then the week after...

lonnie Jul 15, 2008

You are reading a comment by a client who tried to committ insurance fraud by signing up a vehicle that within 2 weeks needed a repair.

We denied the claim as being pre-existing, any sensible business would have and we offered the client a 30 day window to cancel our contract without penalty.

I find it disturbing that the person who wrote this complaint admitted to trying to file a pre-existing claim and called us crooks and a scam when he was obviously trying to rip us and our insurer off.

Any legitimate clients who would like to know about our underwriting period and also what we consider a pre-existing claim please contact us.

• St
    steve Aug 11, 2008

Very high pressure!

Angel Hernandez Oct 12, 2008

The same happen 2 me, its been 4 months since, I cancel and never got my deposit... I even fax them my cancelation notice before it expire, and call multiple times and no respond. BEWARE!!! I cancel before the 1 month.

Nothing but empty promises

This rep Mike with Continental Warranty told my husband he needed our credit card number in order to process the paperwork but we wouldn't be charged the $295 down payment until the paperwork was signed. They hit our credit card that day. My husband finally got someone to answer on one of the phone numbers, others just ring, and was told that if he sent an e-mail stating he was cancelling that he would get an e-mail back acknowledging the cancellation and that the charge to our account would be credited, also said it shouldn't have gone through until the signed paperwork was returned. Now it's 12 days later they won't return calls or respond to e-mails. I wouldn't recommend this company to an enemy - nothing but empty promises and lies so far. Looks like a call is necessary to the State Attorney General in our state and theirs.

• Al
    alvijn maynard Sep 29, 2008

Stay away from purchasing this warranty. First of all they do not pay the nationally published labor rates. They pay only $78 a hour. You can not find a shop that has labor rates under the warranty amount. Secondly they do not pay for the actually hours stated by the repair shop. You may have a $100 deductible but you will end up paying much more. You can go thru a arbitrator according to the contract and if you lose, you pay the full cost of arbitration. They do not tell you that you can take them to small claims court. If you lose there you are only out of the court costs. I will see them in court.

They insulted me

I submitted a request for an extended auto warranty quote to Continental Warranty today. They called me back quickly and gave me a spiel about how I could get "certified" coverage but only if I acted today. The coverage seemed like a pretty good deal to me, so I was actually considering. All I needed to do was read the policy to determine the actual value.

Continental Warranty required me make a refundable deposit of at least $550 just to review the extended auto warranty contract. When I told them I wasn't comfortable with that policy they put a manager on the phone to try and sell me.

Instead of convincing me that I should put that amount down just to review the contract, he attempted to bully me into buying the coverage. He tried to change the issue by telling me that I was lucky that anyone would insure my 1998 Honda Accord with 117, 000 miles on it and asked how I could possibly imagine an insurance company would cover my car for the great price they quoted me.

I told him that I figured the insurance company had plenty of actuaries that had calculated the risks implicated in taking on coverage for a vehicle similar to mine and determined the proper price to make a profit. I then told him that my issue wasn't with the coverage at all, but with the policy of requiring a down payment to even consider the coverage contract.

At that point he got belligerent with me. I could not believe that someone trying to sell me $1700 worth of insurance coverage would insult me. I told him "Thanks for 'unselling' me." "Goodbye."

lonnie May 21, 2008

I find it very funny that every complaint I hear about this company about being high pressure comes from a car like this. A 10 year old car with 117, 000 miles and you cannot understand why they won't let you sign up whenever you want? Wow, if you really want to be insulted go to Honda and ask them to put Honda care on this vehicle, it hasn't been eligible for 7 years and 71, 000 miles. And the funny thing is, they built that car and haven't offered a warranty option in over 7 years. If someone else reads this and thinks I am out of line I am sorry, but calling someone high pressure for asking a client with this old of a car doesn't seem out of line to me, it seems like common sense.

• G
    g Jun 07, 2008

Lonnie is an idiot. Just google "continentalwarranty +scam" and you will find pages and pages of people with all types of cars, including newer cars, who payed for the warranty, but then were denied coverage when something broke.

ContinentalWarranty is clearly a scam based on taking huge insurance payments and simply not paying out when the problems occur.

I think Lonnie must work for Continental if he says "every complaint I hear..." and hasn't even bothered to Google "continentalwarranty +scam".

ContinentalWarranty is a total scam.

chris Aug 07, 2008

oh thanks i will not buy their warrenty they smell fishy and i don't like fishy, you probably saved me about $1, 000, 000 or at least a lot o head pain thank-you

Bryan Queen Aug 14, 2008

I ordered a warranty from Continental and decided it was too much money and cancelled it. Can anyone tell me why it takes them 4-6 weeks to refund a Credit Card ? When you go for a refund at Target you get it immediately or at most within 24 hours it shows up. Apparently, the company has no idea what customer service is. I would HIGHLY reccomend that anyone NOT BUY a warranty from them.

I called twice and talked with FABIO a Customer Service Rep there and was insulted and hung up on twice. Now I know why I canceled my contract with them; it was just a gut feeling that they had some issues.

The company is a SCAM and I filed a BBB report on them as well as lodged a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency. Please be advised if you buy a warranty from them you are going to get SCREWED.

Bryan Queen Aug 14, 2008

I ordered a warranty from Continental and decided it was too much money and canceled it. Can anyone tell me why it takes them 4-6 weeks to refund a Credit Card ? When you go for a refund at Target you get it immediately or at most within 24 hours it shows up. Apparently, the company has no idea what customer service is. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone NOT BUY a warranty from them.

Very high pressure

I called to get a quote on a car I was just looking at meaning I do not own the car, and they told me that when I did choose to buy the car that when I did call back that the cost of the warranty would be even higher than it was to begin with.

I was repeatedly encouraged to lock in the rate by charging the down payment to my credit card even thou I don’t yet own the car I was inquiring about the warranty for.

Sounded like excellent coverage, but with the high pressure sale I felt more like I was speaking to a used car salesman so I hung up on them, the end...

Bri Apr 28, 2008

I used to work for Continental and trust me. . . don't give them your money. First of all the whole "you must sign up now today or you will have to pay more" ( 12% financing as opposed to 0%) is just a lie or a sales tactic as they like to say. They don't have 12% financing or anything else, they only have 0%. Their sales reps don't do call backs. They go for one extremely high pressure sales pitch and if you want to review the literature or talk to your spouse or simply think it over for a few days they tell you that you will have to pay more and you won't receive the first time applicant incentives, which is a straight up lie. The reason they don't want to give you any time to review any literature is because they know once customers get the opportunity to go over the plans they will see the ###. For instance, they may cover your repair but you've got to pay for the diagnostics breakdown. Also, the administrators must agree with the mechanic as to the cost, cause and cure of the claim. . . good luck with that. The company is notorious for complaints to the BBB, and the customer service reps are up to their eyeballs in furious customers who have just discovered the rub. Sales reps make up to 150 calls a day and may only close 3-4 and of those, 1-2 may only actually keeping to coverage after they review the plans. You should never trust any company with a NOW OR NEVER sales pitch, there is always a catch.

• Ri
    Rick Oct 02, 2008

Today 10/01/2008 I am truly a victim. Everything posted above is true. Hopefully I can still get my full refund as the sales representative have promised... which I doubt. Experienced the pressure by the rep to close the deal, I told the rep that I am ready for dinner and call me back in 30mins, and she stated "what difference does it make if we close the deal now" then mentioned that they can't give me the same rate. I am not aware that people can lie here in U.S. just to sell their products. It's a shame. Felt bad.

lonnie Oct 31, 2008

I am amazed to read this complaint and of course the "Ex Employee" insider comment, let me respond as a six year employee.

We do strive to sell someone on the initial contact for the following reasons:
    A.)First contact is in general the most honest a customer will be in regards to mileage accuracy, and also any pre existing conditions.
    B.) The complaintee says we wouldn't just call back in 30 minutes, we talk to thousands of people daily who flat out lie to us as sales people claiming I need 24 hours or call me back next week. It is common in sales to hear these brush offs and lies so that for a legitimate client who really needs an hour we probe a little extra just to make sure that they are interested so we don't waste their time. I hope no one reading this ever has to experience calling someone who asked you to call them back in an hour and have their wife yell at you and call you a telemarketer, but it can be dispiriting.
    C.) We work with 2 100 year old insurance companies who quite honestly do not allow us to sign everybody up randomly with no control. Think of the present economic state of the mortgage lending field and how they let everyone get a loan without a care in the world. Now that industry is in meltdown, if we let customers call us broken down or on their own scheduele we would be bankrupt.

D.) Anyone reading this complaint and would like a legitmate overview of our company please go to www.continentalwarranty.net. All of our plans and our insurers are clearly spelled out without you spending a dime.

Thanks Lonnie Pitts Welcome Center Manager

• Fo
    Forrest Harper Nov 28, 2008

Unfortunately it appears Continental is not a reputable organization. I purchased a contract on my Nissan Titan in 2006 and it was supposed to cover everything including electronic parts. I was traveling a lot then and never read the details after receiving the papaerwork and even that had to be sent twice. Now that I have a problem with an IPDM part they refuse coverage. as it turns out there is very little they actually cover. The Nissan Dealer was very surprised stating that all the other warranty providers they have dealt with cover both IPDM and the ECU electrionic parts. Their sales tactics and the actual results are both undesirable. I should have known better and I hope others learn from my mistake and the mistake others have made. A simple google of their name with the word "complaint" after it will tell you more than enough to know you should beware of these people.

Never deal with them

Continental Warranty - Hated the fact that I asked for a quote and got a black mark because I would not commit the very next day. My car now registered as not qualified for a new car warranty. High pressure and not at all accommodating. Would never recommend...I received 3 calls in two days with high pressure to hurry up and buy or pay a down payment to look over the warranty after saying that I was not capable of paying that very day I was put on a list that will be posted as not able to get a new car warranty. Do not ever fill out any kind of survey to offer you free coupons that is how I got led to these people. Extremly mad...

Aggressive scare tactics

As I read a complaint of this company,it actually felt as if I wrote it myself. I called this company from the car dealer and did not have all my information with me and asked if I could call back. A manager (Anthony) got on the phone and told me that I could not call back and get the same deal. I told him they were reprogramming my keyless entry and then he replied "oh, so you have electrical problems?" like he was writing it in my file or something. He told me that he would wait while I went down in the service bay and collected my information. I told him my coat was in the car and I was not going out in the cold and that I would call back in about 30 minutes, not 30 days and again he refused to hang up. I was on my cell phone for 30 minutes with him already. He then told me that I was calling him, because no other companies were "knocking down my door" and I should do whatever he asked to get the deal done today!! I was so upset and felt that there aggressive scare tactics were ridiculous. I told him if he wanted my business that he would call me back and hung up. He called right back (I guess because I hung up on him), but I did not answer! I have since purchased my warranty through another company and am very satisfied.

• G
    g Jun 07, 2008

This company is clearly a high pressure scam that charges 1700$ for a piece of paper that is worthless.

Just go to Google and type in: "continentalwarranty +scam"

You will finds hundreds of pages of people complaining about how they paid big bucks for one of these 'policies', but then were told that they had no coverage when their car actually broke.

Pretty easy to sell insurance if you never have to pay a claim.

Don't get screwed...continental warranty is a SCAM!!!

• Ge
    Gerald Wyatt Jun 15, 2008

I have not received a statement either by mail or email of my warranty premiums. Just 2 phone calls in which I was hung up on when I was unable to tell the person who called that I wasn't sure of the make and model of the automobile. Please begin mailing me a statement each month so we can continue doing business with each other.